Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 10:45 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
The only way Orlando could support a baseball team is if either the Marlins or Rays move to Orlando.

I think Orlando with all the tourist in town would do better then either the Rays and Marlins in attendance.

I do not see it happening.
It absolutely has NOTHING to do with the population. iTS THE STADIUM LOCATION THATS THE ISSUE,

TAMPA'S STADIUM IS IN ST. PETE AS OPPOSED TO BEING IN THE COUNTY WITH WELL OVER A MILLION PEOPLE. NOBODY WANTS TO DRIVE 40 MILES TO SEE A GAME.

SAME WITH ORLANDO IF THEY BEUILT A STADIUM THEY HAVE TO BUILD IT INA LOCATION PEOPLE DONT MIND COMING TOO WHICH IN OUR CASE IS DOWNTOWN.

YOU SEE MIAMI DECIDED TO PUT THEIR NEW MARLINS STADIUM INA BETTER LOCATION AS WELL..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 09:09 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
It absolutely has NOTHING to do with the population. iTS THE STADIUM LOCATION THATS THE ISSUE,

TAMPA'S STADIUM IS IN ST. PETE AS OPPOSED TO BEING IN THE COUNTY WITH WELL OVER A MILLION PEOPLE. NOBODY WANTS TO DRIVE 40 MILES TO SEE A GAME.

SAME WITH ORLANDO IF THEY BEUILT A STADIUM THEY HAVE TO BUILD IT INA LOCATION PEOPLE DONT MIND COMING TOO WHICH IN OUR CASE IS DOWNTOWN.

YOU SEE MIAMI DECIDED TO PUT THEIR NEW MARLINS STADIUM INA BETTER LOCATION AS WELL..

I never said anything about population. Location is the key, that is why I believe Orlando would draw a larger crowd to a game then Tampa/St Pete.

I drive 2 hours to see the Reds or the Indians with no problems. 3 hours to Pittsburgh and 2 1/2 to Detroit. Did it many times over the years.

If a stadium was built in a location that tourist heading to WDW, Sea World, Universal etc could get to it you would see good attendance numbers.

If it were me I would build it west of Orlando with easy access to I4.

I do not think Florida could support 3 MLB teams so either the Marlins or Rays would have to move and I do not see that happening.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:31 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,486 times
No way Bud Selig or the MLB put another team in Florida. A lot of people say one of Selig's worst mistakes as commissioner has been putting two teams in the state of Florida that don't get much support (Tampa and Marlins have ranked in the near bottom to bottom in attendance in the past 9 seasons). There's too many teams in the MLB as it is, and if the MLB would happen to expand there's no way it'd be in Florida. The only way I could see Orlando or another Florida city landing a team is if a franchise decided to relocate to the city, but as far as an expansion team, I just don't see it happening.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
We will see what happens to Marlins attendance once their own ballpark opens up where the Orange Bowl used to stand! It's in a very urban neighborhood with bars & restuarants surrounding it.
As for mutiple teams? Well the Heat & the Magic are both doing well in the NBA but Orlando is not ready for a MLB franchise yet.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:50 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
I hope we don't get any more sports teams. The taxpayers will get stuck funding another place for them to play and these teams never really bring much wealth to a city.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I never said anything about population. Location is the key, that is why I believe Orlando would draw a larger crowd to a game then Tampa/St Pete.

I drive 2 hours to see the Reds or the Indians with no problems. 3 hours to Pittsburgh and 2 1/2 to Detroit. Did it many times over the years.

If a stadium was built in a location that tourist heading to WDW, Sea World, Universal etc could get to it you would see good attendance numbers.

If it were me I would build it west of Orlando with easy access to I4.

I do not think Florida could support 3 MLB teams so either the Marlins or Rays would have to move and I do not see that happening.
You northerners are something else.
Attendance=People coming to the game. People coming to the game is your POPULATION make up.

This is what im saying.

Florida is a lazy state Nobody wants to drive. So to have a stadium completely away from where the fans who have the money and can and dont mind going to the games, doesnt make sense. The Rays For Example should have built their stadium in Hillsborough. Is Has the higher population and is closer to other ammenities as well. It has about 4 or 500,000 more people than Pinellas County. It would make more sense to try to draw as much of your population to the game

Now I can kinda see what your saying about supporting three because MIami doesnt really support their teams that much anyway. Baseball and Basketball, well nvm they do now for basketball.

Ft. lauderdale can hold the Florida Panthers
St. Pete has the Rays and while not high numbers , do well with attendace.
Jacksonville hosts the Jaguars and are struggling
Tampa has the Bucs and is doing well
Tampa has the Lightning and do well
Orlando Has the Magic and do well
Miami Has the heat and do well
Miami has the Dolphins and do well
Miami has the Marlins and well...it can go either way.

SO for baseball i can KINDA see why you would assume that, but Orlando is a completely different MEtro Make Up! Plus Orlando is smart enough to start with a Minor team again before handling a MAJOR League TEAM

Now why in the hell would you build a stadium by disney?? Look at the ESPN Wide World of Sports. When they have any basketball or baseball games there they do not full up.
Our Metro Population is heavy on the eas and north side of Downtown so a better place to build would be downtown. Not sure how that would work because there is no space but just for attendance purposes. This is I-4 you want people to drive down to see a game. Sure, NOT! Driving I-4 from seminole, Volusia, Northern Orange County to downtown is by far not worth the trip it is and then you want them to drive an extra overcrowded 22 miles lol. Nope wont happen in the Disney area. Thats kinda why they shut the IDea of Building Amyway Center on International down. We want to make sure its in a reasonable location for everybody.

And I bet IF The Marlins Or HEat Played in Ft. Lauderdale The People From Palm beach County and And Dade County wouldn't have an issue going to Broward Versus everybody going to Dade which is 60 miles from WPB, and back. Thats a hundred and twenty mile trip to see a baseball game.

Although

Old 12-18-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
You northerners are something else.

How nice of you. Us horrible northerner fill our stadiums even in 20 degrees temps.

This has nothing to do with someone being from the north, east, south or west.

Attendance=People coming to the game. People coming to the game is your POPULATION make up.

This is what im saying.

Florida is a lazy state Nobody wants to drive. So to have a stadium completely away from where the fans who have the money and can and dont mind going to the games, doesnt make sense. The Rays For Example should have built their stadium in Hillsborough. Is Has the higher population and is closer to other ammenities as well. It has about 4 or 500,000 more people than Pinellas County. It would make more sense to try to draw as much of your population to the game

Now I can kinda see what your saying about supporting three because MIami doesnt really support their teams that much anyway. Baseball and Basketball, well nvm they do now for basketball.

Ft. lauderdale can hold the Florida Panthers
St. Pete has the Rays and while not high numbers , do well with attendace.
Jacksonville hosts the Jaguars and are struggling
Tampa has the Bucs and is doing well
Tampa has the Lightning and do well
Orlando Has the Magic and do well
Miami Has the heat and do well
Miami has the Dolphins and do well
Miami has the Marlins and well...it can go either way.

SO for baseball i can KINDA see why you would assume that, but Orlando is a completely different MEtro Make Up! Plus Orlando is smart enough to start with a Minor team again before handling a MAJOR League TEAM

Now why in the hell would you build a stadium by disney?? Look at the ESPN Wide World of Sports. When they have any basketball or baseball games there they do not full up.

Because it is not filled up with a known major league or NBA team is why. People coming to vacation in Orlando would go to game if their favorite team was playing in town when they are there.

I would go see the Reds or Red Sox when I was in Orlando for sure.

Our Metro Population is heavy on the eas and north side of Downtown so a better place to build would be downtown. Not sure how that would work because there is no space but just for attendance purposes. This is I-4 you want people to drive down to see a game. Sure, NOT! Driving I-4 from seminole, Volusia, Northern Orange County to downtown is by far not worth the trip it is and then you want them to drive an extra overcrowded 22 miles lol. Nope wont happen in the Disney area. Thats kinda why they shut the IDea of Building Amyway Center on International down. We want to make sure its in a reasonable location for everybody.

And I bet IF The Marlins Or HEat Played in Ft. Lauderdale The People From Palm beach County and And Dade County wouldn't have an issue going to Broward Versus everybody going to Dade which is 60 miles from WPB, and back. Thats a hundred and twenty mile trip to see a baseball game.

Although

I am sure my piddly old marketing degree would not help them make a good decision.

Willing to bet if the Rays moved closer to Disney/Orlando ( I never said on top of Disney ) the attendance would rise.

In Myrtle Beach the minor league team sees a huge surge in attendance during the week at peak crowd days. People coming on vacation know or find out if there major league teams minor team is playing and go to the ballgames.

Not going to happen in Orlando anyway unless the Rays fold up financially.

Last edited by Sunny-Days-in-Florida; 12-18-2010 at 03:57 PM..

Old 12-19-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
I am sure my piddly old marketing degree would not help them make a good decision.

Willing to bet if the Rays moved closer to Disney/Orlando ( I never said on top of Disney ) the attendance would rise.

In Myrtle Beach the minor league team sees a huge surge in attendance during the week at peak crowd days. People coming on vacation know or find out if there major league teams minor team is playing and go to the ballgames.

Not going to happen in Orlando anyway unless the Rays fold up financially.

You Northerners always Say I Don't see this happening or this wont happen, so you you all FIT the category quite well.

As for the Disney thing it doesnt have to be a well known team. Hell the Spring Training doesnt even fill up here. But I bet if it were downtown where everyone had access too it would fill up.

You ask any Owner of a franchise whats more important, who they attract or how many; Im sure they would say how many. They could care less who comes and see, but its the number of people they want to see up. Plus LOcation helps when it is near something else for them to do. Your downtown, more than likely your going to the park, celebration,club,movies,bar, whatever it may be, thus giving you the time and or schedule to go to a game or so.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
You Northerners always Say I Don't see this happening or this wont happen, so you you all FIT the category quite well.

As for the Disney thing it doesnt have to be a well known team. Hell the Spring Training doesnt even fill up here. But I bet if it were downtown where everyone had access too it would fill up.

You ask any Owner of a franchise whats more important, who they attract or how many; Im sure they would say how many. They could care less who comes and see, but its the number of people they want to see up. Plus LOcation helps when it is near something else for them to do. Your downtown, more than likely your going to the park, celebration,club,movies,bar, whatever it may be, thus giving you the time and or schedule to go to a game or so.
Again, you put all northerners in a group and are slicky attacking us all.

Sorry to burst your bubble but if it was not for all those northerners coming to Florida and spending money the state would have collapsed many years ago.

What did I say that us northerners that wont be right.

I said that Orlando could fill more seats then Tampa if the ballpark was located correctly. And downtown would not work out. Most vactioneers wont go downtown.

I said unless Tampa folds it wont happen in Orlando.

Both thing are 100% accurate.

So far you have proven to me that you have no clue about how business works and the thinking of MLB teams and MLB offices.

Donald Trump is a northerner and everything the man touches turns to gold. Guess he is just another dumb northerner.

Thanks for copying my idea about a new stadium being close to something that attracts people and downtown would not be the place.

Either way it is not going to happen in Orlando unless Tampa Rays fold up so there is no sense in even trying to get your thoughts right.

Just wondering, have you ever owned a business?

Old 12-19-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Again, you put all northerners in a group and are slicky attacking us all.

Sorry to burst your bubble but if it was not for all those northerners coming to Florida and spending money the state would have collapsed many years ago.

What did I say that us northerners that wont be right.

I said that Orlando could fill more seats then Tampa if the ballpark was located correctly. And downtown would not work out. Most vactioneers wont go downtown.

I said unless Tampa folds it wont happen in Orlando.

Both thing are 100% accurate.

So far you have proven to me that you have no clue about how business works and the thinking of MLB teams and MLB offices.

Donald Trump is a northerner and everything the man touches turns to gold. Guess he is just another dumb northerner.

Thanks for copying my idea about a new stadium being close to something that attracts people and downtown would not be the place.

Either way it is not going to happen in Orlando unless Tampa Rays fold up so there is no sense in even trying to get your thoughts right.

Just wondering, have you ever owned a business?

Your ridiculous but again you do come from the place of ridiculous people. Your ideas goes to show you think just like a tourist as well as the northern leaders who go to other cities and mess those up too. Not an "Attack" because i don't agree where to put the stadium, that's bogus or that it's true in my own opinion northerners **** the state of Florida up in general, if you want to go there. That certainly is not an attack, but I will SEVERELY DISAGREE With your reasoning about a stadium or professional sports team being in a specific location. Plus Sports Teams along with their arenas and cities have contracts so who knows to be honest. I do know MLB in Orlando would be awesome but because of the Marlins and Rays impact here it should not work. Not saying it wont and couldn't logically it shouldn't but you seem to have an issue with things having a chance to work so I'll leave that alone.
And Nobody would built a stadium let along have a professional sports team in hopes to attract vacationers.

Since were speaking about Orlando look into the Amway Center for example. It's downtown as opposed to being in the tourist district. DO i need to inform you why they did that or can you figure it out? This is the perfect example.

Football is the only exception because of bowl games since it is not used as much of the year as a basketball, hockey, or baseball facility. Football has to try and get vacationers to come to bowl games or various other events.

Last edited by IAm_FloridaBorn; 12-19-2010 at 07:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando