Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I never said they were "well off" and in my earlier post i never said they were "wealthy". Im saying they are MORE "well off" and MORE "wealthy" compared to there fellow haitians who are stuck there with nothing. So its not like 3rd world people are invading the US. They're US citizens. They just went through hell and lost everything they had. They're trying to escape the wasteland they're on to get there life back together. If you were over there when it happened you would be on the same boat as them. Boohoo, the government is paying for some of there hotel rooms, until they get picked up by family members, so they can start there new lives here, and pay back the government.
No WE are paying for those hotel rooms--maybe you forgot that there isn't a grove of money trees behind the Capital. And the chances of repayment? I'd give it less than 1%. Instead of fancy hotels they should be taken to a Red Cross shelter to wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 10:52 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
No WE are paying for those hotel rooms--maybe you forgot that there isn't a grove of money trees behind the Capital. And the chances of repayment? I'd give it less than 1%. Instead of fancy hotels they should be taken to a Red Cross shelter to wait.
I thought it was obvious that i was talking about tax money when i said the government is paying. I thought we all had commonsense here. I know that the government uses our tax money to pay for things.

You really think that there's less than a 1% chance that they'll pay there loans back? Just because they were in Haiti doesn't mean they didn't have educations or jobs skills to get jobs. Sounds like ignorance to me. They're US citizens they get the right to work, just like everyone else. These aren't fancy hotels either. Some hotels are also donating rooms. You know how much of the money and supplies we are using has been donated by people and other organizations? Way more than the amount of government money we are using.

Last edited by GLS2010; 01-19-2010 at 11:38 AM..

Old 01-19-2010, 11:35 AM

21 posts, read 23,211 times
I wonder if the reaction to the news of 45,000 Haitians arriving in Orlando to make a new life would be as unwelcoming if these natural disaster vicitims were coming from a white, non black or hispanic country. Just in case most of you do not know, the major Haitian areas in Florida are Orlando and Miami. I suggest that most of you get used to seeing more black faces in Orlando, these are good people that have gone through a disaster and have chosen Orlando and Florida to start a new life. This is no different than the millions of Irish and Italians that migrated to the Northern states years ago. I personally think Orlando should open its doors to as many of these citizens as possible to make up for the people leaving Orlando.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:39 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoTruth View Post
I wonder if the reaction to the news of 45,000 Haitians arriving in Orlando to make a new life would be as unwelcoming if these natural disaster vicitims were coming from a white, non black or hispanic country. Just in case most of you do not know, the major Haitian areas in Florida are Orlando and Miami. I suggest that most of you get used to seeing more black faces in Orlando, these are good people that have gone through a disaster and have chosen Orlando and Florida to start a new life. This is no different than the millions of Irish and Italians that migrated to the Northern states years ago. I personally think Orlando should open its doors to as many of these citizens as possible to make up for the people leaving Orlando.
they aren't moving to only miami and orlando. theyre spreading out everywhere. 45,000 of these people spread out between multiple cities won't make much of a big change to any of the cities

Last edited by GLS2010; 01-19-2010 at 11:53 AM..

Old 01-19-2010, 11:44 AM

521 posts, read 870,209 times
well,here's my view,i booked an extended stay type hotel for a 2 week vacation in orlando area probably the time the haitians will be in the area.I am canceling that idea today, How about the orlando tourism industry ,how much money is the local businesses going to lose when tourists get wind of 45k haitians getting dumped in orlando. they have nothing to add to area financially or culturally.I'm sorry but i don't want to spend vacation time with 3rd world refugees.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
they aren't moving to only miami and orlando
Why is this such an issue and so hard for you to accept? The AP is reporting that the majority will settle in Orlando and Miami, President Obama is in the process of granting TPS to Haitian evacuees coming to Orlando and Miami. They should be given a chance in Florida, their country is destroyed. Since Florida already has well established Haitian communities in Orlando and Miami I can not think of a better place to bring these evacuees.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:49 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
if it's a temporary move to the US, OK, but not a "stay in the US forever" type thing..right now there's no place for them to sleep, eat, wash in Haiti..so letting them come to the US while their country's being rebuilt is OK and then gradually taking them back home would IMO be the best solution..

Old 01-19-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
if it's a temporary move to the US, OK, but not a "stay in the US forever" type thing..right now there's no place for them to sleep, eat, wash in Haiti..so letting them come to the US while their country's being rebuilt is OK and then gradually taking them back home would IMO be the best solution..
President Obama is going to grant them 10 years of TPS.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I thought it was obvious that i was talking about tax money when i said the government is paying. I thought we all had commonsense here. I know that the government uses our tax money to pay for things.

You really think that there's less than a 1% chance that they'll pay there loans back? Just because they were in Haiti doesn't mean they didn't have educations or jobs skills to get jobs. Sounds like ignorance to me. They're US citizens they get the right to work, just like everyone else. These aren't fancy hotels either. Some hotels are also donating rooms. You know how much of the money and supplies we are using has been donated by people and other organizations? Way more than the amount of government money we are using.
Yes, I honestly think there is a 1% chance that they will pay back the costs of repatriation. The government isn't going to go after them for it, and I highly doubt that 99.9% of them will be bothered to reach out and voluntarily pay it back. You don't think that the Rennaisance is fancy? It's not exactly the Motel 6.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoTruth View Post
I don't care where they are from, I don't want them descending on the Orlando area with their hand out. We don't have enough jobs for the people already here, what are we supposed to do with the flood of refugees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando