Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 05:34 AM

67 posts, read 128,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
No I do not think you are trying to argue with me at all. I definitely understand all of your points. I also do not want to live in a city filled with crackheads but those victimized by those crimes tend to know the offender. That is all I was saying. I have had a good experience since I moved to Orlando in 2005 and so I think someone relocating here can also have a great experience if they do their homework.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you live before? I have been here for close to 30 years, both of my kids were born here. I know older people that were born here and tell me they remember the area around TG Lee Dairy being cow pasture. I remember going horseback riding on Rouse Road in the woods. It's all subdivisions now. Things have changed a lot here. So ultimately it is all relative. There are places I think are much worse than Orlando. I lived in S. Cal for a half a year once and hated it so much I would have walked back to Florida if I had to. I am sure Orlando is still a much better place to live than...Detroit or some place like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 05:53 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,150,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgs123 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where did you live before? I have been here for close to 30 years, both of my kids were born here. I know older people that were born here and tell me they remember the area around TG Lee Dairy being cow pasture. I remember going horseback riding on Rouse Road in the woods. It's all subdivisions now. Things have changed a lot here. So ultimately it is all relative. There are places I think are much worse than Orlando. I lived in S. Cal for a half a year once and hated it so much I would have walked back to Florida if I had to. I am sure Orlando is still a much better place to live than...Detroit or some place like that
I grew up in Vancouver, WA in the Portland Oregon metro area. It is known for its great schools, low crime, and many non chain restaurants and unique spots... but it bored the heck out of me. The weather was horrible, the people were weird, there was almost no diversity. A lot of my summers growing up my family and I travelled to California, Las Vegas, El Paso TX (relatives there). I also lived in Spokane WA for one year. Through work and leisure I have travelled to almost every city and state in the US so I have been around, but I have really only LIVED in three places: Vancouver/Portland, Spokane, and Orlando. I much prefer Orlando and Florida in general. I live in the Conway area, work in the UCF area, and go to school at Rollins. So on the weekends I spend most of my time in the downtown and Winter Park areas. I also frequent the Disney theme parks. I probably go to Disney about 4-5 times a year or more. I go to Universal about 2 times a year. I go to Downtown Disney all the time, mainly for special events and I like the AMC theater there. I was mainly looking to relocate for school and chose Orlando. I figured if I did not like it I could always move back or somewhere else. I am pretty happy here so I do not see myself going anywhere. It is funny that you mention not liking Southern California. If I were to pick any place over Florida it would be there. I do not want to live anywhere cold, though I do like to visit places further north. When I moved it was mainly between California, Arizona, and Florida. The Orlando that you describe has been described to me many times, but Orlando as it is now is pretty much the one I know. I have been here since 2005 and the only things that have really changed is more new stores, neighborhoods and different types of people moving in and out. I think this is a great place to live with a lot of great attributes and advantages that people take for granted and seem to not appreciate. I really like almost every part of the state I have been to as well. I think the beach areas are beautiful and Tampa, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Key West, etc and the areas between all offer a little different experience and environment.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:23 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,696,446 times
Quote:
rouse road still has a lot of unused land, homes on giant lots and horse barns that offer horseback riding to the community. But their are a few subdivisions and a high school off rouse road now causing a lot of traffic for that small two lane road. Which is why they're in the process of widening it to a 4 lane road with a median. I personally wish they didn't widen it so it could keep its country feel even though is surrounded fully by suburban development. I guess it will still have somewhat of a country feel though.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I grew up in Vancouver, WA in the Portland Oregon metro area.

It is funny that you mention not liking Southern California. If I were to pick any place over Florida it would be there.
I have never been to WA, or Oregon. Will visit some day soon. I dislike very much that Orlando seems to be turning into LA. I very much dislike that place. I noticed something on this forum. Most people that really like Orlando have not lived here very long. It has change a lot. I don't like all the people that moved here and all the crime they brought with them. I think it's because of the theme parks. That's what caused all of the low paying jobs in the tourist industry that attracted a bunch of illegals and a bunch of various other rejects from all over the country.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
rouse road still has a lot of unused land, homes on giant lots and horse barns that offer horseback riding to the community. But their are a few subdivisions and a high school off rouse road now causing a lot of traffic for that small two lane road. Which is why they're in the process of widening it to a 4 lane road with a median. I personally wish they didn't widen it so it could keep its country feel even though is surrounded fully by suburban development. I guess it will still have somewhat of a country feel though.

The only horse barn I have seen there lately ( not been there in a while) was next to Blanchard Park where people get murdered while jogging
I can't believe how much woods they have turned into subdivisions. No wonder the is too much housing here.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:56 PM

16 posts, read 28,043 times
WOW, im surprised about all the negative vibes Orlando has gotten on here. There is crime everywhere, some areas more than others. I live in the outskirts of Orlando (casselberry)area and its nice. Seminole county overall has better schools than Orange Co.and less crime. Orlando is located in Orange co. Seminole co. is the outskirts and suburbs of Orlando. Try looking for apts out there. If you are looking for a small town with less congestion and traffic try Chulouta, Florida Geneva, Florida, hey, you never know... you might end up liking it here and never moving back to Miss.!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:53 AM

23 posts, read 57,188 times
Angry HELLO!? Anyone home??

SGS123 (and people like you)
HELLO!?
All you're focusing on is yourself, yourself...
GO look at ANY other major city's news. You will be shocked (oh my!) to see the SAME things happen in every major city. You make Orlando out to be this big bad wolf. Speaking as someone relocating, people with your attitude and motive (whatever it is) really turn people off, when there are pros and cons to EVERY city.
I can't believe how you look at life.

"Everyone I know has been either robbed, their car broken into or their house broken into, and NONE of them live in 'bad areas'."

-Are you KIDDING Me?? Please. I don't even have to say any more to that one.

You (and many others) write "it wasn't like this 10, 20 years ago". And that seems to be all of your complaints. Cities EVOLVE. Whichever way they go is unpredictable. Just because it's not how YOU expect it to be and picture perfect like it might have been when the city was fledgling and there weren't many people, doesn't mean you have to bash it.

Look at how Orlando has evolved. I mean, the city isn't even THAT OLD. Now look at a city like Los Angeles. Same crime and having personally lived there, you don't hear people saying, "OH my god, I need to move out! It wasn't like this 10 years ago!"

You have a bad attitude and others like you need to do something productive with their lives rather than sit on these message boards.

Myself and many others are using these boards to get feedback regarding relocating. They're very useful, but when we stumble upon a post like yours with it's naivety, racial epithets and lack of knowledge it disheartens me (us) and makes us lose faith in humanity...

Keep it in check.

Quote:
I don't think complaining about crime is exaggerated here, another shooting today, in a Home Depot parking lot, plus a home invasion , one shot. They are not all in "bad areas" either. Just last week I got a email at work " don't leave the building" when they were looking for that crazy guy that shot a bunch of people in an office building.
For anyone wanting to move here, I suggest you look at the local Orlando news for a few weeks. Lots of traffic accidents and lots of crime. It's a fact, not just a few people's opinion. My daughter goes to the best rated highschool in Orlando and one girl in her class was murdered by gang members last year. Stuff like that happens all the time. Everyone I know has been either robbed, their car broken into or their house broken into, and NONE of them live in "bad areas". I have a very good idea of why this is also, but that's just my opinion, so I won't write it. It was not like this in Orlando 20 years ago.

I suppose if we ever wish to sell our house and move, I should not post things like that above, better stop

Old 12-03-2009, 02:30 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,150,500 times
I was thinking it was quite interesting that Orlando gets such a bad rap and where I moved from (WA State) is always being discussed as the place to be to find safety, better schools and a more educated population base. Yet when horrible major crimes take place there, it is never blown out of proportion like it is here. There were 4 police officers killed in Seattle and it was all over the CNN headline, but somehow Orlando is the crime cesspool on this forum. It is pure silliness IMO.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:57 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,097 times
I would be more worried about how much debt you are going into for the MMI degree than crime in O-town. You need to research your career options for after you have the degree. Are you really going to make enough money to justify the huge expense? I'm not trying to knock MMI. My husband went there and said it was a great school. However, he soon found that career options were a different story.

Otherwise, you should be fine for two years. Just use common sense. Don't walk/jog, etc alone. Park close to the buildings and under lights, esp at night. Make sure your apt complex is safe. (check the local police for crime stats) I can't stress this last part enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando