Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 07:56 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times

Advertisements

[quote=PatsCats;45475770]Mornin' all!

Time to have a little fun. So grab a cuppa, and sit for a bit and ponder the following...

Today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could build the house of your dreams, what would it look like? I think small, one floor, but kind of sprawly in design and not built over a cellar.
What color(s)/exterior material? weathered wood, stone
What kind of porch would it have? maybe a couple, old fashion, railings, etc.
How many bedrooms? two
How many bathrooms? Any special kind of shower/tub? One bathroom for each bedroom. A walk-in shower in mine, and probably the same for the second bedroom and a toilet and sink for the public part of the house.
How many extra rooms for, say, an office, a studio, etc.? I'd want a library/computer/study all in one....in my present apt. I have approriated the other bedroom for this, but it means I have only one other bedroom, the one I use for myself. In fact, I think I'd like this to have an el that could serve as my bedroom and forget a separate bedroom.
Other interior features? That necessary evil, a kitchen...and a laundry, ironing, etc. room.
What about the land? How big is the piece of property your dream house sits on? I'm bad on stuff like this...an acre. The amount of land isn't as important as a nice view of the sea or an expanse of countryside.
What's in your yard? trees, cat tails or bamboo, flowering plants here and there but no proper formal flower garden.
Anything else you'd like to have in your house/yard? I'd like it to be in the countryside or at least located on the edge of town.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have:
a map (of anywhere) on the wall? no
a globe? no
an atlas? yes
a compass? no
a map in your car? no
GPS? it has some kind of thingie like that, but it remains a mystery because I got bored reading in the manual about it.

"Being lost" is something I have difficulty dealing with as a concept. My mother was in a panic if she wasn't absolutely sure where she was, or if she thought a driver didn't know. She was truly terrified all her life of this assinine thing "lost." And she would constantly ask, "Do you know where we are!!!???"

I am the opposite, not knowing where you are in a city can be very annoying and endlessly difficult to resolve. But otherwise, how can you be "lost"? You are off the track you planned on, but unless you are catching a plane or going to a wedding or funeral what the heck difference does it make? You are somewhere, it's not like you are nowhere, and you will be able to get back onto your route or to your destination by some other way. Unless you haven't researched your route very thoroughly, it shouldn't hundreds of miles before you realize that you are not where you think you should be. When I started going to Ireland as a young man I always got lost and then I'd find myself somewhere, it was terrific. I planned my first trip to Portugal thoroughly, and missed fifty percent of it because I ended up in different places.

On the other hand, this may explain why I never had a "career." I kept getting lost.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever "left your mark" anywhere, such as carved your initials in a tree, written your name in wet cement, or written on a bathroom wall? I'm sure I did the first, cement - no, and bathroom wall? - the last place I'd want to memorialize myself.

One time I remember clearly concerns a bed. My grt-grandmother brought over two beds with her from Ireland after the Great Famine (though I think she may have bought them in the U.S myself.), in any case I ended up with one of them 100 years later as my bed. I took a knife and scratched my name on the underside of the bed. My mother sold the bed after she was widowed, and so one of Kate Burke's old beds is out there somewhere with my name scratched on. It was a simple, but lovely piece of furniture that my mother refinished with the skill of a master, so with luck it has a good home.

Today in History:

Medicine: 1956 1st prefrontal lobotomy performed, Washington D.C.

I've read that there have been Mayan skulls discovered with holes cut into them and plugged with insets of stuff like soapstone. And it appears from the skulls that some of these "operations" healed and that there person lived afterward. What they were doing cutting holes in the skull (treppaning) to get to the squishie-wishie stuff inside no one knows.

Today’s Word:
revenant
Pronunciation: (REV-uh-nuhnt)
Meaning: noun:
A person who returns after a long absence or supposedly from the death.
Etymology: From French revenant (ghost), from revenir (to return), from Latin re- (again) + venire (to come).
Earliest documented use: 1823.

Weren't widows sometimes referred to as revenants? "Mary Smith the revenant of Dr. Moe Smith....sort of stuff."

[Couldn't stand it, just looked it up...or tried to, and the word I was thinking of is "relict," which was formerly sometimes used for a widow. It seems to have the same Latin root as the Irish word for graveyard, "reilig," which is connected to relic. And a second look at the OED says that relict was also once a word for relic.....which would appear to make the widow, as a relict, uncomfortably close to relic.]

Last edited by kevxu; 09-14-2016 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 07:57 AM

12,842 posts, read 868,660 times
Today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could build the house of your dreams, what would it look like?
A 1950s-style Atomic Ranch house with a one car attached garage plus a three car detached garage.
What color(s)/exterior material?
Natural stone and wood, but I have to see the house plans to decide on the specific color.
What kind of porch would it have?
Covered, yet true to the syle of the 1950s Atomic Ranch house. One on the front for a welcoming entry and one on the back that would be more of a patio.
How many bedrooms?
Four should be enough.
How many bathrooms? Any special kind of shower/tub?
Two full baths and one half bath.
How many extra rooms for, say, an office, a studio, etc.?
A small office would be nice and a room for a pool table.
Other interior features?
A simple basement for hiding if a tornado comes around. And heated floors would be luxurious.
What about the land? How big is the piece of property your dream house sits on?
Enough so that I don't see or hear my neighbors, maybe 40 acres with my house right in the middle of it, and on a small hill for good drainage. Also, I'd want mostly wooded land.
What's in your yard?
Spectacular flower gardens, paths, and premium grass for the lawn. It sure would be nice to walk around with bare feet in my yard for a change!
Anything else you'd like to have in your house/yard?
A built-in SWIMMING POOL!!! It would be both outdoor and indoor because of the retractable/sliding doors. The pool would lead to the back patio. I don't have it all figured out yet, but it would be so awesome to have a private pool that I could use all year round!

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have:
a map (of anywhere) on the wall? Yes, several in the garage.
a globe? Not anymore.
an atlas? Yes, about five.
a compass? Several
a map in your car? Always
GPS? NO... I have maps, atlases, and compasses.

Thanks, that was fun. I think I'll get my sketch pad out and fine-tune my house plans. At the same time I'll check the lottery numbers.

Last edited by rainydayparis; 09-14-2016 at 08:36 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 08:22 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could build the house of your dreams, what would it look like? It would be a small log cabin. Less than 800 square feet in size. Will have a detached garage with a breezeway connecting it to the house
What color(s)/exterior material? Would be just the natural look
What kind of porch would it have? There would be a small porch. Will have a built in BBQ
How many bedrooms? Just one
How many bathrooms? Any special kind of shower/tub? One bathroom. Walk in shower
How many extra rooms for, say, an office, a studio, etc.? Just a kitchen and a living room.
Other interior features? Lots of windows.
What about the land? How big is the piece of property your dream house sits on? Will be sitting on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Maybe 20 acres. Will be in a windy location
What's in your yard? A few trees. A very lush lawn. There will be a small creek
Anything else you'd like to have in your house/yard? There will be a small guest cabin

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have:
a map (of anywhere) on the wall?
a globe?
an atlas?
a compass?
a map in your car?
GPS?
I have a GPS

Just for Fun:
Have you ever "left your mark" anywhere, such as carved your initials in a tree, written your name in wet cement, or written on a bathroom wall?
Let's seen know. I was a college student where the drinking age was 18. I am sure I wrote on more than bathroom wall

Old 09-14-2016, 08:31 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,032,420 times
Today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could build the house of your dreams, what would it look like? Nice
What kind of porch would it have? Wrap around, Ocean view on the Oregon Coast.
How many bedrooms? 4
How many bathrooms? Any special kind of shower/tub? 3, big showers
How many extra rooms for, say, an office, a studio, etc.? An office/craft room
Other interior features? Contemporary, Quartz counters, stainless appliances.
What about the land? How big is the piece of property your dream house sits on? An acre
What's in your yard? The Ocean
Anything else you'd like to have in your house/yard? Open deck, closed Sunroom, giant windows. A window cleaner, yard maintenance! Oh a mud room for those rainy days and for the dogs I will have!!

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have:
a map (of anywhere) on the wall? No
a globe?
an atlas?
a compass?
a map in your car?
GPS?
Ok, no to the above. I have atlas and maps in my office.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever "left your mark" anywhere, such as carved your initials in a tree, written your name in wet cement, or written on a bathroom wall? No but a little pup left paw prints on my front porch cement. I like it.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:49 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,709 times
Today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could build the house of your dreams, what would it look like?
What color(s)/exterior material? I've always liked navy blue siding
What kind of porch would it have? A screened in one out back
How many bedrooms? Just one
How many bathrooms? Any special kind of shower/tub? Only need one
How many extra rooms for, say, an office, a studio, etc.? There would be a few
Other interior features?
What about the land? How big is the piece of property your dream house sits on? About an acre
What's in your yard? A large garden and some space for the dog to run around.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have:
a map (of anywhere) on the wall? No
a globe? In the attic, yes
an atlas? Might have one somewhere, not sure
a compass? None that I'm aware of
a map in your car? No
GPS? No. Don't really need one. I can find my way around quite well.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever "left your mark" anywhere, such as carved your initials in a tree, written your name in wet cement, or written on a bathroom wall?
Did this several times at miniature golf courses. The sign posts are littered with people's initials.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:51 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,909,100 times
Today's Question(s):

If money were no object and you could build the house of your dreams, what would it look like? Spanish hacienda.
What color(s)/exterior material? Gold stucco with red clay tile roof.
What kind of porch would it have? The full length of the house and very shady.
How many bedrooms? 4
How many bathrooms? 3 1/2 Any special kind of shower/tub? Rain-shower head.
How many extra rooms for, say, an office, a studio, etc.? An art studio with north-facing windows and an office.
Other interior features? Large kitchen with granite counters.
What about the land? How big is the piece of property your dream house sits on? Just a 1/2 acre.
What's in your yard? Nicely landscaped with desert-hardy plants.
Anything else you'd like to have in your house/yard? A fountain, a bird bath and a bird feeder.

Do you have:
a map (of anywhere) on the wall? I don't.
a globe? Nope.
an atlas? Yes.
a compass? Just in the car.
a map in your car? Yes.
GPS? On my phone and in the car.

Have you ever "left your mark" anywhere, such as carved your initials in a tree, written your name in wet cement, or written on a bathroom wall? Nope.

Thanks PC and happy day everyone!

Old 09-14-2016, 09:06 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could build the house of your dreams, what would it look like? Rotating Dome.
What color(s)/exterior material? Aluminum
What kind of porch would it have? Zero
How many bedrooms? 6
How many bathrooms? 6 Any special kind of shower/tub? Sunken
How many extra rooms for, say, an office, a studio, etc.? 6
Other interior features? Theater room
What about the land? Dirt. How big is the piece of property your dream house sits on? 160 acres
What's in your yard? Xeriscaped plants.
Anything else you'd like to have in your house/yard? Telescope, miniature train, swing set, gun turrets.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have:
a map (of anywhere) on the wall? 4' x 5' map of the world.
a globe? One on a table.
an atlas? 2
a compass? 2
a map in your car? Bunches
GPS? 1

Just for Fun:
Have you ever "left your mark" anywhere, such as carved your initials in a tree, written your name in wet cement, or written on a bathroom wall? Sidewalk hand print, initials.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:57 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Today's Question(s): http://s5.tinypic.com/aetnnq_th.jpg
How many bedrooms?
Other interior features?
What's in your yard?
This question reminds me of a time in my youth when I was asked by a friend if I would like to have the money to buy an elephant. I replied that, I'd take the money and do something else.

However, at an earlier time in my life I would have wanted a brick 2500 to 3000 square foot rancher home with a metal roof. The house would have at least 3 full bathrooms, at least 4 bedrooms, at least one fireplace and a huge fully furnished kitchen with an island. It would have a wrap-around covered steamboat porch and would sit squarely in the middle of 50 to 100 treed acres somewhere in the mountainous desert Southwest, possibly in the Alpine, Texas area or somewhere in central or southern New Mexico.

Outside there would be a "gated" paved road from the small highway up to the house. At the house there would be a separated three car garage and a 20,000 square foot insulated (heated and cooled) finished barn in back. There would be an office in the barn. The entire farm would be enclosed by a 4-rail steel pipe fence painted white.

And if this ranchette were in Texas, I would place aside about half my money to pay the annual property taxes.

Bonus Question(s): http://www.4smileys.com/smileys/vehi...mileycar69.gif
Do you have:
a map (of anywhere) on the wall? There's one behind me on the bedroom wall of the Llano Estacado. Then too, there's a large one in the dining room that shows an exploded view of a globe of the "old world."
a globe? I had one but I gave it to my grandson.
an atlas? Several.
a compass? Not counting the one in my smart phone, I have at least two compasses.
a map in your car? I believe there's and old Texas road map in the glove box of my truck.
GPS? Only in my smart phone.

Just for Fun: http://www.smiliegenerator.us/images/spraytagger.gif
Have you ever "left your mark" anywhere, such as carved your initials in a tree, written your name in wet cement, or written on a bathroom wall? I'm sure I have carved my initials in several trees having grown up on a farm. As well, my family history is recorded in the files of my hometown library and my name is professionally engraved in my parents' tombstone.

Thanks PatsCats. Some thought provoking questions on this humpday.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:42 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Today's Question(s):
Exactly the same as the one I have now with only one difference.
Brick in various shades of earth tones.
A small porch in a courtyard.
How many bedrooms?
Three
Two bathrooms with tubs and showers.
I'd add a pantry. I've always wanted a walk-in pantry.
Other interior features?
Wood floors and tile floors with a touch of carpet here and there.
An average lot.
What's in your yard?
An in-ground pool in the backyard.
Not really. I am quite content with my house and the fact that it is paid off.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have:
Yes, one.
a globe?
Yes. It's one that I carried on my lap on the plane from NYC. How weird is that? We do have globes for sale in Texas. ahahahahahaha

an atlas? No.
a compass? No.
a map in your car? Yes.
GPS? No.

Just for Fun:
Not that I recall.

Today in History:
Birthday: 1917 Sydney J. Harris, English-born U.S. Writer (d. December 7, 1986)
Arts/Entertainment: 1984 1st MTV awards-Bette Midler and Dan Aykroyd host
Medicine: 1956 1st prefrontal lobotomy performed, Washington D.C.
Sports: 1997 Chicago Whites Sox retire Carlton Fisk's number, 72
Science/Technology: 1974 Charles Kowal discovers Leda, 13th satellite of Jupiter

Today’s Word:
revenant
Pronunciation: (REV-uh-nuhnt)
Meaning: noun:
A person who returns after a long absence or supposedly from the death.
Etymology: From French revenant (ghost), from revenir (to return), from Latin re- (again) + venire (to come).
Earliest documented use: 1823.

Today is:
Eat a Hoagie Day
National Kreme Filled Donut Day
I'll have one hoagie and a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts. Then I'll take a nap.
Quote of the Day:
"The three hardest tasks in the world are neither physical feats nor intellectual achievements, but moral acts: to return love for hate, to include the excluded, and to say, 'I was wrong'." ~ Sydney J. Harris ~
Well said.

Have a good day everyone!
Thank you, PC. This was fun.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:58 AM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Today's Question(s):
How many bedrooms?
Other interior features?
What's in your yard?
Easier to do it this way for me.

http://concierge.typepad.com/photos/...al_waterwa.jpg

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have:
a globe?
an atlas?
a compass?
a map in your car?
GPS?
I have all of the above.

Just for Fun:
Just initials in the cement.

Thanx PatsCats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics