Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 07:20 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,101,857 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all ~~~~~ Have you ever heard the following quote by an unknown author? "Please God, make my words today sweet and tender, for tomorrow I may have to eat them." This quote sometimes fits me to a tee. Also this unknown author one is typical me too: "Lord, be merciful, shut me up when my life speaks so much louder than my words."

Just another day in the life of this Midwestern Chickie. Hot and humid is the game here....Hot Chickie is the name.

<*><*><*><*><*><*><*>

Grammie was quite a gardener and wow could she grow the biggest and prettiest African Violets. Her church ladies were so jealous when they would come to the house for a get together. Of course she taught me some of her garden tactics but my thumb still isn't as green as hers. Grammie always said to never water African violets with cold water, and always use lukewarm water and don't overwater the plants. Also these bloom best when they are root bound so make sure your pot isn't too big.

Here are some things she taught me for all round gardening......

~~~~~ Plant white and purple turnips in the Midwest on July 25 every year for the best turnips.

~~~~~ The best time to plant parsley is on Good Friday in the Midwest.

~~~~~ Fish water is the best for fruit trees. So when you clean fish, pour the water around your fruit trees.

~~~~~ When your gardening scissors or any scissors get dull, sharpen them by opening and drawing backward and forward on a piece of glass. Scissors which you thought were destined to the rubbish, will get sharpened using this.

~~~~~ Ground elder.....horrible stuff. Plant Mexican Marigold near this to help control ground elder.

~~~~~ To keep rabbits away from your tender plants, plant a row of onions, chives or garlic as the rabbits will not cross these rows of onions, chives or garlic....but don't plant these near peas and beans as these plants don't like onions, chives and garlic near them.

~~~~~ If you boil the leaves of wild garlic you can use the water from this as a spray to repel insects and aphids, to prevent tomato blight, bean rust and mildew in cucumbers.

And here's an old country rhyme you might have heard:

"Cut thistles in May, they grow in a day;
Cut them in June and that is too soon.
Cut them in July and then they die."

<*><*><*><*><*><*>

Today is me day. I think I posted this before but oh well. This is a picture of me on Santa's lap when I was 2.5 years old. I still have the coat and am posting a current day picture of the coat. I wore the coat, my cousin wore it, my younger sister wore it and both my girls wore it. And it is in amazing shape.....5o+ years later.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 08:20 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,265,631 times
More good Grammie info! I love African Violets but they never last with me. I do not have a green thumb.

That's a beautiful child's coat. Just goes to show how good fabrics were back in the day. Now we have crap from other countries.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:34 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,315,536 times
I love your stories Chickie! Your tips are wonderful too! And I remember the pics of you on Santa's lap and the coat!

A good story, especially with pics is ALWAYS worth telling over and over again! (Giant Grins)
Actually, I could sit and listen to you tell your stories/memories and pass-a-longs all day long! I'll walk with you down memory lane as often as you like! Just say when! LOL

Chickie girl, YOU are a treasure!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 AM

16,731 posts, read 17,505,691 times
Ground elder.....horrible stuff. Plant Mexican Marigold near this to help control ground elder.

That is worth knowing!

Miss J and I both think the photo of you and of the coat are so sweet!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:55 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,348,262 times
WOW, how wonderful that you still have this coat!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:02 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,191,293 times
Grammie was right about those African Violets, hot chickie!

I can sure grow those and Gloxinias! All of those plants in that family....known as 'gesneriads'.
It's great to hear that Grammie appreciated those plants/flowers that I love so much!

It's amazing that you still have that coat and in such good condition!

(I was very busy yesterday so I didn't get in here to post. I had 'man's work' to do....that means I was setting up my 4th Nintendo game console here in the living room. )

Old 06-19-2013, 04:24 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,963,193 times
Great pic of you & Santa......................

Old 06-19-2013, 04:33 PM

4,698 posts, read 7,917,311 times
So cute! Nice coat, too!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics