Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you going to buy a ticket?
Yes 24 55.81%
No 15 34.88%
I never win anything 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 04:01 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,953 times

Advertisements

I would share but only with certain people. Friends and family who work hard and don't whine about how bad their lives are. With them, I would be very generous.

Trust funds for our kids, granddaughter and one for future grandkids. We'd pay off our daughter and son-in-laws mortgage and buy houses for our other kids.

Finally, we would open a shelter for animals with lots of room for them to run and play. While that was being built we'd take one hell of a family vacation.

Oh yeah, new trucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 04:03 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
I'll continue. I can only write so much as above in one go on my machine!! This would'nt happen to me because I would sit on the porch, in my rocking chair, in my house in Iowa, and think long and hard about what to do with the money. I would sit there at night, listening to my corn rustling in the breeze, and decide what good I could do for others in need. After Judy had her satellite dish installed of course............

Old 03-29-2012, 04:08 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
It costs less than $200 million to buy every combination of number. Guaranteed winner!
How fast can you fill out each lottery card to get all the combinations. The lottery commission said that you have to manually fill out each combination. It would take weeks to do that.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
How fast can you fill out each lottery card to get all the combinations. The lottery commission said that you have to manually fill out each combination. It would take weeks to do that.
Not if you paid people $.30 for each unique card filled out in your name you'd only spend $260 million on everything. Might take 50,000 people, but still a nice profit.

Just gotta hope you don't have to split the jackpot

Old 03-29-2012, 05:30 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Mrs. Aks has already told me how she will spend a good portion of the money. However I'm not in agreement with her ideas. I want to donate most of it.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:44 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
On the news this evening the Lottery Commision said that more than enough Mega tickets have already been sold to cover all combinations. At least one person will win. The only drawback is that there is a possibility that there will be several tickets with the same set of numbers as their computers print the numbers randomly and at times the same set of numbers comes up more than once.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:50 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,758 times
I've thought about it many times. If I were to win a mega jackpot this is what I'd do...
Lump sum...federal taxes of course, no state income tax here in TX
tithe plus additional 10% to my church
pay off all outstanding bills of which there are a few
have my final expenses (funeral arrangements) set up
purchase a reliable good quality vehicle and camper combo
set up trust account for daughter
set up account for housemates youngest daughter and her family
set up trusts for each grandchild (4) for their college or whatever when they turn 21
invest in ? and live off the interest
find a piece of land and build modest housing for me and housemate

there's only one flaw with this whole scenario...I DON'T PLAY THE LOTTERY!!! Oh well...nice dream

Old 03-29-2012, 07:11 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
I joined a Mega Millions pool at work; we're all chipping in $5. Because the quick picks didn't even win us $1 (really??) during the last two drawings, this time we all filled in our own choices. I had to be taught how to fill out the ticket! "The Mega Million number is in this section." Can you tell how often I play?! I've said that my life was never meant to be that easy!

If I won, I'd do nothing initially. Then I'd set up some kind of a trust or something so that I could hopefully claim the winnings anonymously. I'd also make sure that the financial advisor I currently work with now (I'm her assistant) would get to manage my assets!

I'd probably donate to lots of charities, and not just for the tax benefits. I'd buy a nice house, but I have no need for a mansion with thirty bedrooms and forty bathrooms, etc.! However, I would buy a very nice car.

I can dream... But realistically, it's not worth spending more than $5 on.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:32 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
This is a great thread!!!! I like and all the post are good Aks... u the man!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:14 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
If I was to hit the numbers, I would first hire a lawyer (for a nominal fee) to represent me and claim it on my behalf in order to maintain anonymity.

Then we'd continue to live our normal lives while cutting back on the work hours and maybe increasing the volunteer hours.

Parents would be rewarded handsomely for their years of loving us. Same with siblings and our children.

Generous donations would be made to the charities and non-profits we believe in.

Then we'd spend a little on some nice things (trips, vehicles, etc); but nothing over the top.

The rest goes into investments and growth.

In a nutshell, I don't want to flaunt it and I certainly don't want any attention from it.

Good luck to the players!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics