Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,346 times

Advertisements

Orlando ranked #4 most popular places that people would want to live in a poll that was done by forbes. I'm so happy to hear that the majority of people choose this city. I'll be moving soon from Ugly Albany,NY and all my friends that live in Orlando have told me that I'll love it. On this board it seems that it's a 50/50 love hate thing for Orlando which is such a different perception of most people across the nation as the poll indicates. This board seems to lean to the Northeast and I have no reason why because everyone I talk to here hates it and wants to get out. New Yorkers and New jersey people are the only people who leave there state in droves and then complain about everything once they get to the destination. It's hillarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 09:34 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,346,605 times
You sound like you are about to break that cycle then Let us know once you get there how you're doing! Good luck!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
The majority of people who move here and ahte it are the ones that come with no money, no job, and no plan.

Those who come with employment lined up or a marketable skillset and cash in the bank to support themselves until they land a good job are usually happy.

Those who come thinking they'll like it because Mickey lives here are usually very disappointed--and have no one to blame but themself for their bad choices.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:42 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,400 times
annerk puts it perfectly from what i've SEEN online (I haven't moved yet, but i'm planning to be in the second line she talks about ..and from the Northeast too)

Old 08-18-2009, 10:52 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,346,605 times
What if I come here with cash and a job AND I like Mickey? Surely I won't have been the only one

Old 08-18-2009, 10:57 AM

258 posts, read 811,980 times
Take what you read on city-data with a grain of salt. There are a lot of generalizations thrown around when it comes to city discussions. There's also a fairly high amount of regional pride, from posters from all regions. So getting unbiased opinions is rather hard to come by.

That being said, this is a great resource for specific questions.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:01 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,693 times
Wow i guess we've all determined what the word prefrence means

Old 08-18-2009, 11:06 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Wow i guess we've all determined what the word prefrence means
you are obviously new to reading these threads, lol... most of us understand preference and opinion, but read through some of the threads where someone talks about moving to orlando, and you will see people get pretty intense about how its terrible and why would they want to be there, etc...

it can get pretty ridiculous, lol

Old 08-18-2009, 01:16 PM

237 posts, read 1,059,216 times
I'm from the Albany, NY area also and I recently moved to the Orlando area. Like you, I read a lot of negative things about Orlando on these boards, but so far I'm loving it. We were just back in NY for the Saratoga Track and although we've got some friends and a few things we like there, I really don't miss much of anything else. I love all the options Orlando has to offer as far as entertainment goes. Love the weather.

I've encountered a few quirky things, but that's fine. Small price to pay for a much improved lifestyle compared to how I was living in Albany. For me, it's not really anything so wrong about the Capital region, it's just too cold for me to enjoy. Lots of my friends love it up there. They like winter activities like skiing and sledding. It's a great, safe place for families.

So if you can take the heat and have your finances figured out down here, I think you'll enjoy the area. If you're a winter person, then you might not be so happy. If you don't have money or a job, you might be miserable. There's just more to spend money on down here than in Albany. I totally agree with what annerk posted.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:33 PM

398 posts, read 729,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The majority of people who move here and ahte it are the ones that come with no money, no job, and no plan.

Those who come with employment lined up or a marketable skillset and cash in the bank to support themselves until they land a good job are usually happy.

Those who come thinking they'll like it because Mickey lives here are usually very disappointed--and have no one to blame but themself for their bad choices.
You dont have to have a "a marketable skill, or cash in the bank" to realize that Orlando has many problems. High real estate taxes, high home and car insurance, bad education, high crime, a limited job market, rude people etc, etc. You just need some common sense and a brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando