Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 11:55 AM

3,961 posts, read 2,574,285 times

Advertisements

I was imagining writing this post...
.. I imagine meaningful thoughts turning into insightful words, I imagine you nodding your head and say, yes! I get it! I imagine my fingers hitting the keys quickly so you are reading this right away! (Geee, that worked, right, you're read--oh, never mind! )
Okay, the real message now! Thank you for clicking on my post even in it's lateness. Life got in the way- working overtime each day.

7 Helpful Tips To Immediately Increase Your Confidence
http://topachievement.com/kentsayre.html

The article talks about improving doing something you may think you can't. My comments are focused on the more general terms, relating to the suggestions.

Brief synopses of the points.
1. Putting problems in perspective- is the problem as big as you think?
2. Imagining you are doing the thing you want to do. Our brain reacts to images we create the same as the real event.
3. Finding a role model- someone you look up to and can adapt some of their attitudes and behaviors
4. Acting like you can do what you want. I feel this is different than the saying, fake it till you make it... more about that below
5. Imagine you are at for their help. What is the worse that will happen if they say no? They might assist you!
6. Seeking out people and asking u can switch the words or imagine mid-thought! Changing the voice or put it in a different context.
7.Turn off the negative self talk- hard to do but at the end of your life... is the situation or problem you are experienced even going to matter?

I like this article because I often lack confidence! These seven tips are good, can be a good starting point in developing more... dare I say the obvious ... developing more confidence.

During the last three days, six hours, and four minutes (but who is counting? ) I kept coming back to the idea that our brain reacts to the image we give it as much at the real event. My first thought was, okay! I am going to imagine I have a husband and children and every night imagine what we all did! My brain will be happy! HA

My second thought was how important the image we create of what happens to us is.

There is a quote that relates...
It's not what happens to you that matters. It's how you respond to what happens to you that makes a difference."- Zig Ziglar

The image that we create is what affects how we respond. It's best if we can create positive images but that is not always possible due to the nature of life. We can recognize the image we are presenting ourselves and change it. It can mean we handle a hard situation.

Even if we can't change it, we must at least remind ourselves that the image is there. Understand how the image creates it in part. Be compassionate to yourself regarding what is happening and tell yourself that you can get through it. That will help in your belief that you can do it!

Imagine you ARE getting through it. Ask yourself questions like the article says to do about what you want to do, how it would be. This acting like you can do it is different than faking it until you make it! In faking it, you continue doing something that you don't think you can but you pretend you can. You say what you need to, to get through the situation. Maybe that means telling customers what you believe they will accept.

But acting like you can do it, is using questions to puzzle out about HOW to do the activity or problem and thinking about how you want it to end up. It is asking yourself what you need BEFORE if possible and reaching out to others to help you.

The last thing I'd like to share is about how important it is to deal with your negative talk. We will never end it. It's there for a reason- we're insecure or we're worried about our ability. Since we can't stop it, use it.

I will say, "I am so stupid". STOP I think. I see a stop sign in my mind and I change the word from stop to kind. Be kind to you, I think. And I laugh. And my mood is lightened and I can move on in a better fashion.

Thanks for reading and see you next THURSDAY.

P.S... Starting next week my thread will be called Healthy Living Tips and will appear on Thursday! See ya then!

Last edited by Wild Flower; 01-18-2015 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Because my edit button was stuck! Haaaaa ;)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 02:16 PM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Many thanks for those tips Wild Flower and I look forward to the healthy tips in the future, as long as I can still have my chocolate!

Old 01-18-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Many thanks for those tips Wild Flower and I look forward to the healthy tips in the future, as long as I can still have my chocolate!
Yes you can! LOVE chocolate too!

Old 01-18-2015, 02:58 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Quote:
7 Helpful Tips To Immediately Increase Your Confidence

I will say,"I am so stupid". STOP I think. I see a stop sign in my mind and I change the word from stop to kind. Be kind to you, I think. And I laugh. And my mood is lightened and I can move on in a better fashion.
I keep telling myself that “I’m not so stupid” but then I hear this little voice way in the back of my head saying – “you’re nuts, now go get someone else to do it correctly”.

LOL

Old 01-18-2015, 05:47 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Over the years I have found that problems seem to get bigger and bigger the longer I put off dealing with them. Most times they turn out to be a piece of cake. Then I swear I won't let them get big again and over and over I do put them off.

Thank you, Wild Flower, for the tips.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:17 PM

21,545 posts, read 8,727,966 times
Thank you, Wild Flower. This is really good advice. I have often used some of the tips to overcome shyness. I imagine that I am not a shy person, and then think about how a not-shy person would act in that situation. Sometimes I picture one of my outgoing friends and imagine what she would do. Then I try to channel that attitude, as if I am an actress playing a role. It really does work!

Old 01-19-2015, 07:57 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
I like those tips, thanks. Especially #1. ...

Old 01-19-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Thank you, Wild Flower. This is really good advice. I have often used some of the tips to overcome shyness. I imagine that I am not a shy person, and then think about how a not-shy person would act in that situation. Sometimes I picture one of my outgoing friends and imagine what she would do. Then I try to channel that attitude, as if I am an actress playing a role. It really does work!

You are a smart cookie, for sure! That is awesome that you do this already!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics