Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2016, 11:20 AM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times

Advertisements

** I had a Fender guitar and amp around 1955, years later I worked around the corner from the Fender factory, many years later I live in the same town the Fender Custom Guitar factory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 12:37 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Yes. When I was a teen in the 1960s, I bought a used Harmony Bobcat H-15 electric guitar (a terrible brand) and a small Fender Champ AA764 amp for $50. In 2014 I sold the amp for close to $500 and the guitar went for $400.

Maybe this post should have been placed in the Paranormal froums? As I was writing it, my grand daughter called me to tell me she just brought home a Hughes and Kettner tube head. (key Twilight Zone music here.)

But I'm so old I remember sitting with my brother and sister on my aunt's goose down mattress and listening to The Lone Ranger on a floor-standing tube radio the size of a small apartment refrigerator. I think that would have been ca 1954/1955.
Yes ...... that warm glow from the tubes. My grand parents had a "ALL WOOD AM Radio Floor Model " Lone Ranger - The Shadow - Green Hornet - Bosco and the Decoder Ring.. had to have that decoder ring.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:56 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
My grand parents had a "ALL WOOD AM Radio Floor Model " Lone Ranger - The Shadow - Green Hornet - Bosco and the Decoder Ring.. had to have that decoder ring.
Imagine one of those old Zenith radios in a "tiny house". You could use the tubes for heating.

BTW, I still have one. The big radio I mean; not a tiny house.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:00 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Didn't you hand the tools to some one..
Eventually. Over the years, I did learn a thing or two about cars. I know about a service schedule, but there was no way that I could get those lug nuts to give up. I also wasn't going to lie on gravel to change my oil.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:03 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I remember the old soda cans that had the top you pulled off and as a kid you would walk outside barefoot and get a cut on your foot from them.
I remember when you had to open them with a "church key."

Old 11-16-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
** I had a Fender guitar and amp around 1955, years later I worked around the corner from the Fender factory, many years later I live in the same town the Fender Custom Guitar factory.
Remember when there were only four or five good guitar builders that anyone knew anything about; e.g., Gibson, Fender, Martin, Gretsch and to a lesser extent Richenbacker? No one wanted anything built in Japan. Now vintage guitars built in Japan are sought over anything built in China.

It has always been sad to me to see the old American guitar builders moving some of their lines to Asia but I suppose business demanded it once business borders started to disintegrate.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:21 PM

894 posts, read 587,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Sold Burpee flower seeds as a pre-teen and Crowell-Collier encyclopedias and Kirby vacuums as a young adult. Drove a Divco milk truck (no seat - you stood up) for Foremost dairies. My uncle sold Kaisers and Henry Js but I liked Hudsons more. Not an autograph hound, but do have Lawrence Welk's and Red Skelton's. My other two old ones are Senator George Murphy (CA) and Nellie Fox (White Sox 2nd baseman.)

I would rather have my fingernails slowly removed than be forced to watch one more hour-long Lawrence Welk Variety Show.
Lol. I guess I just have an old soul then because even as a little girl I liked the Lawrence Welk Show. (Don't worry. I also liked the Donny & Marie Show, Dance Fever, and Solid Gold.Haha.)

Old 11-16-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I also wasn't going to lie on gravel to change my oil.
Gerania.

You've hit upon the the reason I decided not to follow a career in auto mechanics from my young days in high school auto mechanics. I certainly don't mind hard work but even then I pictured myself at 70 years old down on a cold oily garage floor in the middle of January looking at the dirty side of someone's car..

I have to say though that sitting for hours, weeks, months and years in a hot cubicle in a closed-windowed Federal building dealing with environmental issues that had no solutions short of the use of side arms has a way of changing your perspective on what is, or should be, perceived as "terrible jobs."

I guess jobs are just jobs but I am so old I remember when oil "cans" were actually cardboard.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:00 AM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post

I have to say though that sitting for hours, weeks, months and years in a hot cubicle in a closed-windowed Federal building dealing with environmental issues that had no solutions short of the use of side arms has a way of changing your perspective on what is, or should be, perceived as "terrible jobs."
OMG HPR, thats what my #2 son does for the US Navy. He's had it and taking early retirement. The stories are unbelievable.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:13 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
I'm so old I remember... The drive in.. and sneaking the friends in using the trunk..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics