Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:44 AM

16,763 posts, read 17,531,009 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

It's started off a bit dull as you will see from the photos that follow.

I awoke to find the ponies in the field, grabbed the camera and photoed them from the bedroom window.

Last year the RAF Red Arrows formation team together with a Vulcan bomber flew over the field at low level totally unexpectedly!

There was no time to grab the camera for that fantastic sight.

Have you ever wished that you had your camera with you in order to take a shot of an unexpected sight? I guess camera phones help these days.

Let's hear your experiences because the POTD is;

I wish I'd taken a photo of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 12:50 AM

Here are those shots. The first ones were taken from the upstairs window;

Old 08-29-2013, 01:15 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,109,176 times
I take my little camera everywhere. Brooks Base here has changed hands to civilian purposes in the last few years. JFK had just given a speech for the Aerospace Medical Center's introduction. Then he drove from there straight down Military drive to Kelly AFB to fly on towards Dallas and his assassination the next day. I was among others that stood roadside and waived as his motorcade passed by.

Many pilots and astronauts have trained in Brooks Hyperbaric chamber and Centrifuge. Including the fellow that parachuted from the edge of space recently. The entire base is now in civilian hands and rapidly all it's buildings and equipment are being made use of.

To make this long story short the Centrifuge and Hyperbaric chambers are still in use. I tried some time ago to get in to see the centrifuge. Was told no tours are given. Recently I tried again and happened to catch I believe the man in charge as he was entering the front door. After a short plea he invited me in. Fortunately, I had my camera. Not only was I allowed to view the centrifuge from the upper level viewing windows...but I watched a full run. I have no idea why but i didn't utilize my camera's video function and get the thing running. But I got some stills. Then after the run was over he took me downstairs and into the centrifuge room. I was tickled pink.

I'll post as picture soon as i dig it up!

Old 08-29-2013, 01:19 AM

What a really great story there SATX! Wow!

Old 08-29-2013, 01:34 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,109,176 times
I saw the control room next to the observation windows. I believe 3 men operating it. There were 4 or 5 pilots with an instructor off to my other side viewing a large monitor. They were watching as another pilot was in the centrifuge undergoing the G-Force training. I could see the monitor and the test subjects face and voice during the test. It was awesome to get to see it. National geographic had been there recently making a documentary.

JFK documentary to highlight President's visit to San Antonio | News - Home

Here's one of my pics....

Old 08-29-2013, 04:25 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,221,637 times
Saw the most beautiful Golden Eagle up on the mountains yesterday afternoon. Flew just over a truck coming toward me.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:46 AM

34,333 posts, read 20,614,176 times
f.2, that would be a blessing to see.

I don't take my camera with me nearly as much as I used to, and have REALLY regretted it a couple of times. Now I use my cell phone, but it's not the same.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:31 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,317,500 times
Well, I don't have anything quite as exciting or grand as y'all, but I did wish I had a pic of that sunset last evening. It was breathtakingly beautiful.

Jezer the ponies are awesome! Thank you for the pics!!!

SATX, yours was awesome too! I've seen those things in movies where the astronauts were training and such, but this is the first real pic I've ever seen! I'm so glad that you got a chance to experience something so incredible! YEA!!!!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:29 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,702,436 times

Good morning

I love horses......such a majestic animal.

Good peeve and I wish I could remember the many times this has happened to me. But I can't.
Not right now anyway. May come to me later in the day.

I do know this has happened many many times

BTW......there is a place along the shore in Va called Asseteague and chicioteague...... NOt sure of the spelling.......but it is where the ponies swim a couple times a year. There is some history to this. Can't remember that either.
Hey that is good peeve. Can't remember a darn thing.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:12 AM

36,537 posts, read 16,118,422 times
The other night a big deer was just standing there on all 4's eating out of my bird feeder, by the time I got the camera, he was gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics