Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 09:46 PM

44,723 posts, read 61,963,599 times

Advertisements

Today's Neighborly Questions:
Would you avoid or welcome living in a home with a homeowner's association or HOA? Why or why not? We live in a low key well run HOA retirement community. Have for years and everyone is on the same page as everyone else and we have a nice clean quiet community. We know people in other HOA communities that are happy and some in others not so. So it really depends on a lot of factors, especially retirement areas vs mixed family areas..

What would make a neighbor's home or yard unattractive or unacceptable in your opinion? Junky yards, unkempt yards, paint peeling etal.

How do you feel about plastic pink flamingos? We have one. It gets passed around the neighborhood and it's fun for everyone wondering when they will be next.

What websites do you almost always have open when you're online? CD and 'you got mail'.

What would you donate to put in a time capsule to be opened decades from now? Double Bubble bubble gum.

Congrats! Your book has hit the bestseller list. What's it about? Fragnotiousing.

Name an old-fashioned occupation almost no one has anymore. Farrier. That's a horse-shoer for those not familiar.

Someone asked if last week's "Happy as a dog . . . with a bone, etc." question could be a cat, so here ya go.

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat sleeping near the fireplace.."

Foodie Qs:
Frosty mug of root beer or a root beer float? Either one.

Would you try root beer or cola flavored ice cream? Sure why not, isn't that how those floats are made.

What unusual or funny ice cream flavor do you think should be made at least once? Chicken or taco flavored.

bjh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 10:00 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,839,746 times
Would you avoid or welcome living in a home with a homeowner's association or HOA? Why or why not?AVOID...MY HUSBAND ALWAYS PISSES SOMEONE OFF...

What would make a neighbor's home or yard unattractive or unacceptable in your opinion? WEEDS....SMELL FROM THE HOUSE... TRASH IN THE YARD

How do you feel about plastic pink flamingos? HATE THEM....HUSBAND WOULD DECORATE THEM AROUND...

What websites do you almost always have open when you're online? FACEBOOK...CD....YAHOO...YAHOO MAIL

What would you donate to put in a time capsule to be opened decades from now?

Congrats! Your book has hit the bestseller list. What's it about? I could write s book that would be made into a LIFETIME HORROR FLICK/.ALL true...

Name an old-fashioned occupation almost no one has anymore. SHOE SHINE GUY

Someone asked if last week's "Happy as a dog . . . with a bone, etc." question could be a cat, so here ya go.

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat _________WITH A CATNIP FATTY..____________."

Foodie Qs:
Frosty mug of rootbeer or a rootbeer float? FLOAT

Would you try rootbeer or cola flavored ice cream? YES

What unusual or funny ice cream flavor do you think should be made at least once?ANYTHING WITH COCONUT

Today in History:

Old 07-08-2015, 10:49 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,841,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Hello, everyone! Sit back, relax, and let's have some fun with . . .

Would you avoid or welcome living in a home with a homeowner's association or HOA? Why or why not?
An HOA w/limited power to only oversee that the overall aesthetics & home values of the neighborhood are maintained, along with the common areas that all share, as well as oversee a neighborhood crime watch committee.

What would make a neighbor's home or yard unattractive or unacceptable in your opinion?
Trashy, unmowed, unkempt yards w/any kind of outdoor junk, autos parked all over the yard, the home not being properly maintained, oddly-painted home exteriors, i.e., anything that brings down the value of other homes in the area.

How do you feel about plastic pink flamingos?
Amusing if limited to a few

What websites do you almost always have open when you're online?
This & that or whatever, nothing specific

I'd donate links to Satx's Obscure threads that have some of the very best music selections of our era that have been included from youtube... hmmm, wonder how they'd access it in the future?

Congrats! Your book has hit the bestseller list. What's it about?
Must be why I've not written one yet, have no idea!

Name an old-fashioned occupation almost no one has anymore.
Blacksmith

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat _w/a human slave_."

Foodie Qs:
Frosty mug of rootbeer or a rootbeer float?
Ah, let's have both!

Would you try rootbeer or cola flavored ice cream?
I might try a spoonful of each, but I'd rather have the vanilla ice cream in either instead.

What unusual or funny ice cream flavor do you think should be made at least once?
Can't think of any that hasn't already been tried.

Today in History:
869 A magnitude 8.6 earthquake and subsequent tsunami struck Honshu, Japan
1386 Battle of Sempach helped form Swtizerland from Austria
1816 Argentina declared independence from Spain
1850 US President Zachary Taylor died of illness, making Millard Fillmore president
1877 Wimbledon tennis championships began in England
1900 Queen Victoria gave Royal Assent to the uniting of Australia's separate colonies into one government
1922 Johnny Weissmuller swam 100 m. freestyle in 58.6 seconds, breaking the world record & the 'minute barrier'
1958 Lituya Bay, Alaska hit by a megatsunami recorded at 30-91 m. high, the largest in recorded history
---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lituya_Bay
1981 Video game "Donkey Kong" released, the debut of Nintendo's future mascot, Mario
1993 Canada established the province of Nunavut from the Northwest Territories

Today's Pithy Quote:
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you.
This is the principal difference between dogs and humans."
~ Mark Twain, author So true! I love the humorous wisdom of this man!

Today’s Word:
tenderfoot [TEN-der-foo t] noun, plural tenderfoots, tenderfeet
1. a raw, inexperienced person; a novice
2. a newcomer to the ranching and mining regions of the western US, unused to hardships
Origin: from at least 1860s; US equivalent of what in Great Britain was generally called a "greenhand"

Today Includes:
Constitution Day, Australia
Nunavut Day, province of Canada
Sugar Cookie Day

This Week Includes:
Freedom Week
Farriers Week
Nude Recreation Week

Today's Nostalgia Picture: Priceless!
Toronto, 1924, a cop walks kids across a rainy street.
Photo made publicly available by City of Toronto Archives.

Have a law-abiding Thursday!
Thanks for a great Thursday QotD, bjh!

Happy Thursday all, enjoy!

Old 07-08-2015, 10:55 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,398,112 times
Default Today's Neighborly Questions:

Would you avoid or welcome living in a home with a homeowner's association or HOA? Why or why not?.....No it's not for me, I don't like the rules

What would make a neighbor's home or yard unattractive or unacceptable in your opinion?.....It doesn't matter to me, it's their house.

How do you feel about plastic pink flamingos? ...Bring them on

What websites do you almost always have open when you're online?....just this one

What would you donate to put in a time capsule to be opened decades from now?......A picture of our family

Congrats! Your book has hit the bestseller list. What's it about?...I would be a horror story, probably about a killer in the back seat

Name an old-fashioned occupation almost no one has anymore....I'm lost, how about stage coach driver

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat __chasing a mouse___________________."

Foodie Qs:
Frosty mug of rootbeer or a rootbeer float? ....Mug of rootbeer

Would you try rootbeer or cola flavored ice cream?....Yes

What unusual or funny ice cream flavor do you think should be made at least once?...jalapeno

Old 07-08-2015, 11:27 PM

21,678 posts, read 8,823,865 times
Would you avoid or welcome living in a home with a homeowner's association or HOA? Why or why not?
I have mixed feelings. Homeowner's associations take care of things I'd rather not do such as landscaping, but they can be petty and tyrannical from what I've heard.
What would make a neighbor's home or yard unattractive or unacceptable in your opinion?
Cars parked on the lawn, junk in the yard, weeds, peeling paint, dirty windows, loud music or arguments, vicious dogs.
They can be fun and campy if displayed in an ironic way.
None, but I use City-Data and Google a lot.
A newspaper.
A woman who was raised as a latchkey kid without much guidance or emotional support grows up, makes a lot of mistakes, but eventually finds her way.
Shoemaker

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat who
is being a pain in the butt and annoying people."(Can you tell that I'm not a cat person?)

Foodie Qs:
Frosty mug. I miss those A&W drive ins.
Yes, but I think those flavors would be better as ices.
What unusual or funny ice cream flavor do you think should be made at least once?
Cinnamon Roll
[Edited to add some funny ones Mr. Bay came up with when I told him about this question:]
Potato au Gratin
Pepper Crunch
Milk of Magnesia
Bacon and Eggs
Cough Drop
Meatloaf
Tunafish

Nice photo. Thanks, bjh!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 07-08-2015 at 11:42 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 12:02 AM

16,759 posts, read 17,529,149 times
Morning bjh and all.

We did live in an HOA controlled community. There were pluses and minuses. Overall I'd say that it suited more elderly inhabitants rather than younger families. Would I live in one again? Not sure.

Overall it stems from lack of consideration for others.

How do you feel about plastic pink flamingos? Not my cup of tea, but they never did me any harm.

What websites do you almost always have open when you're online? BBC, CD, a French property site.

What would you donate to put in a time capsule to be opened decades from now? Me.

Congrats! Your book has hit the bestseller list. What's it about? It's a puzzle as I don't recall writing it! Maybe one about the historic house where I work.

Name an old-fashioned occupation almost no one has anymore. Cooper

England's only master cooper predicts demise of barrel making - Telegraph

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat with a ping pong ball."

Foodie Qs:
Frosty mug of rootbeer or a rootbeer float? Neither

Would you try rootbeer or cola flavored ice cream? Neither

What unusual or funny ice cream flavor do you think should be made at least once? Earl Grey tea.

Thanks bjh.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:17 AM

39,130 posts, read 23,119,490 times
Would you avoid or welcome living in a home with a homeowner's association or HOA? No! Why or why not? Too many rules to follow plus I resent being told what to do with my property.

What would make a neighbor's home or yard unattractive or unacceptable in your opinion? Unkept yard (lawn not mowed, tall weeds growing, litter, etc.) and having "junk" cars parked in the front leaking oil all over.

What websites do you almost always have open when you're online? Facebook, Twitter and sometimes Wikipedia and YouTube.

What would you donate to put in a time capsule to be opened decades from now? An Apple watch or Google glasses.

Congrats! Your book has hit the bestseller list. What's it about? How to remain calm during a crisis.

Name an old-fashioned occupation almost no one has anymore. Shoe shiner.

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat napping."

Foodie Qs:
Frosty mug of rootbeer or a rootbeer float? Root beer float.

Would you try rootbeer or cola flavored ice cream? Sure! They'd most likely taste like a float.

What unusual or funny ice cream flavor do you think should be made at least once? Cotton candy.

Enjoy your Thursday! The weekend beckons...

Old 07-09-2015, 01:01 AM

11,428 posts, read 9,361,532 times
Since I live in an apartment...

What would make a neighbor's home or yard unattractive or unacceptable in your opinion? - Loud children and barking dogs are the first things that come to my mind. Unkept property is another.

How do you feel about plastic pink flamingos? Neutral.

What websites do you almost always have open when you're online? - Skype and City-Data. That's it.

What would you donate to put in a time capsule to be opened decades from now? - Details of this bad healthcare law that is preventing me from getting "affordable" health insurance.

Congrats! Your book has hit the bestseller list. What's it about? - Atheism. Better stop there...

Name an old-fashioned occupation almost no one has anymore. - In the United States - garment workers.

Passing on the "cat" question.

Foodie Qs:
Frosty mug of rootbeer or a rootbeer float? - Just the root beer. Although I seldom have it.

Would you try rootbeer or cola flavored ice cream? - Doubtful.

What unusual or funny ice cream flavor do you think should be made at least once? - D/K.

Thanks, bjh.
Happy Thursday to all!

Old 07-09-2015, 01:13 AM

7,998 posts, read 5,435,750 times
[/u]Would you avoid or welcome living in a home with a homeowner's association or HOA? Why or why not?
No I would not want it. But living in a town with good city ordinances is a good thing. Our town is on top of things if people neglect their grass, trash, store boats and such in their front lawns and the such.

What would make a neighbor's home or yard unattractive or unacceptable in your opinion? Not tending to their yard.

What websites do you almost always have open when you're online? I am a one at a time girl.

Congrats! Your book has hit the bestseller list. What's it about? Travel

Name an old-fashioned occupation almost no one has anymore. Developing regular camera rolled film.

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat sleeping on a window sill."

Foodie Qs:

Today Includes:
Nunavut Day, province of Canada Hmmm, will have to look this up
Sugar Cookie Day My favorite cookie

This Week Includes:
Freedom Week
Farriers Week
Nude Recreation Week will skip celebrating this one

Have a happy Thursday!

Old 07-09-2015, 01:33 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,206,341 times
Hello, everyone! Sit back, relax, and let's have some fun with . . .

Hi

Avoid and because...

I don't know.

I don't care about them.

CD that's it, and YouTube...

Nothing.

A girl. A broken heart. A bridge. The end.

If the author took chilling pills to write her story then it's more something like

A girl. A broken heart. A bridge. The love of her life who come suddenly in the picture. The end.

Didn't I told you it was very cliché ? No...

Too bad ...

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat in a shower."

Foodie Qs:

Ham baguette ice cream...

Today in History:
869 A magnitude 8.6 earthquake and subsequent tsunami struck Honshu, Japan
1386 Battle of Sempach helped form Swtizerland from Austria
1816 Argentina declared independence from Spain
1850 US President Zachary Taylor died of illness, making Millard Fillmore president
1877 Wimbledon tennis championships began in England
1900 Queen Victoria gave Royal Assent to the uniting of Australia's separate colonies into one government
1922 Johnny Weissmuller swam 100 m. freestyle in 58.6 seconds, breaking the world record & the 'minute barrier'
1958 Lituya Bay, Alaska hit by a megatsunami recorded at 30-91 m. high, the largest in recorded history
---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lituya_Bay
1981 Video game "Donkey Kong" released, the debut of Nintendo's future mascot, Mario
1993 Canada established the province of Nunavut from the Northwest Territories

Today's Pithy Quote:
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you.
This is the principal difference between dogs and humans."
~ Mark Twain, author

Today’s Word:
tenderfoot [TEN-der-foo t] noun, plural tenderfoots, tenderfeet
1. a raw, inexperienced person; a novice
2. a newcomer to the ranching and mining regions of the western US, unused to hardships
Origin: from at least 1860s; US equivalent of what in Great Britain was generally called a "greenhand"

Today Includes:
Nunavut Day, province of Canada
Sugar Cookie Day

This Week Includes:
Freedom Week
Farriers Week
Nude Recreation Week

Have a law-abiding Thursday!
The same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics