Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 03:40 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times

Advertisements

My apologies for the extra early posting. Due to the holiday we're leaving now to be guests overnight down the road a bit.
Just in case their Internet connection won't cooperate, here we go . . .

--
Happy Thanksgiving Day in the USA! (and anywhere else where people want to celebrate )

Today's Question:
Thursday is the anniversary of Shakespeare's marriage to Anne Hathaway so that's excuse enough to ask:
What did you think of the Shakespearean works you studied (or were supposed to study ) in school or college?

Bonus Question:
This year are you hosting or being a guest somewhere for any of the holidays?

Foodie Questions:
If there are any dishes or foods that are special to your family at any time of the year, what are they and what makes them stand out?

Just for fun - fill in the blank:
I sometimes wonder how __________________ works.

Today in History:
1582 William Shakespeare and Anne Hathaway married in Stratford upon Avon, England. The couple had a bond from the local church authorities letting them marry immediately, avoiding the normal banns, a procedure that took months. The bond cost forty pounds, twice the yearly salary for the Stratford schoolmaster. The cost was put up by two local farmers who were friends of the bride's late father. The groom was eighteen years old, the bride was twenty-six, and their first child, Susanna, was baptized six months later. An early birth.
--
1863 Thanksgiving 1st officially recognized by the US government as a national holiday
1869 1st chewing gum patent to W. F. Semple of Mt vernon, Ohio
1930 After a sandstorm in Morocco, mud rained down in Paris and yellow sand fell in Spain
1948 Polaroid Land Camera, 1st self-developing photo camera went on sale in Boston

Today’s Word:
toothsome [tooth-suhm] - adjective
"pleasant to the taste," from 1560s; the figurative sense of "attractive" (1550s) is a bit older
example, a toothsome meal

Today Is:
Thanksgiving Day
French Toast Day
Independence Day
--Albania from Turkey in 1912,
--Mauritania from France in 1960,
--Panama from Spain in 1821.

Today's Picture:
Gibson factory showroom guitars, taken a coupla years ago for a photo contest, subject: blur.
Never posted to the Q, so new to some. Hope you likey.

Happy day to all and remember to ----->
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 03:43 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Lightbulb Today's Questions <:>== Thanksgiving Thursday, 28 November 2013
My apologies for the extra early posting. Due to the holiday we're leaving now to be guests overnight down the road a bit.
Accepted!
--
Happy Thanksgiving Day in the USA! (and anywhere else where people want to celebrate )
Same to you!

Today's Question:
Thursday is the anniversary of Shakespeare's marriage to Anne Hathaway so that's excuse enough to ask:
What did you think of the Shakespearean works you studied (or were supposed to study ) in school or college?

Bonus Question:

Daughter's house.

Foodie Questions:
If there are any dishes or foods that are special to your family at any time of the year, what are they and what makes them stand out?
Broccoli casserole....deliciousness makes it stand out.

I always wonder how _____Women_____________ work.

Today in History:
1582 William Shakespeare and Anne Hathaway married in Stratford upon Avon, England. The couple had a bond from the local church authorities letting them marry immediately, avoiding the normal banns, a procedure that took months. The bond cost forty pounds, twice the yearly salary for the Stratford schoolmaster. The cost was put up by two local farmers who were friends of the bride's late father. The groom was eighteen years old, the bride was twenty-six, and their first child, Susanna, was baptized six months later. An early birth.
--
1863 Thanksgiving 1st officially recognized by the US government as a national holiday
1930 After a sandstorm in Morocco, mud rained down in Paris and yellow sand fell in Spain
1948 Polaroid Land Camera, 1st self-developing photo camera went on sale in Boston

Today’s Word:
"pleasant to the taste," from 1560s; the figurative sense of "attractive" (1550s) is a bit older

Today Is:
Thanksgiving Day
French Toast Day
Independence Day

Today's Picture:
Gibson factory showroom guitars, taken a coupla years ago for a photo contest, subject: blur.
Fender/Gibson
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 984$sx1021$s.

Thanks BJ!

Old 11-27-2013, 03:45 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times

--

Today's Question:
I was first exposed to Shakespeare outside of school.
My mother's family would go to a couple theatre companies in Maine (Camden & Monmouth) to see plays in the summer, and they brought me along.
I admit, the language is really problematic for me, and I couldn't understand what was going on.
I think the works are a milestone in our culture, but the vocabulary/speech is a barrier-to-entry for many.

Bonus Question:
No, but I'm accustomed to disregarding holidays, not being close with family, and eating my junk food alone (without having someone give me a guilt trip about my food choices).

Foodie Questions:
None that I'm aware of.
My parents never were much for making food.

I sometimes wonder how __________________ works.
More like, what *don't* I wonder about ?
I could fill in: the social contract, personal relationships, machines, medicine, the internet, recorded music, airplanes, all sorts of complex multi-dimensional phenomena.
Know I could do a search for the hows & whys, but reading explanations fails to help me really comprehend the inner workings of such complicated realities.

Today in History:
I chew gum almost constantly when I'm out of the house, keeps me from getting dry mouth

Thanks for the early Qs, bjh.
Hope everybody has a tolerable enough Txgiving day
, without too much stress & hassle.

Here's a clip (5 mins.) that I find adorable, it offers a silver lining to those of us spending the holiday(s) alone:

Guess Who's Coming to Thanksgiving Dinner? - The Colbert Report - 2013-21-11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

We get to miss out on the possibility of uncomfortable family bickering and drama.

Last edited by cloven; 11-27-2013 at 04:01 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 04:01 PM

126,280 posts, read 19,053,589 times

--

Today's Question:
What did you think of the Shakespearean works you studied (or were supposed to study ) in school or college? I enjoyed Shakespeare,but at that young age did not appreciate as much as I do now

Bonus Question:
This year are you hosting or being a guest somewhere for any of the holidays?I will be hosting and be visiting

Foodie Questions:
If there are any dishes or foods that are special to your family at any time of the year, what are they and what makes them stand out?Duck or Goose or Rainbow Trout with whipped horseradish,Smoked Salmon and Caviar with Champagne,Baumkuchen Torte (Global Table Adventure | Recipe: German Tree Cake (Baumtorte/Baumkuchen) )or Zuger Cherry Torte,Stollen,Christmas baking

I sometimes wonder how __communication between 2 phones _works.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING !

Old 11-27-2013, 04:04 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times

--

Today's Question:

Bonus Question:
This year are you hosting or being a guest somewhere for any of the holidays? But I'm cooking the turkey.

Foodie Questions:
If there are any dishes or foods that are special to your family at any time of the year, what are they and what makes them stand out? Ambrosia, citrus salad. Red grapefruit sections, navel orange sections, tad of fresh pineapple, tad of fresh apple if desired, garnished with fresh grated coconut and topped off with those sweet long stem red cherries.

I sometimes wonder how keeping adult parents happy works.

Today in History:
--

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Thanksgiving Day
French Toast Day
Independence Day

Today's Picture:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 984$sx1021$s.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:05 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

--

Today's Question:

didn't care for him when reading the plays in college. Then I went to Stratford-on-Avon in England and saw one live. Whole different ball game-I liked it!

Bonus Question:

nope

Foodie Questions:

no family left.

I sometimes wonder how ___computers_______________ works.

Today in History:
--

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Thanksgiving Day
French Toast Day
Independence Day

Today's Picture:

gotta love those Gibsons!
Thanks, bjh.
Have a great Thanksgiving everyone. It's not just about food.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:10 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times

--
Happy Thanksgiving Day in the USA! (and anywhere else where people want to celebrate)

Today's Question:
What did you think of the Shakespearean works you studied (or were supposed to study) in school or college? I didn't like them at the time, but once in a while now I enjoy reading Shakespeare.

Bonus Question:
This year are you hosting or being a guest somewhere for any of the holidays? I'm having Thanksgiving dinner at my house because I am still unable to go out post foot surgery. My sis and I decided to use a caterer this year because of our unusual circumstances, so she and her hubby will be picking up our dinner for four from one of our favorite restaurants. It should work out well.

Foodie Questions:
If there are any dishes or foods that are special to your family at any time of the year, what are they and what makes them stand out? For Thanksgiving, we like the traditional turkey with stuffing, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie.

I sometimes wonder how my #(%*$&# computer works.

Today’s Word:
Fun word!

Today Is:
Thanksgiving Day Yay! Let's eat!
French Toast Day Yum! I love French toast. Can't make any on Thursday, though, since I don't have any bread in the house.

Gobble gobble, everyone! Happy Thanksgiving!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:12 PM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Some Shakespeare I adore, some is a bit too heavy.

Where I work Shakespeare would visit and it's thought that perhaps two of his plays were performed there for the first time, one in the presence of King James I in 1603.

It's a bit of a corny clip to choose especially with the music, but this is wonderful;

Henry V - Band of Brothers Speech - HQ 480p - Kenneth Branagh 1989 Film - YouTube

Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:14 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
Today's Question:
I went to a redneck cow college. The school did not center around Shakespeare. Was never on any of my reading lists

Bonus Question:
No plans so far. I did overhear the dust bunnies under my bed planning a raid on my kitchen once I cooked dinner.

Foodie Questions:
Corned Beef and Cabbage. We always had it on March 17th. Lot of options for the leftovers. Might make reuben sandwiches. Could be corned beef hash

I sometimes wonder how anything works.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:25 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Today's Questions <:>== Thanksgiving Thursday, 28 November 2013

--

Today's Question:

Ever since I saw the Romeo & Juliet movie with Leonard Whiting & Olivia Hussey I was in love with Shakespeare.

Bonus Question:

Not hosting or being a guest. This is a transitional year with lots of health issues and home issues going on.

Foodie Questions:

Prime Rib and Yorkshire Pudding for Christmas dinner. Everyone looks forward to it all year.

I sometimes wonder how _______the government___________ works.

Today in History:
--

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Thanksgiving Day
French Toast Day
Independence Day

Today's Picture:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics