Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2024, 05:09 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times

Advertisements

A TV being bought, set up and turned on for the first time in the house. The first thing I ever saw on the old black and white was Arthur Godfrey playing the ukulele.

Then, cartoon shows like the Bugs Bunny Road Runner Hour and Flintstones were prime time in the evening.

I was amazed at the realism of Clutch Cargo because the animated characters blinked their eyes.

A bit later, there were all the westerns including Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger, Sugerfoot, Bat Masterson, Cheyenne, Bronco Lane, Broken Arrow and Maverick.

Of course there was The Outer Limits and Twilight Zone.

Watching the Wizard of Oz was an annual event and the first time I saw it on a color TV I was so excited.

There were only 3 channels.

The first TV remote was a tuning fork that activated an electric motor that rotated the channel knob to stops on the 3 channels. It was loud and make a ker-chucnk, ker-chunk as it rotated but it was high tech at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 07:13 AM

14,951 posts, read 9,790,824 times
I'm so old one of my favorite shows on TV was Sea Hunt.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:20 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I'm so old one of my favorite shows on TV was Sea Hunt.

Oh yeah... Lloyd Bridges as Mike Nelson.

The dive gear looked so primitive by today's standards yet it seemed so futuristic at the time.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:28 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
A TV being bought, set up and turned on for the first time in the house. The first thing I ever saw on the old black and white was Arthur Godfrey playing the ukulele.

Then, cartoon shows like the Bugs Bunny Road Runner Hour and Flintstones were prime time in the evening.

I was amazed at the realism of Clutch Cargo because the animated characters blinked their eyes.

A bit later, there were all the westerns including Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger, Sugerfoot, Bat Masterson, Cheyenne, Bronco Lane, Broken Arrow and Maverick.

Of course there was The Outer Limits and Twilight Zone.

Watching the Wizard of Oz was an annual event and the first time I saw it on a color TV I was so excited.

There were only 3 channels.

The first TV remote was a tuning fork that activated an electric motor that rotated the channel knob to stops on the 3 channels. It was loud and make a ker-chucnk, ker-chunk as it rotated but it was high tech at the time.
We only had 3 channels until my parents bought a television with VHF & UHF channels. We didn't get our first color television until I was in high school. It had a problem until my parents finally called the TV repairman. I think he came to the house. He said something about that model having bad solder joints, and resoldered the circuit boards. I was impressed with his knowledge. As I have said before, the "Horse of a different color" scene in The Wizard of Oz went completely over my head until we finally got a color television. Now I have a 4k restored version to watch. Life is good.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:45 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
I remember in the 1950's, if your car purred like a kitten, you had a great car! The quieter the better!
Now, loud mufflers and souped up noisy cars are admired by the young ones.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:40 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I remember my mother ordering stuff out of the catalogue with booklets of those stamps. The worst part was that the booklets were pretty heavy once filled with stamps. It probably wasn't even worth the postage to send them in. But I guess my mother figured that we had earned them and she was going to get something back for them.

I think there was a Green Stamp redemption store in Fort Worth, where we lived. I think my mom got towels and other linens from them.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:44 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I'm so old I use to get "Boy's Life Magazine".

I had one called "Playmate", for elementary school ages. My older sister had one called, "Calling All Girls"--for older girls. I loved the comic books -- Wonder Woman was my favorite.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:59 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't remember that because we got TV Guide. My older sister used to deliver them.
tv guide was the best-selling periodical in America for decades. my mom would mark the upcoming programs she wanted to watch, do the crossword, and generally dog-ear the heck out of each one. shockingly, it's still around, but i can't even remember when i last saw one at the grocery store checkout, or anywhere else for that matter.

https://subscribe.tvguidemagazine.co...xoCv-AQAvD_BwE

Old 03-21-2024, 02:03 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I remember Steve Allen. Then Jack Parr.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:56 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
We only had 3 channels until my parents bought a television with VHF & UHF channels. We didn't get our first color television until I was in high school. It had a problem until my parents finally called the TV repairman. I think he came to the house. He said something about that model having bad solder joints, and resoldered the circuit boards. I was impressed with his knowledge. As I have said before, the "Horse of a different color" scene in The Wizard of Oz went completely over my head until we finally got a color television. Now I have a 4k restored version to watch. Life is good.
These days I find myself getting irritated if a YouTube video is uploaded in anything less than 4K. Growing up we had access to between 1 and 5 TV channels to watch on a low resolution 17" black and white TV. Today I can watch 38 million YouTube channels in full color on a 32" 4K monitor.

It still amazes me that a 15 year old kid today can film YouTube videos on his phone, in resolution and quality that a TV network technician in the 1960s or 70s could have never dreamed of. Hell, 4K video didn't even exist 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics