Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:54 AM

159 posts, read 393,656 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating to the Orlando area & would appreicate any information on Lake Nona - crime, schools, airport noise, will it be built out in this economy, etc

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 12:21 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,147,555 times
For School data check out Greatschools.net as well as https://www.ocps.net/Pages/default.aspx to check out what schools serve what address. For crime data there is the orange county sheriff's department, as well as this nifty tool to see crimes by map Orlando Crime Map - Orlando Sentinel

I do alot of work in this area and I can still say it's a great choice. They are building the new high school which should be finished very soon, this will make all of the schools that serve the area A rated. The residential neighborhoods are just about built out with just a few new little subdivisions going in. Much of the commercial and retail space has already broken ground or about to be completed so not much to worry about the rest being built out. The new Medical school, VA, and other Medical facilities are ready to go and won't be put on hold because of the economy (healthcare is still doing well...always need doctors)

Many people are concerned about the proximity to the airport, but flight paths do not go over lake nona and I have never heard a plane from any of the neighborhoods in the area.

There is great access via the 417 and 528 to all of east, south and South West orlando with all the jobs those area's have to offer. Shopping, entertainment, restaurants, jobs, etc....

Old 12-27-2008, 01:50 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,383,788 times
Great schools, but not worth the money. You are almost next door to the International Airport and 30 minutes away from Orlando, surrounded by toll roads. It's also located in redneck central.

I would look into Dr. Phillips or Windermere.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:29 PM

160 posts, read 401,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
surrounded by toll roads.
I consider that a positive. Rarely any traffic with all the cheap folks sitting in redlights trying to save a dollar. I love the 417.

And you won't hear a plane in lake nona.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:59 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,713,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
Great schools, but not worth the money. You are almost next door to the International Airport and 30 minutes away from Orlando, surrounded by toll roads. It's also located in redneck central.

I would look into Dr. Phillips or Windermere.
I have had this recommendation as well, and frankly...can't understand it.

Lake Nona is the East side or Orlando and the towns you mention are the West side. Second, the schools on the west side are not all A rated over there either...depends exactly where you are, and lastly, they are so close to Pine Hills, that it is disturbing to me.

What is the advantage? I would assume if one is looking on the East side it is because it is advantageous to their commute. To put one on the west side, does that not make for a horrible commute through the city itself? Or is there a good, cheap , fast alternative through/across Orlando? Thanks for any clarification because my hubby will be working in Winter Park and we have stayed looking in Seminole county because of the proximity and the schools...but please let me know if I am missing some info here We just figured the commute would be horrible.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:35 AM

The advantage on living West of I-4?

I pointed out specific locations...Dr. Phillips and Windermere

If you can afford to live in Winter Park, it has one of the highest rated public high schools. Don't commute from Lake Nona to Winter Park, it is not short and it is not cheap.

I went up to my friend's brother in law's house in Lake Nona during Thanksgiving. We spent around $7 dollars in tolls just from Lake Mary to his house on the 417 because we missed the exit. You have to pay while on the highway, when you get off the highway and when you get back on the highway. Many of the stops don't even have a person there, so if you don't have the sun pass or spare change, you're screwed. (you get 3 warnings after that, you get a nice big fine) Tolls are a pain in the blank.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:25 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,213,496 times
I live in south east Orlando and love it. The proximity to the toll roads allows me to drive almost anywhere in Central Florida in 30 minutes or less without fighting traffic. I can be at the cruise terminal, Disney, Universal, Sea World or even downtown - without ever having to stop at a traffic light except the few between my house and the toll road. It's worth the $$ to me.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:03 AM

If you live in Dr. Phillips, it takes 5 minutes to get to Universal and 10 minutes to Disney. Free

Old 12-29-2008, 09:19 AM

631 posts, read 2,452,404 times
I like Lake Nona but I see it as the next Altamonnte Springs or Lake Mary. Anyone remember how nice and desolate those towns were 25 years ago? Lake Nona is very pretty but like Jonotastic said, the commute to just about anywhere is a pain (and the prices on the tolls are not an exaggeration. They are the highest in the area). You can get good, large homes for a good price though.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:38 PM

141 posts, read 320,520 times
My wife and I moved to Orlando in Feb '08 and just bought a house in the Lake Nona area in October.

Depending on what you're looking for, it's great. Airport noise isn't a problem in Northlake Park, perhaps the nicest community that isn't THE Lake Nona.

There is a local, very good elementary school and the new high school opens next year.

Northlake Park is very quiet and my new neighbors are very friendly on rare occasion when I see them.

It is definitely suburbia. So if you're more the urban type, Lake Nona shouldn't be your first choice. But there are plenty of new places opening up right on Narcoossee.

And I love that it's so close to the beach, just 40 minutes to Cocoa Beach and Canaveral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando