Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:17 PM

155 posts, read 196,999 times

Advertisements

I think this is a great idea. Those 45,000 Haitians will be a great addition to Orlando. I think Orlando should welcome them all and encourage more to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 02:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyPhanatic View Post
I think this is a great idea. Those 45,000 Haitians will be a great addition to Orlando. I think Orlando should welcome them all and encourage more to come.
I think that we should send them all to Moorestown.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:39 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyPhanatic View Post
Welcome back, DailyJournalist.

I would think that Collingswood would be a much better fit, being right down the road from Camden and all.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:27 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
Can the schools handle an influx of new students? If I recall correctly, the feds just cut some of the funding to Orlando area schools because student population numbers weren't as high as forecast.

FCAT testing is coming up soon and any new students will have to take the test. I also recall that their scores count if they arrive within a certain window of the test date.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:07 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
The news is saying they are being flown here and being picked up by family members who are taking them to other cities throughout the US, this is just the main landing ground. They said the major cities they are going to are Boston NYC and Miami, They're being flown to Orlando because its conveniently located and has a lot of hotel rooms to keep them in until they leave. Everyone of them who are coming here are US citizens, who are the wealthier Haitians, they have the right to come to the country they are citizens of. There are only 45,000 of US citizens in Haiti, thats less than the amount of dead bodies they've found so far, and way less than the 1.6 million homeless Haitians right now in Haiti.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:08 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Welcome back, DailyJournalist.

I would think that Collingswood would be a much better fit, being right down the road from Camden and all.
agreed. haha

Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,579,671 times
I was living in Houston during the whole Katrina debacle. Houston's population grew significantly when everybody evacuated New Orleans, and most of them stayed after the fact when New Orleans was all but destroyed. Since many of the New Orleaneans were on government assistance, they were used to being taken care of. Houston generously provided them free housing, free utilities, and food vouchers for a year with the thought that they'd easily become self-sufficient and have a job by the time the year was up. After a year, when the city was going to end their assistance and make them pay for their own existence, they put up a huge stink. I couldn't believe it when the city extended their benefits for another full year. When that year was up, the same scenario repeated itself. I left Houston to move here about 18 months ago, and when I left they were still living off of our city. Crime was also up significantly along with record murder rates. I hope Orlando isn't going to fall into the same trap.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
The news is saying they are being flown here and being picked up by family members who are taking them to other cities throughout the US, this is just the main landing ground. They said the major cities they are going to are Boston NYC and Miami, They're being flown to Orlando because its conveniently located and has a lot of hotel rooms to keep them in until they leave. Everyone of them who are coming here are US citizens, who are the wealthier Haitians, they have the right to come to the country they are citizens of. There are only 45,000 of US citizens in Haiti, thats less than the amount of dead bodies they've found so far, and way less than the 1.6 million homeless Haitians right now in Haiti.
Hotel rooms that WE are paying for. If they are so "wealthy" they should be paying their own way once they land on US soil. I have no problem using our military resources to extricate US citizens from Haiti, but once they land here, I don't believe we have a further obligation to them.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
I was living in Houston during the whole Katrina debacle. Houston's population grew significantly when everybody evacuated New Orleans, and most of them stayed after the fact when New Orleans was all but destroyed. Since many of the New Orleaneans were on government assistance, they were used to being taken care of. Houston generously provided them free housing, free utilities, and food vouchers for a year with the thought that they'd easily become self-sufficient and have a job by the time the year was up. After a year, when the city was going to end their assistance and make them pay for their own existence, they put up a huge stink. I couldn't believe it when the city extended their benefits for another full year. When that year was up, the same scenario repeated itself. I left Houston to move here about 18 months ago, and when I left they were still living off of our city. Crime was also up significantly along with record murder rates. I hope Orlando isn't going to fall into the same trap.
We had a large number of refugess to Orlando after Katrina, same story, different city.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:53 AM

42 posts, read 119,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
The land of opportunity and Free for all unless your one of those middle class workers who have to pay taxes and get taxed for everything they can possibly think of. I'm retired but the way things are with taxes, electric bills tripling, water the same and every other thing we pay for, I may be going back to work too. It just never ends. I guess we can pay for this too, what the hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando