Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 10:00 PM

21,547 posts, read 8,729,914 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, February 12, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Aquarius. Some famous people who share your birthday are Abraham Lincoln, Charles Darwin, filmmaker Franco Zeffirelli, basketball legend Bill Russell, author Judy Blume. talk show host Arsenio Hall, rockers Ray Manzarek (The Doors), Michael McDonald (The Doobie Brothers), Chynna Phillips (Wilson Phillips) and Jim Creeggan (Barenaked Ladies); actors Joe Don Baker and Josh Brolin; and actress Christina Ricci.

Today’s Questions:

Name something that you’re picky about, and explain why.

Name something that you are easygoing about, and explain why.

Name something you are passionate about, and explain why.

Name something that you couldn’t care less about, and explain why.

Today in History
1541 - The city of Santiago, Chile is founded.
1554 - Lady Jane Grey is beheaded after being charged with treason. She had claimed the throne of England for only nine days.
1733 - Savannah, GA, is founded by English colonist James Oglethorpe.
1870 - In the Utah Territory, women gain the right to vote.
1878 - Frederick W. Thayer patents the baseball catcher’s mask.
1879 - The first artificial ice rink opens in North America. It is at Madison Square Garden in New York City, NY.
1880 - The National Croquet League is organized in Philadelphia,
PA.
1892 - In the U.S., President Lincoln's birthday is declared to be a national holiday.
1907 - A collision of the steamer Larchmont and a schooler results in the death of more than 300 people. The incident occurs off New England's Block Island.
1909 - The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) is founded.
1912 - China's boy emperor Hsuan T'ung announces that he was abdicating, ending the Manchu Ch'ing dynasty. Subsequently, the Republic of China is established.
1915 - The cornerstone of the Lincoln Memorial is laid in Washington, DC.
1918 - All theaters in New York City are shut down in an effort to conserve coal.
1924 - U.S. President Calvin Coolidge makes the first presidential political speech on radio.
1924 - "The Eveready Hour" becomes radio’s first sponsored network program. The National Carbon Company is the first sponsor of a network show.
1934 - The Export-Import Bank is incorporated.
1940 - Mutual Radio presents the first broadcast of the radio play "The Adventures of Superman."
1968 - Soul on Ice by Eldridge Cleaver is published for the first time.
1971 - James Cash (J.C.) Penney dies at the age of 95. The company closes for business for one-half day as a memorial to the company's founder.
1973 - The State of Ohio goes metric, becoming the first in the U.S. to post metric distance signs.
1973 - American prisoners of war are released for the first time during the Vietnam conflict.
1985 - Johnny Carson surprises his audience by shaving the beard he had been wearing on "The Tonight Show."
1993 - In Liverpool, England, a 2-year-old boy, James Bulger, is lured away from his mother at a shopping mall and beaten to death. Two ten-year-old boys are responsible.
1998 - A U.S. federal judge declares that the presidential line-item veto is unconstitutional.
1999 - U.S. President Clinton is acquitted by the U.S. Senate on two impeachment articles. The charges are perjury and obstruction of justice.
2001 - The space probe NEAR lands on the asteroid Eros. It is the first time that any craft had landed on a small space rock.
2002 - Kenneth Lay, former Enron CEO, exercises his constitutional rights and refuses to testify to the U.S. Congress about the collapse of Enron.
2002 - The trial of former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic begins at the U.N. tribunal in The Hague. Milosevic is accused of war crimes during the Balkan wars of the 1990s.
2002 - Pakistan charges three men in connection with the kidnapping of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl in Karachi.
2002 - Princess Stephanie of Monaco and Franco Knie win a defamation-of-character lawsuit against the Swiss magazine Facts. The case involves a photomontage created by the magazine.
2003 - The U.N. nuclear agency declares North Korea in violation of international treaties. The complaint is sent to the Security Council.
2004 - Mattel announces that "Barbie" and "Ken" are breaking up. The dolls had met on the set of their first television commercial together in 1961.
2013 - North Korea conducts its third underground nuclear test.

Word of the Day:
springe noun /sprinj/
A noose or snare for catching small game.

Quote of the Day:
“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.”
- Abraham Lincoln

Today is:
Lincoln’s Birthday
NAACP Day
Oglethorpe Day
Paul Bunyan Day
Safetypup Day
World Marriage Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 10:03 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, February 12, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Aquarius. Some famous people who share your birthday are Abraham Lincoln, Charles Darwin, filmmaker Franco Zeffirelli, basketball legend Bill Russell, author Judy Blume. talk show host Arsenio Hall, rockers Ray Manzarek (The Doors), Michael McDonald (The Doobie Brothers), Chynna Phillips (Wilson Phillips) and Jim Creeggan (Barenaked Ladies); actors Joe Don Baker and Josh Brolin; and actress Christina Ricci.

Today’s Questions:

Many things. Not sure why.

Chatting up strangers.

Today in History
1541 - The city of Santiago, Chile is founded.
1554 - Lady Jane Grey is beheaded after being charged with treason. She had claimed the throne of England for only nine days.
1733 - Savannah, GA, is founded by English colonist James Oglethorpe.
1870 - In the Utah Territory, women gain the right to vote.
1878 - Frederick W. Thayer patents the baseball catcher’s mask.
1879 - The first artificial ice rink opens in North America. It is at Madison Square Garden in New York City, NY.
1880 - The National Croquet League is organized in Philadelphia,
PA.
1892 - In the U.S., President Lincoln's birthday is declared to be a national holiday.
1907 - A collision of the steamer Larchmont and a schooler results in the death of more than 300 people. The incident occurs off New England's Block Island.
1909 - The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) is founded.
1912 - China's boy emperor Hsuan T'ung announces that he was abdicating, ending the Manchu Ch'ing dynasty. Subsequently, the Republic of China is established.
1915 - The cornerstone of the Lincoln Memorial is laid in Washington, DC.
1918 - All theaters in New York City are shut down in an effort to conserve coal.
1924 - U.S. President Calvin Coolidge makes the first presidential political speech on radio.
1924 - "The Eveready Hour" becomes radio’s first sponsored network program. The National Carbon Company is the first sponsor of a network show.
1934 - The Export-Import Bank is incorporated.
1940 - Mutual Radio presents the first broadcast of the radio play "The Adventures of Superman."
1968 - Soul on Ice by Eldridge Cleaver is published for the first time.
1971 - James Cash (J.C.) Penney dies at the age of 95. The company closes for business for one-half day as a memorial to the company's founder.
1973 - The State of Ohio goes metric, becoming the first in the U.S. to post metric distance signs.
1973 - American prisoners of war are released for the first time during the Vietnam conflict.
1985 - Johnny Carson surprises his audience by shaving the beard he had been wearing on "The Tonight Show."
1993 - In Liverpool, England, a 2-year-old boy, James Bulger, is lured away from his mother at a shopping mall and beaten to death. Two ten-year-old boys are responsible.
1998 - A U.S. federal judge declares that the presidential line-item veto is unconstitutional.
1999 - U.S. President Clinton is acquitted by the U.S. Senate on two impeachment articles. The charges are perjury and obstruction of justice.
2001 - The space probe NEAR lands on the asteroid Eros. It is the first time that any craft had landed on a small space rock.
2002 - Kenneth Lay, former Enron CEO, exercises his constitutional rights and refuses to testify to the U.S. Congress about the collapse of Enron.
2002 - The trial of former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic begins at the U.N. tribunal in The Hague. Milosevic is accused of war crimes during the Balkan wars of the 1990s.
2002 - Pakistan charges three men in connection with the kidnapping of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl in Karachi.
2002 - Princess Stephanie of Monaco and Franco Knie win a defamation-of-character lawsuit against the Swiss magazine Facts. The case involves a photomontage created by the magazine.
2003 - The U.N. nuclear agency declares North Korea in violation of international treaties. The complaint is sent to the Security Council. I can see that put an end to it...
2004 - Mattel announces that "Barbie" and "Ken" are breaking up. The dolls had met on the set of their first television commercial together in 1961.
2013 - North Korea conducts its third underground nuclear test.

Word of the Day:
springe noun /sprinj/

Quote of the Day:
“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.”
- Abraham Lincoln

Today is:
Lincoln’s Birthday
NAACP Day
Oglethorpe Day
Paul Bunyan Day
Safetypup Day
World Marriage Day
Thanks Bay! Nice job!

Old 02-11-2017, 10:15 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,070,158 times
Today’s Questions:

Name something that you’re picky about, and explain why. I'm picky about English grammar. Poor English usage by highly educated people annoys the heck out of me.

Name something that you are easygoing about, and explain why. Cooking. I love to cook, and if I don't have a needed ingredient or if something goes wrong, I roll with it and still make it work. I enjoy the challenge.

Name something you are passionate about, and explain why. My Christian faith. I have an innate longing to know my Creator and to be worthy of His grace. Yet, Christianity teaches us that the very definition of grace is that it cannot be earned. It is the ultimate gift of love. Still, I find myself trying to measure up.

Name something that you couldn’t care less about, and explain why. Celebrities and their stupid drama.

Word of the Day:
springe noun /sprinj/
That's a new one to me.

Quote of the Day:
- Abraham Lincoln

Today is:
Lincoln’s Birthday Happy birthday, Mister President!
NAACP Day
Oglethorpe Day
Paul Bunyan Day He made all those 10,000 lakes in Minnesota.
Safetypup Day Hooray for Safety Pup!
World Marriage Day

Happy Sunday, everyone.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-11-2017 at 10:52 PM..

Old 02-11-2017, 10:49 PM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Today’s Questions:

Name something that you’re picky about, and explain why. Food, cuz I don't want to get sick.

Name something that you are easygoing about, and explain why. Flying high, cuz it's fun.

Name something you are passionate about, and explain why. Breathing, cuz I don't like the alternative.

Name something that you couldn’t care less about, and explain why. Current TV sitcom shows, cuz they are garbage.

Hi Bay, tanx pass me some more cough medicine puleeze .

Old 02-11-2017, 11:18 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
Today’s Questions:
Driving. Don't want a ticket or a wreck.

Most things. Conversation, dealing with kids and pets, and as PJ said, cooking.

Giving a darn. One reason things suck more than they used to is widespread apathy.

Shallow pop culture. Shallow, stupid, lousy values.

T'anks, BA4.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:04 AM

16,673 posts, read 17,440,619 times
Hello Shep (Bay) and all.

Today’s Questions:

I'm picking up on what has already been posted and agree with driving. Far too often it is taken too lightly and what you do behind the wheel doesn't really matter. I like to concentrate on driving and anything else doesn't really matter.

People's beliefs and religions, so long as they don't try to convert me.

Passionate has become such an over used word these days. There's nothing I'm truly passionate about, though close family are an exception. I'm very interested in many things like history, certain cars, the countryside, architecture and so on.

As has been mentioned before, the glorification of 'celebrities'. What a shallow world we live in.

Thanks Shep- and by the way, a friend/colleague has recently launched a new book about Lady Jane Grey- see your dates in history.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:01 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,149,106 times
my coffee - make it myself 1 cup at a time
our pets - time compression; every day is like a week
not wasting water - it's a desert
tv, football, football on tv, commercials on tv - easily found that i could do without

Old 02-12-2017, 06:15 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,597,475 times
Today’s Questions:

im picky about other people using my favorite pens. I keep one at my desk and have one for when I'm away from my desk. It's become a joke with a lot of my colleagues who are learning not to ask me to borrow my pen!

tidyness - at home and work. It's clean but cluttered.

advocating for the families I serve - they all have a member with special needs

well, I'm a sensitive person, but I'm learning to care less and let certain things go - even if I feel misunderstood, or if it stings at first.

Today in History
2004 - Mattel announces that "Barbie" and "Ken" are breaking up. The dolls had met on the set of their first television commercial together in 1961. i totally missed this - tragic!

Thanks Bay! Enjoy your Sunday everyone!

Old 02-12-2017, 06:25 AM

27,349 posts, read 27,402,913 times
I'm picky about some foods, example I don't like raisins but if I see a big cinnamon roll but it has raisins, might still get it then pick them all out and set them aside. When I buy Raisin Bran, I take them all out of my bowl (before adding the milk of course) and give them to someone else who likes em.
Something I care less about, um, someone got upset because I dislike something they happen to admire, so I better not answer that one...... hamd:
Sun day fun day!

Last edited by country pride; 02-12-2017 at 06:41 AM..

Old 02-12-2017, 07:35 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,909,462 times
Today’s Questions:

Name something that you’re picky about, and explain why. Not leaving dirty dishes in the sink or on the kitchen counter for long. It's a habit that goes back to my childhood I think -- my Mom wouldn't let me go out to play, or we couldn't play games after dinner until the dishes were done. I guess I like things tidy.

Name something that you are easygoing about, and explain why. Eating at the dining room table. I'm perfectly happy eating off a tray in front of TV or the computer.

Name something you are passionate about, and explain why. Paintings. The best of them fill me with wonder. The unfathomable ones just make me wonder!

Name something that you couldn’t care less about, and explain why. Rap. Don't understand the attraction.

Thanks B4 and happy day everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics