Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2024, 06:08 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,047,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
I remember incinerators. Well, just one, actually. My dad was a holdout on getting a gas forced-air furnace, so until I was about 7 or 8 years old our house was heated by a coal incinerator in the basement. My older brother was tasked with shoveling coal; what an awful job. A coal truck would come once a month in winter and dump coal into a chute which led to a large bin in our basement. It was messy and dusty. Worst of all, we breathed that coal dust 24/7/365. The coal-laden air left blackish marks on the heating grates and on the walls above the grates. A few times a year, we had a family cleaning day, and one of my jobs was to scrub the coal marks off the grates and walls.

I remember the "clinkers" that formed in the bottom of the incinerator and that I brought one to my second-grade class for Show and Tell.

We were so thrilled when Dad finally caved and bought a "real" furnace like those that everyone else in the neighborhood had.

Our house in Alliance, Ohio had a coal furnace. The basement was divided into 2 parts. One part just for the furnace and coal supply. When my parents replaced the coal furnace with a gas furnace, the basement had a lot more usable space. We moved to Hartville, Ohio to a house with an oil furnace and incinerator. My parents replaced the oil furnace with a gas furnace. The incinerator was converted to gas. I'm sure the incinerator created less pollution than a burn barrel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2024, 10:51 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Our house in Alliance, Ohio had a coal furnace. The basement was divided into 2 parts. One part just for the furnace and coal supply. When my parents replaced the coal furnace with a gas furnace, the basement had a lot more usable space. We moved to Hartville, Ohio to a house with an oil furnace and incinerator. My parents replaced the oil furnace with a gas furnace. The incinerator was converted to gas. I'm sure the incinerator created less pollution than a burn barrel.
It's so weird to me that gas only came to my hometown a couple years before i was born. Every house and building in town still had coal chutes, but all the furnaces were gas by that time. I was told that they were coal chutes, otherwise i would have never known what they were for.

We did still burn our trash in an incinerator. My dad would then shovel the ash into trash cans to be picked up. But that all stopped when the city trash truck caught fire and burned up. After they replaced the truck, they refused to pick up ashes anymore. So my dad hired two guys with a dump truck to clean the remainder of the ash out. That was the last time the incinerator was used.

Old 02-25-2024, 11:25 AM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It's so weird to me that gas only came to my hometown a couple years before i was born. Every house and building in town still had coal chutes, but all the furnaces were gas by that time. I was told that they were coal chutes, otherwise i would have never known what they were for.

We did still burn our trash in an incinerator. My dad would then shovel the ash into trash cans to be picked up. But that all stopped when the city trash truck caught fire and burned up. After they replaced the truck, they refused to pick up ashes anymore. So my dad hired two guys with a dump truck to clean the remainder of the ash out. That was the last time the incinerator was used.
I was on the committee that studied gas conversion for our HOA. We are on oil. Initially I favored conversion but when the upfront cost for the piping and furnace leaped from $15,000 to $22,000 in a short period, I felt we were being gouged. More importantly, I was send, about 50 years old. I did not see any way that I would advertise the cost over the 40 or so years that I have likely to remain. Apparently others felt the same way because the project never happened. Are utility needed, if I remember correctly, 150 out of the 250 units to convert, but even that number kept on changing.

Old 02-27-2024, 12:52 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
I'm so old I remember when they use Aluminum for the top of the Washington Monument, because it was way more valuable than gold. I got to actually see it in 1934 while examining the lighting rods that are up there. They are gold-plated, and platinum-tipped lightning rods. The aluminum pyramid was doing just fine.

However, I don't even know if the lightning rods are still there now.

Spoiler
I'm joking, I'm not really 189 years old

Was wondering who you were. I thought that I, at 88, was the oldest one on CD.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:46 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Yep, Tammy, I also remember the clinkers, coal trucks and chutes. My mom had to go down to the basement of our apartment and shovel the coal into the furnace. (Dad was in England WWII)

How I dreaded those cleaning days with a bucket of Spick and Span.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_and_Span
We had a coal furnace, too. The coal room, bin, took up only about 20% of the cellar. The furnace was about ten feet away. Dad paid an ash man, it was a thing, to haul it off. Mom or dad may have thrown something other than coal in there every once in a while, but we didn't use it as an incinerator.

We burned Anthracite coal in Northeastern Pennsylvania. It's pretty clean. We had radiators so no vent cleaning.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:39 AM

30,501 posts, read 16,206,257 times
seeing Halley's Comet. Only time I will.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:37 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
seeing Halley's Comet. Only time I will.
LOL, I never could see Halley's Comet. But I did see Hale-Bopp.

Old 02-29-2024, 03:50 PM

24,451 posts, read 25,987,852 times
I remember getting a record on a cereal box.

Old 03-01-2024, 06:34 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,047,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
LOL, I never could see Halley's Comet. But I did see Hale-Bopp.
I remember when Bill Haley died. And if you're wondering how to pronounce Ace Frehley, it rhymes with Haley (His group Frehley's Comet).

Old 03-05-2024, 10:57 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,471 times
Remember "Kings X"? That bit of magic of crossing your fingers and you were immune from being caught and then being "it" in a game of tag?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics