Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:22 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,024,402 times

Advertisements

Running a little later than normal this morning, because as I was working on the QOTD last night I had a long power outage and, of course was out of candles and kerosene for my lanterns

so on that note . . .

Today's Questions:

If the electricity went out and you had no traditional source of lighting, what would you use to ‘light your way’?

Bonus Question:

If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around?

Just for Fun:

What’s the weirdest thing you ever did without your normal source of lighting (and no, I'm not talking about )?

Today in History:
1884 – Mississippi establishes 1st U.S. state college for women
1904 – Andrew Carnegie establishes Carnegie Hero Fund
1912 – Girl Guides (Girl Scouts) forms in Savannah by Juliette Gordon Low
1930 – Gandhi begins 200 mile march protesting British salt tax
1933 – FDR conducts 1st fireside chat
1966 – U.S. performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site
1985 – Larry Bird scores Boston Celtics record 60 points
1994 – Church of England ordains 1st 33 women priests

We said hello to:
1831 – Clement Studebaker, automobile pioneer, the Studebaker
1862 – Jane Delano, U.S. nurse, teacher and founder of the Red Cross
1923 – Wally Schirra, astronaut, flew in Mercury, Gemini and Apollo, U.S. 1st three space programs
1939 – Barbara Feldon, actress, Agent 99 - “Get Smart”

We said goodbye to:
1888 – Henry Bergh, founder of the ASPCA (76)
1945 Anne Frank, diarist (Diary of Anne Frank) murdered in Belsen Camp
2001 – Robert Ludlum, novelist (73)

Word of the Day:
Prolix \ pro-LIKS; PRO-liks\, adjective;
1. Extending to great length; unnecessarily long; wordy
2. Tending to speak or write at excessive length

Today is:
Alfred Hitchcock Day
Dennis the Menace’s Birthday
International Do a Good Deed Day
National Dance to the Beat of Your Own Drum Day

Have a relaxing weekend and don’t forget to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 06:24 AM
bjh

59,900 posts, read 30,245,188 times
Today's Questions:
If the electricity went out and you had no traditional source of lighting, what would you use to ‘light your way’?

Flashlights to begin with. Then candles if necessary.

Bonus Question:
If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around?
Other than some stray sheep? No.

Just for Fun:
What’s the weirdest thing you ever did without your normal source of lighting (and no, I'm not talking about )?
Am at a loss.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:26 AM

8,392 posts, read 3,475,786 times
Thanks for the QOTD Joy ... you just caught me seconds before I planned to turn off the computer and head to bed!

Today's Questions:

Well I have these nifty night light thingies that plug into a power point to provide normal night lighting in the hallway between bedrooms and bathroom, but they also contain a battery which charges the light while the power is on. If the power goes out, the night lights stay on. A switch on the sides changes the light to a flashlight beam. So in the event of a power outage, I can still see my way to the hallway, and simply unplug the night lights and take them with me to whichever room I want to be in.

Bonus Question:

If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around? LOL nope - no stories to tell I'm afraid.

Just for Fun:

Well, if you're not talking about , then I can't comment.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Last edited by Kobber; 03-12-2011 at 06:37 AM..

Old 03-12-2011, 06:42 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,121,379 times
Good Morning! Thanks for the QOTD, Joy!

Today's Questions:

Oil lamps
Lanterns
flashlights

Bonus Question:

Gawd no!

Just for Fun:

You mean when the lights were out? Told ghost stories??? IDK???

International Do a Good Deed Day
National Dance to the Beat of Your Own Drum Day LoL!!!

Last edited by Sweetie Pie; 03-12-2011 at 07:02 AM..

Old 03-12-2011, 06:44 AM

37,758 posts, read 40,857,426 times
Today's Questions:

I have a camping lamp that runs on batteries.

Bonus Question:

No

Just for Fun:

read a book... by camping lamp.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:47 AM

51,696 posts, read 15,651,500 times
[quote=JustJoy;18245741]

Running a little later than normal this morning, because as I was working on the QOTD last night I had a long power outage and, of course was out of candles and kerosene for my lanterns

so on that note . . .

]Today's Questions:

If the electricity went out and you had no raditional source of lighting, what would you use to llight your way?? Flashlights and candles

Bonus Question:

If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around? Just my husband in the corner..lol!

Just For Fun:

What?s the weirdest thing you ever did without your normal source of lighting (and no, I'm not talking about )? Got no answer for this question.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:50 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,866,773 times
Today's Questions:

If the electricity went out and you had no traditional source of lighting, what would you use to ‘light your way’? flashlight and/or candles
Once, at my parents, we used antique oil lamps. Their house was once a tavern, built in the early 1770s. It felt like we had gone back in time. We were actually a little disappointed when the electricity came back on.

Bonus Question:

If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around? No.

Just for Fun:

Without electricity I have no heat or running water. If I lose power for long then I stay with friends or family in town. Nothing weird though.

National Dance to the Beat of Your Own Drum Day I like this. Have a great day!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:51 AM

16,898 posts, read 16,044,735 times
Today's Questions: Yayyyyyyy! Hi Joy! Hi Shredder!

If the electricity went out and you had no traditional source of lighting, what would you use to ‘light your way’? I have lanterns that are battery operated and I have lights that run by solar/crank-up!

Bonus Question:

If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around? My neighbor, outside, in his boxer shorts.

Just for Fun:

What’s the weirdest thing you ever did without your normal source of lighting?
? I don't know.....showering? Cooking? Shaving?

Today in History:
1884 – Mississippi establishes 1st U.S. state college for women
1904 – Andrew Carnegie establishes Carnegie Hero Fund -Wow! A fund for heroes! I'll take a meatball parmigiana to go!!
1912 – Girl Guides (Girl Scouts) forms in Savannah by Juliette Gordon Low
1930 – Gandhi begins 200 mile march protesting British salt tax
1933 – FDR conducts 1st fireside chat
1966 – U.S. performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site Yeah, and what about all the wildlife that was there? Murderous bast*rds! All those great snakes and lizards....birds, mammals, plants, insects....what a crime.
1985 – Larry Bird scores Boston Celtics record 60 points Today's, "Sto what"!!
1994 – Church of England ordains 1st 33 women priests Pffft!!

Thanks, Joy and Shredder! I was hoping it would be you today, posting the QOTD!! You and all our friends - have a terrific weekend!! Be safe and have fun, and GoodEatsWishes to you, too!! ~rainroosty~

OMG, I thought we were done!!

We said hello to:
1831 – Clement Studebaker, automobile pioneer, the Studebaker
"Studebaker Hawk" was a great superhero that - (boldly springing into action!) - used to cut out some really nice wings out of Kaiser broiler foil with a pair of blunt scissors and then, in the parking lot at Ralph's (where "No prices are lower prices than Ralph's!) he would slip into a phone booth and pull down his pants, hold open the legs of his boxer shorts, and rub even-amounts of Aunt Jemima maple syrup all over the insides of legs. Soon the booth begins to fill up with flies until the booth and everything lifts up out of the parking lot and into the sky!
1862 – Jane Delano, U.S. nurse, teacher and founder of the Red Cross
1923 – Wally Schirra, astronaut, flew in Mercury, Gemini and Apollo, U.S. 1st three space programs Those are the three programs that my mom's husband was one of the programmers for. Really smart and super-nice man!
1939 – Barbara Feldon, actress, Agent 99 - “Get Smart” She's great!

We said goodbye to:
1888 – Henry Bergh, founder of the ASPCA (76) Thank you, Henry.
1945 – Anne Frank, diarist (Diary of Anne Frank) murdered in Belsen Camp
2001 – Robert Ludlum, novelist (73)

Word of the Day:
Prolix \ pro-LIKS; PRO-liks\, adjective;
1. Extending to great length; unnecessarily long; wordy
2. Tending to speak or write at excessive length

Today is:
Alfred Hitchcock Day I liked him and his films! I miss his show!
Dennis the Menace’s Birthday I was a big Dennis fan. Had all the comic books, too!!
International Do a Good Deed Day I just did!! I finished off all of the tacos!!
National Dance to the Beat of Your Own Drum Day There is an electronic drum set here. It's mrsrainroosty's. I bought it for her.

Have a relaxing weekend and don’t forget to
You got that right, Shredder!! Count me in!!

Last edited by rainroosty; 03-12-2011 at 08:03 AM..

Old 03-12-2011, 06:57 AM

18,936 posts, read 11,543,792 times
If the electricity went out and you had no traditional source of lighting, what would you use to ‘light your way’? a flashlight

If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around? nothing that wasn't already scary and lurking around before

Old 03-12-2011, 07:07 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,995,366 times
Today's Questions:

Flashlights... and these days my laptop

Bonus Question:

Nah, but if I'm wearing my spongebob jammies and Elvis Presley slippers I'm the scary thing that people see

Just for Fun:

What’s the weirdest thing you ever did without your normal source of lighting

Once I tried to write a note saying where I went during a power outage. Writing in the dark is weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics