Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 12:17 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,055,460 times

Advertisements

I am researching downtown condos, and there are some good rates at the Waverly for the location. I am concerned about the fact that it is an apartment conversion and not a true condo. Anyone experienced living there or know someone who has? How is the sound level inside the unit? How are the tenants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 06:48 PM

258 posts, read 325,602 times
AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, when I lived in Orlando in 2003 I rented there and fled like the Lutz's fled from the Amityville horror house. Here is the 411 on why I would never consider it if I where you.
1) Worst water pressure ever, it's Orlando so you have 300 days of summer, yet you can't shower because the water literally trickles out causing you to never feel clean.
2) Dog turd, dogs are allowed and there dogs go in the elevator and the halls routinely without being cleaned up.
3) The walls are ridiculously thin. If your neighbors have anyone over or are watching television, your night is over. I vividly recall hearing "YOU HAVE MAIL" every time my neighbor turned on his computer.
4) No bbq's allowed on terrace. Who wants to live in Florida and not be able to bbq?
AVOID AVOID

Old 08-14-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, when I lived in Orlando in 2003 I rented there and fled like the Lutz's fled from the Amityville horror house. Here is the 411 on why I would never consider it if I where you.
1) Worst water pressure ever, it's Orlando so you have 300 days of summer, yet you can't shower because the water literally trickles out causing you to never feel clean.
2) Dog turd, dogs are allowed and there dogs go in the elevator and the halls routinely without being cleaned up.
3) The walls are ridiculously thin. If your neighbors have anyone over or are watching television, your night is over. I vividly recall hearing "YOU HAVE MAIL" every time my neighbor turned on his computer.
4) No bbq's allowed on terrace. Who wants to live in Florida and not be able to bbq?
AVOID AVOID
1. I think this is a problem in many high-rises...the higher up you go the worse it gets. Also, It's pretty common now for apartments/condos/new homes to install low-flow shower heads if they are footing the water bill. I thought the same in my old condo until I bought a new shower head (Speakman Anystream) and removed the flow restrictor with some needle nose pliers...amazing difference.
2. I need a place that allows dogs, but I would expect people to clean up after them if they live in a nice condo though. That's messed up!
3. This is a deal breaker! That is what I was mainly concerned about with this place. I guess I will have to spend the money to get a condo-built place.
4. This is the case in most states...where are you allowed to have a BBQ on your balcony?

Old 08-14-2009, 03:54 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,147,258 times
I have heard of the same things with Waverly....thin walls and low shower pressure.
Some other buildings I would be cautious about are the Metropolitan, Uptown, Park North, and The Grande.
I'd heard some good things about Premier Trade except that it's a bit more for the party crowd.
The View is one of the best Newer Condo buildings IMO along with The Sanctuary and Star Tower (though too expensive), and some of the older low rises like Eola South, Thornton Central, and 530 East. The Paramount, 101 Eola, and a few countless others may also be worth a look too.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:36 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,073 times
I believe it is state law that any BBQ equipment must be 12 feet or something away from the building. Obviously, that prevents you from BBQing in a high-rise.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
It's a fire code that applies to all multi-unit buildings. I think the exception might be a duplex.

It doesn't apply to owner occupied properties--heck my grill is built into my lanai and runs off the natural gas line for the house.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:28 PM

The ones we are looking at seriously are the Vue, Paramount, and 101 Eola. We toured the Paramount and we were totally impressed from top to bottom...that is a beautiful building. Sanctuary and Star Tower are too expensive. Solaire and 55 West, though very nice, are a little TOO close to the action. The other cheaper ones are not a consideration as we don't want to be in a frat house.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:20 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Pete,

What about Aspire? Close to the action, but not too close.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Pete,

What about Aspire? Close to the action, but not too close.
Aspire is really nice, but a 2/2 at the Vue right next door is less expensive and just as nice. They are comparable as far as amenities, but Aspire has no on-property dog park that I know of. We like that feature so you don't have to walk out on the street level to walk the dogs. We were just down at Lake Eola for a walk last night...such a nice atmosphere there. Tons of people walking around in the evening. I can't wait to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: