Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 07:22 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Having a hard time staying awake this morning!
Not me... at least not today

Today's Question(s):
Are you a sports fan?
Yes!

If so, which sports are your favorites?
Soccer, track and field, hokey, boxing, archery, ski jumping, tennis.

Are you paying attention to the World Cup?
Oh, yeah!

If so, which team are you rooting for?
Germany all the way!

Just for Fun:
In a gas station bathroom, I once saw a light switch next to the light fixture...on the ceiling! Have you ever seen anything odd, and/or useless, like that?
There might be a reason for that - to keep customers from switching it off.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1967 Monterey International Pop Festival rocks Southern California
Birthday: 1942 Roger Ebert, US Film Critic, journalist, screenwriter
Politics/Public Affairs: 1873 Susan B. Anthony fined $100 for attempting to vote for President
Pop Culture: 1898 1st amusement pier opens in Atlantic City, New Jersey
Science/Technology: 1178 5 Canterbury monks report explosion on moon (only known observation)/Proposed time of origin of lunar crater Giordano Bruno
Sports: 1990 1st ever loss for Cameroon in Soccer World Cup, U.S.S.R. - 4 Cameroon - 0
World:

Today’s Word:
pungle
Pronunciation: (PUNG-uhl)
Meaning: verb tr.: To make a payment; to shell out.
Etymology: Alteration of Spanish póngale (put it down), from poner (to put), from Latin ponere (to put). Ultimately from the Indo-European root apo- (off or away) that is also the source of after, off, awkward, post, puny, apposite, apropos, and dispositive.
Earliest documented use: 1851.

Today is:
International Sushi Day <<< yay!!
Go Fishing Day
International Panic Day
International Picnic Day
National Splurge Day

Quote of the Day:
"No good movie is too long and no bad movie is short enough." ~ Roger Ebert ~

Have a good day everyone!
Thanks PatsCats!!

Last edited by elnina; 06-18-2014 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 07:40 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Are you a sports fan? No.

If so, which sports are your favorites?

Are you paying attention to the World Cup? If so, which team are you rooting for? No.

Just for Fun:
In a gas station bathroom, I once saw a light switch next to the light fixture...on the ceiling! Have you ever seen anything odd, and/or useless, like that? There is an electrical outlet on my livingroom ceiling, the last owners had a projection screen TV.

Today is:
International Sushi Day
Go Fishing Day
International Panic Day
International Picnic Day
National Splurge Day

Quote of the Day:
"No good movie is too long and no bad movie is short enough." ~ Roger Ebert ~

Have a good day everyone!
Thank you, you too.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:42 AM

36,421 posts, read 16,032,420 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Are you a sports fan?

If so, which sports are your favorites? Nascar, NHRA drag racing, horse racing, pro football, some tennis.

Are you paying attention to the World Cup? If so, which team are you rooting for?
Not paying attention.

Just for Fun:
In a gas station bathroom, I once saw a light switch next to the light fixture...on the ceiling! Have you ever seen anything odd, and/or useless, like that
I just have a hard time with multiple switches for one light and how to get them all in the right position.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:43 AM

7,369 posts, read 5,483,693 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Are you a sports fan? no

If so, which sports are your favorites? I like to watch gymnastics once in awhile

Are you paying attention to the World Cup? NO If so, which team are you rooting for?

Just for Fun:
In a gas station bathroom, I once saw a light switch next to the light fixture...on the ceiling! Have you ever seen anything odd, and/or useless, like that? I was in a bathroom one time where the cold water came out of the hot water faucet and vice versa.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:01 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you a sports fan? - I'll be a good sport and say.. Not really..

If so, which sports are your favorites? - Not the ordinary common ones.. Marksmanship matches..

Are you paying attention to the World Cup? If so, which team are you rooting for? - Nah.. but I am paying attention to my Coffee Cup..

Just for Fun:
In a gas station bathroom, I once saw a light switch next to the light fixture...on the ceiling! Have you ever seen anything odd, and/or useless, like that? - Nothing other than.. a bunch of useless people sitting around doing nothing.. I think they're called.. politicians...

Old 06-18-2014, 08:08 AM

38,897 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you a sports fan? Not a huge fan.

If so, which sports are your favorites? However, I do like to watch tennis and some summer Olympics events.

Are you paying attention to the World Cup? If so, which team are you rooting for? No, I'm not paying attention to it.

Just for Fun:
In a gas station bathroom, I once saw a light switch next to the light fixture...on the ceiling! Have you ever seen anything odd, and/or useless, like that? I seem to recall being in an old house where the light switch for the room was in the next room, instead of in the room itself where the light was.

Guess what day it is? Have a great one!

Old 06-18-2014, 08:12 AM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Mornin' all!

Having a hard time staying awake this morning! Same here. I'm exhausted, and it's only Wednesday morning. < sigh > I've too many irons in the fire lately.

Today's Question(s):
Are you a sports fan? Sometimes.

If so, which sports are your favorites? Chicago Bears Football; Ice Hockey once in a while; most of the summer and winter Olympic games.

Are you paying attention to the World Cup? No. If so, which team are you rooting for? I'm not sure who's still in it. I'm only aware of it at all because Google has been using the World Cup as its theme the past several days. I think Brazil played yesterday. Ha.

Just for Fun:
In a gas station bathroom, I once saw a light switch next to the light fixture...on the ceiling! Have you ever seen anything odd, and/or useless, like that? Hmmmm. Nothing I can think of, though there has probably been something along the way. Funny about the light switch on the ceiling! I wonder if its purpose was making sure the lights are off when the business is not open. Perhaps the owner used an extension pole to turn the lights on and off.

Today’s Word:
pungle
Pronunciation: (PUNG-uhl)
Meaning: verb tr.: To make a payment; to shell out.
I've been pungling like crazy lately, paying medical bills that my insurer has denied.

Today is:
International Sushi Day For the most part, I don't like sushi. I've had it several times, and only once did I enjoy it. I don't like seaweed, so if the sushi is made with seaweed, count me out.
Go Fishing Day Wish I could. I love to fish!
International Panic Day
International Picnic Day Picnics are fun. Especially when a water balloon fight ensues.
National Splurge Day Though I could really go for a hot fudge sundae, there will be no splurging for me today.

Have a good day everyone! < < < What she said. Have a real happy one!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:15 AM

38,897 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If so, which sports are our favorites?
Soccer, track and field, hokey, boxing, archery, ski jumping, tennis.
I'm sure you meant "hockey" but "hokey" reminds me of this song:

Hokey Pokey - Kids song - YouTube

Old 06-18-2014, 08:19 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Today is:
International Sushi Day
Go Fishing Day
International Picnic Day
National Splurge Day

Great, I'll go fishing today, then cook.. or whatever they do to prepare sushi, take it to a picnic, then splurge..

Old 06-18-2014, 08:20 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,033,859 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you a sports fan? Oh yes!

If so, which sports are your favorites? Football most of all but I also like baseball and tennis.

Are you paying attention to the World Cup? If so, which team are you rooting for? No

Just for Fun:
In a gas station bathroom, I once saw a light switch next to the light fixture...on the ceiling! Have you ever seen anything odd, and/or useless, like that? Yes, I remember a drive through at a Taco Bell in San Angelo, TX that was odd. The drive up window was on the passenger's side of your vehicle. You had to reach all the way across the passenger's front seat in your car to get the food and give them the money or have someone in the passenger's seat do it. I can't imagine why they decided to design the drive through that way. It was crazy..lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics