Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 12:24 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,616,358 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Hoping this morning's Qs find you rested and ready to face the day. Or evening, depending on where you live. Take a few moments to think on these fun Qs.

Today's Question(s):
Have you ever seen a famous novelty attraction, such as the world's largest ball of twine, or Detroit's Giant Uniroyal Tire? If so, what have you seen and where did you see it?

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have a brush with fame, such as spontaneously seeing a celebrity at an airport, or getting an autograph? If so, who did you see, and where did you see them? If you got their autograph, was it at a scheduled event, such as a backstage pass at a concert?

Just for Fun:
What are three things that make you unique; three things that no single person you know has done?
"No one I know has done ___________, ___________, ***and*** ___________."

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 2003 Tony Awards, Hairspray, Take Me Out, Long Day's Journey Into Night revival and Nine revival won major awards
Birthday: 1943 Colin Baker, British actor
Human achievement: 2014 The world's oldest man, Alexander Imich, passes away at age 111 in New York; the oldest living woman is currently 116 years old and lives in Japan
Science/Technology: 1979 "The Source," 1st computer public information service, goes on-line
Sports: 2014 Maria Sharapova wins the French Open, beating Simona Halep; Sharapova has now won two French Open titles

Today’s Word:
purblind
Pronunciation: (PUHR-blynd)
Meaning: adjective:
1. Partially blind.
2. Lacking in understanding, insight, or vision.
Etymology: From pure + blind, meaning completely blind. Over time, the sense shifted to partially blind.
Earliest documented use: 1300.

Today is:
Best friends Day
Jelly-filled Donut Day
Nme Your Poison Day
National Caribbean American HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
Upsy Daisy Day
World Oceans Day

Quote of the Day:
"The longer I live, the more beautiful life becomes." ~ Frank Lloyd Wright ~ (U.S. architect, also born today 1867, d. April 9, 1959)

Have a good day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 12:33 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Today's Question(s):
Have you ever seen a famous novelty attraction, such as the world's largest ball of twine, or Detroit's Giant Uniroyal Tire? If so, what have you seen and where did you see it?
Not as much a novelty maybe, but I'll say the Saint Louis Arch. You can go up in it and look out observation windows.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have a brush with fame, such as spontaneously seeing a celebrity at an airport, or getting an autograph? If so, who did you see, and where did you see them? If you got their autograph, was it at a scheduled event, such as a backstage pass at a concert?
I recognized a semi-famous person while traveling once. I've been to some concerts, but never backstage.
No autographs from anyone. Autographs don't make sense to me.

Just for Fun:
What are three things that make you unique; three things that no single person you know has done?
Must not be that unique. I'd have to get really specific, like no one has worn my shirts but me.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:55 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,393,132 times
Good Morning!

Today's Question(s):
Have you ever seen a famous novelty attraction, such as the world's largest ball of twine, or Detroit's Giant Uniroyal Tire? If so, what have you seen and where did you see it? I saw L.L. Bean's famous giant boot at their flagship store in Freeport, Maine.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have a brush with fame, such as spontaneously seeing a celebrity at an airport, or getting an autograph? If so, [b]who did you see, and where did you see them? Every so often at work I will see a Celebrity. It depends on whether or not I ask for their autograph or photograph--I have only asked twice. I did see Flavor Flav---I have to give it to him that he was amazing with his fans. He wasn't trying to hide himself because he wore his "big clock" around his neck. He wanted the attention. He cracked me up--and yes, I did take a photograph with him! The other ones I don't want to mention because I did see them at work and they deserve their privacy.

Just for Fun:
I cannot go as far and say no other single person that I know has done it---but I have sadly had to watch my youngest son go through multiple major surgeries , spent a week in a Third World Country, spent a week in the USSR in the 70's. All life changing experiences.

Wishing you a wacky Wednesday!

Old 06-08-2016, 01:16 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Mornin' all!

Hoping this morning's Qs find you rested and ready to face the day. Or evening, depending on where you live. Take a few moments to think on these fun Qs.

Today's Question(s):

Bonus Question(s):
I ate at a table next to Waylon Jennings after seeing him perform at a dance. Got his autograph on a piece of paper. Shook hands with him. Met Lou Ferrigno and shook hands with him. Met Mike Ditka and Walt Garrison and shook hands with them and got autographed pics. Met Randy White and shook hands with him and got an autographed photo.

Just for Fun:
"No one I know has _married the same woman__________, _Had the same kids __________, ***and*** __grandkids_________."

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 2003 Tony Awards, Hairspray, Take Me Out, Long Day's Journey Into Night revival and Nine revival won major awards
Human achievement: 2014 The world's oldest man, Alexander Imich, passes away at age 111 in New York; the oldest living woman is currently 116 years old and lives in Japan
Science/Technology: 1979 "The Source," 1st computer public information service, goes on-line
Sports: 2014 Maria Sharapova wins the French Open, beating Simona Halep; Sharapova has now won two French Open titles

Today’s Word:
purblind
1. Partially blind.
Etymology: From pure + blind, meaning completely blind. Over time, the sense shifted to partially blind.

Today is:
Best friends Day
Jelly-filled Donut Day
Nme Your Poison Day
Upsy Daisy Day
World Oceans Day

Quote of the Day:
"The longer I live, the more beautiful life becomes." ~ Frank Lloyd Wright ~ (U.S. architect, also born today 1867, d. April 9, 1959)

Thanks PatsCats! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 06-08-2016 at 01:25 AM..

Old 06-08-2016, 01:16 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,611,912 times
Today's Question(s):
Have you ever seen a famous novelty attraction, such as the world's largest ball of twine, or Detroit's Giant Uniroyal Tire? If so, what have you seen and where did you see it? Now that you mention it, I've seen the Giant Tire, back when I was a kid. I've also seen the famous giant statues of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Big Blue Ox in Bemidji, MN. And I've seen the headwaters of the Mississippi River at nearby Lake Itasca, although some disagree that's the real source of the River.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have a brush with fame, such as spontaneously seeing a celebrity at an airport, or getting an autograph? If so, who did you see, and where did you see them? If you got their autograph, was it at a scheduled event, such as a backstage pass at a concert? President Obama came to the historic site where I worked and I got to welcome him and we had a short conversation. I was calm until he put his hand on my back, then for some reason that freaked me out and I froze up. I've also seen a variety of other celebrities when living in NYC and when working for Gene Autry (former President Gerald Ford, Roy and Dale Evans, etc. etc.) Richard Gere was in a limo that nearly ran me over when I was crossing 14th St. and 2nd Ave. in NYC and I've loathed him ever since.

Just for Fun:
"No one I know has _cataloged the Lone Ranger's "cup"__________, _cataloged Gary Cooper's toupee__________, ***and*** never drunk Cocoa Cola___________."

Thanks Pat! My cat Muttley is sleeping on my keyboard and making it hard to type. >..<

Old 06-08-2016, 01:19 AM

21,552 posts, read 8,733,710 times
Today's Question(s):
I've visited the Mystery Spot near Santa Cruz, California, where gravity seems to have gone haywire.

Bonus Question(s):
Yes, a few times. I rode in an elevator with Paul Simon, whose office was directly above my place of work in New York. I also spoke briefly on the telephone to Joan Crawford when she was trying to reach my boss. I was served Ben and Jerry's Wavy Gravy ice cream by Wavy Gravy himself. I've shaken hands with Merv Griffin. I was the camera operator when Robin Williams did a public service announcement for a San Francisco TV station. I met Luciano Pavarotti at a celebrity tennis tournament and had my photo taken with him. He kissed me!

I have never asked anyone for an autograph except Dustin Hoffman. I didn't meet him in person, but after I saw The Graduate I wrote him a fan letter at his home address in New York. (This was in early 1968, and he still had a listing in the NYC telephone directory.) I got an autographed photo of him as Benjamin Braddock. I still have it.

Just for Fun:
"No one I know has had their first teenage crush on a dead opera singer, been first the youngest child, then the middle child and then the oldest child in a family, ***and*** spent much of their childhood as a latchkey kid being raised by a single father, moving from place to place and changing schools 11 times in 12 years."

Thanks, PatsCats!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 06-08-2016 at 01:34 AM..

Old 06-08-2016, 03:55 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,250,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Have you ever seen a famous novelty attraction, such as the world's largest ball of twine, or Detroit's Giant Uniroyal Tire? If so, what have you seen and where did you see it? Several but I guess the Paul Bunyan and Blue OX statue in Minnesota was pretty interesting.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have a brush with fame, such as spontaneously seeing a celebrity at an airport, or getting an autograph? If so, who did you see, and where did you see them? If you got their autograph, was it at a scheduled event, such as a backstage pass at a concert? In my former LE career I often was around celebrities such as actors and sport stars. I was working a Faith Hill concert back in her early days and I found myself staring at her more than watching the crowd. We protected Burt Reynolds and Goldie Hawn while they filmed a movie and I worked with Tommy Lee Jones (Big jerk) amongst others. I've never cared for obtaining autographs as I don't see them as heroes. The one celebrity I did appreciate was Steven Tyler of Aerosmith. I was involved one year with helping at the annual Police Survivors picnic in DC and he showed up with NO media and signed autographs of everyone who wanted them and posed with everyone. My family was there and my daughter got 2 of his autographs. When he was leaving in an SUV (passenger) he leaned out the window and gave my daughter a high 5.

Just for Fun:
"No one I know has done ___________, ___________, ***and*** ___________." Can't really come up with anything.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
purblind
1. Partially blind.

Today is:
Best friends Day
Jelly-filled Donut Day
Nme Your Poison Day
Upsy Daisy Day
World Oceans Day

Quote of the Day:

Cheers

Old 06-08-2016, 04:19 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,151,833 times
south point, southern most point in the U.S.50
steve, joe, brad, and tom (aerosmith) at the beach

Old 06-08-2016, 04:44 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,871,532 times
Today's Question(s):
Have you ever seen a famous novelty attraction, such as the world's largest ball of twine, or Detroit's Giant Uniroyal Tire? If so, what have you seen and where did you see it? Can't think of anything.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have a brush with fame, such as spontaneously seeing a celebrity at an airport, or getting an autograph? If so, who did you see, and where did you see them? If you got their autograph, was it at a scheduled event, such as a backstage pass at a concert? Only at concerts as I usher at the Hopkins Center - Dartmouth.

Just for Fun:
"No one I know has taught for 42 years in the same school district & is planning on working at least two more years before retiring.

Today’s Word:
purblind
1. Partially blind.

Quote of the Day:

Have a good day everyone! Thanks!

Old 06-08-2016, 05:18 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,600,412 times
Have you ever seen a famous novelty attraction, such as the world's largest ball of twine, or Detroit's Giant Uniroyal Tire? If so, what have you seen and where did you see it?ive seen a number of these and forget most of them right now. The first to come to mind was the worlds largest teapot in West Virginia. It's house size. Oh also remember eating at the UFO diner somewhere in Canada

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have a brush with fame, such as spontaneously seeing a celebrity at an airport, or getting an autograph? If so, who did you see, and where did you see them? If you got their autograph, was it at a scheduled event, such as a backstage pass at a concert?many brushes with fame from local celebrities to world figures. Joe strummer threw me his disgustingly sweaty tshirt during The Clash show at the Stanley Theatre in Pittsburgh. Was thrilled to be noticed in the pit but grossed out by the shirt and basically tried to catch and release as fast as possible

Just for Fun:
"No one I know has done ___________, ___________, ***and*** ___________."caught joe strummers tshirt, gave away joe strummers tshirt, took over three decades til it dawned on her that that probably was an invitation to go backstage after the show. Innocent kid lol.

Have a great day all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics