Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 11:40 PM

539 posts, read 567,053 times

Advertisements

It's just past 4am, and you've been trying all night to fall asleep. Doesn't help that you watched a scary movie at midnight. So you spend the next couple hours bumming around City Data Forums. Just as you're beginning to doze off, WHACK a beetle hits you in the face and scares the crap out of you. Ugh. Ready to start the day.
^Happened last week. And here's another sleepless night. Anyone have related experiences/stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 11:43 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
I sometimes have quite a hard time sleeping.... Tonight is 1 of those nights

Old 08-22-2016, 12:29 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,572 times
I am generally a good sleeper; and it takes a lot to wake me up in the middle of the night. I have become accustomed to all the usual nightly sounds, from creaking floorboards to the hot water/central heating system shutting down/booting up.

However, there was one recent event that scared the life out of me! At some point in the middle of the night there was a local power cut. No idea how long it was offline because I was totally oblivious in sleep.

But at some point around 3:30am the engineers must have fixed the problem because all of a sudden my TVs (bedroom, living room, dining room) all came alive; along with my bedside clock radio alarm, PC and one or two lights.

Scared the heck out of me, as you might expect! For a second I recalled a scene from that old classic "Poltergeist" where the young girl communicates with a live tv in the middle of the night!

Took a couple of minutes to recover and switch everything off. But obviously I had no idea why it had happened until I eventually checked the web!

I keep all my TVs on standby mode, so I couldn't understand how after a power cut they could suddenly come back to life from being powered off? (I have no ups battery backup for the TVs or PC)

So now I have a power timer device that switches all my TVs off at source after a certain time. But whether that will prevent a repeat of the above I have no idea.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:31 AM

1,544 posts, read 925,071 times
Hell yes!

I was sleeping soundly one winter night when I heard fluttering noises in my trash (old papers and expired coupons). Turned out it was a cockroach, nasty six-legged son of a [bleep]. My sleep was ruined and I was more jittery than a Starbucks junkie.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:09 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
For most of the year my neighborhood is quiet during the night, and I sleep well. If I wake up it is because someone has come home very late in the night and slams their car door, or people walking in the street shouting goodbye to each other. That's it, and I fall back asleep.

One night I awoke because someone was pulling on my bed to frighten me, and I knew that a robber had broken in and I was to be robbed and worse. I shouted at the top of my lungs several times: STOP IT! STOP!....filled with rage, but very frightened.

And they did stop, and I'm in the dark thinking, "OMG, what now?! Can I run to the door in the dark?" My heart was pounding.

And suddenly they started again, and I shouted again.

The terror cleared my groggy brain at last. And I realized - You nincompoop that was the first shock of an earthquake, and now, bonehead, this is the followup, stronger one. And my bed is bouncing up and down like it is a carnival ride, and suddenly it's "OMG, get some clothes on!"

By this point I'm sitting on the edge of the bed terribly relieved that I am not being preyed upon by fiendish burglars, but butt-nekkid and too paralyzed by the reality of an earthquake to clothe my soon-to-be-corpse and possibly try to do something sensible.

And then nothing. It just stopped, no after-shocks. And I'm wondering why I didn't have a coronary, or is that next?

It was only 4.5, and caused no major damage...just the kind of good shake-up that I received.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:00 PM

539 posts, read 567,053 times
^
That's so crazy! I live in Michigan, so it's pretty earthquake free, we had one last year though, and in my 23 years it was my first experience, the whole apartment frame swayed I FELT IT, it was a very surreal moment. I thought i was crazy and needed a nap. Turns out it was an earthquake.
I couldn't imagine living in a place where natural disasters are a common thing

Old 08-22-2016, 02:46 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,839 times
5 days ago was a very sleepless night for me.

We had a big storm, and around 8:45 the power went out. The house quickly got unbearably hot. I didn't even try to go to sleep until almost 1 in the morning, knowing I'd never be able to get to sleep with my bedroom as hot as it was.

Around 2:30 AM the cable boxes started beeping incredibly loud. The battery backup finally kicked in, and they wouldn't stop beeping once a minute for 15 minutes or so. Not long after, the power finally came back on. I didn't get to sleep until after 3AM that day.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:57 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,646 times
I was sleeping fine last night until that coyote/fox/bobcat/whatever it was caught a rabbit just outside my bedroom windows.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:43 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Last winter I fell a sleep in the easy chair watching the tube.. some were around 11pm.. thinking some fat slob is up on the roof with 8 tinny reindeer tearing up my roof my feeble mind woke up... about that time I hear thud - boom- slam on my French doors to the porch.. Like S some thing or some one trying to break in.. peeped out the window. Dang deer slipping and sliding on the ice on the porch trying to get a free meal from the bird feeder...

Old 08-23-2016, 11:08 AM

274 posts, read 237,755 times
Sometimes just as I'm drifting to sleep, I nearly jump out of my skin because it sounds as if someone yells my name. It clearly isn't something external because my husband is still sleeping peacefully. Anyone else experience this? There's probably a scientific explanation, but no matter what the cause, I'm then wide awake and find it difficult to relax and try to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics