Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 02:23 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,457,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
Current outstanding balance of £38,650
Wow...... that's a lot of money Zola. When I was young, university education was free, plus grants given also for books and such. I understand that there are far more people going to university than in my day, and it costs a lot of money to educate them. But, the argument was back then, that even though it cost a lot to educate folks in university, they get good jobs, and pay a lot of income tax in their lifetimes. That is what used to be the argument with free university education, and for me, it still stands true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 02:25 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,083,909 times
Quote:
Current outstanding balance of £38,650
Bloody hell! What is that for altogether?!

To be fair, parents have 18 years notice to save up for their kids to go to Uni. I have a Trust Fund for my daughter, that I started when she was born. I still have a lot to save up though, it seems!!

Old 07-19-2016, 02:29 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,083,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Wow...... that's a lot of money Zola. When I was young, university education was free, plus grants given also for books and such. I understand that there are far more people going to university than in my day, and it costs a lot of money to educate them. But, the argument was back then, that even though it cost a lot to educate folks in university, they get good jobs, and pay a lot of income tax in their lifetimes. That is what used to be the argument with free university education, and for me, it still stands true.
Yes, when I went courses were free and they actually paid me to go, with a grant!

Old 07-19-2016, 02:29 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,575,114 times
Quote:
Leave off Dave...... You're a secret millionaire you are LOL

No it's a hard one I've got a trade and earn well but obviously have to graft for my bread and have the scars/X-rays to prove it!

But you're encouraged to study and you work really hard to get a degree and even a masters like lady Zola you not only struggle whilst at university but then for years to come

A degree is brilliant and it's well worth having of course but there shouldn't be the ongoing hassles that she will have

My heart goes out to students if honest

Old 07-19-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Yes, when I went courses were free and they actually paid me to go, with a grant!
I think a few medical ones still do that? Radiography/nursing etc

Old 07-19-2016, 02:31 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,127,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Bloody hell! What is that for altogether?!

To be fair, parents have 18 years notice to save up for their kids to go to Uni. I have a Trust Fund for my daughter, that I started when she was born. I still have a lot to save up though, it seems!!
Thanks all!

It's just the way things are i suppose. Although I would like to think my honours degree in IT was worth it (which it is because I got a job in IT!) But paying off that debt will take a very long time (I'll be 43 by the time I clear it, unless I make over payments, or get some of it written off)

Ho hum, I could always go on the game and earn an extra couple of quid a week I suppose, lol

Anyway, I need a lukewarm shower, a good lathering; and to dry off in the late evening coolness in my garden, perhaps with a Bailey's Irish Cream for company

Old 07-19-2016, 02:41 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,457,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Leave off Dave...... You're a secret millionaire you are LOL

No it's a hard one I've got a trade and earn well but obviously have to graft for my bread and have the scars/X-rays to prove it!
I am just a little old pensioner struggling to pay my bills............ honest.........

You earn your corn LC with physical effort. Every penny you get, you deserve.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I am just a little old pensioner struggling to pay my bills............ honest.........

You earn your corn LC with physical effort. Every penny you get, you deserve.
LOL!!!! Days out on the beach.... Sipping Bacardi and cokes...... Knew sir roger Moore was about right! LOL

Yeah but!!!!! The more you earn...... The more you spend

I often think I should settle down with a Richard the third as I had a fortune saved up from not out birding it and pissing it up the wall

And I say this as my ex was Italian and often bought Cartier, Louis Vuitton gifts! And was still far better off! ..... lol just shows what a good social life in London actually costs

Old 07-19-2016, 03:16 PM

18,969 posts, read 11,634,692 times
Quote:
No think about londoncowboy30 and THEN work is what's best!!! 😂😂😂😂

The O2 Is easy as sin to get to....... About 30-40 minutes from central London max! m

Give us a shout later and we'll go through it
Of course I do - that's a given - always think of you first, then everything else
Quote:
Hot and humid office environment, coupled with the odours of various Microwaved soups, curries and Noodles from colleagues , doesn't make for a pleasant experience
Oooo I bet but, even so, now I could go for some curry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Oh I think I know that brithday

Thinking about.....when my AC will be fixed........again
You sure do birthday twin!
Quote:
Wheres our stick of rock Dave? ......

Me, star, lady Zola, bec..... Etc etc
Me too! Considered Brighton for a day out but probably not. Just too many things to choose from - can't possibly do everything this time. Thats why no O2 also - plan to go to Greenwich and the Docklands, though - I know O2 isn't much further.

Now thinking about the curry I won't have tonight

Old 07-19-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Of course I do - that's a given - always think of you first, then everything else

Oooo I bet but, even so, now I could go for some curry.

You sure do birthday twin!

Me too! Considered Brighton for a day out but probably not. Just too many things to choose from - can't possibly do everything this time. Thats why no O2 also - plan to go to Greenwich and the Docklands, though - I know O2 isn't much further.

Now thinking about the curry I won't have tonight
LOL it's actually in Greenwich/docklands

But whenever you are free for a hour or 30 minutes let me know and we'll go through EVERYTHING.... Plans, what's needed, travel arrangements the lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics