Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 11:46 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,618,254 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all! (<That's me! LOL) Or evening for some of you.

Time to take a break for a moment or two and have a little fun with the following...

Today's Question(s):
Like many people, I used to be very afraid of spiders. After many years of being snuck up on in the workplace, and my own home, by 1-inch Wolf spiders, I finally came to terms with spiders, and was even able to hold a couple of docile tarantulas.
Let's celebrate our triumph over our fears! Is there a fear you've had in the past that you no longer have? How did you overcome that specific fear?

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have an escape and re-group plan in case of household emergency or natural disaster?
Do you have a fire extinguisher?
A weather alert radio?
Extra water and/or food stored away?
Extra clothing in case you can't get back to the house for several days?

Just for Fun:
Where I live, while I love the autumn, we are entering the season of what is, in my opinion, the worst weather condition, cold rain! Honestly! It's the worst! What weather condition do you think is the worst?

Today in History:
Birthday: 551 BCE Confucius, Chinese philosopher (d. November 21(?) 479 BCE)
Arts/Entertainment: 1987 "Star Trek: The Next Generation," debuts on syndicated TV
Sports: 1996 New York Yankee Jim Leyitz is 2nd catcher to wear a hockey mask
Science/Technology: 1879 Sydney Australia inaugurates steam motor tram route

Today’s Word:
poodle-faker
Pronunciation: (POOD-l fay-kuhr)
Meaning: noun: A man who seeks out the company of upper-status women, especially for advancing himself.
Etymology: The term poodle-faker was British slang for a newly commissioned officer who cultivates female company, especially for social or professional advancement. From poodle (a breed developed to retrieve game from the water), from German Pudel (poodle), from Low German pudeln (to splash about), from pudel (puddle).
Earliest documented use: 1902.

Today is:
Ask a Stupid Question Day
Banned Websites Awareness Day
Fish Tank Floorshow Night
International Right To Know Day
National Drink Beer Day
National Good Neighbor Day
National Women's Health & Fitness Day
Strawberry Cream Pie Day
World Rabies Day

Quote of the Day:
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."
~ Confucius ~

Have a good day everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Wednesday's Questions, September 28, 2016-me-charlotte_opt.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 11:51 PM

44,671 posts, read 61,774,875 times
Today's Question(s):
Like many people, I used to be very afraid of spiders. After many years of being snuck up on in the workplace, and my own home, by 1-inch Wolf spiders, I finally came to terms with spiders, and was even able to hold a couple of docile tarantulas.
Let's celebrate our triumph over our fears! Is there a fear you've had in the past that you no longer have? How did you overcome that specific fear? If you can't beat'em join'em

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have an escape and re-group plan in case of household emergency or natural disaster?
A weather alert radio?

Just for Fun:
Where I live, while I love the autumn, we are entering the season of what is, in my opinion, the worst weather condition, cold rain! Honestly! It's the worst! What weather condition do you think is the worst? Tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, and monsoons.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:51 PM

3,091 posts, read 1,693,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post

Time to take a break for a moment or two and have a little fun with the following...

Today's Question(s):
Let's celebrate our triumph over our fears! Is there a fear you've had in the past that you no longer have? How did you overcome that specific fear? Can't say that I've overcome any of them. I still don't like the dark but that fear isn't as bad as it used to be.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have an escape and re-group plan in case of household emergency or natural disaster? Yes.
Do you have a fire extinguisher? Yes, though it's old.
A weather alert radio? My mate does.
Extra water and/or food stored away? Food, yes, water, no.
Extra clothing in case you can't get back to the house for several days? Yes.

Happy Hump Day to all!

Old 09-27-2016, 11:57 PM

21,598 posts, read 8,767,056 times
Today's Question(s):
Let's celebrate our triumph over our fears! Is there a fear you've had in the past that you no longer have? How did you overcome that specific fear?
I am afraid of spiders, too. We get them all the time here. Usually Mr. Bay captures them in a glass jar with a lid, and then releases them outside. I won't have anything to do with it. But recently I found a product on line that has made spider and bug removal much easier and less scary. It also is humane and doesn't hurt the insect. This is it: https://www.amazon.com/BB-B2005-Spid...pider+catchers

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have an escape and re-group plan in case of household emergency or natural disaster? No, not really. It's just Mr. Bay and me, and we are seldom apart.
Do you have a fire extinguisher? Yes, it's old, though. It should be replaced.
A weather alert radio? No, that's not necessary here.
Extra water and/or food stored away? There's some bottled water and some food stored downstairs in the garage, but not as much as we ought to have.
Extra clothing in case you can't get back to the house for several days? No, it's hard to imagine any scenario when we would have to evacuate that quickly.

Just for Fun:
Where I live, while I love the autumn, we are entering the season of what is, in my opinion, the worst weather condition, cold rain! Honestly! It's the worst! What weather condition do you think is the worst?
I don't like wind.

Thanks, Pat!

Old 09-28-2016, 12:24 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,820,600 times
Quote:

Today's Question(s):
Let's celebrate our triumph over our fears! Is there a fear you've had in the past that you no longer have?
Can't think of anything offhand.
How did you overcome that specific fear?

Bonus Question(s):
A weather alert radio? A Midland WR300 AM/FM Weather Hazard Alert Radio w/battery backup primarily for severe weather/tornado alerts where time is of the essence, especially when sleeping.

Just for Fun:
Anytime it's below freezing!

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1987 "Star Trek: The Next Generation," debuts on syndicated TV

Today’s Word:
poodle-faker Interesting!
Meaning: noun: A man who seeks out the company of upper-status women, especially for advancing himself.
Etymology: The term poodle-faker was British slang for a newly commissioned officer who cultivates female company, especially for social or professional advancement. From poodle (a breed developed to retrieve game from the water), from German Pudel (poodle), from Low German pudeln (to splash about), from pudel (puddle).

Today is:
National Drink Beer Day
Strawberry Cream Pie Day
World Rabies Day <-- Hope this includes vaccination shots!

Quote of the Day:
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."
~ Confucius ~

Thanks PatsCats for Wednesday's QotD! Mighty big spider you have there!

Enjoy your day all!

Old 09-28-2016, 12:34 AM

14,827 posts, read 8,165,439 times
Quote:

Today's Question(s):

Wow, you were so brave holding the spider!!!! Bravo!!!
I haven't triumphed over any of my fears really....I embrace them - still have claustrophobia, and fear of heights.
Actually, I suppose I have a fear of spiders and snakes too...looks like I am afraid of a lot of things I guess,lol!

Bonus Question(s):
Sort of...but not as prepared as I should be.

Yes!
A weather alert radio?
No!
Only a little bit of extra for short term emergency.
No.

Just for Fun:

Autumn and Spring are my two favorite seasons...I don't mind rain, even cold rain very much.
I am just so sick of heat at this point, I could do a joy dance that summer is finally starting to end!
I guess that I would have to go with Ice storms....I really kinda like snow a lot, but ice storms are the worst, because there is much more likelier change of losing your electricity for a longer time...and they are just so destructive and dangerous.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
poodle-faker

Today is:
National Drink Beer Day
Strawberry Cream Pie Day
World Rabies Day

Quote of the Day:
~ Confucius ~

Have a wonderful day!

Old 09-28-2016, 12:35 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,959,371 times

Today's Question(s):

Bonus Question(s):
A weather alert radio?
Extra clothing in case you can't get back to the house for several days? In closets.

Just for Fun:
Cold rain would be worst for me as well.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
poodle-faker

Today is:
National Drink Beer Day
Strawberry Cream Pie Day
World Rabies Day

Quote of the Day:
~ Confucius ~

Have a good day everyone! Attached Thumbnails

Thanks PatsCats nice job!

Old 09-28-2016, 01:24 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,410,365 times
It is going to be a wacky Wednesday, I can feel it!

Today's Question(s):
Let's celebrate our triumph over our fears! Is there a fear you've had in the past that you no longer have? How did you overcome that specific fear? Fear of the dark. I had to grow up when I had a baby and had to rock the baby in a dark room. I still do not like going to my car in the wee hours of the morning (3:30am) when it is still dark.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have an escape and re-group plan in case of household emergency or natural disaster? Not really. We have a some gallons of water in the basement with a few canned goods. I feel like the Red Cross is pretty good at taking care of things.
Do you have a fire extinguisher? Yes, but I am sure it does not work since we have not had it tested since we moved here 34 years ago *note to self--get new extinguisher*
A weather alert radio?
Extra water and/or food stored away? tiny bit
Extra clothing in case you can't get back to the house for several days? Where am I suppose to store them?

Just for Fun:
Where I live, while I love the autumn, we are entering the season of what is, in my opinion, the worst weather condition, cold rain! Honestly! It's the worst! What weather condition do you think is the worst? I am not a fan of a very windy day.

Wishing you a silly day!

Old 09-28-2016, 03:03 AM

11,395 posts, read 9,317,843 times
Today's Question(s):

The only thing I can think of is a fear of my father.
I moved out when I was a teen and unprepared to be an adult.

Had 4+ years of nightmares of my horrid childhood after and cured myself without therapy. I'm thinking maybe that wasn't such a good idea...

Bonus Question(s):
A weather alert radio?

^ No to all. But there is a fire extinguisher downstairs of my apartment building.

It's big city here. A lot of people live in a small area. There are many apartment complexes and housing developments within a half mile of where I live.

Just for Fun:
- Tie between ice storms and blizzards. We do not get them often especially blizzards, but during the 2009-2010 winter season we had three of them, two were back to back (February 5 and 10).

Thanks, PatsCats.
Hope everyone has a good Wednesday!

I am off today. Speaking of bad weather the forecasters are predicting 3-4 inches of rain starting this afternoon and into tomorrow.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:18 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,174,664 times
yes, time

yes
yes
yes
yes
yes

anything extreme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics