Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 04:42 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,991 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday August 29, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Has excavation ever been done on your property (such as for a septic tank, sewer line, or burying cables/wiring underground) ? Yes, for septic tanks and a leach field. Neighbors thought we were putting in a pool. I wish....

Extra Credit:
Do you see or encounter spider webs often ? Yes, they're beautiful.

Bonus:
Does one of your ears appear to stick out (from side of your head) more than the other ? Ha, no. Reminds me of the song, "Do your ears hang low? Do they wobble to and fro?"
Do your hands or feet have calluses ? Don't. Spending a week walking the beach took care of any calluses there might have been.
Do your elbows or knees feel rough on the outside ? I use coconut oil every night, so no rough patches.

Just for Fun:
Regarding clothing, do you have/wear items that are
-red ?
-orange ?
-yellow ?
-green ?
-blue ?
-purple ?
-brown/tan ?
-black ?
-gray ?
-white ?
-beige/cream ?
Have a few pieces in other colors, but mostly wear red, black & white.

Is there a particular color or type/group of colors (which you may otherwise like just fine) that you avoid wearing,
because you think it/they doesn’t look good on you ? Orange, Tan, Green

Have you ever seen a piece of clothing that made you think, with relief:
“wow, that looks like a lot of effort-glad I don’t have to put on, move around while wearing, or launder, that garment” ? Clothes ancestors wore. Layers under dresses.

2011: Tropical Storm Irene causes flooding in New England, decimating infrastructure (roads & utilities) and leaving many communities isolated for weeks Our old covered bridge washes away.

Today’s Word:
palatial /pəˈlāSHəl/ (adj.): Having the dimensions, resources, and style of a palace or castle. Large, grand, ornate, and opulent.

Today Is:
National Lemon Juice Day
International Day against Nuclear Tests (United Nations)
More Herbs, Less Salt Day
-and is part of-
World Water Week

Today’s Picture:

Entrance & exit are at center-

Thought for the Day:

“Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.”
-Scott Adams (unsure who said it first, has been variously attributed to all sorts of people)

Wishing all of you a cosmic, interstellar day
I will be sitting in an all day Professional Development meeting on math. Not cosmic or interstellar, I'm afraid. The kids start on Wednesday & then the fun begins!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 05:12 AM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times

Today’s Question:
Has excavation ever been done on your property (such as for a septic tank, sewer line, or burying cables/wiring underground) ? At one of our properties new TV cables had to be replaced

Extra Credit:
Do you see or encounter spider webs often ? This year not that much but I saw a beautiful one while hiking this summer. It was a good sized spider that had made a web from tree stem to tree stem ( trees were next to each other)

Bonus:
Does one of your ears appear to stick out (from side of your head) more than the other ? Nope
Do your hands or feet have calluses ? Not yet
Do your elbows or knees feel rough on the outside ? No at the moment smooth

Just for Fun:
-red ? Yes
-orange ? yes
-yellow ? yes
-green ? Yes
-blue ? Yes
-purple ? yes
-brown/tan ? Yes
-black ? Yes
-gray ? No
-white ? Yes
-beige/cream ? yes

Is there a particular color or type/group of colors (which you may otherwise like just fine) that you avoid wearing,
because you think it/they doesn’t look good on you ? a few pastel colors and grey

“wow, that looks like a lot of effort-glad I don’t have to put on, move around while wearing, or launder, that garment” ? Not really

Today in History:
1898: In Ohio, founding of the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
1938: Birth of actor Elliott Gould (M*A*S*H)
1947: Birth of author Temple Grandin (“Thinking in Pictures”, “Animals in Translation”)
1958: Birth of comedian & actor Lenworth “Lenny” Henry (Chef!, Comic Relief UK)
1959: Birth of actress Rebecca De Mornay (Risky Business)
1963: Birth of singer-songwriter Elizabeth Fraser (Cocteau Twins, Massive Attack)
1965: NASA’s Gemini 5 manned spacecraft lands, after 8 days in low Earth orbit
1982: The element (doesn’t occur in nature) Meitnerium (atomic no. 109) is first synthesized in a German laboratory
2005: Hurricane Katrina makes second landfall in Louisiana, then again on its border with Mississippi, wreaking havoc with storm surges and tornadoes, causing casualties as well as destroying property
2011: Tropical Storm Irene causes flooding in New England, decimating infrastructure (roads & utilities) and leaving many communities isolated for weeks

Today’s Word:
palatial /pəˈlāSHəl/ (adj.): Having the dimensions, resources, and style of a palace or castle. Large, grand, ornate, and opulent.

Today Is:
National Lemon Juice Day
-and is part of-
World Water Week

Today’s Picture: great maze cloven

Thought for the Day:
“Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.”
-Scott Adams (unsure who said it first, has been variously attributed to all sorts of people)

Thank you cloven and a good Monday everyone

Old 08-29-2016, 05:40 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,694,782 times

Today’s Question:
Has excavation ever been done on your property (such as for a septic tank, sewer line, or burying cables/wiring underground) ? No.

Extra Credit:
Do you see or encounter spider webs often ? Just one in the basement above the washer on the window sill.

Bonus:
Does one of your ears appear to stick out (from side of your head) more than the other ? No.
Do your hands or feet have calluses ? Sort of like on one foot.
Do your elbows or knees feel rough on the outside ? No.

Just for Fun:
-red ?
-orange ?
-yellow ?
-green ?
-blue ?
-purple ?
-brown/tan ? Once in awhile
-black ?
-gray ? Once in a while
-white ?
-beige/cream ?

because you think it/they doesn’t look good on you ? I do not wear light color pants or jeans.

“wow, that looks like a lot of effort-glad I don’t have to put on, move around while wearing, or launder, that garment” ? A corset.

Today in History:
1947: Birth of author Temple Grandin (“Thinking in Pictures”, “Animals in Translation”)
1963: Birth of singer-songwriter Elizabeth Fraser (Cocteau Twins, Massive Attack)
1982: The element (doesn’t occur in nature) Meitnerium (atomic no. 109) is first synthesized in a German laboratory
2005: Hurricane Katrina makes second landfall in Louisiana, then again on its border with Mississippi, wreaking havoc with storm surges and tornadoes, causing casualties as well as destroying property
2011: Tropical Storm Irene causes flooding in New England, decimating infrastructure (roads & utilities) and leaving many communities isolated for weeks

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Lemon Juice Day
-and is part of-
World Water Week

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:

Wishing all of you a cosmic, interstellar day [/quote]

Old 08-29-2016, 05:48 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
Happy Monday Everyone!

Today’s Question:
Has excavation ever been done on your property (such as for a septic tank, sewer line, or burying cables/wiring underground) ?No

Extra Credit:
Do you see or encounter spider webs often ?Yes. While I am not overly fond of spiders, I can definitely see the beauty in their webs. I just wish they didn't feel the need to make them right in my walking path. Years ago, I took my daughter camping in Florida and we encountered some pretty big spiders (I believe the natives called them Banana spiders). The size of those spiders freaked me out and the fact that every trail we walked on had webs built right down the middle between trees freaked me out.

Bonus:
Does one of your ears appear to stick out (from side of your head) more than the other ?I don't think so. When I was younger I actually lost part of my ear when my sister and I decided to play frisbee in the house and I jumped off the couch and hit my head on the marble coffee table. It sliced off part of my ear.
Do your hands or feet have calluses ?No.
Do your elbows or knees feel rough on the outside ?No

Just for Fun:
-red ?The tshirt I got when my husband and I competed in the Urban Dare Race a few years ago.
-orange ?no
-yellow ?no
-green ?no
-blue ?the spider stitch shawl I made (it is actually more teal)
-purple ?no
-brown/tan ?no
-black ?I'm Jamie Lee Curtis in this sense, because 99% of my clothing is black. It's easier and I don't have to think about it. Black pants, black shirts, black bras, black underwear....you get the point.
-gray ?The other 1% of clothing I own
-white ?NEVER
-beige/cream ?My wedding dress from 1994. It is a beautiful cream. Size 4. I bought it for $100.

because you think it/they doesn’t look good on you ?My wardrobe is Black and Grey. I pretty much avoid colors in my main wardrobe. The only colors I wear (blues and greens) are things that I crochet (shawls, hats, scarves, cowls, gloves.)

“wow, that looks like a lot of effort-glad I don’t have to put on, move around while wearing, or launder, that garment” ?Anything worn on the red carpet events. While I can appreciate the beautiful clothing and the thought that goes behind the whole look, I could never wear anything I see there. I also feel that way about how women use to dress to the nines back in the 40's and 50's. Women always looked so put together. The effort that it must have to took to look good all the time is amazing.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:15 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Hands or feet callous, well I can't say that but I don't have baby soft hands, most of my lifelong jobs have been physical labor type, so they're not as soft as normal ladies should be. I actually like some roughness in men's hands. ✋
Clothes, well, I don't do pastels or lighter colors, most of mine are black or another dark color.
Happy Monday!

Old 08-29-2016, 06:37 AM

7,368 posts, read 5,482,511 times

Today’s Question:
Has excavation ever been done on your property (such as for a septic tank, sewer line, or burying cables/wiring underground) ? We had to have the north side of our foundation replaced once. It wasn't fun!

Extra Credit:
Do you see or encounter spider webs often ? Not really

Bonus:
Does one of your ears appear to stick out (from side of your head) more than the other ? No
Do your hands or feet have calluses ? Yes
Do your elbows or knees feel rough on the outside ? Yes

Just for Fun:
-red ?
-orange ?
-yellow ?
-green ?
-blue ?
-purple ?
-brown/tan ?
-black ?
-gray ?
-white ?
-beige/cream ?

because you think it/they doesn’t look good on you ? Orange

“wow, that looks like a lot of effort-glad I don’t have to put on, move around while wearing, or launder, that garment” ? An astronaut suit

Old 08-29-2016, 06:43 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times

Today’s Question:
Has excavation ever been done on your property (such as for a septic tank, sewer line, or burying cables/wiring underground) ?
Yes when I was having trouble with reception of my cable tv and internet, they had to dig and bury new cable

Extra Credit:
Do you see or encounter spider webs often ?
Yes nearly every morning when I walk out the front door, it's disgusting and gives me the willies

Bonus:
Does one of your ears appear to stick out (from side of your head) more than the other ?
Haha not that I have noticed
Do your hands or feet have calluses ?
Yes, my old feet
Do your elbows or knees feel rough on the outside ?
No thankfully I don't have that problem - yet

Just for Fun:
-red ?
-orange ?
-yellow ?
-green ?
-blue ?
-purple ?
-brown/tan ?
-black ?
-gray ?
-white ?
-beige/cream ?

because you think it/they doesn’t look good on you ?
No I can wear pretty much any color, and I do as you can see

“wow, that looks like a lot of effort-glad I don’t have to put on, move around while wearing, or launder, that garment” ?
Yes, I avoid anything that needs dry-cleaning or ironing. I love sequins and shiny things on clothing but I don't buy because they usually have to be hand washed.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Lemon Juice Day
-and is part of-
World Water Week

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:

Thanks Cloven!

Old 08-29-2016, 06:45 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Today’s Question:
Has excavation ever been done on your property (such as for a septic tank, sewer line, or burying cables/wiring underground) ?
We've been connected to city water vs. well since we've lived here, all other were done prior.

Extra Credit:
Occasionally outdoors

Bonus:
Does one of your ears appear to stick out (from side of your head) more than the other ?

Just for Fun:
-red ?
-orange ?
-yellow ?
-green ?
-blue ?
-purple ?
-brown/tan ?
-black ?
-gray ?
-white ?
-beige/cream ?
Believe I have some of all except for purple.

Is there a particular color or type/group of colors (which you may otherwise like just fine) that you avoid wearing, because you think it/they doesn’t look good on you ?
Not really, prefer primary vs. pastels, and solids vs. checks, plaids, polka-dots, patterns, etc.

“wow, that looks like a lot of effort-glad I don’t have to put on, move around while wearing, or launder, that garment” ?

Today in History:
2005: Hurricane Katrina makes second landfall in Louisiana, then again on its border with Mississippi, wreaking havoc with storm surges and tornadoes, causing casualties as well as destroying property AL also rec'd wind/rain/tree damage w/this area w/o electricity for 2+ wks.

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Lemon Juice Day
-and is part of-
World Water Week

Today’s Picture
: A bee hive maze!

Thought for the Day:

Thanks cloven for Monday's QotD, nice job!

Happy Monday All, Enjoy!

Old 08-29-2016, 08:28 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times

Today’s Question:
not that I'm aware of....... I had the house built 35 years ago but don't remember seeing anyone around checking the property.
Extra Credit:
no,,,, I've not seen any webs here.
Bonus:
Does one of your ears appear to stick out (from side of your head) more than the other?
no both sides are the same and don't stick out
Do your hands or feet have calluses?
no I'm retired ..............
No,
Just for Fun:
-red? x
-orange?

-yellow?

-green? x
-blue? x
-purple?
-brown/tan? x
-black?
-gray?x
-white? x
-beige/cream ? x
just a few of them.............

because you think it/they doesn’t look good on you ?
I think I can get away with most any color but I like blue best.
There's a lot of clothing that I don't understand why anyone in their right mind would wear it.

Enjoy your work week.............

Old 08-29-2016, 08:30 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Today’s Question:
Has excavation ever been done on your property (such as for a septic tank, sewer line, or burying cables/wiring underground) ? None after construction, 2008!

Extra Credit:
Do you see or encounter spider webs often ? Once in a while outside.

Bonus:
^^ No to all the above

Just for Fun:
-red ?
-orange ?
-yellow ?
-green ?
-blue ?
-purple ?
-brown/tan ?
-black ?
-gray ?
-white ?
-beige/cream ?
I think I have tops that have most of those colors.
because you think it/they doesn’t look good on you ? No

“wow, that looks like a lot of effort-glad I don’t have to put on, move around while wearing, or launder, that garment” ? All the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics