Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 12:22 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday August 29, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Has excavation ever been done on your property (such as for a septic tank, sewer line, or burying cables/wiring underground) ?

Extra Credit:
Do you see or encounter spider webs often ?

Bonus:
Does one of your ears appear to stick out (from side of your head) more than the other ?
Do your hands or feet have calluses ?
Do your elbows or knees feel rough on the outside ?

Just for Fun:
Regarding clothing, do you have/wear items that are
-red ?
-orange ?
-yellow ?
-green ?
-blue ?
-purple ?
-brown/tan ?
-black ?
-gray ?
-white ?
-beige/cream ?

Is there a particular color or type/group of colors (which you may otherwise like just fine) that you avoid wearing,
because you think it/they doesn’t look good on you ?

Have you ever seen a piece of clothing that made you think, with relief:
“wow, that looks like a lot of effort-glad I don’t have to put on, move around while wearing, or launder, that garment” ?

Today in History:
1898: In Ohio, founding of the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
1938: Birth of actor Elliott Gould (M*A*S*H)
1947: Birth of author Temple Grandin (“Thinking in Pictures”, “Animals in Translation”)
1958: Birth of comedian & actor Lenworth “Lenny” Henry (Chef!, Comic Relief UK)
1959: Birth of actress Rebecca De Mornay (Risky Business)
1963: Birth of singer-songwriter Elizabeth Fraser (Cocteau Twins, Massive Attack)
1965: NASA’s Gemini 5 manned spacecraft lands, after 8 days in low Earth orbit
1982: The element (doesn’t occur in nature) Meitnerium (atomic no. 109) is first synthesized in a German laboratory
2005: Hurricane Katrina makes second landfall in Louisiana, then again on its border with Mississippi, wreaking havoc with storm surges and tornadoes, causing casualties as well as destroying property
2011: Tropical Storm Irene causes flooding in New England, decimating infrastructure (roads & utilities) and leaving many communities isolated for weeks

Today’s Word:
palatial /pəˈlāSHəl/ (adj.): Having the dimensions, resources, and style of a palace or castle. Large, grand, ornate, and opulent.

Today Is:
National Lemon Juice Day
International Day against Nuclear Tests (United Nations)
More Herbs, Less Salt Day
-and is part of-
World Water Week

Today’s Picture:

Entrance & exit are at center-

Thought for the Day:

“Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.”
-Scott Adams (unsure who said it first, has been variously attributed to all sorts of people)

Wishing all of you a cosmic, interstellar day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 12:50 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Wow! I haven't been first in a long time.

Happy Monday August 29, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Has excavation ever been done on your property (such as for a septic tank, sewer line, or burying cables/wiring underground) ?

Extra Credit:

Bonus:
Does one of your ears appear to stick out (from side of your head) more than the other ?
Do your hands or feet have calluses ? Not these days.
Do your elbows or knees feel rough on the outside ? Nope!

Just for Fun:
-red ?
-orange ?
-yellow ?
-green ?
-blue ?
-purple ?
-brown/tan ?
-black ?
-gray ?
-white ?
-beige/cream ?

Is there a particular color or type/group of colors (which you may otherwise like just fine) that you avoid wearing,

“wow, that looks like a lot of effort-glad I don’t have to put on, move around while wearing, or launder, that garment” ? Space suits...

Today in History:
1898: In Ohio, founding of the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
1938: Birth of actor Elliott Gould (M*A*S*H)
1947: Birth of author Temple Grandin (“Thinking in Pictures”, “Animals in Translation”)
1958: Birth of comedian & actor Lenworth “Lenny” Henry (Chef!, Comic Relief UK)
1959: Birth of actress Rebecca De Mornay (Risky Business)
1963: Birth of singer-songwriter Elizabeth Fraser (Cocteau Twins, Massive Attack)
1982: The element (doesn’t occur in nature) Meitnerium (atomic no. 109) is first synthesized in a German laboratory
2005: Hurricane Katrina makes second landfall in Louisiana, then again on its border with Mississippi, wreaking havoc with storm surges and tornadoes, causing casualties as well as destroying property
2011: Tropical Storm Irene causes flooding in New England, decimating infrastructure (roads & utilities) and leaving many communities isolated for weeks

Today’s Word:
palatial /pəˈlāSHəl/ (adj.): Having the dimensions, resources, and style of a palace or castle. Large, grand, ornate, and opulent.

Today Is:
National Lemon Juice Day
-and is part of-
World Water Week

Thought for the Day:

“Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.”
-Scott Adams (unsure who said it first, has been variously attributed to all sorts of people)

Thanks Cloven! Nice job!

Old 08-29-2016, 01:01 AM

38,900 posts, read 22,892,149 times
Today’s Question:
Has excavation ever been done on your property (such as for a septic tank, sewer line, or burying cables/wiring underground) ? No, not since I've lived here.

Extra Credit:
Do you see or encounter spider webs often ? Unfortunately, yes.

Bonus:
Does one of your ears appear to stick out (from side of your head) more than the other ? No.
Do your hands or feet have calluses ? No, neither.
Do your elbows or knees feel rough on the outside ? No, neither.

Just for Fun:
-red ? Yes
-orange ? No
-yellow ? Yes
-green ? Yes
-blue ? Yes
-purple ? Yes
-brown/tan ? Yes
-black ? Yes
-gray ? Yes
-white ? Yes
-beige/cream ? Yes

because you think it/they doesn’t look good on you ? Yes, orange or anything "electric" like very bright shades or pink, green, etc.

“wow, that looks like a lot of effort-glad I don’t have to put on, move around while wearing, or launder, that garment” ? I've seen a few like that.

Last week of August already! I hope yours is off to a great start.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:05 AM

21,547 posts, read 8,727,966 times

Today’s Question:
Nothing major, but when we replaced the deck a city inspector had to drill where the posts were going to go in order to test the soil before we could get the project approved.
Extra Credit:
Yes, spiders love to set up housekeeping in the garage, and I have to stay vigilant to keep them out of the house. I just bought a device called a spider catcher that removes them humanely without harming them.
Bonus:
Does one of your ears appear to stick out (from side of your head) more than the other?
I don't think so. At least I haven't noticed it if they do.
Do your hands or feet have calluses?
Yes, my palms some times have little calluses from the upper body exercises I do at the gym, but I started wearing weight lifters' fingerless gloves, and that has helped a lot.
No, they're still pretty good considering my age (67).
Just for Fun:
-red?
-orange?

-yellow?
No
-green?
-blue?
-purple?
-brown/tan?
-black?
-gray?
-white?
-beige/cream ?
All of the above except where indicated.

Yellow isn't my color, although I can get away with some of the lighter, more subtle shades.
“wow, that looks like a lot of effort-glad I don’t have to put on, move around while wearing, or launder, that garment” ?
I think that whenever I see women in skin-tight jeans, micro-minis or those skyscraper heels. If I were a man, I don't think that wearing a tie would be very comfortable.

Thanks, cloven!

Old 08-29-2016, 02:30 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
not after construction

nope

probably
yes
kind of

all of those
yes
yes

Old 08-29-2016, 03:12 AM

11,371 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Today’s Question:
- The property I live on consists of 5 apartment buildings but surrounded by many apartment developments. The answer is no.

Extra Credit:
- I cannot recall the last time I saw one.

Bonus:
As far as I know they are normal.

Do your hands or feet have calluses ? - Nope. Must be the regular manicures and pedicures I get. I also spent most of my career doing office type work so that's a factor too.

Do your elbows or knees feel rough on the outside ? - Just felt and no.

Just for Fun:
-red ?
-orange ?
-yellow ?
-green ?
-blue ?
-purple ?
-brown/tan ?
-black ?
-gray ?
-white ?
-beige/cream ?

It's been horrible going through life being color blind. I can tell some colors but for the most part I am lost.
I have been told by others that I manage to coordinate my clothes. When I buy them I often ask for help and try to keep them together.

- Can't recall.

Thanks, cloven.

Yesterday's outing at the Maryland State Fair was surreal, as was the entire day. It wasn't as hot as I expected it to be either and there was a nice breeze blowing.
Back to reality today.

Happy Monday to all!

Old 08-29-2016, 03:51 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Has excavation ever been done on your property (such as for a septic tank, sewer line, or burying cables/wiring underground) ?yes

Extra Credit:
Do you see or encounter spider webs often ?very often - some beautiful ones that sparkle in the sun! There's a huge one off a landing at my apt building - it has just one anchor on the bottom. I think most people don't even know it's there - just happened to catch the sun on it just right one day. Very cool.

Bonus:
Does one of your ears appear to stick out (from side of your head) more than the other ? no
Do your hands or feet have calluses ? no - barely even when I ran around outside with bare feet
Do your elbows or knees feel rough on the outside ? no, I have soft skin and use lotion

Just for Fun:
-red ? not much - maybe 2
-orange ? tons
-yellow ? 1
-green ? yes mostly lime or springy not hunter
-blue ? some but no navy blue
-purple ? yes
-brown/tan ? some
-black ? so much
-gray ? yes almost always with black
-white ? barely
-beige/cream ? no

because you think it/they doesn’t look good on you ? i don't think bright red or most yellow look good on me. And I despise pastels and feel washed out in them.

“wow, that looks like a lot of effort-glad I don’t have to put on, move around while wearing, or launder, that garment” ? yes, bjork's swan dress and any garment with feathers or special fabrics/adornment

Happy day all! Thanks cloven!

Old 08-29-2016, 04:01 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Has excavation ever been done on your property (such as for a septic tank, sewer line, or burying cables/wiring underground) ? Everything here…we needed roads, a homesite, more level land, back fill the house, septic, electric and water lines, ditch lines, culverts….yeah a lot of excavation

Extra Credit:

Bonus:
Does one of your ears appear to stick out (from side of your head) more than the other ? No
Do your hands or feet have calluses ? Yes
Do your elbows or knees feel rough on the outside ? Not really…I try to lotion them often.

Just for Fun:
-red ? not much
-orange ?
-yellow ?
-green ? not really
-blue ? jeans
-purple ?
-brown/tan ? no
-black ? nah…shows dog hair but I do have black jeans
-gray ?
-white ?
-beige/cream ? no…I like that on walls better than on me, lol.

because you think it/they doesn’t look good on you ? I don't think red looks good on me.

“wow, that looks like a lot of effort-glad I don’t have to put on, move around while wearing, or launder, that garment” ? Astronaut's suit

Have a great day

Old 08-29-2016, 04:08 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Morning!

Today’s Question:

Extra Credit:
Do you see or encounter spider webs often ? Not often. We had one in the basement for awhile. I found it interesting to watch. Spiders are good---they eat other insects. A long time ago @ the Invertebrate Exhibit at the Smithsonian National Zoo we had a woman talk with us about spiders and their fascinating life. After that I looked at spiders very differently.

Bonus:
Do your hands or feet have calluses ? feet

Just for Fun:
-red ?
-orange ? I live in Orioles country--it is required to have one orange shirt
-yellow ?
-green ?
-blue ?
-purple ? I live in Raven Country--it is required to have one purple shirt
-brown/tan ?
-black ?
-gray ?
-white ?
-beige/cream ?

because you think it/they doesn’t look good on you ? Red

“wow, that looks like a lot of effort-glad I don’t have to put on, move around while wearing, or launder, that garment” ? Rather I think--yikes did you look in the mirror today?!

Today Is:
National Lemon Juice Day
-and is part of-
World Water Week

^ Now that you say that--that is my plan, to have a cosmic, interstellar day!

Old 08-29-2016, 04:19 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
[quote=cloven;45298718]
Today’s Question:

Since owning my own property I have lived in apts. and one house that occupied an entire small urban plot, and built a house in a new development, so the last required excavations for all of the above.

Extra Credit:
Do you see or encounter spider webs often ? In the apartment, never; outside, once in awhile - like today.

Bonus:
Does one of your ears appear to stick out (from side of your head) more than the other ? It does not "appear to," it does without a doubt.
Do your hands or feet have calluses ? My feet are a mess because my walking is screwed up.
Do your elbows or knees feel rough on the outside ? My elbows.

Just for Fun:
-red ? yes
-orange ? yes
-yellow ? yes
-green ? yes
-blue ? yes
-purple ? no, but maroon
-brown/tan ? none
-black ? none
-gray ? yes
-white ? none
-beige/cream ? none

Is there a particular color or type/group of colors (which you may otherwise like just fine) that you avoid wearing, because you think it/they doesn’t look good on you ? Brown

“wow, that looks like a lot of effort-glad I don’t have to put on, move around while wearing, or launder, that garment” ? Men's suits. I never liked wearing a suit, and when I see a suit with a vest I always think, "Thank god, I can just say no to suits now."

Today in History:

After the first few flights I lost interest when the "space race" made them seem commonplace.

Today’s Word:

Today Is:

World Water Week I got a small, unusually well-done folder from our water authority. It was in both Portuguese and English, and I was surprised by the English as many official agencies do not publish bilingual material. It explained very nicely where the water came from, how it was tested, how it was purified, etc. As I read, I'm thinking great, but what has prompted publishing all this technical info. Then it got into the domestic uses of water...like wash my dishes, really? And then it slipped in the ultimate and real point: drink tap water, not water in plastic bottles.

Empty plastic water bottles form a huge part of our waste in large measure because of tourism, reaching a peak in the summer tourist months. I park on the edge of a resort complex heavily used by English tourists and I shop at a corner market also patronized by people who stay at this place. I see them pushing shopping carts back laden with the equivalent of gallon containers - by the dozens! and the store's aisles are jammed with water in plastic bottles of all sizes, plus what's usually on the shelves. Today - the end of tourist season, the aisles are clear the kerjillion extra plastic bottles have vanished.

And as of the end of today, after the garbage has been collected from the neighborhood trash containers, the streets will be free of all those plastic bottles that couldn't be jammed into the containers.

The mania for bottled water really makes our neighborhoods look trashy in the summer, and do those bottles all really end up being recycled I wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics