Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 12:16 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,963 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

A little light work today for your Wednesday Qs. Have fun!

Today's Question(s) :
If you could design a single room in your house from scratch, what room would you design, and what would it look like when you were finished?

Bonus Question(s):
Have you ever written a letter to the editor of your local newspaper, or other public opinion forum?

Just for Fun:
Do you know the song YMCA by The Village People? Have you ever done the dance where you use your arms to form the letters in the song? If so, where did you do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1979 YMCA files libel suit against Village People's YMCA song
Birthday: 1952 Geoffrey Canada, US Activist
Fun & Games: 1957 Wham-O Company produces the 1st Frisbee
Offbeat: 1981 Barbara Sonntag, Colorado, crochets record 147 stitches/minute for 1/2 hour
Science/Technology: 1906 1st radio set advertised (Telimco for $7.50 in Scientific American) claimed to receive signals up to one mile
Sports: 1995 America3 becomes 1st all-female crew to win an America's Cup race

Today’s Word: welter
Pronunciation: (WEL-tuhr)
Meaning: noun:
1. A confused mass; a jumble.
2. A state of upheaval.
verb intr.:
1. To roll, writhe, or toss.
2. To lie soaked in something, such as blood.
Etymology: From Middle Dutch welteren or Middle Low German weltern (to roll). Ultimately from the Indo-European root wel- (to turn or roll), which also gave us waltz, revolve, valley, walk, vault, volume, wallet, helix, devolve, and voluble.
Earliest documented use: 1400.

Today is:
International Skeptics Day
Make Your Dream Come True Day
National Peach Melba Day (United States)
National Sticker Day
Public Radio Broadcasting Day
Rubber Duckie Day

Quote of the Day:
"Convincing people to give your way a try will work if you neutralize - and sometimes you have to cauterize - the ones who really are against change. They're the kind of person who, if you tell them it's raining outside, they'll fight you tooth and nail." ~ Geoffrey Canada ~

Got a busy, stressful day ahead of me today, so please hold my family and I in your thoughts.
Have a good day everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 12:28 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s) :
If you could design a single room in your house from scratch, what room would you design, and what would it look like when you were finished?
Either the kitchen or bedroom. I'd have to take pictures.

Bonus Question(s):
Have you ever written a letter to the editor of your local newspaper, or other public opinion forum?

Just for Fun:
Do you know the song YMCA by The Village People? Have you ever done the dance where you use your arms to form the letters in the song? If so, where did you do it?

Yes, I know the song but not a chance of me dancing to it.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1979 YMCA files libel suit against Village People's YMCA song
Offbeat: 1981 Barbara Sonntag, Colorado, crochets record 147 stitches/minute for 1/2 hour
Science/Technology: 1906 1st radio set advertised (Telimco for $7.50 in Scientific American) claimed to receive signals up to one mile

2. A state of upheaval.
verb intr.:
Etymology: From Middle Dutch welteren or Middle Low German weltern (to roll). Ultimately from the Indo-European root wel- (to turn or roll), which also gave us waltz, revolve, valley, walk, vault, volume, wallet, helix, devolve, and voluble.

Today is:
National Sticker Day
Rubber Duckie Day

Quote of the Day:
"Convincing people to give your way a try will work if you neutralize - and sometimes you have to cauterize - the ones who really are against change. They're the kind of person who, if you tell them it's raining outside, they'll fight you tooth and nail." ~ Geoffrey Canada ~

Got a busy, stressful day ahead of me today, so please hold my family and I in your thoughts.
Thanks PatsCats! I will.

Last edited by SATX56; 01-13-2016 at 12:37 AM..

Old 01-13-2016, 12:41 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Today's Question(s) :
If you could design a single room in your house from scratch, what room would you design, and what would it look like when you were finished? We've already done that, It's an entertainment room with a theater like setting with theater curtains and a surround sound 7 speaker system. Hooked up to it are Panasonic Plasma TV, CD/DVD player, VHS player and cassette player. Movie posters and other movie items decorate the room.

Bonus Question(s):
Have you ever written a letter to the editor of your local newspaper, or other public opinion forum? Several times.

Just for Fun:
Do you know the song YMCA by The Village People? Yes.
Have you ever done the dance where you use your arms to form the letters in the song? Yes. If so, where did you do it? At an after corporate meeting/company party in the 70's.

Happy Wed everyone.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:58 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Good Morning!

Today's Question(s) :
If you could design a single room in your house from scratch, what room would you design, and what would it look like when you were finished?Redesign my Kitchen. Quartz counter tops, an island with a small sink, cabinets would be to the ceiling, larger window, .

Bonus Question(s):
Have you ever written a letter to the editor of your local newspaper, or other public opinion forum? In high school, wrote to Seventeen Magazine, it was published.

Just for Fun:
Do you know the song YMCA by The Village People? Have you ever done the dance where you use your arms to form the letters in the song? If so, where did you do it? Of course, I am a 70's girl!

Sending you good vibes.

Oh, it's a chilly one out there today, stay warm!

Old 01-13-2016, 01:16 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s) :
If you could design a single room in your house from scratch, what room would you design, and what would it look like when you were finished? A BIG bathroom with a big whirlpool tub, ample storage and good lighting, cheery colors, a sauna, and a TV positioned towards the tub.

Bonus Question(s):
Have you ever written a letter to the editor of your local newspaper, or other public opinion forum? Yes. And most were printed.

Just for Fun:
Do you know the song YMCA by The Village People? Have you ever done the dance where you use your arms to form the letters in the song? If so, where did you do it? Nope, never have. Seemed too cheerleader'ish to me.

Will do, Pats.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:18 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
If you could design a single room in your house from scratch, what room would you design, and what would it look like when you were finished? I have been slowly thinking of my two upstairs "b&b suites". One is already painted a very light, greyish white. The floor is painted the same color. On one end of the room is a window seat and double window and two built- in bookshelves. On the other end is the same size window, but no window seats. I want to keep this the serenity room, with very gentle colors. So, I'm thinking: on the plainer side of the room a double bed with antique white open metal head and footboard with a pale yellow mattelese bedspread. By the bed an oval hooked rug in pale yellows and blues. On the other side of this suite I'm thinking a pale blue comfy chair and ottoman and a small round table with two chairs painted pale yellow. And a variety of good books in the bookshelves. No TV, no computer. The other room I plan to be the artists' room, because it has a wall where the previous resident, an artist, tacked canvases to the wall and it is flecked with paint. I'll provide paints in various colors and encourage visitors to paint on that wall. And the bed and minimal furnishings should be very wild colors. I do have a bright red patio table with turqoise metal folding chairs which are intended for that room. No tv or computer in this room either. Which suite would you choose for a B&B stay?

Bonus Question(s):
Have you ever written a letter to the editor of your local newspaper, or other public opinion forum? Yes, often for work wrote open thank you letters to various volunteers and community members. I also had a weekly column in two very local papers. I only once wrote a negative blurblet about a local business which I didn't have to sign (that paper still has a weekly nasty comments column which is very popular) and I've deeply regretted it ever since.

Just for Fun:
Do you know the song YMCA by The Village People? Have you ever done the dance where you use your arms to form the letters in the song? If so, where did you do it? I do know the song, and remember singing it in a group with the arm motions but can't remember where for the life of me. Maybe only with someone/thing on tv???

Thanks for the questions, and Yes, I'll be thinking of your family today, Pat. Best wishes with everything.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:44 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
[

Today's Question(s) :
I would design a room on the ground level of our house, which is now a garage but there is space for a room and bath. I would like it to have French doors leading to the backyard. The room would have a sofabed, comforable overstuffed chairs, bookshelves, a mini-bar (sink, small fridge and microwave), a flat screen TV and a mini stereo system. It would be a guest suite and also a retreat where I could go to read, listen to music or just chill out.

Bonus Question(s):
No, I haven't done that myself, but I have seen letters published by people I've known.

Just for Fun:

I'm familiar with the song, but I didn't know there was a dance that went with it. I'm still trying to forget that I ever knew how to do the Macarena.

Thanks, Pat!

Old 01-13-2016, 02:25 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s) :
I'm bowing out on this as I sincerely hope to never have to do that again!

Bonus Question(s):

Just for Fun:
Do you know the song YMCA by The Village People?

Have you ever done the dance where you use your arms to form the letters in the song?
If so, where did you do it? Several places in years past

Today in History:

2. A state of upheaval.
verb intr.:

Today is:
National Sticker Day
Rubber Duckie Day

Quote of the Day:

Thanks PatsCats for Wednesday's QotD & of course, sending good thoughts to you & yours!

And wonderful Wednesday wishes being to all of you!

Sending out birthday wishes as well to my fellow Capricorns - animalcrazy, Elnina, Jezer, KiwiKate & PAhippo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjF1bG5LUcs

Old 01-13-2016, 03:52 AM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Good morning PC and all.

Today's Question(s) :

We designed a large extension to the house quite some time back. It consisted of a study, a big utility room, back porch, and an en-suite bedroom. It worked out pretty well.

Back in 2012 we had a major issue where a water pipe burst and as a result the kitchen interior was completely ripped out, and we started from scratch, even replacing the floor and window. It's far more modern than the one it replaced, with white units. The American pine units that we could salvage got put in that utility room, which looks great.

I'd quite like to design a house from scratch, maybe in France but Mrs J doesn't want the stress!

Bonus Question(s):

Local papers, even a national one which got published.

Just for Fun:

I did it, very badly, at one of Miss J's school discos. It was at her infant school- their first main school. She would have been about six years old and I was there as the chairman of the parent's group.

Thanks Pat.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:21 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s) :
I prefer Victorian but I've already done that before and it's time to move on so I would go more modern like I have in my living room - I've been redecorating it for a couple months it's turning out nice with pops of red, black, brown and tan.

Bonus Question(s):
Yes once. It didn't go so well, the stupid unprofessional guy couldn't take a little criticism about misspellings on the front page and put a write up in the paper slamming me. But that's backwards, backwoods, good 'ol boy po-dunk ignorance for ya.

Just for Fun:
Do you know the song YMCA by The Village People? yes
Have you ever done the dance where you use your arms to form the letters in the song? If so, where did you do it?
Yes a loooong time ago at home goofing around

Today in History:

2. A state of upheaval.
verb intr.:

Today is:
National Sticker Day
Rubber Duckie Day

Quote of the Day:

Thanks PC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics