Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 11:12 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday February 19, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Have you heard a notification sound (such as a ring, ding, or other tone for mobile device) and thought it was yours-
but it was another person’s device instead (whether in real life-at home or out in the world-or noise from a tv show/movie) ?

Extra Credit:
Does any of your clothing (coats, shirts, pants) come with extra buttons (sewn inside/attached) in case one falls off & needs to be replaced ?

Bonus:
If the skin on your face is reactive/sensitive, do you have different soap(s) for your face (than what you use to wash your hands or for bathing) ?

Just for Fun:
If it were technologically doable & at no financial cost to you, would you accept an offer to be among the first civilians to try living on Mars ?

Today in History:
1878: Thomas Edison’s phonograph, for recording and playing back sound, receives a US patent
1954: Birth of singer-songwriter & musician Michael Gira (leader of the music group Swans)
1955: Birth of actor Jeff Daniels (Arachnophobia, The Newsroom)
1957: Birth of actor Ray Winstone (Nil By Mouth, Sexy Beast)
1963: Betty Friedan’s book “The Feminine Mystique” is first published
1966: Birth of actress Justine Bateman (Family Ties, American remake of Men Behaving Badly)
1967: Birth of actor Benicio Del Toro (Snatch, Traffic)
1973: Your eventual Monday QOTD host
makes her corporeal debut, as a human right here on planet Earth
2002: NASA’s Mars Odyssey spacecraft starts its mission of mapping/thermal imaging that planet’s surface

Today’s Word:
ascribe /əˈskrīb/ (vb.): Attribute, whether credit or blame. Assign cause, attach responsibility, suggest as a reason. Consider to be related or associated with.

Today Is:
Presidents Day (U.S.)
National Chocolate Mint Day
State Flag Day (Turkmenistan)
-this week is-
Learning Disabilities Week
National Engineers Week
Bird Health Awareness Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at center left & center right edges-

Thought for the Day:
“I’m never going to go to Mars, but I’ve helped inspire, thank goodness, the people who built the rockets and sent our photographic equipment off to Mars.”
-Ray Bradbury

Wishing you a day of peaceful communion with our wondrous planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 11:18 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times

Today’s Question:
Have you heard a notification sound (such as a ring, ding, or other tone for mobile device) and thought it was yours-
but it was another person’s device instead (whether in real life-at home or out in the world-or noise from a tv show/movie) ? No, I don't carry any devices with me. I have one cell phone and it sits in the vehicle and is used for emergency's primarily. Am happy without all the expensive junk on the market today that goes obsolete every few months.

Extra Credit:
Does any of your clothing (coats, shirts, pants) come with extra buttons (sewn inside/attached) in case one falls off & needs to be replaced ? Not anymore.

Bonus:
If the skin on your face is reactive/sensitive, do you have different soap(s) for your face (than what you use to wash your hands or for bathing) ? I use scent free soaps.

Just for Fun:
If it were technologically doable & at no financial cost to you, would you accept an offer to be among the first civilians to try living on Mars ? No, too old now.

Thanx cloven

Old 02-18-2018, 11:28 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Today’s Question:
Have you heard a notification sound (such as a ring, ding, or other tone for mobile device) and
thought it was yours but it was another person’s device instead (whether in real life-at home
or out in the world-or noise from a tv show/movie) ?
For a split second I've thought ringing on the TV was our phone several times over the years.

Extra Credit:
Does any of your clothing (coats, shirts, pants) come with extra buttons (sewn
inside/attached) in case one falls off & needs to be replaced ?
Lots of trousers and shirts come with spare buttons in the hem or inside near a pocket.

Bonus:
If the skin on your face is reactive/sensitive, do you have different soap(s) for your face (than
what you use to wash your hands or for bathing) ?
No, jsut regular soap.

Just for Fun:
If it were technologically doable & at no financial cost to you, would you accept an offer to be
among the first civilians to try living on Mars ?
No way! I'm staying earthbound.

Today Is:
Chocolate Mint Day

Thanks for the minty fresh questions, cloven.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times

Today’s Question:
but it was another person’s device instead (whether in real life-at home or out in the world-or noise from a tv show/movie) ?

Extra Credit:
Does any of your clothing (coats, shirts, pants) come with extra buttons (sewn inside/attached) in case one falls off & needs to be replaced ?

Bonus:
If the skin on your face is reactive/sensitive, do you have different soap(s) for your face (than what you use to wash your hands or for bathing) ?

Just for Fun:
If it were technologically doable & at no financial cost to you, would you accept an offer to be among the first civilians to try living on Mars ?
No chance!
Today in History:
1878: Thomas Edison’s phonograph, for recording and playing back sound, receives a US patent
1954: Birth of singer-songwriter & musician Michael Gira (leader of the music group Swans)
1955: Birth of actor Jeff Daniels (Arachnophobia, The Newsroom)
1957: Birth of actor Ray Winstone (Nil By Mouth, Sexy Beast)
1963: Betty Friedan’s book “The Feminine Mystique” is first published
1966: Birth of actress Justine Bateman (Family Ties, American remake of Men Behaving Badly)
1967: Birth of actor Benicio Del Toro (Snatch, Traffic)
2002: NASA’s Mars Odyssey spacecraft starts its mission of mapping/thermal imaging that planet’s surface

Today’s Word:
ascribe /əˈskrīb/ (vb.): Attribute, whether credit or blame. Assign cause, attach responsibility, suggest as a reason. Consider to be related or associated with.

Today Is:
Presidents Day (U.S.)
-this week is-
National Engineers Week

Thought for the Day:
“I’m never going to go to Mars, but I’ve helped inspire, thank goodness, the people who built the rockets and sent our photographic equipment off to Mars.”
-Ray Bradbury

Thanks Cloven!

Old 02-19-2018, 12:55 AM

38,895 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Today’s Question:
but it was another person’s device instead (whether in real life-at home or out in the world-or noise from a tv show/movie) ? Yes, that has happened more than once.

Extra Credit:
Does any of your clothing (coats, shirts, pants) come with extra buttons (sewn inside/attached) in case one falls off & needs to be replaced ? Some of my dress shirts do.

Bonus:
If the skin on your face is reactive/sensitive, do you have different soap(s) for your face (than what you use to wash your hands or for bathing) ? N/A

Just for Fun:
If it were technologically doable & at no financial cost to you, would you accept an offer to be among the first civilians to try living on Mars ? No, thank you. Especially after seeing that movie Total Recall.

Have a great start to the new week and Happy President's Day!

Old 02-19-2018, 01:07 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times

Today’s Question:
Oh, that happens to me all the time.

Extra Credit:
Yes, several of my shirts and PJ tops have those extra buttons, and so do some of Mr. Bay's clothing. I've only ever had to use a spare button once, but I think it's a nice feature.
Bonus:
My skin is pretty normal, but since I'm older I am careful not to use any soap or other products that are excessively drying, and I moisturize religiously after cleansing.

Just for Fun:
If it were technologically doable & at no financial cost to you, would you accept an offer to be among the first civilians to try living on Mars?
There is not a snowball's chance in you-know-where I'd ever agree to a thing like that. I like Planet Earth too much.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CLOVEN!

Old 02-19-2018, 01:41 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Today’s Question:
but it was another person’s device instead (whether in real life-at home or out in the world-or noise from a tv show/movie) ? Nope. I use different ring 'n' ding tones from other people.

Extra Credit:
Does any of your clothing (coats, shirts, pants) come with extra buttons (sewn inside/attached) in case one falls off & needs to be replaced ? I've had a few, yes.

Bonus:
If the skin on your face is reactive/sensitive, do you have different soap(s) for your face (than what you use to wash your hands or for bathing) ? I use liquid castile for my face because it's non-drying and washes off my makeup better.

Just for Fun:
If it were technologically doable & at no financial cost to you, would you accept an offer to be among the first civilians to try living on Mars ? Nope! In fact, I think life criminals should be sent there to colonize.

Thanks, Cloven!

Old 02-19-2018, 03:59 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Today’s Question:
- Yes, that has happened. Phone when at work or out and about.

Extra Credit:
- Yes

Bonus:
- Not sensitive but I use different soaps for bathing, washing face, and washing hands.

Just for Fun:
- No interest.

Thanks, cloven. Wishing you a very Happy Birthday!

Old 02-19-2018, 05:40 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Today’s Question:
Have you heard a notification sound (such as a ring, ding, or other tone for mobile device) and thought it was yours- but it was another person’s device instead (whether in real life-at home or out in the world-or noise from a tv show/movie) ?

My cell phone plays "Here With Me" by Dido, currently, when it rings so I never think it's my phone when someone else's phone rings. Even Dido fans probably pick a song of hers that was more popular as a ringtone.

Extra Credit:

Yes, but lots of luck with thinking I'm going to do the sewing.

Bonus:
No.

Just for Fun:

Not at this age and I'd miss the birds and trees.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:15 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,991 times
Today’s Question:
but it was another person’s device instead (whether in real life-at home or out in the world-or noise from a tv show/movie) ? No. If I had a phone other than the landline, it would probably happen.

Extra Credit:
Does any of your clothing (coats, shirts, pants) come with extra buttons (sewn inside/attached) in case one falls off & needs to be replaced ? Many pieces do & some, like coats, have several.

Bonus:
If the skin on your face is reactive/sensitive, do you have different soap(s) for your face (than what you use to wash your hands or for bathing) ? I use creamy cleansers instead of soap.

Just for Fun:
If it were technologically doable & at no financial cost to you, would you accept an offer to be among the first civilians to try living on Mars ? Might consider it if I were much younger and had no family attachments.

Happy Birthday, cloven! Celebrate your day & eat a lot of cake!

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Presidents Day (U.S.)
-this week is-
National Engineers Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at center left & center right edges- Not signed or dated..... new?

Thought for the Day:
-Ray Bradbury

Wishing you a day of peaceful communion with our wondrous planet. Sounds good, esp. with the warm temps the next few days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics