Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 06:06 PM

3 posts, read 5,631 times

Advertisements

My husband & I currently live in PA & we are both sick of the cold long winters. My father lives in Kissimmee & we go down several times a year to visit him, we both love Florida but not the Kissimmee/Orlando area to live. After doing some research, Lake Mary seems to be the place for us, my father works in Lake Mary & loves it .We have never been there but have been to several other parts of Florida. we are waiting until i finish school for LPN in May. Does anyone what the job market is like for LPNs there & the pay? My husband would also like to get a job in law enforecment. Can you tell me about Lake Mary, the good & the bad. We are both late 20's & no childen, yet. is there a lot to do there? We do not want to live in a secluded area or a place where you have to drive 15 minutes to get to a store or restaurant. is it a busy town with things to do? What is your overall opinion about Lake Mary, likes & dislikes?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Lake Mary is not secluded and if you drove 15 minutes you would be 3 suburbs over. There is a fair amount of shopping and dining options in and immediately around Lake Mary. It is a laid back suburban area, but I really like it there. You don't feel like you're in a small town at all but also don't feel like you're in a ridiculously overbuilt bedroom community, translation= they left some trees, and peaceful side streets intact. There are places to eat, shop, see a movie, and even some nice spots to go out and socialize, maybe have a drink and dance. Plus as I mentioned, 15 minutes of driving into Orlando would have you almost there w/o traffic and 15 minutes in the opposite direction will have you in some beautiful river country to satisfy those cravings as well. IMO, Lake Mary is a very well situated suburb which ranks 8 out of 10 for me. With a future SunRail stop I might upgrade the ranking to a 9 of 10 since having 2 methods of public transit and a 4 year college is pretty tough to beat.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:03 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s81chubbs View Post
My husband & I currently live in PA & we are both sick of the cold long winters. My father lives in Kissimmee & we go down several times a year to visit him, we both love Florida but not the Kissimmee/Orlando area to live. After doing some research, Lake Mary seems to be the place for us, my father works in Lake Mary & loves it .We have never been there but have been to several other parts of Florida. we are waiting until i finish school for LPN in May. Does anyone what the job market is like for LPNs there & the pay? My husband would also like to get a job in law enforecment. Can you tell me about Lake Mary, the good & the bad. We are both late 20's & no childen, yet. is there a lot to do there? We do not want to live in a secluded area or a place where you have to drive 15 minutes to get to a store or restaurant. is it a busy town with things to do? What is your overall opinion about Lake Mary, likes & dislikes?? Thanks!
I hear ya on all the things you stated about not driving 15 or minutes to the stores. I moved from the Poconos in PA and Lake Mary is sooo much better! Great choice! Stores, restaurants, entertainment and more are 1-5 miles the most. It is definately not secluded but not urban either.

As for jobs, you'll just have to apply to find out what's available. I'm sure you can land a job in a nursing home or doctor's office. I'm not sure about law enforcement though.

Do a search at the top right corner for Lake Mary. There are several threads with very good info about Lake Mary.

Godd luck! Where are you in PA?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:29 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times
I don't know what type of work you are looking to get but if you are looking at working in a hospital setting, you can open your search to Winter Park as well...there are at least 2 hospitals there. Florida Hospital Winter Park and Florida Hospital (south? or east) I forget what it's called exactly but it is on Orange Avenue just outside of Winter Park in Orlando.

Winter Park has some very nice areas as well! (It is big, so there are some not so nice areas too, so be sure to check it out)

Old 10-08-2010, 05:03 AM

3 posts, read 5,631 times
Thanks for the post. I live in Kingston, its by Wilkes-Barre, we used to live in Stroudsburg. Where did you live in the Poconos? How long ago did you move to Lake Mary?

Old 10-09-2010, 08:12 PM

8 posts, read 68,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Lake Mary is not secluded and if you drove 15 minutes you would be 3 suburbs over. There is a fair amount of shopping and dining options in and immediately around Lake Mary. It is a laid back suburban area, but I really like it there. You don't feel like you're in a small town at all but also don't feel like you're in a ridiculously overbuilt bedroom community, translation= they left some trees, and peaceful side streets intact. There are places to eat, shop, see a movie, and even some nice spots to go out and socialize, maybe have a drink and dance. Plus as I mentioned, 15 minutes of driving into Orlando would have you almost there w/o traffic and 15 minutes in the opposite direction will have you in some beautiful river country to satisfy those cravings as well. IMO, Lake Mary is a very well situated suburb which ranks 8 out of 10 for me. With a future SunRail stop I might upgrade the ranking to a 9 of 10 since having 2 methods of public transit and a 4 year college is pretty tough to beat.
Hi! my family is considering a move to Orlando as well. some questions for the local posters are:
1) can someone comment on the daily commute between Lake Mary/Heathrow and Lake Nona? or between Lake Mary and UCF Main. We want to know if this is a doable during rush hour and what would be the average commute time?

2) where are the best public IB and magnet schools - for math and sciences and languages?

Old 10-09-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s81chubbs View Post
Thanks for the post. I live in Kingston, its by Wilkes-Barre, we used to live in Stroudsburg. Where did you live in the Poconos? How long ago did you move to Lake Mary?
Yup, I know all of those. Moved to Lake Mary 11 years ago from Greentown and never will go back. Plenty to do here. It is very convenient with everything 5-10 minutes away. Also, it is safe. The thing I don't care for are cookie cutter neighborhoods. Although, there are other options. It depends what you like. Everything else, I do like.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSS View Post
Hi! my family is considering a move to Orlando as well. some questions for the local posters are:
1) can someone comment on the daily commute between Lake Mary/Heathrow and Lake Nona? or between Lake Mary and UCF Main. We want to know if this is a doable during rush hour and what would be the average commute time?

2) where are the best public IB and magnet schools - for math and sciences and languages?
I think Lake Nona is too far, especially in rush hour. LM to UCF is about 30 minutes.

Seminole High has an IB program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando