Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 06:10 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,225,721 times

Advertisements

But why the braille? This is mysterious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 06:25 PM

24,773 posts, read 28,551,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
But why the braille? This is mysterious!
The braille is odd... Still think Air Force Scrap.. some $$$$$$$ project that was scrapped and they came up for Military GSA Auction and were purchase for the RV Park as accommodations and being used by public they put braille inside denoting walls / light / exit /... take a photo of the braille plaque and maybe some one on CD can read the message.. The rotary vent on top much has been used for circulation of air. Looks like a neat place too camp... just check for those big snakes !!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,887,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Aircraft Bone Yard... some where out west I think Arizona ?
That's what I thought you were asking... I think we drove past it on vacation 2010. Long ways from there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
These obviously were surplus scrap that someone was able to get and use for their own purpose. If the government used these domes (as is) they would not have a wooden floor with cement steps going up to them. They used them for some “other” purpose associated with the mission. So a third party acquired the domes and placed them in this same location that the pictures were taken. Why did they have them? There was a vent at the top which might have been added after they got them from government. It’s a good place to smoke meat or make beef jerky. Last week I bought some out of this world beef jerky perhaps it was made right here where these photos were taken.

SATX56 ,,, what military base was nearby? (Lackland AFB?)

You might contact the local historian of any nearby community or the military base, show them the photos and see what information they can supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
SATX56 ,,,, if I used google maps, where would I start to look for this area? I'm wondering if a view from above would have some answers? And have you tried the google maps on this before?
I started to post coordinates and the URL looking straight at them last night. I'd just been kind of wanting to keep secret at least locally! So I didn't. But.....
Quote:
The braille is odd... Still think Air Force Scrap.. some $$$$$$$ project that was scrapped and they came up for Military GSA Auction and were purchase for the RV Park as accommodations and being used by public they put braille inside denoting walls / light / exit /... take a photo of the braille plaque and maybe some one on CD can read the message.. The rotary vent on top much has been used for circulation of air. Looks like a neat place too camp... just check for those big snakes !!
The domino looking braille or code (doubt it's braille) as letters are not raised. Yes perfect for snakes and we were looking believe me. But hot as it was they were likely laying low in a hole somewhere.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 PM

These objects are about a 1/4 mile, maybe, from where JFK gave a speech the day before his assassination.

Spoiler
Brooks Air Force Base also known and dedicated as Brooks Aerospace Medical Center Nov. 21, 1963. Now part of the military downsizing it has been turned into city facilities and other uses. Part is still very Chernobyl (ghost town) looking as it is still in transition. This is a link to area at the southern end of the base. This satellite photo is at least a couple years old I assume.

Google Maps

You see there are 10 total objects. The RV park to the left or just west of the objects was still in use. The park is now abandoned and vandalized likely by kids from the privacy fenced neighborhood to the near south.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:28 PM

It's like a KOA and the little cabins they have.. most likely some sort of shipping container Government Excess Auction and some sharp mind said they would work as a sleeping /camping quarters. Most like paid almost next too nothing getting them. Probably back in the late 60's early 70's when camping was going strong.

Something like this for a camp ground.. http://www.agri-plastics.net/calfhutches.html <<<<<< with out the fence. Perfect little place for 2 and a sleeping bag. No feeding bowl or water bowl. On a concrete or wood platform you would have all most the same set up as the domes.
Then for 4 people use the Group Hutch...

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 09-06-2012 at 08:48 PM..

Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
It's like a KOA and the little cabins they have.. most likely some sort of shipping container Government Excess Auction and some sharp mind said they would work as a sleeping /camping quarters. Most like paid almost next too nothing getting them. Probably back in the late 60's early 70's when camping was going strong.
I've lived within a mile or two of this site my entire life and never knew it existed. It's well hidden and certainly was even more difficult to access in earlier times than it is now. The RV park alone was a big surprise. Thinking to myself who in the world would have even known of this place.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:

Something like this for a camp ground.. Custom Rotational Molding, Calf Hutches & Livestock Supplies - Agri-Plastics Manufacturing
Those are animal enclosures. We have a KOA further north closer to Fort Sam Houston. Still not convinced of anything. If for animal shelters ..why no windows. They might be ok in the winter here but summer temps would roast an animal in one. Could have been a winter campsite for girl or boy scouts. But, there's a huge boy scout campground on the other side of town. They definitely look old but I can't imagine them being from the 70's in same location..

Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Those are animal enclosures. We have a KOA further north closer to Fort Sam Houston. Still not convinced of anything. If for animal shelters ..why no windows. They might be ok in the winter here but summer temps would roast an animal in one. Could have been a winter campsite for girl or boy scouts. But, there's a huge boy scout campground on the other side of town. They definitely look old but I can't imagine them being from the 70's in same location..
Would be hot in your area.. But they would work in a cooler climate as a Human Shelter little wood door on front a little light in the ceiling.. as you said Boy Scout / Girl Scout camp shelter Seeing it was next too a AFB.. still could be a nose cones made by a company named Gemini..
I still worry about those dang snakes..

Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Would be hot in your area.. But they would work in a cooler climate as a Human Shelter little wood door on front a little light in the ceiling.. as you said Boy Scout / Girl Scout camp shelter Seeing it was next too a AFB.. still could be a nose cones made by a company named Gemini..
I still worry about those dang snakes..
If you look around to the north you'll see the base buildings and hangars. Planes haven't flown out of there since 1960 or 61' I think. There are a couple fuselages used for training purposes still visible. There were static displays of "Weightless" Aircraft used in early weightless training. I'm thinking the cones were made by a company named Gemini and still very curious as to the coding system.

This is where JFK stood to dedicate the Aerospace Medical Center the day before his assassination. http://goo.gl/maps/5JpG4

Old 09-06-2012, 09:22 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,501,650 times

Gemini Jets Airplanes - YouTube

Maybe this will help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics