Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:02 PM

62 posts, read 253,055 times

Advertisements

As a prospective UCF student I look at it like this...Quantity can only be good for a young school. If 5- 10,000 people graduate with some sort of degree each year, recognition can only go up, which leads to support from those with jack in their pocketx, which in turn will equal more research and endowment dollars. That will bring an even better education quality for the following generation kids. We all have to start somewhere so the current students the have the chance to build the school from the ground up. which is cool in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 09:42 AM

621 posts, read 2,219,061 times
I'm a UCF graduate, currently in IT... I chose UCF over UF because of the Engineering and CS programs they offered--this was nearly 10 years ago though. Don't let the naysayers tell you about quantity over quality... I'd put UCF's tech majors up against any university in the state of FL. Additionally, the partnerships between UCF and the local tech companies is a HUGE benefit for graduating students--it was for me.

ps. how many CS programs in the nation require a Foundation Exam in order to take upper level courses? That should provide some insight to the quality of the program.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:06 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Good for UCF, but I still think that it doesn't have anything to do with quality of education. My BS in Hospitality Management/Finance from there was an absolute joke. I usually tell people that I got a business degree because I've become so embarrassed that I basically wasted 3 years on calculating IRR and learning how to cook.

But...luckily it's water under the bridge for me...

Old 09-01-2009, 09:11 AM

228 posts, read 536,839 times
Go Knights! Anybody going to the season opener this weeekend?

Old 09-01-2009, 10:33 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Good for UCF, but I still think that it doesn't have anything to do with quality of education. My BS in Hospitality Management/Finance from there was an absolute joke. I usually tell people that I got a business degree because I've become so embarrassed that I basically wasted 3 years on calculating IRR and learning how to cook.

But...luckily it's water under the bridge for me...

Did you not read the course curriculum before you signed up? Sounds like a personal issue not a quality issue... The engineering degree offered at UCF is highly regarded my many corporations in the public and private sector, and if the education was lacking, the math would prove it out in that environment.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigs11111 View Post
...building itself like cancer cells. Quantity and quality are two completely different things.
Could not have said it better.

When I attended orientation in 1999, they went on and on about how their goal is to be in the top 10 largest schools in the US within 10 years. They sure did it...flying by at ludicrous speed, leaving many quality aspects behind for the sake of growth.

Speaking for the civil engineering department alone, you're hard pressed to find ANY professor (hell, any staff member) that has 10% of the dedication, care, and concern of that of a UF professor. And that pains me to say since UF is my arch enemy in the engineering world! I can't tell you how many times I'd show up to a competition with a handful of raggedy scraggly UCF engineering students and a professor "mentor" who couldn't care less, only to be completely put in my place and made jealous of the UF gang...tons of motivated kids, professors who were genuinely interested in the kids and their competitions. It was sad.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Did you not read the course curriculum before you signed up? Sounds like a personal issue not a quality issue... The engineering degree offered at UCF is highly regarded my many corporations in the public and private sector, and if the education was lacking, the math would prove it out in that environment.
Uhh... read my post again.

I was speaking of my Hospitality Degree that I got before I went back and got a degree in EE.

The EE degree was fine, great even.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:41 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Uhh... read my post again.

I was speaking of my Hospitality Degree that I got before I went back and got a degree in EE.

The EE degree was fine, great even.

Yes, I realized you got a Hospitality degree, which involved food management...which is why I said, didn't you read the curriculum before you went? And, if they were so sadly lacking the first time around, why did you go back there?

Metallisteve, Yeah, granted, the larger you get, the less one on one attention you will be given. That is sometimes one thing that does get lost in the shuffle.
But it is college after all, not high school, and the students should be able to cut it without someone holding their hand. BUT, I will say, there is something to be said for the smaller Universities as well! Doesn't mean the education at a larger one is crap tho either...I have gone to none in Florida, I am only making conjecture based upon opinions of folks I know in the fields I am referring to...so...may not count for all that much after all...lol!

Old 09-02-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Yes, I realized you got a Hospitality degree, which involved food management...which is why I said, didn't you read the curriculum before you went? And, if they were so sadly lacking the first time around, why did you go back there?
Yeah, I did and trust me, I blame myself not asking people rather than just looking at the course descriptions--which is way I went back and got an engineering degree. However, I did feel as if they misrepresented some of the levels of difficulty in the course load... it was kind of shown to me by a counselor at the college as a "specified" business degree, whereas it was a tad different than that. I was working for a hospitality company at the time, so that was part of my decision.

I went back because my husband got a degree in engineering, and I witnessed first-hand that that was a better suited program for me.

Realize, if I said anything against UCF overall in my initial post--that wasn't my intention...I was just speaking of my first degree experience.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:54 PM

910 posts, read 2,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually you are not guaranteed admission to UCF as a transfer student from a CC in Florida. You are only guaranteed transfer to a Florida state university, but there is no guarantee of getting the university of your choice.
Ok, so let's say if someone get's rejected at their first choice, UCF, then gets rejected at their second choice, FSU, then UF has no choice but to accept the person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando