Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 01:15 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times

Advertisements

Today's (Not-So) Historic Questions:
Tell us any experience during your young years that made you feel like a grown up.

When my mother became demented due to being given inappropriate psychoactive drugs, and I had to take charge of her medical care, find a care home for her and move her out of her house.
Do you have a drawer, cabinet/cupboard or a plastic bag that is full of plastic bags?
No, but I store them in the garage and recycle them if I can.
What are/were your favorite TV game shows?
I loved the original What's My Line? with John Daly hosting when it was rerun on GSN.
When was the last time you spoke to your parents?
I called my father to wish him a happy birthday on October 7, 1986. He died later that month. I spoke to my mother on the phone about a week before she died in January, 1998.
Just 10 years ago today the first youtube video was posted! Now look how many there are!
So please recommend a youtube video or channel.
You can post a name instead of an actual vid or link.
Or skip this if you don't know how or don't care to.

I enjoy videos of budgies. There are lots of good ones including the snoogly videos, but my favorites are those posted by Frank Bingley. Here he shows off his talking budgie, Charlie:

Can you identify clouds by their type ~ you know cirrus, cumulus and all that?
Not really. I get them mixed up all the time.
Rain, snow, dust, fog. Tell us anything about driving or riding when there was poor visibility.
I've had to drive in heavy rain and snow storms when it was hard to see, but luckily these occasions have been few and far between.

Foodie Questions:
Have you tried gluten free foods or similar? If so, what did you think or would you try them?

I wouldn't mind eating gluten free foods, but I have no food sensitivities, so I don't restrict myself in any way.
Food(s) you were pleasantly surprised freeze well?
Chopped onions
Any that didn't freeze so well?
Cheese

Thanks, bjh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 01:35 AM

11,370 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Greetings, fellow earthlings. Here are . . .

Tell us any experience during your young years that made you feel like a grown up
When I finally moved out at age 19.

Do you have a drawer, cabinet/cupboard or a plastic bag that is full of plastic bags? More like a small area. I just dropped them off Tuesday.

What are/were your favorite TV game shows? Jeopardy and Password.

When was the last time you spoke to your parents? Parents are dead.

Just 10 years ago today the first youtube video was posted! Now look how many there are!
So please recommend a youtube video or channel. Real Time With Bill Maher:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RealTime/videos

Can you identify clouds by their type ~ you know cirrus, cumulus and all that? - No.

Rain, snow, dust, fog. Tell us anything about driving or riding when there was poor visibility. Hurricane Ivan when it came through Maryland in 2004 and a few snow storms / blizzards. The blizzard we had in 1983 I remember the vehicle I was driving drivers side windshield wiper broke. In 1979 I blew a transmission.

Forgot about fog. Once during a trip to Western Maryland and through the mountains I had to get out to see where I was. That was scary.

Foodie Questions:
Have you tried gluten free foods or similar? If so, what did you think or would you try them? Not on purpose.

Food(s) you were pleasantly surprised freeze well? I eat what I fix and rarely freeze, unless I bought it that way.

Any that didn't freeze so well? N/A.

Today in History:

2005 1st YouTube video uploaded, titled "Me at the zoo." 19 seconds long, it currently has over 19 million views - I've had a YouTube account since 2006. I keep it for myself as it only has "favorite" music, comedy, and a few clips relating to documentaries.

Today Includes:
Cherry Cheesecake Day - I can get behind this.

English Language Day - This too. Many living in the United States could use some major improvement in this area.

Take Our Daughters & Sons to Work Day - A horrible idea that invites children to a place they have no business being in who are for the most part noisy and bored. When I was a government contractor I hated going to work on this day.

Thanks, bjh.
Best wishes to all for a good Thursday!

Last edited by John13; 04-23-2015 at 02:40 AM..

Old 04-23-2015, 01:53 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Tell us any experience during your young years that made you feel like a grown up.

I walked to elementary school (about 3 blocks) and junior high school (just under 3 miles) by myself or with friends. No adults. Under 7 years old I would roller skate around the block in the Bronx. No adults. I'd ride my bike to the candy store in 4th - 6th grade (about a mile in suburbia) to buy comic books. No adults. I don't think I ever went trick or treating with an adult. So, did every other kid in those days.

Do you have a drawer, cabinet/cupboard or a plastic bag that is full of plastic bags?

How, how did you know?

Concentration - Past
The Chase - Now

My grandmother and I saw the first Jeopardy show ever on TV when she was staying with us for a few days.

My dad is deceased about 16 years. I don't speak to my mother.

Favorite current TV ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnVuqfXohxc

And here's an oldie music video (my fave Gladys Knight and The Pips song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSw7vulUfME

Can you identify clouds by their type ~ you know cirrus, cumulus and all that? Yes, I can.

Rain, snow, dust, fog. Tell us anything about driving or riding when there was poor visibility.

Uh-oh, I have a gripe. It's people who don't put on their headlights in the fog, snow or rain. Just because you have running lights doesn't mean you have tail lights. When people are crawling in bad weather, I think you're more likely to get hit in the azz. Put on your headlights so you have tail lights.

Foodie Questions:
Have you tried gluten free foods or similar? If so, what did you think or would you try them?
No and No.

Don't like to freeze food that isn't sold that way so I don't know.

Don't know.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:16 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,901 times
Hello!

When I took my mom's heels to go somewhere and I just left her a note not to miss me or her shoes

Do you have a drawer, cabinet/cupboard or a plastic bag that is full of plastic bags? Yes, a drawer.

What are/were your favorite TV game shows? I don't watch TV a lot and most of all no game shows.

When was the last time you spoke to your parents? A few hours ago.

Can you identify clouds by their type ~ you know cirrus, cumulus and all that? No, not anymore.

Foodie Questions:
Have you tried gluten free foods or similar? If so, what did you think or would you try them? No, at least not knowingly.

Today Includes:
Cherry Cheesecake Day
English Language Day Yes, English is not my mother tongue and a learned language for me.
Take Our Daughters & Sons to Work Day Hmmm, my parents took my son to school today, does that count?
Talk Like Shakespeare Day I guess my colleagues would find me somewhat crazy.

Love that picture!

Old 04-23-2015, 04:13 AM

576 posts, read 422,279 times
When I started helping doing DIY, nailing bits of wood together is very manly :-)
Another bag
Family Fortunes
Catch Phrase
The Price Is Right Back in the day

My father in hospital a few days before he died he was sedated the following day, My mother today, im lucky enough to live near all my family
So please recommend a youtube video or channel
You can post a name instead of an actual vid or link. Ryan Gosling wont eat his cereal, always cracks me up because its so stupid

Some of them

I dont mind rain or fog I just drive a bit slower, I dont drive in snow im not used to it it dosent snow here very often, never experience driving in dust

Foodie Questions:
Yes one of my neighbor is a Celiac, I was surprised it tasted almost the same as non gluten free food
Doughs
Any that didn't freeze so well
Any cooked non minced meats, like freezing left overs from a curry or a stew, the meat doesnt taste half as good as fresh meat

Old 04-23-2015, 05:13 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Tell us any experience during your young years that made you feel like a grown up. When I was quite young, maybe 7 or 8, and me and my older brother were playing in a forest that had a giant rock. We climbed up to the top and then I climbed down but my brother was stuck. He was panicking but I went strangely calm and was able, eventually, to guide him back down to safety. I felt so grown up right then!

Do you have a drawer, cabinet/cupboard or a plastic bag that is full of plastic bags? I have a plastic bag hanging above the washing machine that is full of other plastic bags

What are/were your favorite TV game shows? Gladiators (UK) was my favourite as a kid and as a student I loved Countdown

When was the last time you spoke to your parents? Spoke to my mum on facebook the other day

I shall have to post a video of my lovely daughter showing off her terrible karaoke skills (She just makes up her own songs in Finnish to sing alone while the laptop plays nursery rhymes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gggKpaYZnB8

Can you identify clouds by their type ~ you know cirrus, cumulus and all that? No

Rain, snow, dust, fog. Tell us anything about driving or riding when there was poor visibility. Many times I've had to travel when snow has made visibility poor - not fun!

Foodie Questions:
Have you tried gluten free foods or similar? If so, what did you think or would you try them? I have Coeliac disease so I've been stuck on the gluten free diet since I was 21. Bread-like products aren't so good but sponge cakes are actually really nice and light and airy if made well

Food(s) you were pleasantly surprised freeze well? Not sure I've been pleasantly surprised by food freezing well

Any that didn't freeze so well? Or disappointed. But I hate it when I forget about some meat in the freezer and when I remember it, it has freezer burns.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:19 AM

126,279 posts, read 19,053,589 times

Tell us any experience during your young years that made you feel like a grown up. building a doghouse with my father handing him nails and hammering a few nails in the wood or given certain duties in our garden like watering the plants and vegetables and being allowed to accompany my father in the woods and counting the deer and looking out for injured ones while using binoculars high up on a stand in the trees.The time when he taught me what mushrooms were poison and which one we were able to pick to take home for dinner ( I am sure he double checked my basket )

Do you have a drawer, cabinet/cupboard or a plastic bag that is full of plastic bags? I have all my plastic vegetable/fruit bags stored in an empty Kleenex box..the GREATEST TIP THAT OUR PAM SINGER ever gave us here on "Today's Tip"

What are/were your favorite TV game shows? haven't watched any

When was the last time you spoke to your parents? yesterday..

Or skip this if you don't know how or don't care to. There are just too many to choose from

Can you identify clouds by their type ~ you know cirrus, cumulus and all that? I remember learning about them but forgot them by name

Rain, snow, dust, fog. Tell us anything about driving or riding when there was poor visibility. all I know a lot of patience and alertness is needed

Foodie Questions:
Have you tried gluten free foods or similar? If so, what did you think or would you try them? no I have not

Food(s) you were pleasantly surprised freeze well? certain type of cookies and whipping cream ( I spritz whipping cream in a nice shape on cookie sheets and freeze them and put them in a container. When needed for a dessert I take one by one out..but never keep them more than a week in the freezer)

Today in History:
1516 Beer history: The Bayerische Reinheitsgebot, aka Bavarian Purity Law, established regulations for brewers
1564 English playwright and poet William Shakespeare born
1597 The Merry Wives of Windsor premiered, with Queen Elizabeth I in attendance
1616 English playwright and poet William Shakespeare died aged 52
1789 President-elect George Washington moved to then capital of NY
1867 Queen Victoria & Napoleon III both turned down plans for a channel tunnel between Britain and France
1910 President Theodore Roosevelt made famous "The Man in the Arena" speech
---> Citizenship in a Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1914 1st baseball game at Wrigley Field in Chicago, then known as Weeghman Park
1927 Cardiff City defeated Arsenal in the FA Cup Final, only time won by a team not based in England
1985 Coca-Cola introduced New Coke, for 3 months anyway, before bringing back the original
2005 1st YouTube video uploaded, titled "Me at the zoo." 19 seconds long, it currently has over 19 million views

Today's Slightly Amusing Quote:
"Tis an ill cook that cannot lick his own fingers."
~William Shakespeare, in Romeo and Juliet

Today’s Shakespearean Word:
quaff [kwof, kwaf, kwawf] verb
to drink a beverage, especially an intoxicating one, copiously and with hearty enjoyment,
as in quaffing a flagon of ale

Today Includes:
Cherry Cheesecake Day...yummy
English Language Day
Take Our Daughters & Sons to Work Day
Talk Like Shakespeare Day
World Book & Copyright Day

This Week Includes:
Administrative Professionals Week
International Wildlife Film Week
Pet ID Week, get 'em microchipped
Spring Astronomy Week

Today's Picture:
April flowers along Constitution Hill in London, across the street from Buckingham Palace, 2006.

Made publicly available by photographer Gryffindor on commons.wikimedia.org

Have a bloomin' great Thursday!

Thank you bjh

Old 04-23-2015, 05:57 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times

When I babysat for young kids, that sort of made me feel like a grown up

I bought one of those cloth plastic bag holders, works well

Never really cared for game shows

last week

No not really

We have heavy fog sometimes but I try to avoid driving in it

Foodie Questions:
No never tried it

Today in History:
1516 Beer history: The Bayerische Reinheitsgebot, aka Bavarian Purity Law, established regulations for brewers
1564 English playwright and poet William Shakespeare born
1597 The Merry Wives of Windsor premiered, with Queen Elizabeth I in attendance
1616 English playwright and poet William Shakespeare died aged 52
1789 President-elect George Washington moved to then capital of NY
1867 Queen Victoria & Napoleon III both turned down plans for a channel tunnel between Britain and France
1910 President Theodore Roosevelt made famous "The Man in the Arena" speech
---> Citizenship in a Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1914 1st baseball game at Wrigley Field in Chicago, then known as Weeghman Park
1927 Cardiff City defeated Arsenal in the FA Cup Final, only time won by a team not based in England
1985 Coca-Cola introduced New Coke, for 3 months anyway, before bringing back the original
2005 1st YouTube video uploaded, titled "Me at the zoo." 19 seconds long, it currently has over 19 million views

Today's Slightly Amusing Quote:
"Tis an ill cook that cannot lick his own fingers."
~William Shakespeare, in Romeo and Juliet

Today’s Shakespearean Word:
quaff [kwof, kwaf, kwawf] verb
to drink a beverage, especially an intoxicating one, copiously and with hearty enjoyment,
as in quaffing a flagon of ale

Today Includes:
Cherry Cheesecake Day
English Language Day
Take Our Daughters & Sons to Work Day
Talk Like Shakespeare Day
World Book & Copyright Day

This Week Includes:
Administrative Professionals Week
International Wildlife Film Week
Pet ID Week, get 'em microchipped
Spring Astronomy Week

Today's Picture:
April flowers along Constitution Hill in London, across the street from Buckingham Palace, 2006.

Made publicly available by photographer Gryffindor on commons.wikimedia.org

Have a bloomin' great Thursday!

Thanks bjh!

Old 04-23-2015, 06:07 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,032,420 times
I still don't feel grown up!
Most are in the laundry room in a kleenex box ala PJ's Tips
I loved Password as a kid, now ...maybe family feud.
Dad~Yesterday, Mom~May 14, 2007

Can you identify clouds by their type ~ you know cirrus, cumulus and all that? Nope

Sever thunderstorms, lots of cars pulled over, I toughed it out.

Foodie Questions:
No
Butter

Old 04-23-2015, 06:15 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,839 times
The biggest one was probably when I was 13 or 14, staying in the hotel room while my parents went out to eat dinner. I've never been big on eating out, and even today I'd much rather spend that time either on the beach or at the pool.
Yes, and then some
Let's make a Deal (The older version, not the recent reboot), Press Your Luck, The Price is Right when Bob Barker hosted, and pretty much any old game show. When I was 8 or 9 I would watch Game Show Network nonstop. I'm not a fan of most of their newer shows, but I do really like The Chase.
This morning
Two of my favorite channels:
-TVMan1981 - Stanley Roberts, A reporter from the San Francisco Bay Area posts videos of "people behaving badly".
-JMV FRVA - Great music mixed with great driving footage from Virginia, Maryland, West Va. and Pennsylvania.

I used to, but not really anymore.
While it's not driving or riding, there is a story with bad visibility that I will always remember: About 5 years ago we went to Ocean city in the Spring for a few days. One night, we went in one of the arcades on the boardwalk for 20 - 30 minutes. It was crystal clear when we went in, but when we left there was almost zero visibility from fog. We were all scratching our heads as to where this fog came from.

Foodie Questions:
No

No idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics