Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 AM

412 posts, read 679,650 times

Advertisements

Have you ever had a dream vacation turn into a disaster? If yes, do tell. (I'm sure you heard about the cruise ship that capsized in Italy last week.) I'm pretty lucky from the standpoint of never having had a vacation disaster. I will say there is something to be said for traveling alone. One of the most relaxing vacations I have taken. I slept, ate, saw, whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. Five days of pure bliss.

Interesting question in light of that accident: Do you think the old rule of women and children first should still stand today? (Or or do you subscribe to the George Costanza every man for himself school of thought?) Sure.

Why or why not?

Extra Credit:

What is your favorite/lucky number? 4,10,23

What significance is that number to you? No special meaning really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Today's Questions:

Have you ever had a dream vacation turn into a disaster? If yes, do tell. (I'm sure you heard about the cruise ship that capsized in Italy last week.)
I've never had that happen. ......knock on wood.....

Interesting question in light of that accident: Do you think the old rule of women and children first should still stand today? (Or or do you subscribe to the George Costanza every man for himself school of thought?)
Women and children first.

Why or why not? Because I'm a woman. ahahahahaha

Extra Credit:

What is your favorite/lucky number? 11

What significance is that number to you?
None. I just like it.

Bonus:

Do you have a lucky charm that you carry with you? Yes

If yes, what is it and why do you keep it?
St. Christopher medal. He's the patron saint of travelers.

Just Because:

Who's one of your favorite TV characters of all time?
"Maude" (Bea Arthur).

What did you like about him/her? She said things out loud that I was only thinking.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 01-18-2012 at 09:35 AM..

Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,901 times
Happy hump day!
Finally we had some sunshine today. After so many grey and also rainy and stormy days this was very welcome!

Today's Questions:

Have you ever had a dream vacation turn into a disaster? If yes, do tell. (I'm sure you heard about the cruise ship that capsized in Italy last week.) No, everything went well on our vacations so far.

Interesting question in light of that accident: Do you think the old rule of women and children first should still stand today? (Or or do you subscribe to the George Costanza every man for himself school of thought?) Very difficult to answer. Of course the passengers should be rescued first since the staff should know what to do in case of emergency. However, I do understand how he must have felt. I wouldn't have wanted to drown in the ship either... I guess you can't always be held responsible in life threatening situations...

Bonus:

Do you have a lucky charm that you carry with you? Not really charms but I always wear my wedding band to take DH with me as well as my engagement ring and a ring my father gave to me about 15 years ago.

Just Because:

Who's one of your favorite TV characters of all time? There are quite a few! I do like Julian McMahon in Nip/Tuck he's that all sexy hunk with that typical a** character And I like James Spader in Boston Justice. Lynette Scavo from Desperate housewifes always makes me laugh when handling all these children and all day life...

Old 01-18-2012, 09:18 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Extra Credit:

What is your favorite/lucky number? 11

None. I just like it.
LOL.. Oh I don't know if that's lucky, the year 2011 was not a good year for me, I fractured my right knee cap on May 11th, 2011...

Old 01-18-2012, 09:33 AM

48,136 posts, read 22,007,656 times
So, I'm being lazy tonight. No emoticons and no extras. Less is more, I say.

That is the way I prefer it anyway.
Today's Questions:

Have you ever had a dream vacation turn into a disaster? If yes, do tell. (I'm sure you heard about the cruise ship that capsized in Italy last week.)

While on a train excursion in Japan.....at the end of the day.....I realized I had lost my wallet with my ID and money etc. I was close to panic! While trying to figure out what to do.....the phone in the hotel rang....and it was the station master.....my wallet had been found.....and thru a business card they had been able to call a family member who called my MIL....and got the name of the hotel where we were staying.....the wallet was on its way on the next train.....and returned to me the next morning.....intact! It could have been a disaster....but it was instead....a testimony of the honesty and good will of the Japanese people.

Interesting question in light of that accident: Do you think the old rule of women and children first should still stand today? (Or or do you subscribe to the George Costanza every man for himself school of thought?) Why or why not?

Yes I do to a certain extent....but I would say families first.....let the husband be with his wife and children.

Extra Credit:

What is your favorite/lucky number? I don't have one.

Bonus:

Do you have a lucky charm that you carry with you? I have a figure of a spirit bear on my car keys.
If yes, what is it and why do you keep it? My totem animal is BEAR.

Just Because:

Who's one of your favorite TV characters of all time? Jerry Seinfeld

Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,909,100 times
Low 60s and gorgeous in the NV desert today.

Today's Questions:

Have you ever had a dream vacation turn into a disaster? If yes, do tell. (I'm sure you heard about the cruise ship that capsized in Italy last week.) Not a disaster, but I should have known my marriage wasn't going to be great when my new husband made some sales calls on our honeymoon!

Interesting question in light of that accident: Do you think the old rule of women and children first should still stand today? (Or or do you subscribe to the George Costanza every man for himself school of thought?) On a ship, children first definitely (with a responsible adult in each lifeboat) and the captain last!

Why or why not? In these days of equality, I think there should be no distinction between the men and the women. The captain has been entrusted with the lives of all on board (think Sully Sullenberg) and should not leave until his last passenger is safely off the ship.

What is your favorite/lucky number? Don't really have one.

Do you have a lucky charm that you carry with you? Yes.

If yes, what is it and why do you keep it? I have a little medallion of my father's that he won when he was a child. I carry it in my purse to remind me of him.

Who's one of your favorite TV characters of all time? Mary Tyler Moore as Mary.

What did you like about him/her? Her spunk!

Happy Wednesday everyone.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:04 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,832,228 times
So, I'm being lazy tonight. No emoticons and no extras. Less is more, I say. Good Morning, spinx

Today's Questions:

Have you ever had a dream vacation turn into a disaster? If yes, do tell. (I'm sure you heard about the cruise ship that capsized in Italy last week.) I've had one, but I don't hve time to tell it. One word: Mexico

Interesting question in light of that accident: Do you think the old rule of women and children first should still stand today? (Or or do you subscribe to the George Costanza every man for himself school of thought?) I think people should help each other get off. The ship's captain and crew should not have left the ship.
Why or why not? See above

Extra Credit:

What is your favorite/lucky number? N/A

Bonus:

Do you have a lucky charm that you carry with you? yes. It is an Aboriginal mukluk, made by an Elder for me. Probably an inch high; I use it as my keychain for my car. Her loving hands were very arthritic when she made it, and she could barely see. She passed away a few years ago..so I will always treasure it.
If yes, what is it and why do you keep it? ^^^^^

Just Because:

Who's one of your favorite TV characters of all time?

What did you like about him/her?

Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone!!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:42 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,033,859 times
Today's Questions:

No, so far all of my vacactions have been fun experiences! Now my problem is that I never get to take a vacation....lol.

Interesting question in light of that accident: Do you think the old rule of women and children first should still stand today? (Or or do you subscribe to the George Costanza every man for himself school of thought?)

Yes

Why or why not?

Children or more vulnerable and need at least one parent with them so it just makes logical sense to me to evacuate children and their mother first. I would also include anyone that has special medical needs or a disability that would require them to be taken off the ship first.

Extra Credit:

What is your favorite/lucky number?

Bonus:

Do you have a lucky charm that you carry with you? No

If yes, what is it and why do you keep it?

Just Because:

Who's one of your favorite TV characters of all time? Dr. Frazier Crane

What did you like about him/her? Frazier is just so hilarious! He was hilarious on "Cheers" and he was equally hilarious on "Frasier". Sophisticated yet infinitely neurotic, I think he is one of the funniest TV characters of all time. Kelsey Grammer did a great job playing that role...lol.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:37 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
While on a train excursion in Japan.....at the end of the day.....I realized I had lost my wallet with my ID and money etc. I was close to panic! While trying to figure out what to do.....the phone in the hotel rang....and it was the station master.....my wallet had been found.....and thru a business card they had been able to call a family member who called my MIL....and got the name of the hotel where we were staying.....the wallet was on its way on the next train.....and returned to me the next morning.....intact! It could have been a disaster....but it was instead....a testimony of the honesty and good will of the Japanese people.
Thanks for sharing this ^ , elston. It truly is a joy to hear stories like this!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics