Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 09:00 PM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times

Advertisements

As a little girl I thought I was going to be an artist because I loved to draw and paint.

Later I wanted to be an English teacher because I love to read, and teachers were always my role models. I also briefly flirted with the idea of becoming a bassoonist or a newspaper reporter because I worked on the high school paper and played in the band and orchestra.

In college I majored in English but decided I didn't have the personality to be an English teacher, and so I decided to be a secretary because I already knew how to type.

When I was a secretary I was bored to death with it (and the low pay), but I didn't know what else I wanted to do.

Then I went to work for a TV station and decided that I wanted to be a studio technician. I went to school, got my FCC license, and 30 years later I'm retired from that job. It's something I would have never imagined myself doing when I was younger, but life can sometimes take you to places you never dreamed you'd go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 03:33 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Oh, let's see. When I was five or six, I wanted to be a ballerina. I'd been in a holiday production at school and loved twirling and prancing around in my little tutu.

A few years later, I was quite sure that I wanted to be an architect. I spent a great deal of time drawing floor plans. Pluming stacks? Roof vents? Who needs that stuff?

I'm pretty sure that I wanted to be a veterinarian one year.

By the time I was fourteen or fifteen, I had developed a love of cooking and dreamed of going to the Culinary Institute of America.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:18 PM

338 posts, read 421,236 times
I originally wanted to be a Ninja Turtle. Then a couple years later, a Power Ranger.

Then a cartoonist, even though the fanciest thing I can draw (still) is 2D layouts in Autocad. But it turned out I am hopeless with a pencil (so don't ask me to start copying the funnies or anything.)

Then, come high school, I decided that foodservice (i.e. the restaurant industry) would be PERFECT because, you know, I could make really good oatmeal, Kraft Dinner and Betty Crocker cakes. That I was going to go to Le Cordon Bleu at WCI then head off to New York and intern at the Four Seasons, become a five-star chef and take the world in my hands, bounce it about and play with it a bit. Boy, was I ever wrong. Survived one term at LCB (ran out of money) and didn't get any farther than five years in a dead-end line cook position at the local crappy bar-and-grill. That was when I basically went "eh, F this S all to H" and threw in the towel. My so-called "career" in foodservice had ended for good.

What can I say? Live and learn.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:26 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I always wanted to be an architect, stemming from my first box of Lego's. And thru the years, I've added 1000's and 1000's of pieces, and I now have my own "city" in my living room, with 40 floor-to-ceiling skyscrapers, and less-tall projects scattered here and there all over the house!

I recently built 2 swanky 40-story condo towers!

I'm 64, and you never-ever-ever outgrow Lego!

So glad I never became an architect, as architecture is the 2nd oldest profession! I've read some bio's of architects, and having to be within a set budget to build something, and no skyscrapers to design? Noooooo thanks!

I once knew an architect, relegated to a large architectural firm, to merely design freeway bridges!

Old 11-04-2014, 09:01 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I once knew an architect, relegated to a large architectural firm, to merely design freeway bridges!
That's depressing.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:11 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
I always wanted to be an architect, stemming from my first box of Lego's. And thru the years, I've added 1000's and 1000's of pieces, and I now have my own "city" in my living room, with 40 floor-to-ceiling skyscrapers, and less-tall projects scattered here and there all over the house!

I recently built 2 swanky 40-story condo towers!

I'm 64, and you never-ever-ever outgrow Lego!

So glad I never became an architect, as architecture is the 2nd oldest profession! I've read some bio's of architects, and having to be within a set budget to build something, and no skyscrapers to design? Noooooo thanks!
LOL! I have built the best buildings, ever, with lego.

Quote:
how disappointing, for him.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:31 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
I wanted to be almost EVERYTHING! An actress, journalist, doctor, scientist, psychologist, writer, artist, restaurant owner, veterinarian, college professor, airline stewardess, model, etc.

I NEVER wanted to be: anything else working w children, a nurse, a police man, fireman, astronaut, truck driver, etc

My fave "career aspiration" was wanting to be a waitress because I thought they were all pretty!

Old 11-06-2014, 03:45 PM

44,354 posts, read 20,059,784 times
All through elementary school, I wanted to be a biologist.

I'm a paralegal. Go figure.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:38 AM

9,086 posts, read 1,459,581 times
My dream was to be a veterinarian... However got stuck in nursing

Old 11-07-2014, 07:54 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I wanted to be a highly paid moderator on City Data website......... LOL
LOL.. with guys like me or Wit-nit.. I'd say they're gonna have to pay you a LOT...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics