Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times

Advertisements

So, I'm being lazy tonight. No emoticons and no extras. Less is more, I say.

Today's Questions:

Have you ever had a dream vacation turn into a disaster? If yes, do tell. (I'm sure you heard about the cruise ship that capsized in Italy last week.)

Interesting question in light of that accident: Do you think the old rule of women and children first should still stand today? (Or or do you subscribe to the George Costanza every man for himself school of thought?)

Why or why not?

Extra Credit:

What is your favorite/lucky number?

What significance is that number to you?

Bonus:

Do you have a lucky charm that you carry with you?

If yes, what is it and why do you keep it?

Just Because:

Who's one of your favorite TV characters of all time?

What did you like about him/her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:25 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Today's Questions:

Have you ever had a dream vacation turn into a disaster? If yes, do tell. (I'm sure you heard about the cruise ship that capsized in Italy last week.)

Interesting question in light of that accident: Do you think the old rule of women and children first should still stand today? (Or or do you subscribe to the George Costanza every man for himself school of thought?)

Why or why not?
The obvious...

Extra Credit:

Bonus:

No!

Just Because:

Too many....
Thanks Spinx!

Old 01-17-2012, 09:25 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
If my internet did not have to bounce off of so many satellites to get to the real world I would have snagged the pole position

Today's Questions:

Probably only the time I tried to go home for Thanksgiving when I was in college. Let's just say I traveled for 2 days, covered 800 miles and got nowhere.

Any crew member that leaves the ship before the passengers should be brought up on charges. As to male passengers, I would hope they do the right thing and assist women and children to get off first. That is what I would do.

Why or why not?
I am very old school regarding these type of things. While I do not think women are weaker or less capable than men, I was raised to put their needs and safety ahead of mine.

Extra Credit:

It was the first number that came to mind when I read the last question

Bonus:

Nope

Just Because:

Glen Quagmire (Family Guy)

All of the bizzare things he says and does.

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 01-17-2012 at 09:58 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 09:30 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Today's Questions:

No .... Although I had enjoyed myself in Orlando when I did my dream vacation, I had a few bad days but overall, it was a good trip. I've been fortunate that I haven't had any mishaps while traveling.

Why or why not? Hmm ...

Extra Credit:

What is your favorite/lucky number? 73

What significance is that number to you? birthday

Bonus:

Do you have a lucky charm that you carry with you? Nope ... Not into lucky charms ...

If yes, what is it and why do you keep it? N/A

Just Because:

Who's one of your favorite TV characters of all time? Steve Urkel

What did you like about him/her? He's crazy and not ashamed to be a weirdo and nerd.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:45 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Today's Questions:

Well nothing like the cruise ship disaster but in 2001 we (ex-husband and son) went to Disney World and it was a mortal disaster....it was so hot (JULY 4) and tempers flared and I told off a couple of people for breaking in line....it wasn't pretty but my only defense is that it was before my hysterectomy and I needed one SEVERELY

Interesting question in light of that accident: Do you think the old rule of women and children first should still stand today? (Or or do you subscribe to the George Costanza every man for himself school of thought?) NO, I don't subscribe to George and his ramblings, never did and women and children always come first

Extra Credit:

What is your favorite/lucky number? 11

What significance is that number to you? I don't know, it is what it is

Bonus:

Do you have a lucky charm that you carry with you? yeah

I carry pepper spray and it makes me feel better, that's why

Just Because:

Carroll O'Connor ETA: Archie Bunker, it just struck me that a lot of people might not know him for Carrroll, but Archie

the honesty, you can't beat that

Last edited by Ilene Wright; 01-17-2012 at 11:07 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 09:56 PM

7,368 posts, read 5,483,693 times
Today's Questions:

We belonged to a travel club at one time. We went to the Bahamas to an 'all-inclusive'. The place was literally falling apart. It wasn't on the beach like we were told, it was in a fishy smelling canal. It was awful. The travel agent got alot of angry calls when we got back!

Interesting question in light of that accident: Do you think the old rule of women and children first should still stand today? (Or or do you subscribe to the George Costanza every man for himself school of thought?) old rule of women and children first.

Why or why not? I thought that was the rule on these ships

Extra Credit:

What is your favorite/lucky number? 7

What significance is that number to you? I won some money (not alot) on triple 7's on a slot machine a couple times.

Bonus:

Do you have a lucky charm that you carry with you? a small polished rock a friend gave me.

If yes, what is it and why do you keep it? I don't know, it hasn't brought me any luck so far!

Just Because:

Who's one of your favorite TV characters of all time? Carol Burnett

What did you like about him/her?[/quote] I just loved her, she was so funny!

Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,139,513 times
Good morning!

Today's Questions:

Just Because:

Who's one of your favorite TV characters of all time? Lucas McCain

What did you like about him/her?He was a good Pa to Mark, great with a rifle, and so dang good looking! LoL!

Have a wonderful Weds. Thanks for the Q tonight, Spinx!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:28 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Today's Questions:
I've had an unpleasant vacation one time, but never a disaster.

Interesting question in light of that accident:
Do you think the old rule of women and children first should still stand today? (Or or do you subscribe to the George Costanza every man for himself school of thought?)
Yes.
Why or why not?
Because it's the right thing to do. We're not civilized if we don't help anyone who needs it more, handicapped and the elderly, too.

Extra Credit:
7 of course.
It's "spozed" to be lucky.

Bonus:
Yes, $. Amazing what it can do.

Just Because:
So many choices.
Fred Flinstone? Ralph Kramden? Doug Heffernan?
Do you know those are all essentially the same character?

Have a yabba-dabba doo day!

Last edited by bjh; 01-17-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,144 times
Today's Questions:

No - considering all the international travel I've done over a lifetime, I've been lucky that nothing much has ever gone seriously wrong.

I don't know who George Costanza is (should I?)... but of course women and children should go first. You need a system and a protocol in these types of events. It goes without saying that children need to be helped first because they can't help themselves, and - in a collective sense - it is much easier (physical strength wise) for a group of men to help a group of women into the lifeboats than the other way around!

Extra Credit:

What is your favorite/lucky number? I have two - 19 and 10.

What significance is that number to you? Birth dates of my daughter and I.

Bonus:

Do you have a lucky charm that you carry with you? Nope

Just Because:

I don't have one!

Thanx Spinx.

Happy Hump Day to all.

Last edited by Kobber; 01-18-2012 at 12:11 AM..

Old 01-18-2012, 12:34 AM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Today's Questions:

Have you ever had a dream vacation turn into a disaster? If yes, do tell. (I'm sure you heard about the cruise ship that capsized in Italy last week.) No, thankfully, I've been fortunate that my vacations out of town have been drama-free.

Yes, the women and children should always be evacuated first.

Why or why not?
The men who are generally physically stronger have the capability to assist those who either cannot help themselves or need more time. Plus, I just think it's the right thing to do.

Extra Credit:

I don't have one.

Bonus:

No

Just Because:

MacGyver (played by Richard Dean Anderson)

What did you like about him/her? He could get out of any sticky situation using whatever materials he had on hand.

Good job, spinx! Happy Hump Day to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics