Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 12,168 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I wish you lots of luck with your move over here. I have been visiting Orlando for around 15 years and it's been my permanent home now for 3 years. Moved over from the UK. Where you live is a really important factor in how you will enjoy living over here. I live in a place called Hunters Creek and have previously lived in Dr Phillips (for a short spell). I much prefer Hunters Creek (neighborhood Schools), parks, walking trails, bike trails, dog parks, tennis, golf. It has it all here and the people are friendly but not snobby, more down to earth than Dr Phillips, oooops anybody, who lives in Dr Phillips, I don't mean to upset you but it's true.

There are also quite a few Brits here in Hunters Creek and they have all been extremely welcoming and friendly. When I first came here I didn't really want to mix much with Brits, BUT after a while of being here I enjoyed having some Brits around me. Now we have a great circle of friends and a full and thoroughly enjoyable life here.

Please p.m. me for more information. I'd love to be able to answer any questions.

Byee, Michelle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 04:13 PM

17 posts, read 73,162 times
Hey floridachick, I'm just across OBT from you, in Southchase! I have to agree, while Hunter's Creek is a nice high-class neighborhood, you definitely don't get all those snooty vibes like in Dr. Phillips (sign me up on floridachick's disclaimer for Dr. Phillips residents, but I did get bused up to school there for years, so it's not idle speculation). I'm still sticking by Southchase, only because our frontage strips are so convenient and we don't have JYP running through the middle. Of course, that's really convenient too, so it's all a matter of perspective. ^_^

Old 05-20-2007, 12:38 PM

55 posts, read 233,938 times
Default Sorry Mate

Okay so your in IT but you want to get in on an E2...CAN'T DO IT!!!!
Sorry but if your wife comes in on an E2 (what business?) it is near impossible for you to use that as a stepping stone to employment.You would have to keep the company producing or you must leave the US. Have you really looked into this you seem very nieve?
12 years is a good send your CV to companies and see, but to be truthfull there are plenty around here already!!
You also don't have enough money to be honests thats pocket change!!
an eligable E2 business will cost you that plus working capital.
I would recon on 350K plus to be safe.
Best bet is to talk to a relocation realtor here in Florida and see what they say.
I would not think you stand much of a chance as it stand though.P.S. How come you don't have your Co. now?
Turnover of 500K is good thought you would have a hell of a lot more in cash etc.
Regards

Old 06-05-2007, 10:15 AM

16 posts, read 86,118 times
To Jill and anyone else who is interested

I'm not sure what "Nirvana considers East Orlando, but I live in 32828 zip and love it. We are in Waterford area. Away from the hectic parts of town, low crime, A rated schools. You can get almost anywhere in under 30 min. though. Nearby Avalon Park has nice community feel, live events, restaurants in a small community environment. We go there all the time, 5 minutes from my home. I know what you mean about the strip malls with 0 character etc. There are pockets of good & bad as there are anywhere.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:09 PM

640 posts, read 3,075,417 times
Nirvana was in to bad mouthing all of East Orlando there for a while. He would lump anything east of I-4 into all of East Orlando. You're right, it is a very large area. I also live in Waterford Lakes and it's a great place to live.

On a side note to all the UK folks, there is a new entertainment complex opening soon. It is behind the Waterford Town Center. It will have an English pub along with about 50,000 sq. feet of entertainment space that will include 34 bowling lanes, billiards, darts, simulated golf, outside seating, etc. Not sure when it will be opening but I would think sometime soon by the way the building is coming along.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:47 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,741 times
My husband is british and what he always tell people is that America and England have all the same stuff, just slightly different. If you like hot weather and sunshine, you will find a place in Florida to love.

We have lived here nearly 3 years and his family just finally came to visit because we had their first grandchild. His parents had not left England for at least 15 years and always went on holiday to either Devon or Bournemouth. Now, since visiting us last January they have booked a trip to Sicily and have already booked a villa in Orlando for next April. They absolutely LOVED florida.
For one thing they have realized they could book the villas for two weeks for about the same price as one week in Devon.

You will love it too if you give it a chance. !!!!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:37 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Just want to say welcome to our country to all you Brits. It's not easy coming here the legal way but thank you for coming. I wish more would come!

Old 06-13-2007, 01:47 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Good luck with your visa - I am a licensed attorney in Florida, but I do not do immigration law.

However, I know some nice, reputable honest people that do - and plenty that I would never recommend to anyone. I would be happy to put you in contact with the "good" ones.

Also, BEWARE OF MORTGAGE BROKERS. Remember this is the US: caveat emptor applies. Do not think for a second that they will have any qualms at all about ripping you off.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,218 times
Default Hugh Morgan

Hi we read your posting regarding Hugh Morgan. We are taking legal action against him as we have been one of the unfortunate ones. Can you supply any details of anyone else in our position

Old 02-21-2008, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,218 times
Hope It Works For You But You Will Need A Lot More Cash Than You Think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando