Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 12:10 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times

Advertisements

Would you rather take a long, relaxed drive - with someone else driving, if you prefer - among mountains or on a flat plain?

mountains. never know what's around the bend.

Do you wish billboards were illegal or can they be a form of public art as well as advertising?

All advertising should be illegal.

Of the vehicle you're most likely to drive/ride in, do you know how much fuel the vehicle's tank holds?
12 I think

Do you know or can you guess what the vehicle's range is, that is, how far could it go on the highway on a full tank?

I just calculated it last week: 31 mpg so about 375 miles

What product(s) do you wish a company would ask you about in a survey or focus group?

none. zilch. nada.

Have you ever preferred the impractical to the practical or "followed your heart and not your head?" both at one time or another.

Bonus Meal with a Musician Section:
Would you want to sit down to:
-Cheeseburgers with Jimmy Buffett?
-Meatless Monday meal with Paul McCartney?
-Chicken dinner with Dolly Parton?

And/Or you tell us, what meal with what famous living musician?
a fajita with Linda Ronstadt

Foodie Questions:
What food or drink are you jonesing for/craving right now?

2AM-time for a bowl of oatmeal

How big a fan are you of pumpkin pie?
for eating-not especially; for throwing-better than a cream pie. weighs more so it's easier to aim.

Just for fun:
Can you tell us about any good deed you know about?

lots on the news. can't remember any around here.

thanks, bjh.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 12:52 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Maybe we can de-stress a bit from this difficult week with . . .

Today's Random Question(s):
Would you rather take a
long, relaxed drive - with someone else driving, if you prefer - among mountains or on a flat plain?

Do you wish billboards were illegal or can they be a form of public art as well as advertising?

Of the vehicle you're most likely to drive/ride in, do you know how much fuel the vehicle's tank holds?
10/12 gal
Do you know or can you guess what the vehicle's range is, that is, how far could it go on the highway on a full tank? No idea

What product(s) do you wish a company would ask you about in a survey or focus group?
Don't answer surveys

[/u]Would you want to sit down to:

How big a fan are you of pumpkin pie? Not my favorite

Walk Your Dog Week

Wishing all a happy, healthy Thursday!
Thanks bjh have a good one

Last edited by toosie; 10-05-2017 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting so color shows at dolly answer

Old 10-05-2017, 02:19 AM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Bonjour bjh.

Would you rather take a long, relaxed drive - with someone else driving, if you prefer - among mountains or on a flat plain?

I tend to want to drive whatever the journey in the main.

I like that road out of Austin in Texas that Ladybird Johnson managed to rid of all street furniture- billboards etc.

Yes- absolutely precisely.

Do you know or can you guess what the vehicle's range is, that is, how far could it go on the highway on a full tank?

Coincidentally I had to double check these figures in the last couple of days. We are both taking our cars back to the UK this week. In fact Mrs J left a couple of hours ago. There has been some industrial action up in the north of France with fuel supplies being targeted. One car barely has the range to get to the ferry terminal but things have subsided and all should be good.

The other car, driven sensibly on a long run has a range of 700 miles plus, so no problems there.

Hmm... How about a company producing air heat exchange systems, with the offer of a reduced price if I take part?

Have you ever preferred the impractical to the practical or "followed your heart and not your head?"

Sometimes, but generally not. However the two are not always mutually exclusive!

Although all three above are probably lovely people, maybe one or two members of Fleetwood Mac?

Foodie Questions:
What food or drink are you jonesing for/craving right now? Am drinking fresh ground coffee at the moment- that's my fix.

How big a fan are you of pumpkin pie? Not especially.

Just for fun:

Locally someone who buys up cheap property and does them up gave a building to someone who was having a bad time and got it set up as a café. A lovely gesture!

Thanks bjh- love the photo by the way.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:08 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Would you rather take a
long, relaxed drive - with someone else driving, if you prefer - among mountains or on a flat plain? mountains please

Do you wish billboards were illegal or can they be a form of public art as well as advertising? neither

Of the vehicle you're most likely to drive/ride in, do you know how much fuel the vehicle's tank holds? round about - yes

Do you know or can you guess what the vehicle's range is, that is, how far could it go on the highway on a full tank? pretty much, yes

uhhhhh - dunno. I'd like to do a focus group for something I use.
[b]Have you ever preferred the impractical to the practical or "followed your heart and not your head?"
oh sure - and followed my gut. Following my gut has served me well

-Chicken dinner with Dolly Parton? dolly

And/Or you tell us, what meal with what famous living musician? thanksgiving with warren zevon. Again.

Foodie Questions:
What food or drink are you jonesing for/craving right now? nothing besides maybe some water. Around 10am here I'll take anything

How big a fan are you of pumpkin pie? medium. I prefer sweet potato pie but enjoy pumpkin pie if it's right there in front of me.

Just for fun:
Can you tell us about any good deed you know about? a sweet one recently was when a kid wiped out at the threshold of our building - books scattered everywhere. A soldier in uniform strolled over and helped pick everything up.

Wishing all a happy, healthy Thursday! thanks - you as well!

Old 10-05-2017, 04:49 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

I do not prefer someone else in the car with me. I keep my camera and equipment on the passenger seat. I actually prefer a flat plain because 1) every outdoor photographer I know takes mountain photos because we have them where I live so I want something different and 2) because I want some thing in my photos other than streams, lakes or waterfall because, again, they are too common around here. You know, people who live at or near the beach head for the mountains and people who live in or near the mountains head for the beach just for a change of pace.

Do you wish billboards were illegal or can they be a form of public art as well as advertising? I don't know about art but I see so few, really have no opinion.

Of the vehicle you're most likely to drive/ride in, do you know how much fuel the vehicle's tank holds? I think so.

Do you know or can you guess what the vehicle's range is, that is, how far could it go on the highway on a full tank? No

What product(s) do you wish a company would ask you about in a survey or focus group? None. I want them to quit with the customer satisfaction surveys. I have never in my life seen so many companies looking for constant feedback. Enough already.

Have you ever preferred the impractical to the practical or "followed your heart and not your head?" No

-Cheeseburgers with Jimmy Buffett? No
-Meatless Monday meal with Paul McCartney? No
-Chicken dinner with Dolly Parton? No

And/Or you tell us, what meal with what famous living musician? None. Beyond, "I like your stuff," I'd have nothing to say to them.

Foodie Questions:
None. It's 6:55A. Have morning doctor appt.

How big a fan are you of pumpkin pie? Would never buy it or order it but if someone was serving it at their house, I'd eat it. Don't dislike it. There are just other pies I like better.

Just for fun:
Have a friend who does meals on wheels delivery type of thing with their church.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:53 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
[quote=bjh;49727606]Maybe we can de-stress a bit from this difficult week with . . .

Would you rather take a
long, relaxed drive - with someone else driving, if you prefer - among mountains or on a flat plain?

Mountains, though endlessly twisting roads can get to be monotonous too. I guess if you are not the one driving it might seem more scenic.

We have none where I live. In the 90's when I drove around the NYC region I don't remember billboards on the highway. I remember them in the Forties and Fifties - everywhere - but I thought they all vanished in NY state sometime after that.

Of the vehicle you're most likely to drive/ride in, do you know how much fuel the vehicle's tank holds? Haven't a clue, would have to look it up.

Do you know or can you guess what the vehicle's range is, that is, how far could it go on the highway on a full tank? Nope

Lands End clothing

Have you ever preferred the impractical to the practical or "followed your heart and not your head?" If we can include - Done stupid things you never should have given a second thought to, yes.

-Cheeseburgers with Jimmy Buffett? I better pass, I cannot recall who he is....country & western maybe, which I don't listen to much.
-Meatless Monday meal with Paul McCartney? No, as he got older he really began to wear on me.
-Chicken dinner with Dolly Parton? Yes, I think there is a person who would talk your arm off but that you could butt in and shoot off yours and it wouldn't ruffle her feathers.

And/Or you tell us, what meal with what famous living musician? I saw a documentary about a French counter-tenor, Phillipe Jaroussky and he impressed me as a fascinating guy. For being in such a niche vocal classification and singing a relatively limited classical repertoire, he had some incredible sources of inspiration for his career that were to far from where he ended up I was really amazed at the guy's vocal and career trajectory, and he struck me as a very earnest, enthusiastic person. So, I'd really like to have dinner with him.

Foodie Questions:
What food or drink are you jonesing for/craving right now? A glass of water.

How big a fan are you of pumpkin pie? Rah-rah-rah siss-boom-bah, luv it.

Just for fun:
Can you tell us about any good deed you know about? Yes, if you have lots of patience. For background, as many of you know I am 79 and need to walk with elbow canes, though I walk very well with them. As I was leaving a cafe after breakfast and crossing the empty parking lot, I heard someone yelling for help. I looked around, saw no one and was about to go to my car...when the someone yell in English (this is Portugal), "You, you!" I looked around and then spied a head and the top of a yellow blouse at the end of the lot, where there is a slight step down.

There I found a woman who breakfasts at the cafe lying on the ground with trowel and watering can around her. I have avoided her for years by choice, and now the Fickle Finger of Fate has made me her rescuer. She cannot get up, no one is around...so figuring as she has no pain she can hold onto one cane and just lever herself to standing. No, she plops back down. Finally I get her to get on her knees..."I can't." But she then grabs me, not the cane to try to yank her very hefty self up. So, I have to quickly jam the other cane forward, or we will both end up in some carnal-looking pile on ground for all the world to find eventually.

She makes it up and sits on a bench. I hear a lecture of every disease and condition she has and every medication she takes, and learn that she is a decade younger than myself...which somehow, strikes me as funny. I was almost laughing, but....

A big man approaches. He starts talking angrily in Portuguese, and she begins chirping away at him now about how she was planting cuttings from her potted plants in this roughly constructed planter with a few desperate plants in it at the edge of the parking....and and and......

The next ten minutes are endless...only to say as the bottom line that though it is a "public", i.e. nobody's planter, he has been using it as it is next to his apartment. She know this says she, as he has tried a bit of English. I am in between now, trying to condense each one's outbursts for the other...and I am not super at Portuguese. It all felt to pieces he starts yelling about he has permission, she starts calling him an "ignorant jackass!" (which I did not translate.) Bottom line he has permission from City Hall, and she is in fact butting in on his territory....but she ain't seeing it that way. She is Britain's answer to Luther Burbank and he can just shove off if he doesn't get it...I mean, really we are guests here!

She then bounded around the planter in surprisingly lively fashion for a fall victim, and ripped up the things she had planted (three mangy twigs to be honest), and he is telling her that it is his water hose that would be watering her damned plants!!!!

He stomped off. She started a verbal hissie fit to Heaven. And I fled to my car....now she knows my name, and I am sure she believes we are allies against the ungrateful Portuguese.

The hell with good deeds!

Top Music Hits This Day:
1949 Frankie Laine - That Lucky Old Sun
1958 Tommy Edwards - Many a Tear has to Fall, But It's All In The Game
1966 Association - Cherish is the Word
1967 Box Tops - My Baby Just Wrote Me A Letter
1968 Beatles - Hey Jude
1977 Meco - Star Wars Theme
1979 Robert John - Sad Eyes Turn the Other Way
1980 Queen - Another One Bites the Dust
1985 Dire Straits - Money for Nothing
1987 Whitesnake - Here I Go Again on My Own
2009 Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
2013 Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball

Today's Rhyming Quote:
"What moistens the lips and what brightens the eye?
What calls back the past, like the rich pumpkin pie?"
~ John Greenleaf Whittier

Today’s Word:
portage [pawr-tij or pawr-tahzh] noun
the carrying of boats and goods overland from one navigable
water to another and the associated route and costs

Some ancestors of mine lived in a settlement called The Carrying Place, which was a portage between Lake Ontario and the Bay of Quinte.

Today Includes:
World Teachers Day (a day for kpinvt )

This Week Includes:
American Beer Festival Week
Carry A Tune Week
Chimney Safety Week
Walk Your Dog Week

October Includes:
American Cheese Month
German-American Heritage Month
Italian-American Heritage Month
Polish-American Heritage Month
Photographer Appreciation Month
Pickled Peppers Month
Popcorn Poppin’ Month
Pretzel Month
Sarcastic Awareness Month
Workplace Politics Awareness Month

Today's Picture:
These over and underwater pics are kind of cool, no? Here, man in a boat over coral reefs in Indonesia.

I never knew broccoli grew underwater!

Old 10-05-2017, 05:01 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,871,132 times
Would you rather take a
long, relaxed drive - with someone else driving, if you prefer - among mountains or on a flat plain? I will drive through the mountains.

Do you wish billboards were illegal or can they be a form of public art as well as advertising? Billboards are banned in Vermont; have been for years & I prefer it that way.

Of the vehicle you're most likely to drive/ride in, do you know how much fuel the vehicle's tank holds? Don't know.... I'd guess 15+

Do you know or can you guess what the vehicle's range is, that is, how far could it go on the highway on a full tank? Guessing 500+ miles

What product(s) do you wish a company would ask you about in a survey or focus group? Oh.... hm.

Have you ever preferred the impractical to the practical or "followed your heart and not your head?" I am a follow your heart kind of person. If that makes me impractical, oh well.

Foodie Questions:
What food or drink are you jonesing for/craving right now? Not a thing. I haven't been up long & am never hungry in the morning.

How big a fan are you of pumpkin pie? I am, though rather have pumpkin cheesecake.

Just for fun:
Can you tell us about any good deed you know about? Last week we had a third grader who was abandoned. Grandparents were raising him & they decided they didn't want him. They put all of his things outside of the house. A teacher took him in until a family was found where he could stay. This is not as rare an event as some might think.

Top Music Hits This Day:
1968 Beatles - Hey Jude

Today's Rhyming Quote:

Today’s Word:

Today Includes:
World Teachers Day (a day for kpinvt ) Thanks! I'm going out for dinner tonight with some friends who are retired teachers.

This Week Includes:
Carry A Tune Week
Chimney Safety Week
Walk Your Dog Week

October Includes:
American Cheese Month
Pickled Peppers Month
Popcorn Poppin’ Month
Pretzel Month

Today's Picture:
These over and underwater pics are kind of cool, no? Here, man in a boat over coral reefs in Indonesia.

Beautiful!
Wishing all a happy, healthy Thursday! Thanks, bjh!

Old 10-05-2017, 06:09 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times

Would you rather take a
I'd rather do the driving and I would prefer taking a ride in the mountains

They are so ugly, I wish they were illegal

good question, I think mine holds 15 gallons

About 300 miles I think

I have no idea, maybe certain clothing companies

Have you ever preferred the impractical to the practical or "followed your heart and not your head?"
I always followed my heart and it was a mistake every time. I use my head more now that I've gotten older and the bipolar disorder is more in check.

I'd also like to have dinner with the band "Train"

Foodie Questions:
Anything right now will do, I can't eat or drink anything because I have CT scan later this morning

How big a fan are you of pumpkin pie?
not a fan at all

Just for fun:
No good deeds being done around here lately but according to the news there were several heroes during the recent Las Vegas shooting. So very sad

Top Music Hits This Day:
1968 Beatles - Hey Jude

Today's Rhyming Quote:

Today’s Word:

Today Includes:

This Week Includes:
Carry A Tune Week wish I could!
Chimney Safety Week
Walk Your Dog Week

October Includes:
American Cheese Month
Pickled Peppers Month
Popcorn Poppin’ Month
Pretzel Month

Today's Picture:

Thanks bjh!

Old 10-05-2017, 06:11 AM

126,280 posts, read 19,053,589 times

Would you rather take a long, relaxed drive - with someone else driving, if you prefer - among mountains or on a flat plain? Among mountains

Do you wish billboards were illegal or can they be a form of public art as well as advertising? I think they are rather a distraction

Of the vehicle you're most likely to drive/ride in, do you know how much fuel the vehicle's tank holds? Don't know

Do you know or can you guess what the vehicle's range is, that is, how far could it go on the highway on a full tank? 500 km

What product(s) do you wish a company would ask you about in a survey or focus group? My mind is blank at the moment......

Have you ever preferred the impractical to the practical or "followed your heart and not your head?" Followed my heart many times.....

And/Or you tell us, what meal with what famous living musician? an Italian pasta meal with Luciano Pavarotti

Foodie Questions:
What food or drink are you jonesing for/craving right now? None at the moment but will make green tea after the questions

How big a fan are you of pumpkin pie? I don't like the taste of pumpkin pie

Just for fun:
Can you tell us about any good deed you know about? There are so many heroes out there who help others in need most recently with the natural disasters as it was reported.I know seniors in their 80s and up who volunteer in a hospital to brighten a patients stay,talking to them,calming them down,handing out magazines.I admire these seniors

Top Music Hits This Day:
1968 Beatles - Hey Jude

Today's Rhyming Quote:

Today’s Word:

Today Includes:

This Week Includes:
Carry A Tune Week
Chimney Safety Week
Walk Your Dog Week

October Includes:
American Cheese Month
Pickled Peppers Month
Popcorn Poppin’ Month
Pretzel Month

Today's Picture:
These over and underwater pics are kind of cool, no? Here, man in a boat over coral reefs in Indonesia....nice picture

Thank you bjh

Old 10-05-2017, 06:34 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,325 times

Would you rather take a
long, relaxed drive - with someone else driving, if you prefer - among mountains or on a flat plain? ..............Mountains work for me.

Do you wish billboards were illegal or can they be a form of public art as well as advertising? .................Sometimes they help with knowing which exit to take but I don't like to see lots of them.

Of the vehicle you're most likely to drive/ride in, do you know how much fuel the vehicle's tank holds? ................I know about how much it takes to fill it up.

Do you know or can you guess what the vehicle's range is, that is, how far could it go on the highway on a full tank? ......................My vehicle tells me how many miles I can go with the fuel that's in the tank.

What product(s) do you wish a company would ask you about in a survey or focus group? .............Every automotive company needs to talk to me about visibility. I'm short and it's nearly impossible for me to see out of most vehicles. Even the power seats won't go up far enough on some models.

Have you ever preferred the impractical to the practical or "followed your heart and not your head?" ..............I'm practical most of the time but I do have my moments when I splurge big time.

-Chicken dinner with Dolly Parton? .................Dining with Dolly would be a hoot!

And/Or you tell us, what meal with what famous living musician? ....................I'd love to dine with Don Henley. I'd even let him choose the food.

Foodie Questions:
What food or drink are you jonesing for/craving right now? ................Nothing food wise at the moment. It's still early. I am drinking some ice tea.

How big a fan are you of pumpkin pie? ...................I like mine.

Just for fun:
Can you tell us about any good deed you know about? ................When I stopped to get my vehicle filled up one evening the teen aged boy working didn't have a coat on. I commented about it and he told me he didn't have one. I went home got a winter coat and took it back to him. Every time I went by the gas station and saw him wearing that coat it made me happy that I took a few extra minutes to help him out.

Top Music Hits This Day:
1968 Beatles - Hey Jude

Today's Rhyming Quote:

Today’s Word:

Today Includes:

This Week Includes:
Carry A Tune Week
Chimney Safety Week
Walk Your Dog Week

October Includes:
American Cheese Month
Pickled Peppers Month
Popcorn Poppin’ Month
Pretzel Month

Today's Picture:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics