Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:54 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

When we relocated we obtained letters from our utility providers stating we had a good standing with them as far as bill payments. That allowed us to avoid the deposits on utilities.

Yes, bringing a vehicle to FL can be expensive on the onset. As far as insurance, become a AAA member and shop insurance with them. I found them to get me the lowest rates possible.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyluciano View Post
Hey mrFlaBound,

Well, perhaps is the way we look at things.
Housing: much cheaper so far. here a pay around $700, and I would never get a condominium this nice up there for this little, it would probably be $200 or $300 more.

Gas prices: you are right comparable

Car: the tags are very expensive, insurance is 3 times as much. I use to pay 40 a month up there and here I will pay $140, and that is the cheapest (Geico, "fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance.) free advertisement

Grocery: everything here cost more. I thought that since this is big agricultural state, things would be cheaper, but no.

Utilities: although I had to pay deposits in everything, I don't have an opinion yet since my bills are not here yet.

Health: from the way is looking, I will pay more here too.

so all and all in the long run, I think I will pay more for certain things, and pay less on some. Maybe all this depositing business that I was asked, made my head light and I can't think straight.

I had to take the chance, man. unfortunately for me, if a plan too much it will never happen. I am one of those type of guys....and good luck in your new house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 07:04 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
The first thing you guys need to do is research. Lots of it. New and warm is nice, but you will be starting from scratch and it does take time to establish. There are all kinds of different areas in FL. From urban to very rural. Inland or coastal. All have pluses/minuses. You really have to look at what each area offers before you can decide on where in FL to relocate.

Also, 3 months of expenses isnt going to cut it. You need minimum a years worth of expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magz85 View Post
hi, OMG.. I cant believe i came across your post. my husband and i are planing to move to FL. We were aiming for daytona but then again we are keeping our options open. The reason for the move,sick of cold weather. we have 2 little girls age 4-5 and we have no job lined up. We just want somewhere new and warm. we have 3 months rent and other small expense saved for the move but were not sure which part to move to or where to even begin. I cant express how helpful your post was. Thank you and as long as you are there and you were in the same shoes we are in right now, if there is any other helpful tips on moving i would be grateful. I am sorta doubtful about the move,as too being we know nothing about the city such as school zones and a good family oriented neighborhood so any help i can get would be very appreciated.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 AM

28 posts, read 206,942 times
Quote:
hi, OMG.. I cant believe i came across your post. my husband and i are planing to move to FL. We were aiming for daytona but then again we are keeping our options open. The reason for the move,sick of cold weather. we have 2 little girls age 4-5 and we have no job lined up. We just want somewhere new and warm. we have 3 months rent and other small expense saved for the move but were not sure which part to move to or where to even begin. I cant express how helpful your post was. Thank you and as long as you are there and you were in the same shoes we are in right now, if there is any other helpful tips on moving i would be grateful. I am sorta doubtful about the move,as too being we know nothing about the city such as school zones and a good family oriented neighborhood so any help i can get would be very appreciated.

Hey Magz85,

I am glad the thread was helpful. I know you probably heard this a lot, but...Tennessee cold? I wish New England was like Tennessee! (as far as weather) but, then again, a lot of people like cold weather, so let's leave NE alone.

I have good and bad news for you:

Good news first. I Loved living in Florida.
Before I moved to FL, I was so concern about schools, and the job, and the child molesters ... But once I was there, It was totally the opposite.

Of course I took my precautions, my wife didn't work so she could pick up the kids at school, but in the neighborhood that I was living, They had less child molesters than back in Massachusetts. (side note: Florida has a wonderful centralized website FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators, so you can check your neighborhood, unfortunately Mass don't have one yet)

I was presently surprised with the school, teachers and principal very involved, my daughter was learning more in FL, they had wonderful field trips...

I actually moved from Sanford to Longwood. ( Longwood is the perfect place for a family if you ask me. Very nice neighborhood, very affordable houses, nice schools.) The area of Lake Mary/Heathrow/Longwood is the part that I most liked in Central Florida. I am sure there are other nice places, but this area is very good because it has Jobs (actual good companies) I has very good schools, and lots of shopping!

As far as moving to Daytona Beach, I also considered that. I also wanted to live closer to the beach, but Daytona has no jobs, and lots of bars, not a very good environment for kids. If you must live close to the beach than you should consider New Smyrna Beach, which is a very nice beach, very family oriented and you would be about 35 minutes from Orlando.

But, I think you would like better around Lake Mary/Longwood, and the beach wouldn't be that far.

Now onto the bad news.

The bad news is that I am back in Massachusetts... . Unfortunately I was not making enough money in Florida. I was working for Chase Bank on their collection department, and for a married man, with 2 kids the salary was not enough.

So, planning is a good thing to do. But I must admit that, I did not do much planning. I had some money saved and I decided to come. And sometimes you have to go with your impulse. I do not regret my time in Florida at all, and I do not take it as a failure, but a good experience. Now I know what I need, next time I moved there, because I know I will go back.

You can read these threads all day long, but ultimately, if you want to go, go and experience yourself. You either going to love it, or hate it, but at least if you hate it, you would have a better appreciation for the place that you live now, and at least you would have a new perspective on things.

Good Luck!

Old 03-15-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
When we relocated we obtained letters from our utility providers stating we had a good standing with them as far as bill payments. That allowed us to avoid the deposits on utilities.

Yes, bringing a vehicle to FL can be expensive on the onset. As far as insurance, become a AAA member and shop insurance with them. I found them to get me the lowest rates possible.

Good luck!
Nice tip! thank you.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 6,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyluciano View Post
Hey Magz85,

I am glad the thread was helpful. I know you probably heard this a lot, but...Tennessee cold? I wish New England was like Tennessee! (as far as weather) but, then again, a lot of people like cold weather, so let's leave NE alone.

I have good and bad news for you:

Good news first. I Loved living in Florida.
Before I moved to FL, I was so concern about schools, and the job, and the child molesters ... But once I was there, It was totally the opposite.

Of course I took my precautions, my wife didn't work so she could pick up the kids at school, but in the neighborhood that I was living, They had less child molesters than back in Massachusetts. (side note: Florida has a wonderful centralized website FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators, so you can check your neighborhood, unfortunately Mass don't have one yet)

I was presently surprised with the school, teachers and principal very involved, my daughter was learning more in FL, they had wonderful field trips...

I actually moved from Sanford to Longwood. ( Longwood is the perfect place for a family if you ask me. Very nice neighborhood, very affordable houses, nice schools.) The area of Lake Mary/Heathrow/Longwood is the part that I most liked in Central Florida. I am sure there are other nice places, but this area is very good because it has Jobs (actual good companies) I has very good schools, and lots of shopping!

As far as moving to Daytona Beach, I also considered that. I also wanted to live closer to the beach, but Daytona has no jobs, and lots of bars, not a very good environment for kids. If you must live close to the beach than you should consider New Smyrna Beach, which is a very nice beach, very family oriented and you would be about 35 minutes from Orlando.

But, I think you would like better around Lake Mary/Longwood, and the beach wouldn't be that far.

Now onto the bad news.

The bad news is that I am back in Massachusetts... . Unfortunately I was not making enough money in Florida. I was working for Chase Bank on their collection department, and for a married man, with 2 kids the salary was not enough.

So, planning is a good thing to do. But I must admit that, I did not do much planning. I had some money saved and I decided to come. And sometimes you have to go with your impulse. I do not regret my time in Florida at all, and I do not take it as a failure, but a good experience. Now I know what I need, next time I moved there, because I know I will go back.

You can read these threads all day long, but ultimately, if you want to go, go and experience yourself. You either going to love it, or hate it, but at least if you hate it, you would have a better appreciation for the place that you live now, and at least you would have a new perspective on things.

Good Luck!

Thank you for all the tips they were really helpful. Well I failed to mention that the main reason of our move is not only cold but my husband wants to attend the bike school there. So with all the expensive warnings i still have to make the move. we just didn't know where to live and how things were down there. Regarding Tennessee being cold, we have been in Dubai for the passed 8 years and its got Florida weather. so even a little cold is too cold for us. but thank you for all the tips at least now we know where to start looking.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Thank you for all the tips they were really helpful. Well I failed to mention that the main reason of our move is not only cold but my husband wants to attend the bike school there. So with all the expensive warnings i still have to make the move. we just didn't know where to live and how things were down there. Regarding Tennessee being cold, we have been in Dubai for the passed 8 years and its got Florida weather. so even a little cold is too cold for us. but thank you for all the tips at least now we know where to start looking.
Great, good luck with everything, how's Dubai by the way, did you enjoy living there?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:37 AM

21 posts, read 61,834 times
Hi. We are looking to move to Florida and have researched Lake Mary, Heathrow, Sanford. We wanted to be in an adult, gated community but can't seem to find one in this area. We are concerned about kids running through the neighborhood, cars speeding, loud cars, motorcycles...etc. We are in our early 50's and active people but want a quiet neighborhood. Any suggestions? We want to be fairly close to shopping and dining. We'd like to sit out on our lanai and enjoy ourselves without a lot of noise and commotion. We currently live in Up State NY and are tired of the winters and cold. We live in a town home in a nice neighborhood and there are kids constantly running around, loud cars, inconsiderate neighbors and no peace. We aren't stuffy or anything like that, we'd just like some peace and quiet and some good neighbors!!! Help! Thanks...Kathy

Last edited by happinow; 04-17-2011 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: added more info

Old 04-17-2011, 08:41 AM

21 posts, read 61,834 times

Old 04-18-2011, 09:02 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happinow View Post
Hi. We are looking to move to Florida and have researched Lake Mary, Heathrow, Sanford. We wanted to be in an adult, gated community but can't seem to find one in this area. We are concerned about kids running through the neighborhood, cars speeding, loud cars, motorcycles...etc. We are in our early 50's and active people but want a quiet neighborhood. Any suggestions? We want to be fairly close to shopping and dining. We'd like to sit out on our lanai and enjoy ourselves without a lot of noise and commotion. We currently live in Up State NY and are tired of the winters and cold. We live in a town home in a nice neighborhood and there are kids constantly running around, loud cars, inconsiderate neighbors and no peace. We aren't stuffy or anything like that, we'd just like some peace and quiet and some good neighbors!!! Help! Thanks...Kathy
You're picking the wrong part of town. Try Lake County somewhere like Eustis, Sanford, Lake Mary, and Heathrow are great but full of families and younger people.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happinow View Post

Hey Hapinow,

I am sure there are plenty of adult communities in this area. I remember looking for an apartment and I came across a few. When I was working at chase, I used to drive by one right on West Lake Mary Boulevard, which is pretty much right on the line Lake Mary/Sanford and is pretty much close to all the shop you will need and still a very quite place.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the place for the life of me. But if you drive on W Lake Mary Blvd you will spot it right away is almost right across the post office.

there is also this one:

407-321-7550
Lake Mary Senior Living in Florida | Senior Retirement Living Florida | Emeritus at Lake Mary | Emeritus Senior Living

But I remember that most of these places are 55+, maybe you going to have to do some convincing, since you are on your early 50's!

Good luck with your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando