Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:38 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,790 times

Advertisements

Have you ever ridden in a train? --yes indeed

If you’ve ridden in a train, where did you go?---I used to be a rail commuter, but my last train trip was across Pennsylvania quite a few years ago

Did you like it better or worse than traveling by bus or plane? --- I found the train more comfortable than bus or plane

If you’ve never taken a train ride, what has prevented you from doing so?

Extra Credit Question:

It’s tornado season here in the Midwest, and we’ve already had some nasty spring weather. When the tornado warnings are broadcast, do you head for a safe place like a basement or interior hallway, or do you tempt the fates and keep doing whatever you were doing?

Have you ever seen or experienced a tornado? ---No, never have

Bonus Question:

When you shop for a wedding gift, do you prefer to get the happy couple:

Something from their gift registry?
A unique one-of-a-kind item from a gallery or workshop?
Something that you made personally?
A gift certificate or gift card?
Something else entirely?.......it all depends on the couple getting married

Just For Fun:

Do you pronounce the word “pecan” as “PEE-con” or as “pi-CAHN?” ----the latter

However you pronounce it, what is your favorite food with pecans? --let's see, pecan tarts? pecan pie? cranberry pecan muffins? cherry pecan muffins? pecan cinnamon rolls? cheese spread and pecans? candied pecans? still thinking about it........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 11:19 AM

581 posts, read 1,188,210 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever ridden in a train?Yup.

If you’ve ridden in a train, where did you go?From Texas to California

Did you like it better or worse than traveling by bus or plane?It's dfifferent. I'm not a good flyer but I like getting places fast. The bus is...a bus. And the train was fun and interesting but not quick enough for me. So...go figure.

Extra Credit Question:

It’s tornado season here in the Midwest, and we’ve already had some nasty spring weather. When the tornado warnings are broadcast, do you head for a safe place like a basement or interior hallway, or do you tempt the fates and keep doing whatever you were doing? I have a tornado prep kit I made while stationed in Kansas because I had a few close calls. Living in Texas, still in tornado alley, I still have my kit and keep in close. I will monitor but in a warning I will try to stay at home until it passes but normally, I just try to do what I'm doing.

Have you ever seen or experienced a tornado? Yep. First was when I was 9 and then had a few close calls since.

Bonus Question:

Something from their gift registry?I try to stick with this.
Something that you made personally?But I normally do this.
Something else entirely?

Just For Fun:

Do you pronounce the word “pecan” as “PEE-con” or as “pi-CAHN?”
it's both here in texas
However you pronounce it, what is your favorite food with pecans?

Pecan pie!! And chocolate turtles.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:27 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever ridden in a train? Many time when I was young and many times now that I'm old.

If you’ve ridden in a train, where did you go? These days, it's to Denver to board a plane.

Did you like it better or worse than traveling by bus or plane? Traveling by bus is a horror story today. Just check the Greyhound thread in the Travel Forum. I'd rather travel by plane because it's faster.

Extra Credit Question:

It’s tornado season here in the Midwest, and we’ve already had some nasty spring weather. When the tornado warnings are broadcast, do you head for a safe place like a basement or interior hallway, or do you tempt the fates and keep doing whatever you were doing? I go to the basement and hope for the best.

Have you ever seen or experienced a tornado? Saw the clouds but they didn't hit the ground. Never been through one.....yet.

Bonus Question:

Something else entirely? Something nice they will be able to use in their new home.

Just For Fun:

Pecan pie.

Today In History:

421 – Venice, Italy is founded
1634 – The first settlers arrive in Maryland
1668 – The first horse race in America takes place
1807 – The Oystermouth Railway in Britain becomes the first passenger-carrying railway in the world
1911 – The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire in New York City kills 146 garment workers
1947 – An explosion in a coal mine in Centralia, Illinois kills 111 miners
1948 – Meteorologists at Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma City issue the world’s first tornado forecast, after noticing conditions similar to another tornado that had struck five days earlier
1965 – Civil rights activists, led by Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., successfully complete a four-day, 50-mile march from Selma to the capitol in Montgomery, Alabama
1979 – Space Shuttle Columbia is delivered to the John F. Kennedy Space Center to be prepared for the first-ever launch of a space shuttle orbiter
1990 – An intentionally-set fire in Happy Land, an illegal night club in the Bronx, New York, kills 87 people

Today’s Word:
Eponymous \ĭ pŏn ə məs\ adjective
1. (of a person) being the person after whom a literary work, film, etc., is named
2. (of a literary work, film, etc.) named after its central character or creator

Today Is:
Pecan Day My favorite nut.
National Sleep Day ZZZZZZZZ
National Waffle Day That's what I had for breakfast today.
National Lobster Newburg Day Meh
Tolkien Reading Day Meh.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:32 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,033,859 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever ridden in a train?
I've never been on one!

If you’ve ridden in a train, where did you go?

Did you like it better or worse than traveling by bus or plane?

I've owned a car since I was 16 years old so it's always been easier to travel that way. Airlines are fast so that's always been my preferred way to travel if I'm in a hurry or want to get someplace quickly. I've traveled on buses a few times because it was cheap...lol. I've just never felt the need to take a train trip I suppose, however, I think it would be fun to take a train ride someday.

Extra Credit Question:

It’s tornado season here in the Midwest, and we’ve already had some nasty spring weather. When the tornado warnings are broadcast, do you head for a safe place like a basement or interior hallway, or do you tempt the fates and keep doing whatever you were doing?

I only get in an interior closet if a tornado is on the ground and headed directly at me...lol. Here in Texas we often get "tornado warnings" that are doppler radar indicated "possible" tornados. When they issue one of those warnings I watch the skies more diligently just in case a tornado actually forms.

Have you ever seen or experienced a tornado?

One time, many years ago. The tornado came within a mile or so of our house. It was very scary! The raw power of that thing was truly incredible. It was probably at least an F-3 tornado.
The wind from the tornado ripped our screen door off and blew out a couple of windows and stripped some of the shingles off the roof. Thankfully, we lived out on the very edge of town and the tornado was out in a dirt field nearby so it didn't directly hit any houses or buildings. I've also seen several funnel clouds over the years that didn't make it all the way to the ground.

Bonus Question:

Something else entirely?

Just For Fun:

"pi-CAHN"

Pecan Pie!

Old 03-25-2012, 12:44 PM

604 posts, read 456,787 times
Hi Everyone. Got all our errands done this morning, and now we're just chilling out. Time to answer

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever ridden in a train? yes

If you’ve ridden in a train, where did you go? Boston

Did you like it better or worse than traveling by bus or plane? much better!

If you’ve never taken a train ride, what has prevented you from doing so? We have to get down to Portland somehow to get on the train, so that is a bit of a hindrance. Wish it came up to Bangor. That would be SWEET

Extra Credit Question:

It’s tornado season here in the Midwest, and we’ve already had some nasty spring weather. When the tornado warnings are broadcast, do you head for a safe place like a basement or interior hallway, or do you tempt the fates and keep doing whatever you were doing? We don't have tornadoes here in Maine, but if we did, I would most likely head to the basement or wherever is safest.

Have you ever seen or experienced a tornado? no, just on Wizard of Oz

Bonus Question:

Something from their gift registry? can't go wrong with this
Something else entirely?

Just For Fun:

Do you pronounce the word “pecan” as “PEE-con” or as “pi-CAHN?” I say "PEE-can"

pie, yum

Have a great day, Everybody!

Old 03-25-2012, 01:03 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,561 times
wonderful rainy day here in eastern Maine... sweet

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever ridden in a train?
oh yes... love riding the train.

If you’ve ridden in a train, where did you go?
Amtrak to Boston several times. Also a train in France over to Morocco.. even better than Amtrak... nice

Did you like it better or worse than traveling by bus or plane?
I like them all... just more room on a train

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever seen or experienced a tornado?
I believe I did during a hurricane back in 85.... it wasn't pretty

Just For Fun:

..right out of the shells

Old 03-25-2012, 01:05 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
Merry Sunday to allyall

I love the train and yes I have taken a ride. I have not been in a tornado as far as I know, but I have been in a dust storm. My thinking is it's kinda similar.

I don't typically buy wedding gifts cause most folk I know were marries before I come on the scene, or they just shacking up or they just plain ol aint married. I like pecaans, but when I eat um the peKONs.
LOL yall ah git that later

love and peace sprinkled with joy on top

Old 03-25-2012, 03:45 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever ridden in a train? A work train that drove pilings. My uncle was the engineer.

If you’ve ridden in a train, where did you go? Too much water under the bridge since then. My uncle was building a trestle near where I lived is all I remember.

Did you like it better or worse than traveling by bus or plane? I want to do an Amtrak some day.

Extra Credit Question:

It’s tornado season here in the Midwest, and we’ve already had some nasty spring weather. When the tornado warnings are broadcast, do you head for a safe place like a basement or interior hallway, or do you tempt the fates and keep doing whatever you were doing? If I still lived in my house in MO I would seek shelter in my basement. That is why I paid extra for it.

Have you ever seen or experienced a tornado? Yes. Small tornadoes more than once.

Bonus Question:

Something else entirely?

Just For Fun:

Pie

Today In History:

421 – Venice, Italy is founded
1634 – The first settlers arrive in Maryland
1668 – The first horse race in America takes place
1807 – The Oystermouth Railway in Britain becomes the first passenger-carrying railway in the world
1911 – The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire in New York City kills 146 garment workers
1947 – An explosion in a coal mine in Centralia, Illinois kills 111 miners
1948 – Meteorologists at Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma City issue the world’s first tornado forecast, after noticing conditions similar to another tornado that had struck five days earlier
1965 – Civil rights activists, led by Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., successfully complete a four-day, 50-mile march from Selma to the capitol in Montgomery, Alabama
1979 – Space Shuttle Columbia is delivered to the John F. Kennedy Space Center to be prepared for the first-ever launch of a space shuttle orbiter
1990 – An intentionally-set fire in Happy Land, an illegal night club in the Bronx, New York, kills 87 people Karma will get you.

Today’s Word:
Eponymous \ĭ pŏn ə məs\ adjective
1. (of a person) being the person after whom a literary work, film, etc., is named
2. (of a literary work, film, etc.) named after its central character or creator

Today Is:
Pecan Day My favorite nut.
National Sleep Day I had a good nap today.
National Waffle Day Bring them own just don't forget the fruit syrups.
National Lobster Newburg Day I'll pass.
Tolkien Reading Day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics