Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 12:41 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times

Advertisements

[quote=Bayarea4;47164767]Welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, February 12, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Aquarius. Some famous people who share your birthday are Abraham Lincoln, Charles Darwin, filmmaker Franco Zeffirelli, basketball legend Bill Russell, author Judy Blume. talk show host Arsenio Hall, rockers Ray Manzarek (The Doors), Michael McDonald (The Doobie Brothers), Chynna Phillips (Wilson Phillips) and Jim Creeggan (Barenaked Ladies); actors Joe Don Baker and Josh Brolin; and actress Christina Ricci.

Today’s Questions:

Name something that you’re picky about, and explain why.

Friends. There are way too many takers out there that don't give back.
Name something that you are easygoing about, and explain why.
Children. They're noisy little beings with limitless energy. They can be tedious sometimes if you don't have the patience.

Name something you are passionate about, and explain why.

My fur babies. Just look in those big brown eyes
Name something that you couldn’t care less about, and explain why.

Thugs killing each other. Enough said.

Today in History
1541 - The city of Santiago, Chile is founded.
1554 - Lady Jane Grey is beheaded after being charged with treason. She had claimed the throne of England for only nine days.
1733 - Savannah, GA, is founded by English colonist James Oglethorpe.
1870 - In the Utah Territory, women gain the right to vote.
1878 - Frederick W. Thayer patents the baseball catcher’s mask.
1879 - The first artificial ice rink opens in North America. It is at Madison Square Garden in New York City, NY.
1880 - The National Croquet League is organized in Philadelphia,
PA.
1892 - In the U.S., President Lincoln's birthday is declared to be a national holiday.
1907 - A collision of the steamer Larchmont and a schooler results in the death of more than 300 people. The incident occurs off New England's Block Island.
1909 - The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) is founded.
1912 - China's boy emperor Hsuan T'ung announces that he was abdicating, ending the Manchu Ch'ing dynasty. Subsequently, the Republic of China is established.
1915 - The cornerstone of the Lincoln Memorial is laid in Washington, DC.
1918 - All theaters in New York City are shut down in an effort to conserve coal.
1924 - U.S. President Calvin Coolidge makes the first presidential political speech on radio.
1924 - "The Eveready Hour" becomes radio’s first sponsored network program. The National Carbon Company is the first sponsor of a network show.
1934 - The Export-Import Bank is incorporated.
1940 - Mutual Radio presents the first broadcast of the radio play "The Adventures of Superman."
1968 - Soul on Ice by Eldridge Cleaver is published for the first time.
1971 - James Cash (J.C.) Penney dies at the age of 95. The company closes for business for one-half day as a memorial to the company's founder.
1973 - The State of Ohio goes metric, becoming the first in the U.S. to post metric distance signs.
1973 - American prisoners of war are released for the first time during the Vietnam conflict.
1985 - Johnny Carson surprises his audience by shaving the beard he had been wearing on "The Tonight Show."
1993 - In Liverpool, England, a 2-year-old boy, James Bulger, is lured away from his mother at a shopping mall and beaten to death. Two ten-year-old boys are responsible.
1998 - A U.S. federal judge declares that the presidential line-item veto is unconstitutional.
1999 - U.S. President Clinton is acquitted by the U.S. Senate on two impeachment articles. The charges are perjury and obstruction of justice.
2001 - The space probe NEAR lands on the asteroid Eros. It is the first time that any craft had landed on a small space rock.
2002 - Kenneth Lay, former Enron CEO, exercises his constitutional rights and refuses to testify to the U.S. Congress about the collapse of Enron.
2002 - The trial of former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic begins at the U.N. tribunal in The Hague. Milosevic is accused of war crimes during the Balkan wars of the 1990s.
2002 - Pakistan charges three men in connection with the kidnapping of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl in Karachi.
2002 - Princess Stephanie of Monaco and Franco Knie win a defamation-of-character lawsuit against the Swiss magazine Facts. The case involves a photomontage created by the magazine.
2003 - The U.N. nuclear agency declares North Korea in violation of international treaties. The complaint is sent to the Security Council.
2004 - Mattel announces that "Barbie" and "Ken" are breaking up. The dolls had met on the set of their first television commercial together in 1961.
2013 - North Korea conducts its third underground nuclear test.

Word of the Day:
springe noun /sprinj/
A noose or snare for catching small game.

Quote of the Day:
“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.”
- Abraham Lincoln

Today is:
Lincoln’s Birthday
NAACP Day
Oglethorpe Day
Paul Bunyan Day
Safetypup Day
World Marriage Day

Thanks Bay. Joe Joe was acting weird earlier and I think he's been having mild seizures once in awhile. I took him for a walk and he came home back to his old self. I'm finally starting to feel a tad better and want to ice skate tomorrow. I hope you are all healthy and Wit I hope you're feeling better too. This is an icky bug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 02:51 PM

7,336 posts, read 2,742,977 times
Today’s Questions:

Name something that you’re picky about, and explain why. Before retirement I was very picky about how my job was done. I am picky about the way people treat books. I don't like dog eared pages or people that mistreat books. I am picky about the way I drive. I am picky about my friends.

Name something that you are easygoing about, and explain why. I have become very easygoing about most things in life. If it isn't something that is going damage a person or property then.... I let others live their lives and hope they do the same with me.

Name something you are passionate about, and explain why. I was very passionate about my job. My job made a difference in people's lives. I find I still have that passion when speaking to someone about it. I am passionate about my kids and grandkids.

Name something that you couldn’t care less about, and explain why. 99% of the so called celebrities and their lives. My life is full enough with my family and friends. I don't need to know about the celebs and their every breath.

Thanks Bay for the questions. I hope you all have a wonderful week ahead.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:52 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Today’s Questions:

I am picky where I sit on an airplane. I can't sit for a long time so I will only take an aisle seat. That includes in first class.

Amtrak trains usually running late. If I am taking the train I am not in a hurry

Aviation. Been around it all my life.

As of the past few years it is holidays. My parents are gone and I don't live close to any family. Growing up holidays were all about sharing time with family.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:24 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Today’s Questions:
I am picky about shoes. They have to fit just right. I am not going to sacrifice comfort for the sake of vanity. Why? I'm over 65 and past the point of caring about keeping up with trends.

I am pretty easygoing about food. Why? My parents lived through the Depression, and I was taught as a child that you eat what's in front of you and don't complain about it. I could never understand people who have a lot of rules about what they'll eat and what they won't eat.
I am passionate about classic movies. I watch TCM all the time and have a pretty decent collection of books on classic film and biographies of the stars. Why? When I was little, TV stations played a lot of old movies, and I grew up loving Shirley Temple, the Little Rascals, Warner Bros. cartoons, the Three Stooges and Laurel and Hardy. I was fascinated by the look of those old films - the fashions, the houses, the cars, the sense of style. I wanted to live inside a classic movie instead of where I really lived, the flat, boring Northern California suburbs.
I am indifferent to most TV situation comedies, dramas and reality shows. Why? I find non-fiction, such as documentaries and news programs, to be much more interesting. Also, I really dislike laugh tracks and will not watch any show that uses them.

Thank you to all who responded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics