Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:46 AM

37 posts, read 80,858 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a possible job opportunity to either Orlando or Jacksonville. I have a young son and I wanted to know which town is better. I'm originally from Miami, Florida. I moved to Georgia 3 yrs ago and feel that I made a big mistake. I have lived in both Dublin, GA and now in Warner Robins, GA. I can't take these bible thumping hypocrites anymore. I have never been able to adjust to Georgia and I want to move back to florida. I just don't want to go back to south florida. I have been to Orlando a few times and I like it. But I have heard both good and bad things about Jacksonville as well. Just curious about which city would be better to raise a child as a single parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 10:59 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
If you don't want bible thumpers I am not sure Jacksonville is for you. I really consider Jacksonville to be 'the South'. Orlando has more of the South Florida attitude...people are ruder, etc, but it has a certain Florida vibe that Jacksonville does not. However, you are going to get better schools in Jax, and nicer people. This one is a tough call. Personally I much prefer Orlando to Jax, but I am not raising a family either. Orlando is just a lot more fun and prettier.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:06 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:25 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
You cant stand bible thumpers and you're considering Jax?

I would choose Jax over Orlando all day.

Like Pete C said....... in Orlando, people are rude, like S FL. Also Orlando was rated 2nd to last in "best places to raise a family"... Miami was last. Jax didnt score wonderfully if I remember correctly, I think 4 or 5 FL cities were in the bottom 10 or 12 or so, but Jax scored better than Orlando.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:54 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
I agree with Pete C, Jacksonville has nothing for me. I like Tampa and that may be another option but Orlando is a much better option for me over Jax.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:09 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
I would pick Orlando, its more progressive. And there are plenty of nice family oriented communities with good schools

Old 11-11-2009, 05:51 PM

Jax is more laid-back, southern, and closer to the beach. All things you obviously know if you are from FL originally. Orlando has changed a lot more than Jax has, so it just depends on what you like/dislike about the two. I'm not sure why you said Miami is out for you as an potion, but Orlando is much more like Miami than Jax is. I'd say Jax is the complete opposite of Miami. It just depends on what your dislikes were about Miami.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:57 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Orlando is more like Miami compared to Jacksonville yes. But Miami is still A LOT worse than Orlando when it comes to things like crime, poverty, percentage of people who can't speak English, etc. Orlando would be a great choice for you.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Orlando is more like Miami compared to Jacksonville yes. But Miami is still A LOT worse than Orlando when it comes to things like crime, poverty, percentage of people who can't speak English, etc. Orlando would be a great choice for you.

I agree........ I hope it stays that way. Poverty and (maybe) crime will probably always be higher in Miami than Orlando.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:07 PM

Those were my main issues with Miami. The crime, alot of non-english speaking people, and poverty. Not to mention the cost of living there. I felt that before I moved to georgia, I felt that I did not do enough research and I have regretted it since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando