Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 09:26 AM

141 posts, read 589,376 times

Advertisements

Hi,

How prevelant are the snakes and gators seriously in the neighborhoods?
We are still looking at: city of Conway, and an triangle area between the streets of: conroy road, S apopka Vineland, the turnpike, and s. hiawassee rd. These are the two areas we liked. We did like a few still in Dr. Phillips, but they were few and far between.

We would prefer to live away from a lake. I really don't want a lot of trees, either.

We have dogs, and worry about them along with the kids.
Still looking at houses, under $400,000.

thanks,
still orlando bound, counting down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 09:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
I have yet to see a gator anywhere in my neighborhood and have seen snakes five times.

Two were very small garter snakes, one was a harmless (and beneficial) smaller corn snake, one was a larger black racer (also beneficial and would rather run then fight), and one was unknown, but I suspect also a corn snake.

I've been in Clermont for over five years now. I worry more about the coyotes.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:45 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Not common to see them in neighborhoods. I've been here for 9 1/2 years and think I've seen 2 snakes that weren't harmful. They run away from you. Keep in mind my neighborhood is woodsy and I live by a lake. When I live in Lake Mary, never saw any. Lizards, yes. They don't do anything to you and they are no bigger that 3 inches. Gators, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWorld Bound View Post
Hi,

How prevelant are the snakes and gators seriously in the neighborhoods?
We are still looking at: city of Conway, and an triangle area between the streets of: conroy road, S apopka Vineland, the turnpike, and s. hiawassee rd. These are the two areas we liked. We did like a few still in Dr. Phillips, but they were few and far between.

We would prefer to live away from a lake. I really don't want a lot of trees, either.

We have dogs, and worry about them along with the kids.
Still looking at houses, under $400,000.

thanks,
still orlando bound, counting down

Old 11-12-2009, 12:19 PM

71 posts, read 178,426 times
I live in Saint Cloud and no gators. We have every now and then common small snakes that are easy enough to get rid of (nothing remotely scary that is venomous or with teeth or colorful).

The geckos are everywhere, but as long as they dont get into the house, they stay clear of you.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:52 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,351 times
The saying is true: ANY body of water in Florida could possibly house a gator. I've seen them in places that people would swear there is no gator...private ponds/lakes to drainage ditches, even brackish water out near the Cape, and they've even been known to head out into the ocean for brief stints. The only time they are dangerous is when they've been wrongly coaxed into thinking humans provide a food source (that is, dummies feeding hotdogs or whatever to them from the side of the road or a dock) and when they're nesting. Other than that, an alligator is docile and relatively dumb (small brains and a lethargic attitude).

I say all this not to frighten you but to educate you. Know where gators could be and what can **** them off and you'll be much better than living a life of fear somewhere that you really want to live.

Snakes are a more common occurrence. The vast majority of them are non-venomous. The rarities are water moccasins and rattle snakes...both can be found throughout FL, but are relatively more rare.

As for dog and kid incidents with snakes and gators, they are very far and few between. The last alligator attack on a person (that I remember) was in the late 90's/early 2000's. I remember the news reporting a statistic of something like less than 20 gator attacks since the early 1900's. As for dogs, I know of only one attack and it was over a decade ago. I'm sure there are more since it doesn't necessarily make the news.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:27 PM

59 posts, read 249,752 times
Gators and poisonous snakes are very rare in urban areas, you should have no problem.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:49 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,114 times
Here is a link with alligator attack statistics for you...17 lethal in FL since 1948...that is hardly any...really...Of course I feel for those 17 families, but there are lots of people in Florida, so statistically...it's a rare occurrence. It also states most of these times, the people were doing something they should not have been.

Alligator Attacks Since 1948, by State | Lethal App News

There is a gator in our development, but the families on that pond decided to leave it there for now...the Wildlife folks say he should move on once the food he wants is gone, and he will go back to the Big Econ River. But, they can always call and have it removed if they feel a threat. (they will however, kill it in that instance, that is why they are leaving it for now)

As for snakes, I have been here since July and have had one black racer under my A/C and a garter or corn snake in my pool...very tiny ones both and harmless both. We have anoles and skinks for lizards, both eat bugs...yay!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
And if I recall, one of those alligator attacks was on a moron who was hopped up on meth and decided to go skinny dipping in a pond in Polk Country one night a couple of years ago. Darwinism at it's finest...

Old 04-26-2010, 06:30 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Unwelcome vistor - Gator found outside Clearwater home - Bay News 9 (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2010/4/26/611825.html?title=Unwelcome+vistor+-+Gator+found+outside+Clearwater+home+ - broken link)

Rare but when it's your yard it is 100%

Old 06-01-2010, 05:38 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,114 times
I have to ammend my post as I just came across this bad boy in my yard...in fact, the daughter and I were barefooting it...checking out our newly planted citrus tree...when I spied him. I had to yell at her to back it up...as she nearly tread on him. Quickly I had her run and get the camera. He really is a very shy boy...he simply sat there..not moving once she backed up and he let go of his striking pose (whew...that was scary for a minute...he really blends in well!)

I do believe him to be a water moccasin...cottonmouth...call it what you like.

I left him there to do his business of catching rodents and hopefully to go back into the pond out there...I will keep a close eye on my doggy doing his business however!
Attached Thumbnails
animals - gators snakes lizards-dsc08979-copy.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando