Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:30 AM

21,555 posts, read 8,737,989 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, February 16, 2014. I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend despite the crazy weather we’ve been having in some parts of the world.

Today’s Questions:
If money were no object, would you move somewhere else?

Where would you like to live, and why?

If you are happy where you are living now, where would you like to have a second home, such as a pied à terre in the city, a cottage by the lake or a cabin in the woods? Again, money is no object.

What will you do for enjoyment when you visit your second home?

Bonus Questions:
What is your favorite position to sleep in?

Do you like a hard, medium or soft pillow (or do you have no preference)?

Do you have any bedtime rituals?

Just for Fun:
What made you feel grouchy today? (Come on, now, spill. There must have been something!)

Today in History
600 – Pope Gregory the Great decrees saying “God bless you” is the correct response to a sneeze.
1659 – First known check in the amount of £400 (now on display at Westminster Abbey).
1677 – Earl of Shaftesbury arrested and confined in the Tower of London.
1751 – First publication of Gray’s “Elegy Written in a Country Church Yard.”
1804 – Lt. Stephen Decatur raids Tripoli Harbor and burns Navy frigate “Philadelphia” after pirates seize it.
1838 – Kentucky passes law permitting women to attend school under certain conditions.
1848 – American Charles Wilkes discovers Shackleton Ice Shelf, Antarctica.
1857 – Gallaudet College, a national college for deaf-mutes, forms in Washington, D.C.
1859 – French government passes a law setting the musical note A above middle C to a frequency of 435 Hz, an attempt to standardize the pitch.
1868 – Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks forms.
1878 – Silver dollar becomes U.S. legal tender
1883 – “Ladies Home Journal” begins publishing.
1892 – Jules Massenet’s opera “Werther,” based on a novel by Goethe, premieres in Vienna.
1914 – First airplane flight from Los Angeles to San Francisco.
1923 – Howard Carter finds the tomb of Pharaoh Tutankhamen.
1937 – DuPont Corp. patents nylon.
1942 – German submarines attack Aruba oil refinery.
1945 – US forces land on Corregidor.
1950 – Longest-running prime-time TV game show, “What’s My Line,” premieres on CBS.
1959 – Fidel Castro names himself Cuba’s premier after overthrowing President Fulgencio Batista.
1960 – US nuclear submarine USS Triton sets off on underwater round-the-world voyage.
1961 – China uses its first nuclear reactor.
1964 – Beatles’ second appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show
1968 – George Harrison, John Lennon and their wives fly to India to study with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.
1980 – Continuous traffic jam extends 176 km (109.3 mi) north of Lyons, France.
1991 – Figure skater Tonya Harding wins US Ladies’ Championship.
1999 - O. J. Simpson’s 1968 Heisman trophy sold for $230,000 to help settle a $33.5 million civil judgment against him in the deaths of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman.
2005 – The Kyoto Protocol, an environmental treaty among industrialized nations to reduce greenhouse gases, comes into effect after its signing by Russia.

Today’s Word:
lorn \LORN\ Adjective
: desolate, forsaken.

Example: "It's a bit unsettling here seeing slides, climbing structures, and the like lost in lone, lorn decay." - from a photography exhibit review by Mark Feeney in The Boston Globe, December 2, 2011.

Today Is:
Kyoto Protocol Day
Do a Grouch a Favor Day
National Almond Day
Daytona Pole Day

Quote of the Day:
“Dare to love yourself as if you were a rainbow with gold at both ends.”
Aberjhani, The River of Winged Dreams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 12:38 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,882,460 times
Default Question of the Day for Sunday, February 16, 2014
Welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, February 16, 2014. I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend despite the crazy weather we’ve been having in some parts of the world.

Today’s Questions:

If you are happy where you are living now, where would you like to have a second home, such as a pied à terre in the city, a cottage by the lake or a cabin in the woods? Again, money is no object.

Bonus Questions:
Varies from time to time.

Yep ! Jump in bed and close my eyes. Hope for the best!
Just for Fun:
What made you feel grouchy today? (Come on, now, spill. There must have been something!)
Wife and everyone else!

Today in History
600 – Pope Gregory the Great decrees saying “God bless you” is the correct response to a sneeze.
1659 – First known check in the amount of £400 (now on display at Westminster Abbey).
1804 – Lt. Stephen Decatur raids Tripoli Harbor and burns Navy frigate “Philadelphia” after pirates seize it.
1838 – Kentucky passes law permitting women to attend school under certain conditions.
1857 – Gallaudet College, a national college for deaf-mutes, forms in Washington, D.C.
1859 – French government passes a law setting the musical note A above middle C to a frequency of 435 Hz, an attempt to standardize the pitch.
1892 – Jules Massenet’s opera “Werther,” based on a novel by Goethe, premieres in Vienna.
1950 – Longest-running prime-time TV game show, “What’s My Line,” premieres on CBS.
1959 – Fidel Castro names himself Cuba’s premier after overthrowing President Fulgencio Batista.
1960 – US nuclear submarine USS Triton sets off on underwater round-the-world voyage.
1968 – George Harrison, John Lennon and their wives fly to India to study with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.
1999 - O. J. Simpson’s 1968 Heisman trophy sold for $230,000 to help settle a $33.5 million civil judgment against him in the deaths of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman.
2005 – The Kyoto Protocol, an environmental treaty among industrialized nations to reduce greenhouse gases, comes into effect after its signing by Russia.

Today’s Word:
lorn \LORN\ Adjective

Example: "It's a bit unsettling here seeing slides, climbing structures, and the like lost in lone, lorn decay." - from a photography exhibit review by Mark Feeney in The Boston Globe, December 2, 2011.

Today Is:
Kyoto Protocol Day
Do a Grouch a Favor Day
National Almond Day
Daytona Pole Day

Quote of the Day:
Thanks BA 4!

Last edited by SATX56; 02-16-2014 at 12:48 AM..

Old 02-16-2014, 12:51 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,143,318 times
~ Hello there. Somebody bet on the bay!

~ Yes! In two shakes of a lamb's tail!

~ Georgia. I love Georgia for many reasons. It is a good location for my lifestyle and for my love of natural sciences. Runner ups: rural Texas, western North Carolina mountains, outskirts of Greenville, South Carolina and upstate New York, in Phoenicia (Catskill mountains).

If you are happy where you are living now, where would you like to have a second home?

~ I just told you, you dummy. ..................

~ Sitting her, on City-Data with you!

~ Skipping saying other naughtier things, I will say: however I can fit between my cats
because we sleep together.

~ Thin pillow so that my head and neck are well aligned. But I like many pillows.

~ Just go get in bed, call the kitties and go to sleep.

~ ? Absolutely nothing. Sounds to me like you should do the bean spilling.

~ Thank you, dear Bay. That was fun, now I can think about the pancakes that I will make this morning. Then, later today, I will go to market like the pig did and get some pleasant victuals to cook up. I ate so much Chinese buffet yesterday that I couldn't think about food until this morning.

Happy Sunday to you all! I wish you the best, with extras!

Last edited by rainroosty; 02-16-2014 at 01:31 AM..

Old 02-16-2014, 01:01 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,490,646 times
Today’s Questions:
If money were no object, would you move somewhere else? Probably, though I'm happy where I'm living now!

Where would you like to live, and why? Ideally I'd like to move back to Sydney. I moved to this country town because I wanted to retire. With real estate prices in Sydney I couldn't afford to live there AND retire. Up here I can own a home and be retired.

If you are happy where you are living now, where would you like to have a second home, such as a pied à terre in the city, a cottage by the lake or a cabin in the woods? Again, money is no object. Money no object, I'll keep this house, buy a swish apartment close to the harbour in Sydney, and I'll be greedy and also buy an apartment in Manhattan.

What will you do for enjoyment when you visit your second home? I'll go to Sydney when I get cabin fever in my sleepy country town, to catch up with friends and get some decent night life!

Bonus Questions:
What is your favorite position to sleep in? On my side with one arm hanging down outside the bed.

Do you like a hard, medium or soft pillow (or do you have no preference)? I like a flattish pillow - if it's too 'boofy' I get neck ache.

Do you have any bedtime rituals? Sort of. I don't go to bed until I'm really, really tired. Put the telly on when I get in, turn it off less than 5 minutes later (doesn't matter how good the program is, TV makes me sleepy). And then it's morning.

Just for Fun:
The genealogy site I was working with today kept crashing... grrrrrrr.

Thanks Bay4!

Happy Sunday to all.

Last edited by Kobber; 02-16-2014 at 01:23 AM..

Old 02-16-2014, 01:33 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,143,318 times
^^^ I thought you said a flatfish pillow. Like a flounder.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:45 AM

30,555 posts, read 16,251,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

Today’s Questions:

doubtful

here because I'm too lazy to move again. I am sooo sick of moving.

I used to but not any more. Live where you want to be and there you are.

Bonus Questions:
Usually on my back.

hard. My fat head, er I mean large brain smooshes a soft one to nothing.

not really

Just for Fun:
well, since it's only 3:30 in the morning, nothing. Yet. But wait for it: grouchy will happen.

Today’s Word:
lorn \LORN\ Adjective

Today Is:
Kyoto Protocol Day
Do a Grouch a Favor Day
National Almond Day
Daytona Pole Day

Quote of the Day:
Busy day in history. Whatever happened to Alaskan Mutt anyway?
Thanks, BA4.

Have a great day, everyone. And if you're grouchy, someone just may do you a favor!

Old 02-16-2014, 02:02 AM

21,555 posts, read 8,737,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Whatever happened to Alaskan Mutt anyway?
Good question! He hasn't been here since January 7th. I miss him!

And Roosty .... "somebody bet on the bay?" You're too funny!

Old 02-16-2014, 02:36 AM

61,795 posts, read 87,269,132 times

Crazy hot here in Texas, again....

Today’s Questions:
On the spot!

Overseas. Quality of life.

Small, secluded house directly on the beach, perhaps...

Seclusion. I am tired of people...

Bonus Questions:
On the right site.

Very hard and very flat. Down, no "plastic".

Sure: change clothes, slip under the covers, read 10-15 minutes, turn off the light, close my eyes and fall asleep...

Just for Fun:
Nothing really. And being a single AND living by myself helps to feel sane, and happy, everyday!

Today in History (wow!! many things happen today in history!)

Today’s Word:
lorn \LORN\ Adjective

Today Is:
Kyoto Protocol Day
Do a Grouch a Favor Day ( I think, Da Grouch is married - so , only with permission of his wife )
National Almond Day
Daytona Pole Day

Quote of the Day:

Happy Sunday, everyone.
Thank you for the questions, Bayarea!!

Last edited by elnina; 02-16-2014 at 02:56 AM..

Old 02-16-2014, 03:17 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,493,391 times
Today’s Questions:
If money were no object, would you move somewhere else? I would stay in the same area I live in now.

Where would you like to live, and why? I love where I live and have never been anyplace I would rather be. I would love to have the money to buy a custom made home here.

If you are happy where you are living now, where would you like to have a second home, such as a pied à terre in the city, a cottage by the lake or a cabin in the woods? Again, money is no object. I would like to have a beautiful home in Tuscany, Italy overlooking everything.

What will you do for enjoyment when you visit your second home? Mostly relax, but also taste the local cuisine and meet people.

Bonus Questions:
What is your favorite position to sleep in? On my back sitting up about halfway.

Do you like a hard, medium or soft pillow (or do you have no preference)? Medium.

Do you have any bedtime rituals? When I start feeling tired I use the restroom, turn the lights off, cover up with my favorite blanket and watch tv until I fall asleep.

Just for Fun:
What made you feel grouchy today? (Come on, now, spill. There must have been something!) Actually I wasn't grouch at all today.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:03 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,257,036 times
Welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, February 16, 2014. I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend despite the crazy weather we’ve been having in some parts of the world. Just crappy weather here, its barely winter at all . Although of course I'm glad we're not getting the crazy weather!

Today’s Questions:
If money were no object, would you move somewhere else? Well I'd move to a bigger house for sure but I doubt I'd move out of this town. I like it.

Where would you like to live, and why? Just possibly I'd move back to Tampere as its a better place for an English-speaker to live but still, unlikely

If you are happy where you are living now, where would you like to have a second home, such as a pied à terre in the city, a cottage by the lake or a cabin in the woods? Again, money is no object. I'd have the traditional mökki (cottage) by the lake - something like this http://www.kontio.fi/mallisto/esitte..._mss_kuva3.jpg

What will you do for enjoyment when you visit your second home? Fish, pick berries, go to sauna and then swim in the lake straight from the sauna. Just relax and spend time in nature

Bonus Questions:
What is your favorite position to sleep in? On my side with my leg and arm resting on my body pillow

Do you like a hard, medium or soft pillow (or do you have no preference)? Softish. And a body pillow too. Before I got the body pillow I had to have one pillow between my knees and one pillow to hug!

Do you have any bedtime rituals? Not really

Just for Fun:
What made you feel grouchy today? (Come on, now, spill. There must have been something!) Waking up after not enough sleep and not being able to fall back asleep again cos my toddler was awake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics