Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:41 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,725 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone and welcome to Questions of the Day for Tuesday, January 13th 2015. Last week’s dental appointment went okay – healing well, but still eating mush! Thanks to everyone who sent good wishes – much appreciated. Nothing to report this week, so let’s get straight into the questions…

Today’s question:

Tell us a little about your first full-time job as an adult.

Extra credit question:

Have you ever –

Fallen asleep on public transit and missed your stop?

Been stuck in an elevator?

Had your car towed away (either because of a parking violation or because it broke down)

Driven or been a passenger in an 18-wheel (or similarly large) truck

Left something valuable or important in a taxi-cab?

Forgotten where you left your car in a parking lot?

Bonus question:

Today we’re going to work at the local tennis club for the day. Which of these roles best suit your skills and talents?

One of the players

Ball boy/girl

Umpire

Court maintenance crew

Linesman/lineswoman

Locker Room attendant

Just for fun:

How many telephone handsets do you have in your home (landline handsets plus cell phones)?

I have an extra question today: In yesterday’s QOTD cloven asked whether or not you like marzipan. I was astonished at how many Americans said they’d never tasted it. Since marzipan is traditionally used in wedding cakes in many other countries, what is the icing/covering of US wedding cakes traditionally made from?

Thought for the day:

If at first you don’t succeed, do it like your mother told you. (Author Unknown)

Today is
:
National Peach Melba Day
National Poetry at Work Day
National Rubber Ducky Day
Public Radio Broadcasting Day

Have a great day, everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 10:43 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times
Good morning everyone and welcome to Questions of the Day for Tuesday, January 13th 2015.
Today’s question:
N/A-never had one.

Extra credit question:
Have you ever –
No
Yes, in high school-though for less than 15 mins. and there was a functional emergency alert mechanism inside.
Had your car towed away (either because of a parking violation or because it broke down)
N/A-never owned a car.
Nope.
No.
Once while changing buses on a cross-country trip, I lost (misplaced/dropped) a package of embroidery thread, which was my current craft project.
I was pretty upset at the time, when I discovered my hobby supplies were gone.

N/A
When I go with my friend-who does drive-to do errands, I often have difficulty locating the car in parking lot.

It's hard to reverse my route in my head, and going shopping scrambles up my mind.
All my brain circuits were busy navigating the store I was in, and there's no mental space left for remembering where the vehicle was.

It's not serious problem, in time I'd eventually find it-just admitting my limitations.

Bonus question:
Today we’re going to work at the local tennis club for the day. Which of these roles best suit your skills and talents?
One of the players
Ball boy/girl <--
Umpire
Court maintenance crew
Linesman/lineswoman <--
Locker Room attendant
^Not sure.
Think I could stare at a single narrow spot/line/area on the ground,
but I'd be afraid of getting hit by a stray ball so would likely flinch (and miss what I was supposed to see).

Just for fun:
How many telephone handsets do you have in your home (landline handsets plus cell phones)?
2, both landlines.
I don't get how "everybody" can cope with those teensy little flat rectangle devices-my face isn't shaped like that.
A landline phone handset actually reaches from my ear to my mouth-and I can hold the phone in crook of my neck, if need be.

I have an extra question today: In yesterday’s QOTD cloven asked whether or not you like marzipan. I was astonished at how many Americans said they’d never tasted it. Since marzipan is traditionally used in wedding cakes in many other countries, what is the icing/covering of US wedding cakes traditionally made from?
Wouldn't know, didn't have a cake-but white frosting (dunno' what it's made with, perhaps confectioner's/powdered sugar ?) looks the most typical/traditional/common.

Today is
:
National Peach Melba Day <--I used to like Columbo brand peach melba yogurt

Thanks for the Qs, Kobber. Wishing you well with your dental recovery, I sympathize big time.
Hoping all y'all have a brisk and blissful day.

Last edited by cloven; 01-12-2015 at 11:07 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 10:44 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Good morning everyone and welcome to Questions of the Day for Tuesday, January 13th 2015. Last week’s dental appointment went okay – healing well, but still eating mush! Thanks to everyone who sent good wishes – much appreciated. Nothing to report this week, so let’s get straight into the questions…

Today’s question:

Union Stockyards! Moving cattle from loading docks to various commision company alleys and pens.

Extra credit question:

Have you ever –

Only if I called the tow truck.

Left a brand new model car I just purchased on a city bus early 60's.

Bonus question:

One of the players

Ball boy/girl

Umpire

Court maintenance crew

Linesman/lineswoman

Locker Room attendant
None of the above.

Just for fun:

Several..

Thought for the day:

If at first you don’t succeed, do it like your mother told you. (Author Unknown)

Today is:
National Peach Melba Day

Thanks Kobber!Get well soon!

Last edited by SATX56; 01-12-2015 at 10:52 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 10:56 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Today’s question:

Tell us a little about your first full-time job as an adult. Military, US ARMY.

Extra credit question:

Have you ever –

Fallen asleep on public transit and missed your stop? Don't use it.

Been stuck in an elevator? One time.

Had your car towed away (either because of a parking violation or because it broke down) Once when it wouldn't start and locked up the transmission.

Driven or been a passenger in an 18-wheel (or similarly large) truck Passenger, drove a 10 wheeler in the Army..

Left something valuable or important in a taxi-cab? Not yet.

Forgotten where you left your car in a parking lot? A few times.

Bonus question:

One of the players

Ball boy/girl

Umpire

Court maintenance crew

Linesman/lineswoman

Locker Room attendant

Just for fun:

How many telephone handsets do you have in your home (landline handsets plus cell phones)? 8

I have an extra question today: In yesterday’s QOTD cloven asked whether or not you like marzipan. I was astonished at how many Americans said they’d never tasted it. Since marzipan is traditionally used in wedding cakes in many other countries, what is the icing/covering of US wedding cakes traditionally made from. Sugar, I think.

Kobber

Old 01-12-2015, 11:12 PM

21,533 posts, read 8,718,127 times
Today’s question:

I worked at an offset printing shop as a clerk-typist. My paycheck, after deductions, was a princely $52.76 a week.

Extra credit question:

Have you ever –

No, I can never relax that much on public transit.
Once, briefly. I couldn't believe how panicky I got.
Yes, once I forgot to move my car out of a towaway zone in time and it cost big bucks to get it back. Another time my car was totaled on New Year's Eve (I wasn't in it; it was parked when a drunk driver hit it hard). Then there was the time I ran into a wall in a parking garage at work when the engine stalled and I lost the power steering and brakes. I totaled the car, and it had to be towed. The imprint of my grille remained on the wall for years afterward as an emblem of my shame!
Yes, my brother and I were picked up by a trucker after his car broke down one night.
No, but once I left my purse on the New York subway. I got off at the next stop, caught a train going back to the station I'd just left, and found that a very nice middle-aged man was holding my purse for me. I was so grateful, and I'll never forget his kindness. I regret to this day that I didn't at least offer to give him a reward.
Yes, I once had to pay overtime parking charges because it took me longer than 15 minutes to find my car, and the prepaid ticket had expired. I felt as if I were in an episode of the Twilight Zone, going from one level to the other, up and down, back and forth, walking in circles and never finding my car.

Bonus question:

One of the players

Ball boy/girl

Umpire

Court maintenance crew

Linesman/lineswoman

Locker Room attendant <------ This is probably the only one I'd be qualified for.

Just for fun:

Seven: One obsolete flip phone with a dead battery. One identical model that Mr. Bay still uses. One iPhone that I use. Landline answering machine with two wireless handsets. One landline "banana phone" in the bedroom in case of emergency. A landline wall phone in the garage.

That's a good question. I guess they use buttercream frosting. I didn't have a traditional wedding, I've never baked a wedding cake, and I don't go to weddings, so I really don't know.

Thanks, Kobber! I hope you'll be back to solid food soon.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:15 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Today’s question:

I had a temporary full-time job that lasted a month ... Job was ... DING A LING! AKA Salvation Army Kettle Worker ... Collecting donations in front of grocery store for well known charity organization Salvation Army

Extra credit question:

Have you ever –

Fallen asleep on public transit and missed your stop? No but nearly did ... I woke up just as we were crossing the light prior to reaching my stop ... Close call!

Been stuck in an elevator? No thank GOD! I'd freak!

Had your car towed away (either because of a parking violation or because it broke down): Nope ... Never seen any of my gigantic orange or red buses towed

Driven or been a passenger in an 18-wheel (or similarly large) truck: Nope

Left something valuable or important in a taxi-cab? My sister left a gift that she had purchased for her baby girl on a cab in Vegas ... Fortunately, I am the type of person that will read everything and remembered the cabbie's name was Leonardo ... We tracked him down and he had the gift ready for us ... Sheesh! Close call and glad we did not miss our flight back home!

Forgotten where you left your car in a parking lot? Been there done that ... Not my car but my friend's car ...

Bonus question:

One of the players

Ball boy/girl

Umpire

Court maintenance crew

Linesman/lineswoman

Locker Room attendant Guess which locker room (ok .. I'll go to my room now )

Just for fun:

How many telephone handsets do you have in your home (landline handsets plus cell phones)? Two

I dunno ... Frosting which is an icky sugary confection ... Ick .... I never had marzipan until about three years ago when I visited an Armenian friend ... She had some "Stollen" bread that had marzipan inside it and it was delicious ... Unfortunately, I can't find that particular brand she bought at Trader Joes (where she purchased it) ....

Old 01-12-2015, 11:33 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,798,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Sure hope you have some good-tasting mush, hang in there Lady!

Today’s question:

Civil Service employee (Secretary) at an Air Force Base, paid a whopping $2.03/hr!

Extra credit question:

Have you ever –

Never had to use public transit, so no.

Have had to call a tow truck three times due to breakdowns - once because the fuel pump went out, and on another the timing chain broke and on another the alternator went out.

Oh, sure... when shopping, but it's usually in the general direction of where I think I left it so no biggie, but one time (out of the hundreds of times I'd parked there), I couldn't find it at DFW and finally gave up after searching & searching two garages for it... called Airport Security and they drove me around until we found it, should have called them sooner!

Bonus question:

One of the players - Only if we're playing comedy tennis!

Ball boy/girl

Umpire

Court maintenance crew

Linesman/lineswoman

Locker Room attendant

Just for fun:

Six combined.

Buttercreme, Royal Icing or Fondant - from what I understand, Marzipan is a lot more expensive here than there, thus rarely used.

Thought for the day:

Today is
:
National Peach Melba Day

Thanks Kobber for Tuesday's QotD!

And to All, hope you enjoy a...

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-12-2015 at 11:45 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 11:43 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post

Today’s question:

Tell us a little about your first full-time job as an adult. Typing pool clerk in Austin, TX. I was fired.

Extra credit question:

Have you ever –

Fallen asleep on public transit and missed your stop? Once.

Been stuck in an elevator? Once. Hope it never happens again.

Had your car towed away (either because of a parking violation or because it broke down) No.

Driven or been a passenger in an 18-wheel (or similarly large) truck No.
Left something valuable or important in a taxi-cab? Nope.

Forgotten where you left your car in a parking lot? Yep.

Bonus question:

Today we’re going to work at the local tennis club for the day. Which of these roles best suit your skills and talents? I hate tennis, so....

One of the players

Ball boy/girl

Umpire

Court maintenance crew

Linesman/lineswoman

Locker Room attendant

Just for fun:

How many telephone handsets do you have in your home (landline handsets plus cell phones)? 4

I have an extra question today: In yesterday’s QOTD cloven asked whether or not you like marzipan. I was astonished at how many Americans said they’d never tasted it. Since marzipan is traditionally used in wedding cakes in many other countries, what is the icing/covering of US wedding cakes traditionally made from? Butter?

Thanks, Kobber. Hi, everyone!

Old 01-12-2015, 11:47 PM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times

Good news, kobber!

Today’s question:

While in an University, I was working as an intern in a Resocialization Clinic for Substance Abusers. Later on I became a fully accredited staff member in the same Clinic. I worked there several years.

Extra credit question:

Have you ever –

No, but I had fallen asleep in my car waiting for the traffic light to change
On one occasion, a driver of a car behind me, was banging on my car door thinking I died there
It was a result of fatigue and inhuman workloads. We sometimes worked few shifts at a time.

I think so, but probably not for very long, because I vaguely remember that.

Yep. My first car in the US was a piece of crap Mazda, that always died in the middle of an intersection. It needed to be towed or pushed aside.
Very embarrassing. Didn't had it very long, though...
After that I never looked at a Mazda again, and never will.

Yes. In the 70's, when I missed the bus, I sometimes hitchhiked. It was safe then.

No. But I left a very expensive glasses in an airplane. They never "found" it.

That happen quite often in those humongous parking lots or garages. If I forget to make a mental note where I parked, I need to mentally "retrace" how I got there, and what I did after I left the car.
In unfamiliar open areas I use an app now.

Bonus question:

One of the players. I used to play tennis. It would be nice to try it again.

Ball boy/girl

Umpire

Court maintenance crew

Linesman/lineswoman

Locker Room attendant

Just for fun:

One landline with one extra handset, and two cell phones.

I have an extra question today:
In yesterday’s QOTD cloven asked whether or not you like marzipan. I was astonished at how many Americans said they’d never tasted it. Since marzipan is traditionally used in wedding cakes in many other countries, what is the icing/covering of US wedding cakes traditionally made from?
ARTIFICIALLY colored buttercream or SUGAR
People spend thousand of dollars on wedding reception, but then decide that marzipan is to expensive, and have a cheap icing instead... lol!

Thought for the day:

If at first you don’t succeed, do it like your mother told you. (Author Unknown) Hahaha... right!!! Mother knows the best!

Today is:
National Peach Melba Day

Thank you, kobber!!

Last edited by elnina; 01-13-2015 at 12:40 AM..

Old 01-13-2015, 12:03 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times

Lots and lots O part time jobs when young; my first 40+ hr a week job was a three month internship at the Milwaukee Public Museum. http://www.mpm.edu/ Cool experience, truly great museum - visit it if you ever have a chance.

Have you ever –

Fallen asleep on public transit and missed your stop?N

Been stuck in an elevator?Y - in the freight elevator of a newly built museum. Twice.

Had your car towed away (either because of a parking violation or because it broke down) N

Driven or been a passenger in an 18-wheel (or similarly large) truck N

Left something valuable or important in a taxi-cab? N

Forgotten where you left your car in a parking lot? Y- several times in parking garages when living in LA. I always know directions and where I am when I'm outside, but inside buildings I lose my mind. Remember that Seinfeld episode in the mall parking garage? That was me, to a T.

Bonus question:

Today we’re going to work at the local tennis club for the day. Which of these roles best suit your skills and talents? I have NO skills and talents in this area, sadly.

Just for fun:

How many telephone handsets do you have in your home (landline handsets plus cell phones)? 1 landline, but I mostly Skype. I live in a cell phone dead zone, hurrah!!!

I have an extra question today: In yesterday’s QOTD cloven asked whether or not you like marzipan. I was astonished at how many Americans said they’d never tasted it. Since marzipan is traditionally used in wedding cakes in many other countries, what is the icing/covering of US wedding cakes traditionally made from? Traditionally it is buttercream icing, which is made by whipping butter and confectioners sugar together. Buttercream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia But now unless you ask for buttercream, a lot of bad bakeries do a cheapy substitute stuff that is made of god knows what - the same stuff fake whipped cream is made out of. Yick. I'm surprised in so many other countries marzipan is used, you would think that would be really expensive. I didn't do questions yesterday, so here's my answer - the only time I've ever had marzipan was a marzipan pig bought at a bakery in Monteray, Mexico. Pretty, but nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics