Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 01:59 PM

61,966 posts, read 87,594,180 times

Advertisements

A guide posted in Etipedia.
Some tips seem a little generous, especially in present economy, but I guess it could be a guide for some:

Holiday Tipping Is Really Holiday Thanking

Do you agree with it? What are your regional customs? Who you will spend money on, and how much you will spend?

Last edited by elnina; 12-18-2012 at 10:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 03:23 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,259,819 times
I think anything a person can spare for those people in their lives that are on the list is a good tip. The only people on the list that are in my life are mail carrier, package deliverer and trash collector. There's a variety of people who deliver packages so I can't pick out a regular. Trash collectors arrive in the wee hours and even in daylight, trying to leave something on top of the bin would get tossed into the trash. The mail carrier at my new place is a woman definitely 55+ and I thought I would give her a card with $20. But the link says no money of any source! I did not know that!

I've given nice tips to the people doing repair/renovation in my home and I always leave more than 15% for a meal even if it's take-out. Otherwise, my tipping is random kindness as I encounter those in need.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:24 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,338,184 times
I will only tip my hair stylist this year. I haven't decided what I will give her yet!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:39 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,097,591 times
I know several people who rebel at tipping people who do services for them every week....for example the trash collector. Yet, these same people who set their trash out weekly and even throw out extra trash and leave big items the trash man must lift by himself, will leave a huge tip at the table for the waitress when they go out to eat.

I really don't understand how they can leave a big tip for a restaurant server who they will most likely never see again, but the trash man, yard man, etc does service through rain, snow, heat, etc. and no tip is left. I personally know a couple of trash men and I know they don't make tons of money even though some seem to think they do. I personally think the trash man is my most important service person! And mine does take big items if I need him too....and does it gladly! And I tip him well too and even more than once a year.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:00 PM

44,677 posts, read 61,787,970 times
I'm retired and most of the people I deal with are working people that get paid well to do what they do. That includes the mailman, paper person, trash people, landscapers etal. Why tip someone whose doing their job that they're already being paid to do. Let their company reward them with a bonus if so desired. I only tip for a service above what is normally expected, usually that would be for an unusual request or for something extra not in the norm.
Service people like waitstaff I tip since tips are part of their paltry wages.
To me tipping has gotten out of hand, too many people wanting a handout.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:08 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,934,738 times
^^^ I agree with nitram. I am Santa to a number of people but not just everyone who provides some type of service for me who I already PAID to do the job. I'm not a Santa handing out money to just everyone. I will be generous to those in need - that's a different story.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:11 PM

24,542 posts, read 26,100,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
^^^ I agree with nitram. I am Santa to a number of people but not just everyone who provides some type of service for me who I already PAID to do the job. I'm not a Santa handing out money to just everyone. I will be generous to those in need - that's a different story.
I agree.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:34 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,906,643 times
I think I should thank.. everyone on City Data.. I think..

I express my thanks in many ways, one of them is by helping the needy in various ways, which is what Jesus told us to do.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:49 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,444,670 times
I really don't believe in tipping people for a job they were hired for and paid to do just for a holiday. I will give someone extra money or a bonus at the time of service if they have gone above and beyond the norm. They should be rewarded when they do a good or better than normal job It shouldn't be expected just because it is Christmas

I think too many people are guilted and pressured into tipping around the holidays. Many people cannot afford this and it causes a lot of stress for people.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:03 PM

24,777 posts, read 28,587,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I think I should thank.. everyone on City Data.. I think..

I express my thanks in many ways, one of them is by helping the needy in various ways, which is what Jesus told us to do.
Thank You and Merry Christmas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics