Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 04:26 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,185,374 times

Advertisements

welcome, keep the abandoned cars off the yards
an abandoned car on blocks
trendy
nothing really, i bounce around town...
a zip drive 1/38 full
mystery
cobbler, blacksmith
with a ball of yarn

float
nope
chocolate cheesecake ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 05:31 AM

126,373 posts, read 19,139,413 times
Hello, everyone! Sit back, relax, and let's have some fun with . . .

Today's Neighborly Questions:
Would you avoid or welcome living in a home with a homeowner's association or HOA? Why or why not? I do not know what that is so I can not comment on it

What would make a neighbor's home or yard unattractive or unacceptable in your opinion? dog poop all over on their lawn,had neighbors like that and the smell is awful

How do you feel about plastic pink flamingos?

What websites do you almost always have open when you're online? one at a time

What would you donate to put in a time capsule to be opened decades from now? I have no clue

Congrats! Your book has hit the bestseller list. What's it about? a cooking book with Punjabi,Austrian and Bavarian cuisine and cake recipes

Name an old-fashioned occupation almost no one has anymore.Tinker (Repairer of pots and pans )

Someone asked if last week's "Happy as a dog . . . with a bone, etc." question could be a cat, so here ya go.

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat curled up on a comfy sofa and purring ."

Foodie Qs:
Frosty mug of rootbeer or a rootbeer float? no thank you don't like the taste

Would you try rootbeer or cola flavored ice cream?

What unusual or funny ice cream flavor do you think should be made at least once?

Today in History:
869 A magnitude 8.6 earthquake and subsequent tsunami struck Honshu, Japan
1386 Battle of Sempach helped form Swtizerland from Austria
1816 Argentina declared independence from Spain
1850 US President Zachary Taylor died of illness, making Millard Fillmore president
1877 Wimbledon tennis championships began in England
1900 Queen Victoria gave Royal Assent to the uniting of Australia's separate colonies into one government
1922 Johnny Weissmuller swam 100 m. freestyle in 58.6 seconds, breaking the world record & the 'minute barrier'
1958 Lituya Bay, Alaska hit by a megatsunami recorded at 30-91 m. high, the largest in recorded history
---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lituya_Bay
1981 Video game "Donkey Kong" released, the debut of Nintendo's future mascot, Mario
1993 Canada established the province of Nunavut from the Northwest Territories

Today's Pithy Quote:
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you.
This is the principal difference between dogs and humans."
~ Mark Twain, author

Today’s Word:
tenderfoot [TEN-der-foo t] noun, plural tenderfoots, tenderfeet
1. a raw, inexperienced person; a novice
2. a newcomer to the ranching and mining regions of the western US, unused to hardships
Origin: from at least 1860s; US equivalent of what in Great Britain was generally called a "greenhand"

Today Includes:
Constitution Day, Australia
Nunavut Day, province of Canada
Sugar Cookie Day

This Week Includes:
Freedom Week
Farriers Week
Nude Recreation Week

Today's Nostalgia Picture:
Toronto, 1924, a cop walks kids across a rainy street.

Photo made publicly available by City of Toronto Archives.

Have a law-abiding Thursday!

Thank you bjh

Old 07-09-2015, 05:48 AM

36,478 posts, read 16,077,909 times
Would you avoid or welcome living in a home with a homeowner's association or HOA? Why or why not?
Hopefully never, always lived rural.
What would make a neighbor's home or yard unattractive or unacceptable in your opinion?
Constantly barking dogs, trash, too many vehicles, loud parties, aguments, unkempt yards, .....

What websites do you almost always have open when you're online? FB, CD, Gmail, homepage.

What would you donate to put in a time capsule to be opened decades from now? Hmm, I don't think I want anyone to know what's happening now in our country

Congrats! Your book has hit the bestseller list. What's it about? My Mom.

Name an old-fashioned occupation almost no one has anymore. Milkman.

Someone asked if last week's "Happy as a dog . . . with a bone, etc." question could be a cat, so here ya go.

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat _, my George catching a bird____________________."

Foodie Qs:
Frosty mug of rootbeer or a rootbeer float? Float

Would you try rootbeer or cola flavored ice cream? Hmm, no

What unusual or funny ice cream flavor do you think should be made at least once? Chocolate Chili

Old 07-09-2015, 06:14 AM

37,816 posts, read 41,116,416 times
Would you avoid or welcome living in a home with a homeowner's association or HOA? Why or why not?

Avoid because I would 1) not use the amenities I'd be paying for and 2) don't like people I don't know or care about telling me what I can and can't do with something I own. I rent. I have a lease. It's spelled out on the lease. No surprises. No pain in the ass neighbors minding my business. If I made a mistake moving there, I'm gone at the end of a year.

What would make a neighbor's home or yard unattractive or unacceptable in your opinion?

Rent in an apartment complex. The outside landscaping is taken care of by the complex. The outside maintenance is taken care of by the complex. The lease says you can't park vehicles cars in the complex unless the car is registered. Oversized vehicles (like an RV or boat trailer or company van) are parked in a specific location on the grounds.

No opinion and I've never even seen a live one. Wouldn't care if someone else liked them.

What websites do you almost always have open when you're online?

Google is my homepage. That, Drudge Report, CD and Picasa are most likely to be minimalized but not always or a lot.

What would you donate to put in a time capsule to be opened decades from now?

Beats me. I'd be more likely to let someone younger take my place.

Congrats! Your book has hit the bestseller list. What's it about?

Wildlife refuges.

Name an old-fashioned occupation almost no one has anymore.

Typesetter.

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat _____________________."

Foodie Qs:
Frosty mug of rootbeer or a rootbeer float?
either

Would you try rootbeer or cola flavored ice cream? try? yes.

What unusual or funny ice cream flavor do you think should be made at least once?

Asking the wrong person. I go into Baskin Robbins and still order chocolate.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:29 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,618,924 times
Mornin' all!

I would avoid it like the plague! I would like to have a home with just a little bit of property, like an acre or three.

Junk, untidiness.

If I had a neighbor who had them in their yard, I would smile every time I saw them! I am easily amused.

Usually something I didn't finish from the day before.

It would be a story about how wonderful it was to grow up in a family that was "different."

My mom was a stenographer when she was young. Does anyone do that any more?

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat _in the sun_."

Foodie Qs:
Not a root beer person.

I'd give either one a try. It's just ice cream.

I would love to see blackberry ice cream be commercially available.

Today in History:
869 A magnitude 8.6 earthquake and subsequent tsunami struck Honshu, Japan
1386 Battle of Sempach helped form Swtizerland from Austria
1816 Argentina declared independence from Spain
1850 US President Zachary Taylor died of illness, making Millard Fillmore president
1877 Wimbledon tennis championships began in England
1900 Queen Victoria gave Royal Assent to the uniting of Australia's separate colonies into one government
1922 Johnny Weissmuller swam 100 m. freestyle in 58.6 seconds, breaking the world record & the 'minute barrier'
1958 Lituya Bay, Alaska hit by a megatsunami recorded at 30-91 m. high, the largest in recorded history
---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lituya_Bay
1981 Video game "Donkey Kong" released, the debut of Nintendo's future mascot, Mario
1993 Canada established the province of Nunavut from the Northwest Territories

Today's Pithy Quote:
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you.
This is the principal difference between dogs and humans."
~ Mark Twain, author

Today’s Word:
tenderfoot [TEN-der-foo t] noun, plural tenderfoots, tenderfeet
1. a raw, inexperienced person; a novice
2. a newcomer to the ranching and mining regions of the western US, unused to hardships
Origin: from at least 1860s; US equivalent of what in Great Britain was generally called a "greenhand"

Today Includes:
Constitution Day, Australia
Nunavut Day, province of Canada
Sugar Cookie Day

This Week Includes:
Freedom Week
Farriers Week
Nude Recreation Week

Today's Nostalgia Picture:
Toronto, 1924, a cop walks kids across a rainy street.

Photo made publicly available by City of Toronto Archives.

Have a law-abiding Thursday!
Thanx for being neighborly this morning bjh.
Have a good Thorsday everyone!

Old 07-09-2015, 07:33 AM

2,292 posts, read 1,438,666 times

Probably avoid.

Junk piled, not mowed, no effort in making it look nice whatsoever, offensive paraphernalia for the sake of being offensive.

Indifferent.

YouTube, news sites, Twitter. Whatever I'm into at the moment.

I don't know, but I have a time capsule in the ground right now that's way past its opening date.

Unrelated chapters of nonsense because I got bored writing the previous chapter.

Something using typewriters.

Someone asked if last week's "Happy as a dog . . . with a bone, etc." question could be a cat, so here ya go. Was that me who asked?

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat in a cardboard box.

Foodie Qs:

Mug of root beer.

Neither.

I'm not big on ice cream.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:34 AM

7,395 posts, read 5,509,649 times

Would you avoid or welcome living in a home with a homeowner's association or HOA? Why or why not? no. I would not want someone telling how or how to not decorate my property.

What would make a neighbor's home or yard unattractive or unacceptable in your opinion? a bunch of junk in the yard. Grass not cut.

How do you feel about plastic pink flamingos? I think they are tacky.

What websites do you almost always have open when you're online? Facebook, email, weather, CD.

What would you donate to put in a time capsule to be opened decades from now? Ipod with songs.

Name an old-fashioned occupation almost no one has anymore. shoe cobbler

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat with catnip."

Foodie Qs:
Frosty mug of rootbeer or a rootbeer float? float

Would you try rootbeer or cola flavored ice cream? yes

Old 07-09-2015, 07:43 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,570,735 times

I probably wouldn't avoid it, but I'd need a house first

Parking a Ford Crown Victoria in it

In the yard, no; in my SIMS yard, yes

My company's intranet, looking for job postings

An item that looks like uranium, just to freak people out when they open it again

How to exercise and not lose weight

Town crier

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat
in a hat."

Foodie Qs:
Depends on my mood

Sure

Hotdog

Have a great day, everyone.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:29 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,238,042 times
Absolutely avoid. I hate the idea of them.
Excessive amounts of junk. Some people a few houses up the street had this in their yard, and the people across the street were calling the county about it constantly. Turns out the junk was from a contracting business they were running out of their house without a license. Along with the fact that they still hadn't registered their truck in MD, despite the fact they had been there for over a year, they were kicked out by the landlord.
I don't mind them. Some people up the street from us are semi obsessed with them. Their yard does look quite nice, though.
Google, Consumerist, and City-Data
A newspaper from today and, if I had one, a selfie stick. People from the future would be mystified about what this strange device is.
Probably about gambling, I know a lot about odds and strategies to reduce the house edge.
Blacksmith

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat With a big bowl of cat food."
That would make my cat very happy, but if she was fed every time she started yowling for food, she'd easily break the record for world's heaviest cat.

Foodie Qs:
Neither
Neither
No idea

Old 07-09-2015, 09:43 AM

54,500 posts, read 33,914,523 times
Would you avoid or welcome living in a home with a homeowner's association or HOA? Why or why not? - Hmm.. I associate with a lot my neighbors.. so I guess that's a Home Owner's Association.. right? - Actually, I would NEVER live in a HOA neighborhood, it's basically paying high monthly fees for a dictator to tell you what to do..

What would make a neighbor's home or yard unattractive or unacceptable in your opinion? - Me.. standing in it... - Just the usual things like tall weeds, uncut grass, junk/trash in the yards.. Hey wait a minute.. that sounds like my front yard... (Just kidding)

How do you feel about plastic pink flamingos? - They make good targets to shoot at!

What websites do you almost always have open when you're online? - Take a guess.. and don't worry, it's NOT Victoria's Secret web site...

What would you donate to put in a time capsule to be opened decades from now? - Nothing I own.. that would definitely make the people in the future wonder about us...

Congrats! Your book has hit the bestseller list. What's it about? - It wouldn't be a cooking book, that's for sure... or one titled "How To Find a Good Wife"... that's for sure!

Name an old-fashioned occupation almost no one has anymore. - Door-to-door salesmen?

Please complete the following, "Happy as a cat A Happy Cat? Is there such a thing?

Foodie Qs:
Frosty mug of rootbeer or a rootbeer float? - Did somebody say Beer? - Neither, I liked rootbeer when I was a kid, but can't drink it now..

Would you try rootbeer or cola flavored ice cream? - A What? That sounds like something messy.. - No.

What unusual or funny ice cream flavor do you think should be made at least once? - Hmm.. I remember one odd flavor, it was Bubble Gum-flavored ice cream.. It took a long time to chew it for some reason..

Thanks for the questions BJH, and a Happy Thursday everyone... It is Thursday.. isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics