Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 04:01 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times

Advertisements

Fryday Questions ~ Mott the Hoople ~ 5/30/'14
~ What places that are located in mountainous areas do you love?
I like just about anywhere in the mountains. I have camped several tmes in the mountains of Western Montana.

~ Have you ever had a good breakfast somewhere in a little rural town?
One of the great things about traveling on the old secondary highways is that you pass thru many little towns. Most of these towns do not have fast food joints. So, you are stuck having to eat at these dingy, old, beat-up looking diners. Which...have the greatest meals.

~ Have you ever had trout, pork chop or biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast?
If I am staying at a hotel that offers free breakfast and they have biscuits and gravy, I could care less if there is nothing else on the menu. Many times while camping I have had fresh caugh trout for breakfast.

~ Do you prefer a big fork or a smaller fork?
Big fork

~ What waterfalls have you seen - where were they?
I have seen the waterfalls in Yellowstone Park. I have also seen many smaller waterfalls thru out the west.

~ Any roadside stops that you have made that you remember with good thoughts?
Once during a roadtrip, purely by accident (had not given any thought as to what I was going to see) I found myself on a road going thru the Redwoods in Northern CA. Made several stops that day.

During a roadtrip I stopped at this really neat looking rest stop along I-70 in Eastern Utah. There was no one else there. The weather was perfect. So I decided to make a picnic lunch. I got all of my lunch makings out and started making lunch. About that time a van pulled up and parked next to me. The driver got out and opened the sliding door. Out got 7 or 8 people, all sporting leg irons and handcuffs. It was a prisoner transport. Needless to say I did not stick around to see just how well behaved they were going to be.

~ Did you ever eat 'sliders', or those mini burgers?
I have choked down one or two or way more sliders in my time.

~ Have you ever helped a creature get across the road?
Actually get out and help it across thr road...no. I have stopped and waited while the animal crossed the road.

~ Would you enjoy taking a little hike, camera in hand, in the Blue Ridge/Smoky mountains?
That would be ok. Would rather be in the Rockies.

~ Have you ever visited a field near the woods?
When traveling on the back roads many times I have pulled off into a clearing and stopped for a picnic lunch.

~ The steepest road you have ever traveled on?
The road leading from the shopping center to I-5 by SeaTac airport. Only a block long but something like a 12 percent grade.

~ Please list some of the mammals that you have seen while driving:
Bears, wolves, moose, caribou, fox, squirrels, rabbits, people, whales, cows, horses, dogs, cats...and the list goes on.

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 05-30-2014 at 04:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 04:06 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
~ What places that are located in mountainous areas do you love? Forests of the Ozarks, Smokys, and Adirondacks.

~ Have you ever had a good breakfast somewhere in a little rural town? Definitely. Case in point, small town in Kentucky with the usual, eggs, bacon, and toast in a small cafe.

~ Have you ever had trout, pork chop or biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast? Don't think so. Biscuits, hold the gravy.

~ Do you prefer a big fork or a smaller fork? I prefer a fork that gets food to my mouth, unless it's soup. Then I prefer a spoon.

Not all that many come to think of it. Mostly small random rapids or what not. But did see Ausable Chasm once. --> Ausable Chasm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

~ Any roadside stops that you have made that you remember with good thoughts? Many. Once in the Ozarks as kids we were allowed to choose our very own souvenir rock. Excitement! Mine was a dark red with some white quartz looking in it. Try getting that past today's kids. Okay I was 3 at the time tho.

~ Did you ever eat 'sliders', or those mini burgers? Nope, but I'd try beef or turkey sliders. I saw a recipe for sliders that uses slices of sweet potatoes instead of buns.

~ Have you ever helped a creature get across the road? Yes, I've blocked traffic with my vehicle for ducks and geese more than once. I've stopped and picked up a turtle - different time - and carried it to the edge of the woods. It tried to pee on me, but I was ready for it and held it out to one side.

~ Would you enjoy taking a little hike, camera in hand, in the Blue Ridge/Smoky mountains? Who wouldn't?

~ Have you ever visited a field near the woods? Yes, once to deliver a turtle.

~ The steepest road you have ever traveled on? Hard to say, because many. Probably Rockies. Younger mountain chain than the Appalachians.

Deer, wabbits, possums, deer, cats, dogs, deer, buffalo where they roam and the deer eat cantaloupe all day.

TGIF!

Old 05-30-2014, 04:39 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times

Union Valley, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Crater lake many more...
I'm sure I have, can't remember.

~ Have you ever had trout, pork chop or biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast?
Never trout or pork chops for breakfast.

It doesn't matter

Yosemite, Bridal Veil Falls (no.Cali), Burney Falls, (way no. Cali)
All the stops made with family while traveling in the mountains.

Had some at Chilis, they were good.

A big turtle, out front of my house on the road..

~ Would you enjoy taking a little hike, camera in hand, in the Blue Ridge/Smoky mountains?
I would

There was a big meadow at our house in Fall River Mills

Cows, cats, dogs, deer, goats, llama, horses

Thanks Rainy
***** Happy Fryday, good folks of our group! May it bring you an increase in happiness and well being!

Old 05-30-2014, 05:10 AM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times
~ What places that are located in mountainous areas do you love? My favorite are of course the Alps,the hiking area,ski areas,villages at higher altitude,meadows,the Matterhorn,Dolomiten area,Kärnten/Austria and here our Canadian Rockies and Whistler/BC the ski area

~ Have you ever had a good breakfast somewhere in a little rural town? long ago somewhere outside Quebec and couple of years ago in Cape Breton/NS

~ Have you ever had trout, pork chop or biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast? Nope

~ Do you prefer a big fork or a smaller fork? big fork for dinner and little fork for cake

~ What waterfalls have you seen - where were they? the most recent waterfall was in the Canadian Rockies called Takanawa Falls Waterfalls in the Canadian Rockies : Field, British Columbia

~ Any roadside stops that you have made that you remember with good thoughts? Mostly I have good thought about my road trips,for I travel towards the mountain area or lake area..just love to be out in Nature,walking barefoot on the beach,watch at dawn at the beach the sun come up or at dusk the moon shine bright over the waves of the ocean or lake. When hiking in the mountains to see nature in its beauty,raven or eagles flying high,seeing mountain goats climbing on rocks,the smell of pine trees......

~ Have you ever helped a creature get across the road? when my kids were small we used to pick up little snails from the sidewalk and lay them safely on the grass or little turtles or frogs....

~ Would you enjoy taking a little hike, camera in hand, in the Blue Ridge/Smoky mountains? I am not familiar with that area,but if it is a park,than I would love to go for a hike...but I never take a camera with me out in Nature..prefer to take the beautiful view in just with my eyes and cherish the moment to the fullest

~ Have you ever visited a field near the woods? yes many times in my childhood

~ The steepest road you have ever traveled on? must have been couple of years ago in India when we traveled with a Jeep up to Shimla mountain..it was so steep and scary and cars are not as maintained as here...they run if they ran..if they break they break...they drive like maniacs there

~ Please list some of the mammals that you have seen while driving: cattle,horses.sheep,wild buffalo and wild dogs in India,turtles,wild prey, fox,coyote,rabbit .....

***** Happy Fryday, good folks of our group! May it bring you an increase in happiness and well being! Thank you roosty for all the great questions and to all here enjoy your weekend with family,friends or just take a moment out of your life and take a walk and find inner peace

Old 05-30-2014, 05:52 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
What places that are located in mountainous areas do you love?

White Mountains - New Hampshire, Great Smoky Mountains - Tennessee and North Carolina, Wasatch Range - Utah

I usually skip breakfast when I travel because to see more bird activity, you have to be out there at sun up.

I've had biscuits and gravy in Texas while traveling on business.

Big

I've seen a lot of them in NY, TN, MI, NC - Not a big fan.

None that stand out.

Yes. Have some White Castle ones in my freezer.

I once saw a very large turtle on the side of the road about to cross but there was no way I could pick him up and good thing, too, because they snap.

Can't do a hike however you can see a lot from your car with pullovers.

Frequently

I'm going to go with this bus tour in the mountains in Colorado. I was afraid to look out the window

people, deer, skunk, cows, horses, donkeys, squirrels, cats, dogs, chipmunks, mice

Old 05-30-2014, 06:45 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,387 times

The areas where trees make a circle
Yes

Yes, it was amazing!

Big fork always1

Niagara Falls - Kingston Mills Falls, both in Ontario Canada

Haven't made any recently!

Haven't in six years Last time I did I ate 10 of them!

During the dead of winter I helped a cat get across a regional road!

I'm up for anything.

Yes!
A road diverting nearly straight down a hill!

squirrels, rats, cats

Old 05-30-2014, 06:47 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times
What places that are located in mountainous areas do you love?
Jonesborough, TN, where I hope to move someday. In the Smokies

To many to count. During my working days I was on the road 2 or 3 nights a week, I sought out the little places.

Almost every Sunday I go to my local family restaurant and have a biscuit & gravy skillet. Fried potatoes, biscuits. gravy and 2 eggs. Now I'm hungry

BIG

Don't know names but there were several in TN. I've also seen some in NH, and NY including Niagara

There was a small restaurant, somewhere in Ohio, that served the best Hot Beef sandwich I have ever had. I would drive there today for another one, If I could remember the name of the town.

I've been a slider fan since they were 6 for $0.25. Haven't had one since Wed. There is a White Castle about 2 miles from here.

Not by actually leading them but I have made sure traffic behind me couldn't get by while they crosses

I have done it and would love to do it again if I could handle the hike.

Yes

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, motorcycle and sport car two lane tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, and Six Gap North Georgia.

People, racoon, deer, moose,

***** Happy Fryday, good folks of our group! May it bring you an increase in happiness and well being!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvFp...5JGt5cF5lXEZc9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjdPRuJN818

Old 05-30-2014, 07:14 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
There are mountains all around us here, but I love to go to the Biltmore House in Asheville, NC.....it's just gorgeous

Yes I have, at a little place in Cherokee, NC

no trout but I have had pork chops and biscuits and gravy

big fork

There's lots of pretty waterfalls nearby further up in the mountains

Yes, years ago we stopped somewhere in the Tennessee mountains at a stream and got in and horsed around, it was a lot of fun

Yep

Yes I've helped turtles get across the road before

Yes and I wouldn't have far to go either

Yes I have

There's lots of steep roads in the mountains nearby

Mammals? Hmmmm......

Thanks Roosty!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:20 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
~ What places that are located in mountainous areas do you love? Places I've lived, New Paltz, NY. and Sedona, AZ. have great mountain views.

~ Have you ever had a good breakfast somewhere in a little rural town? Yes.

~ Have you ever had trout, pork chop or biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast? Have had biscuits with gray.

~ Do you prefer a big fork or a smaller fork? Depends on what I'm eating.

~ What waterfalls have you seen - where were they? High falls, low falls, and in my backyard when it rains.

~ Did you ever eat 'sliders', or those mini burgers? Yes, I like White Castle, the best.

~ Have you ever helped a creature get across the road? I just wait until they pass. The small mountain town of Oatman AZ has donkeys roaming the streets, sometimes the locals have to usher them out of traffic.

~ Would you enjoy taking a little hike, camera in hand, in the Blue Ridge/Smoky mountains? Yes.

~ Have you ever visited a field near the woods? Yes.

~ The steepest road you have ever traveled on? We were out on the ATV a few years ago, the trail was so steep I thought we were going to flip over.

~ Please list some of the mammals that you have seen while driving: Snakes, deer, skunks, a herd of javelina, a herd of elk, rabbits, coyotes, and raccoons.

Thanks Roosty, I hope all the young dudes, and dudettes have a great weekend.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:27 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,694,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
~ What places that are located in mountainous areas do you love?Rocky Mountains.

~ Have you ever had a good breakfast somewhere in a little rural town?Yes, many years ago in Savannah, Georgia.

~ Have you ever had trout, pork chop or biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast? No.

~ Do you prefer a big fork or a smaller fork?Big for certain things.

~ Did you ever eat 'sliders', or those mini burgers?Yes.

~ Have you ever helped a creature get across the road?No, but I have waited til it's crossed the road.

~ Have you ever visited a field near the woods? Yes.

~ The steepest road you have ever traveled on? I can't recall the name.

~ Please list some of the mammals that you have seen while driving: Deer, raccoon, ducks, opossum, cats, dogs, squirrels, chipmunks, groundhogs, horses, rabbits, snakes...

Happy Fryday, good folks of our group!May it bring you an increase in happiness and well being!
Thanks,roosty, same to you.

[/i]

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics