Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 03:17 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times

Advertisements

I am all over the place on this one. For every argument I come up with against allowing dogs in restaurants I can come up with a counter argument saying they should be allowed. I guess I am against allowing dogs in restaurants. Mostly because most of my values are based from a time when taking a dog into the restaurant was not even considered and just like everything else there is a large number of people that would abuse the policy.

For the record I have no problem what so ever allowing seeing eye dogs in any place. These dogs are highly trained to be in public places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 09:58 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Saw it a lot in England. Their dogs were extremely well behaved. Better behaved than a lot of kids that are in restaurants.

Frankly I have no problem with it, except that the law doesn't permit it. It's the entitlement and arrogance that I don't like. The people who think that the rules don't apply to them. I don't blame the dogs.
I've seen it in Germany, England, France and a few other places. I'm talking white tablecloth restaurants. The dog sat quietly under the table while the pack leader ate. I don't have a problem with a well behaved dogs.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:49 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
People seem to think dogs are humans. This lady had the dog up in her lap at the bar as if it were a child.

Better a dog then a child?

Old 09-10-2014, 03:07 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Better a dog than my son when he was a toddler.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:22 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
There are all kinds of service dogs these days and, unless their "in training" they don't even have to be identified as such.

There have been two instances I'm aware of in just the last two weeks in which patrons with service dogs were asked to leave--a Subway, and a local Starbucks. Businesses are woefully uneducated with respect to the ADA. Service dogs are not required to wear a vest or I.D., and businesses are not allowed to inquire about the person's disability. They are allowed to ask if, in fact, the dog is a service dog, and what it does.

Whether or not people agree with it, that is the law as it currently stands. Business owners who fight it will always lose.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:19 AM

40 posts, read 44,779 times
I think bringing a dog, into a restaurant, is one of the most disgusting things ever and restaurants shouldn't allow it, just like the signs they put up saying NO SHOES, NO SHIRT, NO SERVICE. I know people who are allergic to dogs and cats.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:48 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I was at a NICE restaurant with a buddy and I looked up and saw a lady with a lap dog at the bar. I could not believe it. I told my buddy, had we been sitting over there i would have had an issue with that.

People seem to think dogs are humans. This lady had the dog up in her lap at the bar as if it were a child.

Please, don't try to justify this. I know some of you will.

In that situation, that is not acceptable, however according to ADA service dog regulations, any dog that is trained for a disability is allowed, it does NOT have a seeing eye dog. A good friend of mine was in the military and she has PSTD, high anxiety and a hearing loss. She has a service dog, it helps w/ her anxiety and will help her hear things that she might not hear.

Plus service dogs too for kids and adults that have seizures. There are SERVICE dogs for many different reasons.

So, to answer your question, yes more than just "SEEING EYE DOGS" should be allowed in restaurants.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:17 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Naturally this early in the scheme of things, most of us don't expect to see dogs in restaurants. But, unless you just don't care for dogs the presence of a well trained service dog shouldn't bother you. Personally, I'd just be jealous I didn't have my dog with me. I think there are and will be increasing number of walk up outdoor eateries, bars and such that allow dogs. It's a trend with all the new-age bicyclers and such. That happens to be one idea I'd like to see come to be.

Service dogs are a real contribution to society as a whole. If you don't happen to be a pet lover, I'm sure you can put up with a few minutes around a well trained dog. Live and let live it's not a big deal.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:41 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,629,357 times
I wish some kids would behave as well as trained dogs, but that another story. I think why many people, and restaurants too, are against dogs in restaurants is that they may jump upon a lap or table to grab some food, they may have fleas, they may bark at you or if another dog is around start a dog fight, or just loud barking at each other, some kid/others step on a tail accidently and gets bitten, law suits. Their can be many reasons, besides it's against the law most places unless it's a service dog.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:52 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
It's a brave new world. We are now being forced to accommodate a great many things. Dogs and restaurants aren't the best mix naturally. No doubt it can present many problems including possible lawsuits. I find putting up with the dogs around food a lot easier than many other things being forced upon us in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics