Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:18 PM

21,562 posts, read 8,741,665 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, February 2, 2014. It’s Superbowl Sunday! I’m not a football fan, so none of the questions today will be sports-related. (Whew!)

Today’s Questions:
Please tell us about a historic place that you have visited. What was it about this place that made it so memorable for you?

Bonus Question:
Have you ever experienced any type of rationing or shortage, either mandatory or voluntary? Money doesn’t count! If not, have older family members told you stories about the hard times they lived through? Give details if you’d like.

Just for Fun:
Do you know someone who is a chatterbox, the type who never lets you get a word in edgewise and hasn’t got a clue that he or she is annoying you? What strategies do you use to cope with this person?

Today in History
1653 – New Amsterdam (later renamed New York) becomes a city.
1709 – British sailor Alexander Selkirk is rescued after five years on a desert island. His story inspires Daniel Defoe to write Robinson Crusoe.
1802 – First leopard exhibited in the U.S. Admission: 25 cents.
1811 – Russian settlers establish Fort Ross, north of San Francisco.
1823 – Rossini’s opera Semiramide premieres in Venice.
1848 – Treaty of Guadaluipe Hidalgo ends Mexican War; U.S. acquires Texas, California, New Mexico and Arizona for $15 million.
1852 – First British public men’s toilet opens in Fleet Street, London.
1882 – James Joyce, Irish novelist and poet born (Finnegan’s Wake, Ulysses, The Dubliners).
1892 – Bottle cap with cork seal patented by William Painter in Baltimore, MD.
1893 – Thomas Edison films the first movie close up, of a sneeze, in West Orange, NJ.
1913 – New York City’s Grand Central Station opens.
1932 – Al Capone sent to prison in Atlanta, Georgia.
1943 – German Sixth Army surrenders following the Battle of Stalingrad.
1933 – Two days after becoming chancellor, Adolf Hitler dissolves Parliament.
1940 – Frank Sinatra’s singing debut in Indianapolis with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.
1944 – Allied troops first set foot on Japanese soil.
1948 – U.S. President Harry S Truman urges Congress to adopt a civil rights program.

Today’s Word:
voluble \VOL-yuh -buhl\ Adjective
Speaking incessantly or fluently.
Example: “As Mr. Barroso, a voluble sort, talked about strong transatlantic relations and the like, Mr. Obama gazed stony-faced at his shoes.” A Surfeit of Leaders; The Economist (London, U.K.) April 8, 2009

Today Is:
Groundhog Day
Candlemas
Crepe Day
National Girls and Women in Sports Day
Ayn Rand Day
Dump Your Significant Jerk Day

Quote of the Day:
“My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.” – Billy Connolly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 11:20 PM

44,647 posts, read 61,684,084 times
Today’s Questions:
Please tell us about a historic place that you have visited. What was it about this place that made it so memorable for you? Oh there are so many, from the Alamo to the Great Wall of China, they all have some historical meaning and interesting facts. It's fascinating to see how people lived in the past.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever experienced any type of rationing or shortage, either mandatory or voluntary? Money doesn’t count! If not, have older family members told you stories about the hard times they lived through? Give details if you’d like. World War 2 we had gasoline and bread rations.

Just for Fun:
Do you know someone who is a chatterbox, the type who never lets you get a word in edgewise and hasn’t got a clue that he or she is annoying you? Chatteress, but she's not annoying. What strategies do you use to cope with this person? We have a neighbor like that, we just tell her we gotta go, have an appointment or something like that.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:22 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,491,234 times
Today’s Questions:
Please tell us about a historic place that you have visited. What was it about this place that made it so memorable for you?Pompeii was pretty special - seeing what life was like in that part of the world 2,000 years ago, walking along the actual streets and standing in the actual rooms the people lived in. Amazing.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever experienced any type of rationing or shortage, either mandatory or voluntary? Money doesn’t count! If not, have older family members told you stories about the hard times they lived through? Give details if you’d like.
When I was a little girl in England there was still some rationing resulting from WW2, even several years later, though I don't remember it. Here in Australia petrol (gas) has been rationed a few times over the years which may have been inconvenient for some, but not really for most. If your car number plate ended in an odd-number you could buy it on an odd-numbered day. Even number plate can buy on even-number day. We also have water rationing quite frequently (depending on rainfall in the area you live) - no sprinkler watering of gardens, no hand washing of cars at home. The extent of the restrictions depend on the severity of the drought. Most people here use water as sparingly as possible - it has become a habit.

Just for Fun:
Do you know someone who is a chatterbox, the type who never lets you get a word in edgewise and hasn’t got a clue that he or she is annoying you? What strategies do you use to cope with this person? My ex-mother-in law was the worst - she could not only talk 19-to-the-dozen but would also change subjects without taking a breath. Fortunately she never seemed to notice that I was nodding and uh-huh-ing but really off in my own little world.

Thanks Bay4.

Have a great Sunday.

Last edited by Kobber; 02-01-2014 at 11:42 PM..

Old 02-01-2014, 11:23 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,892,576 times
Default Question of the Day for Sunday, February 2, 2014
Welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, February 2, 2014. It’s Superbowl Sunday! I’m not a football fan, so none of the questions today will be sports-related. (Whew!)

Today’s Questions:
Please tell us about a historic place that you have visited. What was it about this place that made it so memorable for you?
The Alamo and it's sister missions. History!

Bonus Question:
Just the short term gas rationing or shortages. Real or man-made!

Just for Fun:
Do you know someone who is a chatterbox, the type who never lets you get a word in edgewise and hasn’t got a clue that he or she is annoying you? What strategies do you use to cope with this person?
Yes, she's a regular poster in the QOTD!

Today in History
1709 – British sailor Alexander Selkirk is rescued after five years on a desert island. His story inspires Daniel Defoe to write Robinson Crusoe.
1848 – Treaty of Guadaluipe Hidalgo ends Mexican War; U.S. acquires Texas, California, New Mexico and Arizona for $15 million. They got it back for free..
1882 – James Joyce, Irish novelist and poet born (Finnegan’s Wake, Ulysses, The Dubliners).
1893 – Thomas Edison films the first movie close up, of a sneeze, in West Orange, NJ.
1940 – Frank Sinatra’s singing debut in Indianapolis with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.
1948 – U.S. President Harry S Truman urges Congress to adopt a civil rights program.

Today’s Word:
Example: “As Mr. Barroso, a voluble sort, talked about strong transatlantic relations and the like, Mr. Obama gazed stony-faced at his shoes.” A Surfeit of Leaders; The Economist (London, U.K.) April 8, 2009

Today Is:
Groundhog Day
Candlemas
Crepe Day
Ayn Rand Day

Quote of the Day:
“My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.” – Billy Conally

Thanks BA4!

Last edited by SATX56; 02-01-2014 at 11:37 PM..

Old 02-01-2014, 11:23 PM

44,374 posts, read 20,088,633 times
Today’s Questions:
Please tell us about a historic place that you have visited. What was it about this place that made it so memorable for you? In October of 2012, I visited the Cahokia Indian Mounds in southern Illinois. It was fascinating! Excellent museum, and the mounds were huge. There was also a giant pyramid built by Native Americans. The Cahokia civilization was at its peak around AD 1250. We climbed to the top of the pyramid and could see the St. Louis skyline from the top. Way cool! Cahokia Mounds | Explore

Bonus Question:
Have you ever experienced any type of rationing or shortage, either mandatory or voluntary? Money doesn’t count! If not, have older family members told you stories about the hard times they lived through? Give details if you’d like. I remember the gasoline rationing in the mid 1970s. My parents lived through the Great Depression and WWII, and experienced rationing of many things.

Just for Fun:
Do you know someone who is a chatterbox, the type who never lets you get a word in edgewise and hasn’t got a clue that he or she is annoying you? What strategies do you use to cope with this person? Yes, I have one friend who rarely seems to stop for a breath. It's almost impossible to get a word in. I have yet to come up with a kind way to tell her to take a break now and then so that others can talk instead of just listening to her.

Today’s Word:
Yep, that described my friend.

Today Is:
Groundhog Day Whether he sees his shadow or not, we're in for a lot more winter weather before we get a break. We had another significant snowfall on Saturday and another is on the way. Plus, we're headed back to single-digit temps.
Candlemas Okay.
Crepe Day The fabric or the food? I love to eat crepes.
Ayn Rand Day I read a few of her books, many years ago.
Dump Your Significant Jerk Day My significant other is not a jerk, so I'll keep him.

Quote of the Day:
“My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.” – Billy Connolly Hahaha - That's a good one. And yes, when I listen to the overture, I can't help but think of the Lone Ranger once of twice.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-01-2014 at 11:36 PM..

Old 02-01-2014, 11:45 PM

21,562 posts, read 8,741,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Crepe Day The fabric or the food? I love to eat crepes.
I think it's the food. There's a fabric called that, but it doesn't taste very good.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:50 PM

44,647 posts, read 61,684,084 times
Crepe Day, lol, I misread it. I was planning to spend the day in the bathroom...

Old 02-01-2014, 11:58 PM

61,840 posts, read 87,314,674 times
Question of the Day for Sunday, February 2, 2014

Today’s Questions:
Hard to say. Visited many...

Bonus Question:

Lived in a communistic Poland AND during a (1 1/2 year) martial law. So, go figure...
I don't think most Americans can't even fathom that kind of life. That's probably why I can't understand the wasteful ways most people live here.

Just for Fun:
Ignore and steer away from people like that!

Today in History
1848 – Treaty of Guadaluipe Hidalgo ends Mexican War; U.S. acquires Texas, California, New Mexico and Arizona for $15 million.

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Groundhog Day
Candlemas
Crepe Day
Ayn Rand Day

Quote of the Day:
“My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.” – Billy Connolly hahaha

Have a wonderful Sunday!!

Last edited by elnina; 02-02-2014 at 12:26 AM..

Old 02-02-2014, 12:18 AM

30,568 posts, read 16,259,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

Thank you!

Today’s Questions:
Old Fort Niagara. Just has a special feeling. Might be the ghost in the well.

Bonus Question:
yea- gas in the early 70s. I don't remember it being rationed to consumers but gas stations only got so much. I pulled into a station in my little green VW bug. Another driver pulled in the station at the same time-also in a VW bug. Nice person that I was, I let him go 1st. (Only one pump-not unusual back then). Well nice people finish last-he took the last of the gas. Station guy turned off the pump, locked the door, looked at me and shrugged. I did make it to another station without running out of gas. Ya gotta love the ol' VDubbies.

Just for Fun:
If it's just the 2 of us, I tell them. Only way they're gonna know.

Today in History

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Groundhog Day
Candlemas
Crepe Day
Ayn Rand Day

Quote of the Day:
“My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.” – Billy Connolly
well, golly gee wiz, I am not an intellectual. Whoda thunk it.

Thanks, BA4.
My definition of a super bowl is one with lots and lots of chocolate ice cream in it.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:40 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,312,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

Today’s Questions:
Please tell us about a historic place that you have visited. What was it about this place that made it so memorable for you? Hmm. Well, I consider New Orleans itself a historic city. But I am always in awe of St. Louis Cathedral because of it's beauty and it's unique history.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever experienced any type of rationing or shortage, either mandatory or voluntary? Money doesn’t count! If not, have older family members told you stories about the hard times they lived through? Give details if you’d like. I don't think my parents had much hardship, although life was certainly simple for them before I came along. They were European immigrants and they owned a small dairy farm which supported them through the Depression. I, myself, went through hard financial times with my first husband, largely because he was irresponsible.

Just for Fun:
Do you know someone who is a chatterbox, the type who never lets you get a word in edgewise and hasn’t got a clue that he or she is annoying you? What strategies do you use to cope with this person? I don't know about chattering, but I have a couple of friends who habitually talk right over you. You start to say something or trying to ask a question and they cut you off. Sometimes I tell them, "Well, going to what I was saying . . .", but even that doesn't work so well with one of them. Poor listeners. And I'll admit, sometimes it irks the hell out of me

Enjoy our Super Day. Go Seahawks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics