Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 05:40 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,258,530 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever ridden in a train?

Many times

If you’ve ridden in a train, where did you go?

To many places

Did you like it better or worse than traveling by bus or plane?

Better

Extra Credit Question:

It’s tornado season here in the Midwest, and we’ve already had some nasty spring weather. When the tornado warnings are broadcast, do you head for a safe place like a basement or interior hallway, or do you tempt the fates and keep doing whatever you were doing?

Have you ever seen or experienced a tornado?

Not yet

Bonus Question:

When you shop for a wedding gift, do you prefer to get the happy couple:

Something from their gift registry?
A unique one-of-a-kind item from a gallery or workshop?
Something that you made personally?
A gift certificate or gift card?
Something else entirely?

Depends

Just For Fun:

Do you pronounce the word “pecan” as “PEE-con” or as “pi-CAHN?”

No. I say it pe-kan, which actually means that something is owned by a boy named pekka, lol...

However you pronounce it, what is your favorite food with pecans?

Today Is:
Pecan Day nom
National Sleep Day zzzzzzzzzzzz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 05:55 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,564,219 times
Morning, All! Happy Sunday. 8) LFM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I love spring in the Midwest!
Thanks for sharing your spring with us, MBW. That was beautiful. We are starting to see some color, but our winter lasted much longer than usual this year, here in the PNW.

[b]Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever ridden in a train? A few.

My first was in the early 60s when mother and I took the Pere Marquette from Grand Rapids to Detroit to shop for school clothes. I recall the dining car with white linen table cloths and silver, polished cutlery.

Since then, we've traveled France's TGV, and the commuter trains in New England (New York, MA) and DC.

Love trains, hate planes. Planes are often necessary, but I dread them and the airports.

Extra Credit Question:

When the tornado warnings are broadcast, do you head for a safe place like a basement or interior hallway, or do you tempt the fates and keep doing whatever you were doing?
I continue on with what I am doing, after I open a couple of windows. Then I listen very carefully and am basically a nervous nilly.

Have you ever seen or experienced a tornado? Seen and heard, but never experienced the actual tornado first hand -- only the after effects.

Bonus Question:

I cannot even recall the last wedding I attended, let alone the gift.

Just For Fun:

Do you pronounce the word “pecan” as “PEE-con” or as “pi-CAHN?” PEE-CAN (DH says it's my MI accent -- who ever heard of a MI accent?!)

As it happens, this morning I am enjoying some of our Pecan Coffee purchased in Ingram, TX.

Today Is:
Pecan Day
National Sleep Day
National Waffle Day
National Lobster Newburg Day
Tolkien Reading Day

Interesting. I couldn't sleep, so I'm up drinking pecan coffee, and DH said something about making waffles this morning. Now, where's Tolkien?

Whatever you all do with your day, I hope it's all you want from it.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:59 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,282,876 times
[

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever ridden in a train? Yes

If you’ve ridden in a train, where did you go? Chicago

Did you like it better or worse than traveling by bus or plane? I like planes better and the only bus I have ridden is the school bus.

If you’ve never taken a train ride, what has prevented you from doing so?

Extra Credit Question:

It’s tornado season here in the Midwest, and we’ve already had some nasty spring weather. When the tornado warnings are broadcast, do you head for a safe place like a basement or interior hallway, or do you tempt the fates and keep doing whatever you were doing? I keep an eye on the weather and make preperations to head to the basement.

Have you ever seen or experienced a tornado? I've seen funnel clouds pass over and my SIL's neighborhood got a direct hit.

Bonus Question:

Something else entirely?

Just For Fun:

However you pronounce it, what is your favorite food with pecans? Pie of course!

Today In History:

421 – Venice, Italy is founded
1634 – The first settlers arrive in Maryland
1668 – The first horse race in America takes place
1807 – The Oystermouth Railway in Britain becomes the first passenger-carrying railway in the world
1911 – The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire in New York City kills 146 garment workers
1947 – An explosion in a coal mine in Centralia, Illinois kills 111 miners
1948 – Meteorologists at Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma City issue the world’s first tornado forecast, after noticing conditions similar to another tornado that had struck five days earlier
1965 – Civil rights activists, led by Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., successfully complete a four-day, 50-mile march from Selma to the capitol in Montgomery, Alabama
1979 – Space Shuttle Columbia is delivered to the John F. Kennedy Space Center to be prepared for the first-ever launch of a space shuttle orbiter
1990 – An intentionally-set fire in Happy Land, an illegal night club in the Bronx, New York, kills 87 people

Today’s Word:
Eponymous \ĭ pŏn ə məs\ adjective
1. (of a person) being the person after whom a literary work, film, etc., is named
2. (of a literary work, film, etc.) named after its central character or creator

Today Is:
Pecan Day
National Sleep Day
National Waffle Day
Tolkien Reading Day

Old 03-25-2012, 06:08 AM

27,370 posts, read 27,420,252 times
Yes Ive ridden trains, they are actually interesting. Went from Southern Calif to San Fransisco. And Ive taken my kids to ride the SoCal Metrolink a couple of times, just to get out for a day.
Not better or worse. Planes can get you there faster, busses are nice but take too long.
We have a basement so if in the event we ever get hit, we're stocked down there. Ive heard the sirens go off a couple of times, being tested.
A tornado isnot something Ive experienced yet, but Ive experienced quakes by the hundreds, desert dust storms, typhoons and living in snow country one winter when snow was literally 2-3 ft in some parts of the yard.

I like pecans either by themselves or in pecan pie.
Happy Sunday everyone.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:17 AM

48,198 posts, read 22,033,450 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever ridden in a train? Yes!

If you’ve ridden in a train, where did you go? We had a two week rail pass in Japan and traveled all over Kyushu and Honshu.....rode locals and express and bullet "Shinkansen" high speed trains.

Rail travel is wonderful! Comfortable, fast, and in Japan the service is reliable.

Extra Credit Question:

It’s tornado season here in the Midwest, and we’ve already had some nasty spring weather. When the tornado warnings are broadcast, do you head for a safe place like a basement or interior hallway, or do you tempt the fates and keep doing whatever you were doing?

Have you ever seen or experienced a tornado?
A small tornado went thru my town last year.....we werent in its path.

Bonus Question:

Something else entirely?

Just For Fun:

Do you pronounce the word “pecan” as “PEE-con” or as “pi-CAHN?” "Pea-Can"

I lived for some months in Alabama....and we had a pecan tree in the front yard as did most of the neighbors....we spent a lot of time sitting around in the evening...talking and cracking and eating Pecans! Good Memories.

Today Is:
Pecan Day
National Sleep Day
National Waffle Day
Tolkien Reading Day

Old 03-25-2012, 07:20 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,634,064 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever ridden in a train?
Yes but it was eons ago

It was Tweetsie Railroad and it just travels around in a circle

Don't remember much about it I was so young

Extra Credit Question:

I would stop what I was doing and head for a safe place but we hardly ever have tornado warnings

Have you ever seen or experienced a tornado? nope

Bonus Question:

Something else entirely?

Just For Fun:

Do you pronounce the word “pecan” as “PEE-con” or as “pi-CAHN?” Pee-can

Pecan pie!

Today Is:
Pecan Day.......................................I could go for some pecan pie right now
National Sleep Day...........................that's what I'm getting ready to do
National Waffle Day..........................I'm really getting hungry now
National Lobster Newburg Day..........oooooh yummy
Tolkien Reading Day..........................ok

Old 03-25-2012, 07:26 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,746,519 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever ridden in a train? Yes. I love trains and train rides.

If you’ve ridden in a train, where did you go? When I was young, to my brothers in NE. As a teen I rode quite a few times between Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and Chicago. Mrs. Tek and I go on them when we are in an area where they tour. The last one was in western North Carolina.

Did you like it better or worse than traveling by bus or plane? Better than a bus, but I like a plane for long distances because of the time factor. If they were as nice as they used to be I'd travel cross country, but now??

Extra Credit Question:

It’s tornado season here in the Midwest, and we’ve already had some nasty spring weather. When the tornado warnings are broadcast, do you head for a safe place like a basement or interior hallway, or do you tempt the fates and keep doing whatever you were doing? It depends on the warning and what I see outside. Weather people have a tendency to freak out over them and tell everyone to take cover when they're 50 miles away and headed in a direction away from us. I try to stay level headed about it. And, yes I've sat through tornadoes, listening to the roof being torn off, so I know what it's all about.

Have you ever seen or experienced a tornado? ^Yes^

Bonus Question:

Something else entirely?

Money. Most newlyweds need money. Gifts are great, but there's always something they need to buy or pay off.

Just For Fun:

If you put pecans and sugar in it I'll probably eat it as long as fish isn't an ingredient.

Today In History:

421 – Venice, Italy is founded Who lost it?
1634 – The first settlers arrive in Maryland
1668 – The first horse race in America takes place
1807 – The Oystermouth Railway in Britain becomes the first passenger-carrying railway in the world Who names these things?
1911 – The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire in New York City kills 146 garment workers
1947 – An explosion in a coal mine in Centralia, Illinois kills 111 miners
1948 – Meteorologists at Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma City issue the world’s first tornado forecast, after noticing conditions similar to another tornado that had struck five days earlier
1965 – Civil rights activists, led by Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., successfully complete a four-day, 50-mile march from Selma to the capitol in Montgomery, Alabama
1979 – Space Shuttle Columbia is delivered to the John F. Kennedy Space Center to be prepared for the first-ever launch of a space shuttle orbiter
1990 – An intentionally-set fire in Happy Land, an illegal night club in the Bronx, New York, kills 87 people

Today’s Word:
1. (of a person) being the person after whom a literary work, film, etc., is named
2. (of a literary work, film, etc.) named after its central character or creator

Today Is:
Pecan Day
National Sleep Day Apparently not - I've been awake since 4:30 after going to bed at 12:30...
National Waffle Day
Tolkien Reading Day

Old 03-25-2012, 07:34 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,682,358 times
And what better way to spring into Sunday than with:

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever ridden in a train? yes

If you’ve ridden in a train, where did you go? Been on many trains but the most interesting was From Florence to Venice.

Did you like it better or worse than traveling by bus or plane? oh I like a train. When we lived in PA, it was much easier to take the train in town than to drive. We used to go in for dinner and show.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever seen or experienced a tornado? no thank God. I can't imagine and don't want to. Tornado's aren't common here but every once in a while one will pop up. Frightens the heck out of me cuz we live in a manufactued home community and there is NO place to go. Guess we just get blown to the wind.

Bonus Question:

Something else entirely? usually give money

Just For Fun:

I love pecan pie

Old 03-25-2012, 07:37 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,059,456 times
Hello everyone! Today happens to be a very special birthday for me.

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever ridden in a train? Yes

If you’ve ridden in a train, where did you go? Downtown Chicago

Did you like it better or worse than traveling by bus or plane? Much better

Extra Credit Question:

It’s tornado season here in the Midwest, and we’ve already had some nasty spring weather. When the tornado warnings are broadcast, do you head for a safe place like a basement or interior hallway, or do you tempt the fates and keep doing whatever you were doing? I'm a weather buff, so I watch the radar images and keep track of the warnings and storm reports. Never had to take shelter....YET.

Have you ever seen or experienced a tornado? No, but saw a rotating wall cloud.

Bonus Question:

Something from their gift registry? This I suppose
Something else entirely?

Just For Fun:

Do you pronounce the word “pecan” as “PEE-con” or as “pi-CAHN?” Pee Con

However you pronounce it, what is your favorite food with pecans? Hmm.. Pecan pie is good!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:56 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,054,848 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever ridden in a train? Long, long time ago when I was young

If you’ve ridden in a train, where did you go? It was one of the scenic ones, either the Royal Gorge or Silverton; can't remember which one.

Did you like it better or worse than traveling by bus or plane? Hard to say, it was so long ago and as a kid everything new is fun.

If you’ve never taken a train ride, what has prevented you from doing so? I'd like to take a real train ride like through Europe. Think that would be real cool. Takes some bucks to go there so that's why I haven't done it yet.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever seen or experienced a tornado? Tons of them during 21 or so years between OK and TX. Thought I'd get away from them when I moved up to CO

Bonus Question:

Something from their gift registry? Usually this if they've set one up; that way I know they need it.
A gift certificate or gift card? For my niece, bought them something on their registry and card with $$$
Something else entirely?

Just For Fun:

However you pronounce it, what is your favorite food with pecans? I don't need anything else with pecans. Eat them by the handful.

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Pecan Day
National Sleep Day Nope, laundry day
National Waffle Day Yum!
National Lobster Newburg Day Allergic
Tolkien Reading Day Don't have any books, but maybe I'll stream a movie.

Have a great Sunday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics